Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Neato. I'm away at the in laws so am not getting much opportunity to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Drifter posted:

Do it from the point of view of an irradiated Wasteland bear.
Rrrrrrrrrooooooaaaaaarrrrr!!! Gnnnnnnnnnnnn... RRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
[eats fuckin' irradiated honey like it ain't no thang]
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

tuluk posted:

First post should have the wasteland 1 cover morphing to whatever Wasteland 2 is.
besides that, Ranger reporting in style would be fitting I think.
Calling RagingBoner

(That is a pretty great suggestion, which is extra-funny as you apparently do not realize how easy it actually would be considering 2 is a stylistic imitation of 1)

I feel like I could just do it myself but it is actually surprisingly hard to find a high-quality scan of the original box art (as in, the Apple version; I have a great scan of my IBM version box but the logo was ABOVE the picture rather than formed FROM the picture; tragic, albeit a better look at the picture)

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS WASTELAND 2 IS ALMOST 100% A REAL THING NOW

and this unannounced font change is still driving me batty

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Quarex posted:

I feel like I could just do it myself but it is actually surprisingly hard to find a high-quality scan of the original box art (as in, the Apple version; I have a great scan of my IBM version box but the logo was ABOVE the picture rather than formed FROM the picture; tragic, albeit a better look at the picture)

The Wasteland 2 cover is 2 or 3 different things depending on where I've looked on the inxile site.
the cyborg scorpion picture, the iconic street w/trees overhead view, or the ranger squad cinematic angle picture.

I agree that the overhead trees one is the most fitting one. And since both of us got the Wasteland 1 art print, inxile might be cool with sending you a high-rez digital photo of it...especially since you're the guy that tracked down the original artist and are going to the launch party.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

tuluk posted:

I agree that the overhead trees one is the most fitting one.
They better use that one! The green progression from the original is great.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

tuluk posted:

The Wasteland 2 cover is 2 or 3 different things depending on where I've looked on the inxile site.
the cyborg scorpion picture, the iconic street w/trees overhead view, or the ranger squad cinematic angle picture.

I agree that the overhead trees one is the most fitting one. And since both of us got the Wasteland 1 art print, inxile might be cool with sending you a high-rez digital photo of it...especially since you're the guy that tracked down the original artist and are going to the launch party.
Oh I see what you mean; I thought it was strange that you did not know what the cover was, but yeah. I literally cannot understand in what world they would not do the obvious thing and use the brilliant-and-amazing-in-multiple-ways isometric-shift top-down angle one, other than perhaps them already wondering if they want to get stuck using a version of that for every game they ever release under the name (though I mean, if they do well enough to get to keep making Wastelands, they should be so fortunate to have the "problem" of being locked into one cover design).

Wastesland. Wastelandses.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

most of my posts in this thread (excluding questions about system requirements for linux version) have been asking brother none for a picture of the official Wasteland 2 cover/picture of the game box.
....because of the 2 or 3 different pictures I find whenever I go to the inxile wasteland 2 website confuse me.

Like you guys I'm hoping the official Wasteland 2 cover turns out to be the overhead trees one,
but the cyborg scorpion would be good too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Just in, 100% Official Verified Wasteland 2 Box Art:

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Quarex posted:

I found this image attached to a Brian Fargo interview (linked because it's big):

http://www.dagonslair.com/wp-content/uploads/wasteland.jpg

The tape sealing the flap is visible, but the image can probably be cleaned up. It's now that I regret throwing away my (crushed) Apple II box several years ago when I was culling my old Apple game boxes. I've still got the manuals, but it would have looked nice next to the boxed Wasteland 2 copy I'll be getting.

Edit: Apparently the image came from a long-since-ended eBay auction for a sealed copy of the game.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 31, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is it that hard to find a big image?

And if you're *really* going to try and make that gif (this is going to fall under the somethingawful curse, though), it's not going to be anywhere near that size, so you can fudge quality no matter what.

Here. Now composite.

edit:
Have it look something like this. But get a better font outline.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 31, 2014

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Mr. Lobe posted:

You don't gotta pray because melee builds have high STR and therefore bookoo Constitution points. They can take a couple sprays without much care.

Is there a stealth + backstab ninja build though? Is that a thing, or is a melee character just a guy who runs toward the nearest enemy and hits them in the face?

Fallout Tactics really bugged me because they totally tried to make a stealthy backstabing ninja a totally viable build (at least on paper). But in practice that build ALWAYS sucked poo poo. Like maybe you could get away with it in the first 20% of the levels, but after that you were just a huge liability since a good 1/3rd of your planned sneak attack backstab maneuvers would result in your death.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
There is no stealth in WL2. So, yeah, pretty much beat the poo poo out of people in their face.

