Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Wasteland 2 is awful quiet. Looking forward to some news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Fintilgin posted:

Wasteland 2 is awful quiet. Looking forward to some news.

They are all off to the Cayman Islands for, uh... research. :v:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Tarquinn posted:

They are all off to the Cayman Islands for, uh... research. :v:

Researching what colour Fargo's Ferrari should be.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Red, to go with the boots.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Brian Fargo just tweetd he hopes to have the first screenshots some time next week.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Brown Moses posted:

Brian Fargo just tweetd he hopes to have the first screenshots some time next week.

Wow, that is pretty quick! Publishers really do slow everything down!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

Wow, that is pretty quick! Publishers really do slow everything down!

I'm pretty certain they were working on the basic coding prior to the Kickstarter. That way they can go into their 6-month worldbuilding gaming session with the basics already finished then build and polish everything before October '13.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty certain they were working on the basic coding prior to the Kickstarter. That way they can go into their 6-month worldbuilding gaming session with the basics already finished then build and polish everything before October '13.

But they hadn't even decided on an engine by the time the kickstarter ended.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Did they even announce the engine? Last I heard they were considering two.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I imagine by 'screenshots' they mean the sort of in engine alpha mockup they might use in pitching to a publisher.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rinkles posted:

But they hadn't even decided on an engine by the time the kickstarter ended.

I thought that the Unigine guys offered the engine for free and Fargo was "considering" it, which was a polite way of saying "that's nice, but that's far too complex for what we're doing".

Fintilgin posted:

I imagine by 'screenshots' they mean the sort of in engine alpha mockup they might use in pitching to a publisher.

From my brief foray into game development, they had to have had something substantial if they were pitching it to publishers. Since this is a veteran studio, they likely had a single stage with rough graphics and sample gameplay completed in 4-6 months time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I thought that the Unigine guys offered the engine for free and Fargo was "considering" it, which was a polite way of saying "that's nice, but that's far too complex for what we're doing".

It's gonna be Unity.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

A Brian Fargo Twitter Chain posted:

@BrianFargo You said on Reddit you might hire more writers and to show samples. Where on the site to do so? Thanks!

10 May Brian Fargo ‏ @BrianFargo
Send it directly to chris.keenan@inxile.net
Anyone reading this thread whose life goal was to do post-apocalyptic game design but never knew how to get their foot in the door?

You would think it would have been my childhood dream to make a sequel to Wasteland or something, but really, it was my childhood dream to live in Wasteland.

I hope that one guy who did a fan rewrite of the ending to BioShock that basically turned it into the best ending of any game ever is interested in the post-apocalyptic genre.

Edit: Oh, right, so, yeah, I did not start the Let's Play yet. Trust me when I say I really wanted to already have posted an update or two. (insert "SOON" image macro)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 12, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It's gonna be Unity.

Welp, there goes the hope for linux support. :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Welp, there goes the hope for linux support. :smith:

But they obligated themselves to make a Linux version during the kickstarter, didn't they? It was the 1.5 million milestone, I think.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
They might be using Unity for early prototyping. I understand that is frequently done.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Wikipedia also tells me that Unity is set to become Linux compatible in the future.

quote:

There have been several indications a Linux port is in the works. Specifically, an end-user discovered an option for Linux as a runtime platform in Unity itself[29] and work on a Linux port was later confirmed by a Unity Technologies developer.[30] A prototype of a web-plugin for Firefox on Linux was also blogged about on Unity's corporate blog[31] and another Unity Technologies employee has publicly indicated that work has been done on a Linux port.[32] However, while there has been spare time work done on a Linux port, Unity Technologies have indicated that they don't intend to support Linux unless they see a greater demand for it from their customers who develop games with their engine.[33]
With the upcoming support for Flash,[14] Linux users will be able to play Unity-authored content with a Flash browser plug-in.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Rinkles posted:

But they obligated themselves to make a Linux version during the kickstarter, didn't they? It was the 1.5 million milestone, I think.
Fargo just tweeted: "We will be supporting Linux as promised. They are working closely with us to insure this."

