Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Doesn't it take more than 30 minutes to even get to the point where you can shoot something in New Vegas?

Fallout 3 was fun, but New Vegas was amazing. I can't find a better game that exists that provided so much, I've played it twice to completion on PC and Xbox and I'm sure I missed stuff. New Vegas is an amazing feat, a well written, graphically impressive, commercially successful role playing game.

Plus I can't get those dang songs out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

AxeManiac posted:

Doesn't it take more than 30 minutes to even get to the point where you can shoot something in New Vegas?

God no. Bear in mind you shoot something as soon as you start the tutorial.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

AxeManiac posted:

Fallout 3 was fun, but New Vegas was amazing. I can't find a better game that exists that provided so much, I've played it twice to completion on PC and Xbox and I'm sure I missed stuff. New Vegas is an amazing feat, a well written, graphically impressive, commercially successful role playing game.

If you don't skip any cutscenes and you don't rush through Doc's jabber I can see it taking about that long. Though you can start shooting/punching/explosivesing as soon as you leave his place.

quote:

I think Rope Kid said it best:

quote:

"Patrolling the Mojave makes you wish for a big iron that jingle jangle jingles." - Johnny Guitar

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

AxeManiac posted:

The character creation sequence takes about 5 minutes, then you can skip the extra tutorial stuff and run off into the wastes.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

RagingBoner posted:

Did you like FO3, and if so, why FO3 and not FO:NV?

I liked both, but I liked 3 a lot more than New Vegas, particularly because NV actually felt like a desert wasteland(which i'm sure was their intention) while 3 felt like walking through something familiar, especially as you traveled further east. Liking 3 more than New Vegas is something my gamer friends have yet to let me live down. That said though Old World Blues is the best part of both games so there's that, I guess.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vincent Valentine posted:

I liked both, but I liked 3 a lot more than New Vegas, particularly because NV actually felt like a desert wasteland(which i'm sure was their intention) while 3 felt like walking through something familiar, especially as you traveled further east. Liking 3 more than New Vegas is something my gamer friends have yet to let me live down. That said though Old World Blues is the best part of both games so there's that, I guess.

I actually liked NV because it felt familiar (I'm from the West), so I guess it's a stylistic preference. V:shobon:V

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
FO3 does have one thing I like more than FO:NV, and that's the location exploration. There's just all sorts of nooks and crannies with neat junk and weird little side stories in FO3, where as NV is just more sparse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

While we're talking about Fallout 3, can anyone explain to me what it was about that one family of cannibals that pissed people off so much? Every single time someone wanted to diss Fallout 3 compared to New Vegas they'd bring it up, but I'm playing through FO3 again and met them for the first time, and I didn't really notice any logical inconsistensies or anything.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

AxeManiac posted:

I like Fallout as a universe (post-apocalyptic universes are kind of a downer for me, and stifle my urge to explore, because everything is destroyed and ugly anyway, but at least Fallout is funny) and enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2 (and 3 to a lesser extent), but for some reason I couldn't get into New Vegas. Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but I felt like everywhere I went I was dying violently very quickly. I wasn't even sure where to go or what to do after the first town. I just kinda gave up after that and sold the game to a friend.

I'd love to give the game another chance. I feel sad being the only person that doesn't "get" New Vegas. I'd like to think I didn't give the game a fair shake, but I think I might just not like post-apocalyptic settings (which is why it's a mystery as to why I'm giving Brian Fargo and the others $100 for Wasteland 2).

Maybe it's that Fallout 1 and 2 were games so great, it transcended the otherwise drab and ugly setting. Maybe it was the humor in 1 and 2 that kept me going. Maybe it was just the fact that the setting was unique for an RPG at the time. Something about New Vegas just felt like I was alone in this really really lovely place, and everyone wanted to kill me. That just made me want to turn off the game and go play a space opera like Mass Effect.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 1, 2012

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

AxeManiac posted:

I love New Vegas too, besides Baldur's Gate it's the only RPG I've played front to back twice. On the PC it's just fantastic, stuff like grenade hotkeys, bullet time instead of VATS, tons of graphical improvements, a difficulty mod from the lead gameplay designer, super-fast load times, and all kinds of miscellaneous goody mods.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I've loved Fallout ever since my stepbrother showed me this cool game he had in 98 or so, that being the original Fallout, and I honestly think that New Vegas is the best game in the series. Fallout 1 had the Master though, who's still unsurpassed in my opinion.

Lurdiak posted:

While we're talking about Fallout 3, can anyone explain to me what it was about that one family of cannibals that pissed people off so much? Every single time someone wanted to diss Fallout 3 compared to New Vegas they'd bring it up, but I'm playing through FO3 again and met them for the first time, and I didn't really notice any logical inconsistensies or anything.
I think it's probably about them just not being equipped for killing and eating people on a regular basis. As far as I remember it they just wore basic clothes and used Rippers, so it seems potential victims would be able to defend themselves and probably win.