Edit: The Turtle at rail nomads If you use animal whisperer he turns over and marches home. It takes a long as time but when he gets there... I receive two combat armors, a trinket for +2 Comp Sci, +1 Energy weapons, another trinket for +2 Outdoorsman and +2 Awareness. Definitely worth it.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 31, 2014

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Isn't sneaking just locked off for the beta?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Did they ever get into what, mechanically, is so good and different now about called shots that they were able to put them in?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Drifter posted:

Did they ever get into what, mechanically, is so good and different now about called shots that they were able to put them in?

No, and we probably won't find out until release.

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

Isn't sneaking just locked off for the beta?

Nope, Brother None stated in this thread that it was a planned feature that ultimately got cut because they couldn't find a meaningful use for it that also made sense from a gameplay/balance standpoint. The most you'll be able to do is move carefully around enemies to avoid some encounters.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

This Charming Man posted:

Nope, Brother None stated in this thread that it was a planned feature that ultimately got cut because they couldn't find a meaningful use for it that also made sense from a gameplay/balance standpoint. The most you'll be able to do is move carefully around enemies to avoid some encounters.

It makes the Ag Center and Darwin terrible though without stealth. I'm not even sure how you would be able to do Darwin where you don't end up killing everyone because as soon as you're spotted the entire room triggers and goes hostile.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Party Plane Jones posted:

It makes the Ag Center and Darwin terrible though without stealth. I'm not even sure how you would be able to do Darwin where you don't end up killing everyone because as soon as you're spotted the entire room triggers and goes hostile.

Well, haven't people been doing those places just fine up until now?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

This Charming Man posted:

I see, it was one of the things that popped up when I went searching for the locked off skills in the beta, guess they're something else.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Drifter posted:

This is pretty much what I want to know. If they're just going to push changes through or something and make me not have to download the entire thing again, I might download it now and putz around in the character creator screens to build up my army of Sexy Apocalyptic Batmans.
For Steam purposes full release will count as an "update" yes. That said so much will have changed and so many levels are getting added it will be a very significant update in size.

Drifter posted:

We're not doing full called shots. The headshot is a toggleable attack mode that is essentially a tradeoff between to-hit/AP cost and crit chance. It adds another nuance to combat but it is in no way aiming to be a full called shot/special attack set, but as Brian has hinted at we can consider that again post-release.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Drifter posted:

Is it that hard to find a big image?
YES

I mean, it is not hard to find a big image of the original art. But finding one of the Apple II box art versions with the logo properly situated and without any other game box elements was hard ... I mean, you instantly posted one, but it was hard for me!

Drifter posted:

And if you're *really* going to try and make that gif (this is going to fall under the somethingawful curse, though), it's not going to be anywhere near that size, so you can fudge quality no matter what.
Well I am certainly not the right choice for this as I have no idea what I am doing other than "download the first result for 'image morph software' and go" ... as evidenced by the fact that I have two almost-interesting-to-look-at image morphs but they are 75 megs each(???) even as .gifs. Guess this is why you mentioned the size not being that important, huh.

And to whatever curse you refer, I promise I am immune :smug: even if I only actually finish projects because I would rather not be writing my dissertation

Well here are some tiny versions of my awful morph!

If there exists somewhere an un-logoed version of the Wasteland 2 cover, it would be possible to make a pretty great "Wasteland/Wasteland" morph I think. But as it stands, either the logo is off-center or the picture is off-center; not sure how to really fix that.

Drifter posted:

edit:
Have it look something like this. But get a better font outline.
Get a better font outline?

release partychat: realized one of my good friends is starting a doctoral program at UCI the week before the nearby party; now I do not even need to rent a car!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quarex posted:

Get a better font outline?

I just pulled it from the original cover. It's different between the two.

You could make a gif like this, but more smoothly. Here's a rough-cut gif. This one has the same font on both main covers.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I like how game Quarex is a scrawny, nerdy guy who gets a boner when he gets his cd-i and to contrast, real Quarex is a bulky bear in disguise.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Brother None posted:

For Steam purposes full release will count as an "update" yes. That said so much will have changed and so many levels are getting added it will be a very significant update in size.

We're not doing full called shots. The headshot is a toggleable attack mode that is essentially a tradeoff between to-hit/AP cost and crit chance. It adds another nuance to combat but it is in no way aiming to be a full called shot/special attack set, but as Brian has hinted at we can consider that again post-release.

Any word on new or formerly usable portraits we might see in ranger creation on relase?

Seriously the ranger-star portraits were badass.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Syrant posted:

Any word on new or formerly usable portraits we might see in ranger creation on relase?

Seriously the ranger-star portraits were badass.

Seconding this. I'm curious about the new levels too. It can't just be LA you're talking about, BN. You also mean new areas in AZ, right? Right???

...I just want an Area 51. :(

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Meh, it's easy enough to import portraits, and there's no end to the amount of post-apocalyptic art that's out there.