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.

Roman posted:

Fargo just tweeted: "We will be supporting Linux as promised. They are working closely with us to insure this."

Just to add to this, he also tweeted: "We have been supplied the source code to Unity for the express purpose of making the Linux version."

I was expecting them to release something through the chrome native client, but this is a nice surprise :unsmith:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Here's a short article on why Wasteland 2 running on Unity is a very good thing: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wasteland-2-Running-Unity-Gamers-Can-Rejoice-42457.html

quote:

This is really, really, really good news. It's not just good news for Unity Technology because the Unity Engine gets tons of exposure but it's good news for the gaming industry as a whole: a highly requested game is being designed on a cost effective engine.

One of the biggest issues plaguing gaming lately is the bloat associated with a lot of AAA titles. So often we hear the misrepresented line "Video game development costs are rising at an astronomical rate." This is and is not true because video game development costs do not need to rise at an astronomical rate. A lot of it falls on poor money management and failure to utilize cost-effective middleware...and there are plenty of cost-effective middleware options.

Anyways, Brian Fargo, the head of inXile Entertainment, the developers working on the upcoming long-awaited RPG Wasteland 2, tweeted the following about the game's current development progress...

I can officially announce that we've chosen the Unity engine for Wasteland 2. It meets all the criteria we need. First screens looking good.

We've supported and promoted the Unity Engine quite a bit here for a number of reasons, but mainly because 1) it's an affordable engine that scales superbly and 2) developers can output games on-par to what you might find on the Unreal Engine 3 or CryEngine. That's a big deal.

Unity is also a prime culprit for many up-and-coming developers to use while working on demo projects, entry-level design concepts and prototype management. As mentioned, it's a highly scalable engine and this means that Wasteland 2 could potentially look as good as any other big-budget release depending on how the team handles assets and art.

What's more is that Unity has plug-in support for a number of other middleware tool suites, including expedited animation assets from Mixamo, as well as easy-to-use plot-and-graph procedures from xaitment, which can help designers quickly and efficiently produce high quality AI routines on the fly.

I'm just glad that not only has Wasteland 2 successfully managed to secure funding via KickStarter, but that Fargo and crew are making the most of their funds by investing them wisely into middleware tools that will not only cut down design time but also cut down on the cost of production.

You can learn more about Wasteland 2, which is also receiving a bit of help from Obsidian Entertainment, by paying a visit to the game's official website. You can also learn more about the Unity Engine by paying a visit to its official website.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I was getting in the shower just now, and there was a knock at the door.

It was the post lady! With the sample shirt from customink!!! and it looks.. well...

loving AMAZING!!! Even better than I had hoped! The lettering is clear and crisp, it straight up looks great.

I'll post pictures when I finish my shower.

Edit: Here ya go:

A nerd picture:

And finally a pic of me in the shirt. It's a large, and I am an extra large kinda guy (if I didn't have the physique of Teddy Roosevelt, it would fit great), and it has a pretty good length to it:

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 15, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Woebin posted:

Here's a short article on why Wasteland 2 running on Unity is a very good thing: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wasteland-2-Running-Unity-Gamers-Can-Rejoice-42457.html

The thing I like about them choosing Unity is that it's going to kickstart (no pun intended) Linux porting of Unity. The Unity guys have been holding out on Linux/Unix ports for the longest time and Wasteland 2 will likely be the game that tips the balance.

corsair
Jan 10, 2001

RagingBoner posted:

not in it voted zero

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Dammit, now I feel like I should of ordered 2, that's a nice looking shirt, but doesn't scream "INTERNET".

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Owns, can't wait for that shirt.

Kindly requesting that RagingBoner gets himself some tiny glasses so he can really be Teddy Roosevelt. :colbert:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is ... so ... beautiful ...

(Also nice "that one painting whose name I cannot remember but that I had as my desktop background for ages," RagingBoner. I love it.)