VVV Not the vampires, there's a small suburb with a bunch of seemingly friendly people who then have a shed full of human flesh. The vampires were silly too, though.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 1, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

If you mean the Vampires, it's because Goons have/had a thing about Twilight and anything that resembled a vampire at the time was shat on. Also it didn't really make much sense, but that was a general thing about Fallout 3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

If you mean the Vampires, it's because Goons have/had a thing about Twilight and anything that resembled a vampire at the time was shat on. Also it didn't really make much sense, but that was a general thing about Fallout 3.

No I mean these guys. The vampires were ludicrous but the player character was supposed to be in disbelief over it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

thetrin posted:

I like Fallout as a universe (post-apocalyptic universes are kind of a downer for me, and stifle my urge to explore, because everything is destroyed and ugly anyway, but at least Fallout is funny) and enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2 (and 3 to a lesser extent), but for some reason I couldn't get into New Vegas. Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but I felt like everywhere I went I was dying violently very quickly. I wasn't even sure where to go or what to do after the first town. I just kinda gave up after that and sold the game to a friend.

You probably went into Deathclaw/Cazadores territory, which is a hard path to take even though it's not impossible.

The game gives you clues as to where you're "supposed" to go, but you can go wherever you want.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Who, exactly, do they eat? Who's wandering around the wastes? Why haven't they been attacked by raiders?

The location by itself isn't internally contradictory, it just doesn't make sense as part of a wider world - ala having a town full of children next to a town of slavers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thetrin posted:

I wasn't even sure where to go or what to do after the first town.

You go to the next town that they send you to?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

This thread actually made me want to buy New Vegas. Then I remembered Obsidian was paid up-front and gets no residuals from it. Guess I'll have to wait for the Kickstarter!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Doc Hawkins posted:

This thread actually made me want to buy New Vegas. Then I remembered Obsidian was paid up-front and gets no residuals from it. Guess I'll have to wait for the Kickstarter!

a bunch of people I know re-bought the FONV Ultimate Edition to "Support Obsidian" :smith:

one of those people might have been me :smith:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Who, exactly, do they eat? Who's wandering around the wastes? Why haven't they been attacked by raiders?

The location by itself isn't internally contradictory, it just doesn't make sense as part of a wider world - ala having a town full of children next to a town of slavers.

That was FO3, though: NOTHING was connected on a world level. Layout made no sense, and everything was an island unto itself. BUT! There were a poo poo load of islands to explore, which, again, is its strongest point VS. FO:NV. If i had to guess, it probably has more to do with budget and time constraints placed on Obsidian that were not present with Bethesda's developers.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Category Fun! posted:

The character creation sequence takes about 5 minutes, then you can skip the extra tutorial stuff and run off into the wastes.

Oh, I spent the first few hours of the game stealing everything I could and collecting weeds and flowers, you know, what you are supposed to do in every role playing game ever. Then I did that pesky, shoot stuff mission that gives you a gun.

It's like some of you don't even play games.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

RagingBoner posted:

FO3 does have one thing I like more than FO:NV, and that's the location exploration. There's just all sorts of nooks and crannies with neat junk and weird little side stories in FO3, where as NV is just more sparse.

I felt like it was the other way around. In FO3 nothing really seemed to have any meaning to it and you spent hours killing bandits who were locked up in grocery stores without any real rhyme or reason to it. Meanwhile in New Vegas every single dungeon had some kind of background to it, some history that you could find by searching within, and there were things like unique weapons to find as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wait, are you kidding me? I must have met literally thousands of people wandering around the wastes. Raiders, scavengers, talon mercenaries, merchants, assorted weirdoes... There's a shitton of people that you just randomly meet on your travels. It's like asking who the Super Mutants are capturing. Just because every "hub" is sparsely populated in the game doesn't mean that's the entirety of the people living in the wastes.

Admittedly I don't have much of an answer for why raiders or any other wandering beastie hadn't killed them all yet, but I could say that about pretty much every place in the game that was still standing despite not being fortified.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

This is not just directed at you, but I think this is strange thinking. While we can complain about the injustices of the payment methods until the end of days (for the record, I do think the bonus situation based on metacritic scores is really loving stupid even though it unfortunately not uncommon in the industrt), the fact of the matter is that Obsidian would not have done New Vegas if Bethesda hadn't offered them to make it.
And furthermore, I'm pretty drat sure that OEI would love for people to actually play the result of their creativity, their sweat and tears.