Have a look at that Facebook page for instance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fuschia tude posted:

Doesn't that depend on the opacity and molecular/macro structure of the materials used?

Yes. When I went to Morocco plenty of people wore light tan/white colored clothing but the material was pretty dense. The only real heads up we got was thin = bad, tight = bad. The color didn't really matter but the clothes I wore was mostly light blues or tans and it was fine.

Also don't wear poo poo that makes it obvious you're a (clueless) tourist and you won't get scammed as often/easily in the souks.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also don't wear poo poo that makes it obvious you're a (clueless) tourist and you won't get scammed as often/easily in the souks.
Surely this was tied to barter skill not cosmetics???

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I now have my plane tickets and my hotel reservation. And a hot date. I am truly ready to make a fool of myself at this release party.

Actually considering I do not drink that seems exceptionally unlikely.

LotsBread posted:

I like how game Quarex is a scrawny, nerdy guy who gets a boner when he gets his cd-i and to contrast, real Quarex is a bulky bear in disguise.
Thanks LotsBread. I mean, I did not exactly expect game-me to be some sort of amazing flattering depiction, but like, somehow I kind of think it is perfect that they functionally put a vaguely apocalypse-accurate version of 12-year-old me into the game. If it is possible to give your past self a heart attack, well, it has happened a half-dozen times since the Kickstarter was announced.

Oh and I should probably actually respond to your Facebook message sometime, huh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quarex posted:

LotsBread posted:

Drifter posted:

Do it from the point of view of an irradiated Wasteland bear.

Looks like there's more here than I originally suspected.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Quarex posted:

Too late. The bandit just perforated your

Did the reply font change? What the hell is going on here

IS THERE A GHOST IN MY COMPUTER

hay guyz

What should be in my Wasteland 2 first post? :firstpost: Should I just introduce the game via Wasteland and then have a dozen screenshots and talk about how awesome it is? Should I also link to these portrait repositories?

Is there anything I could ask "should I" that everyone would not say "yes" to? No.

Get shitfaced at the release party and liveblog. Reserve post 2 in the new thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this at a point where I could buy it if I want to play a Fallout-esque RPG.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Turtlicious posted:

Is this at a point where I could buy it if I want to play a Fallout-esque RPG.

From the beta, I think it's pretty cool and good. I like the characters and all the little interactions from the things you do out in the world, which was one of the things I liked about the Fallouts.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I played a bit of the beta a month or two ago and was wondering, what can you do when you lose a Ranger? I mean, obviously 99% of players will just reload and try again, but if you're going all Iron-Man or whatnot, I never found any way to replace lost characters.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
FYI the CD-I can be given to someone else for a better reward an awesome present.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

bitcoin bastard posted:

Get shitfaced at the release party and liveblog. Reserve post 2 in the new thread.
Hahaha.

I think some amount of overeating could probably duplicate a hangover; I will at least try that. Liveblogging a hangover sounds like fun, right? "20:03 - Uggggh. 20:07 - GGAHhhhhhhhh bluhhhhh"

ded posted:

FYI the CD-I can be given to someone else for a better reward an awesome present.
:gonk: You ... you monster!!!

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Quarex posted:

Oh and I should probably actually respond to your Facebook message sometime, huh.

Hey, no prob, dude! Just gimme a holler back soon. Also, can I make a character called "Big Quarex" based on you? He'll be a Soviet with skill in hand to hand fight.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

nftyw posted:

I played a bit of the beta a month or two ago and was wondering, what can you do when you lose a Ranger? I mean, obviously 99% of players will just reload and try again, but if you're going all Iron-Man or whatnot, I never found any way to replace lost characters.

I think those three new recruits outside of the Citadel can join you if you lose one of your main four.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quarex posted:

I now have my plane tickets and my hotel reservation. And a hot date. I am truly ready to make a fool of myself at this release party.

Actually considering I do not drink that seems exceptionally unlikely.

Thanks LotsBread. I mean, I did not exactly expect game-me to be some sort of amazing flattering depiction, but like, somehow I kind of think it is perfect that they functionally put a vaguely apocalypse-accurate version of 12-year-old me into the game. If it is possible to give your past self a heart attack, well, it has happened a half-dozen times since the Kickstarter was announced.

You should drink anyway. A party without Rot Gut or Gamma Gulp Beer is no party at all.

(I've no idea what alcohol was in Wasteland 1 or 2, besides what you can give to the hobo)

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Is there any real reason not to recruit Angela Deth at the very start? Even on Ranger difficulty she seems to trivialize the initial combat sections, and I'm not sure whether the party gets more XP the less people there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Well she is something like 8 levels above you. Her introduction / recruiting dialogue would point toward her leaving the party once a particular quest is done but I'm not sure if that's in yet.

• Locked thread