RagingBoner looks kind of eerily like I suppose either Teddy Roosevelt with little glasses per HondaCivet or like my friend Erik. Hey guys, you know, my friend Erik? Forums goon Hrothgar who has not posted since 2006? Guys?

(Also I am glad to hear about Unity and about how this will make Linux people happy)

(Also AxeManiac I just realized I forgot to tell you how beautiful those shrinky dinks are; I am tempted to make the one of my avatar into my avatar, for metapurposes)

(Also I am going to get back to work within the week on my Wasteland Let's Play now that I am no longer a failure [passed my dissertation proposal~!])

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

That shirt looks sweet. Any idea when you'll be sending them out? I'll be abroad for a couple of weeks next month and I'm always paranoid things will arrive and thus be returned in my absence.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This is not related to what you just said and I apologize but I noticed there was a new post, came to check, and Chrome did the glitch it occasionally does where it briefly displays the non-thumbnailed version of an image, so RagingBoner's face suddenly filled my entire screen.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

RagingBoner posted:

I was getting in the shower just now, and there was a knock at the door.

Is it just me or does it look like there is a monster hand trying to reach out behind the curtain?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fart of Presto posted:

Is it just me or does it look like there is a monster hand trying to reach out behind the curtain?
Even though it would hardly be out of character for him to actually have put a monster hand reaching from behind the curtain, I think that is a wall-sun kind of like the suns on the curtain, and thank you for quoting that picture again, because I had that same shower curtain.

Between that and the painting of the academy and, you know, this whole thread, I am starting to think that RagingBoner may, in fact, be alternate-reality me (or vice-versa, of course).

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

RagingBoner posted:

Shirt Awesomeness!

Wow, they look great RagingBoner!

You should totally grow a bad rear end mustache and start rocking the Teddy Roosevelt look. Bully!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
The shirts are guaranteed to be here by the 21st of May, at which point I will start taking payments on them, and then subsequently shipping them. I will send out an email with payment instructions, so keep your eyes peeled.

Quarex posted:

This is not related to what you just said and I apologize but I noticed there was a new post, came to check, and Chrome did the glitch it occasionally does where it briefly displays the non-thumbnailed version of an image, so RagingBoner's face suddenly filled my entire screen.

I am very sorry this happened to you.

Also, maybe we shouldn't meet up when I go to WA next month, because they say when dopplegangers meet the universe collapses.

OR MAYBE WE SHOULD.

And I've already tried the Teddy Roosevelt look (see my profile picture), and while I like how I look with a 'stache, I can't stand how it feels and all the food and poo poo that gets in it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RagingBoner posted:

The shirts are guaranteed to be here by the 21st of May, at which point I will start taking payments on them, and then subsequently shipping them. I will send out an email with payment instructions, so keep your eyes peeled.

Awesome! I assume whatever payment method you arrange will be Paypal-compatible, yes? Or at least something we can use our card with?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

CommissarMega posted:

Awesome! I assume whatever payment method you arrange will be Paypal-compatible, yes? Or at least something we can use our card with?

I'll be accepting PayPal, Amazon, and money order.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
That shirt looks great. Can't wait to get my cheetos dust crusted hands on mine!

Also, still looking forward to that LP of your's, Quarex.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
They just sent out Update #16 regarding why they went with Unity.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

That's cool, I didn't even realize they were going fully polygonal with the game. As much as I like hand-drawn sprites, I never cared for the jerky 2D CRPG engines of the 90s. Give me a buttery 60fps engine any day.

Edit: I just hope they can avoid feature creep.

Midee fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 16, 2012

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I actually hope they don't let you rotate the camera. I tried the new Jagged Alliance demo and that poo poo was annoying, there was always something in the way.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Unity is a really cool engine, IMO, especially from a rapid iteration standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

rope kid posted:

Unity is a really cool engine, IMO, especially from a rapid iteration standpoint.

They had a lot to say about it, and you seem to be familiar with it, but wikipedia lists I think 4 games using it, one being Wasteland 2. What else uses the Unity engine that we should be aware of?

• Locked thread