The OEI + Bethesda partnership seemed to have been a really happy one, resulted in an immensely great game plus great support after its release. As well as good PR for the product beforehand. It is unfortunate about the metacritic thing but again, it's how publishing works. That's a battle one can choose to fight but I think it would be sad to pass up on a fantastic game like New Vegas to prove that point.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's been a while since I've played it, but the only thing I remember was that I had some quest to go to some abandoned amusement park and everyone there could kill me in like, 5 seconds.

That's pretty much where I stopped.

Maybe one day when I have a lot of time, I'll buy it again and give it another chance.

I'll be honest, though. I found the game horribly boring and empty. Maybe that was the point of the game, but that just depressed me. I honestly didn't want to be in the world the game presented me with.

Maybe I've just changed as I've gotten older. I played Fallout 1 and 2 in high school and adored them. I think as I've gotten older, oppressive worlds like Fallout's just make me not want to play them.

I love the aesthetic (to some extent. corrugated steel everywhere is aesthetically pretty awful), but once I got to that roller coaster I had no idea where to go that wouldn't murder me horribly, and I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with my awful gun skill, so I kinda just gave up on the game.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Lurdiak posted:

Admittedly I don't have much of an answer for why raiders or any other wandering beastie hadn't killed them all yet, but I could say that about pretty much every place in the game that was still standing despite not being fortified.

You've just said better than I could why I couldn't get into FO3, thanks. Nothing stands up to two seconds of scrutiny.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The DC ruins were the best part of Fallout 3. They were great to explore and nothing in New Vegas comes close. I'm really glad NV cut back on the 'dungeons' though. What possible reason do I need to go into 'Yaoi Gaoi Tunnels' or the myriad of other places with nothing but enemies and junk in them.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

RagingBoner posted:

Last hour was absolutely LOUSY, someone pulled a $500 pledge so there was barely any growth. Things are definitely petering off the Obsidian bump, too:
Is the $4,000 drop at noon something different, or did you mean someone pulled a $5,000 pledge? Looks like that killed several hours worth of growth, three hours later and the Kickstarter isn't back up to the amount before the withdraw.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Actually the location itself is internally contradictory.

First of all, if four families survived the bombs, why are there only three houses? For that matter, why are there only two families?

If children are raised within an insular society that requires intermarriage between limited bloodlines, you'd think they'd be more comfortable with the concept. Instead, they react with disgust.

Finally, they rely on refrigerators to keep their meat from spoiling, yet they possess no source of power.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

To clarify, he sends the player to the eastern end of the map. There is no town. The man there will, from his literal ivory tower, send the player into the middle of Super Mutant territory rather than risk the fully armored paramilitary force he has guarding him. Unless the player passes a speech check.

After that, the player is directed through a labyrinthine series of poorly lit tunnels and some of the game's worst design. Once that is done, the player can enter the "next town."

Notably, after a short stopover, the player will be directed to the western end of the map because Bethesda.

Edit: I can think of no possible reason why they would do this save to pad out the game.

On topic, I must admit I am getting nervous about meeting the goal.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 1, 2012

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

thetrin posted:

It's been a while since I've played it, but the only thing I remember was that I had some quest to go to some abandoned amusement park and everyone there could kill me in like, 5 seconds.

That's pretty much where I stopped.

Maybe one day when I have a lot of time, I'll buy it again and give it another chance.

I'll be honest, though. I found the game horribly boring and empty. Maybe that was the point of the game, but that just depressed me. I honestly didn't want to be in the world the game presented me with.

I had the same first experience as you, honestly. I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong and why my first times through I was getting raped on normal difficulty and now, using the same guns on very hard, I'm breezing through with ease, but yeah.

If its any consolation and you're willing to try it again, things become much more lively and populated in and around the Strip, and that's also where the choice/faction stuff really comes into play. You also have the option of picking up a few different companions on the top part of the map, most of which even comment on business as you walk around.

Not that I'm saying you have to try it again, just that a lot of your early impressions definitely aren't representative of the game as a whole (I love Obsidian, but New Vegas, KOTOR2, and Alpha Protocol show that they're not exactly the best at making the first few hours suck you in). Also, I would say the 'purposefully depressing post-apocalyptic' thing is more representative of Fallout 3, where you couldn't go twenty feet without tripping over loving two skeletons with a pistol and a bunch of drugs littered around them.

New Vegas is more post-post-apocalyptic, if that makes sense: there's still radiation and crazy monsters and poo poo, but everyone you meet isn't trying to kill you over a can of beans. Society has mostly rebuilt itself, people are scratching out a living from farming/whatever, and the main theme of the game basically revolves around the question of "which group can best rebuild society?" Its still sparse because its supposed to be kind of a western (and, well, Gamebryo can only do so much) but its definitely not supposed to be "everyone is dead" sparse. More "everyone is back west and we're in some frontier town poo poo" sparse.

Heavy neutrino posted:

You've just said better than I could why I couldn't get into FO3, thanks. Nothing stands up to two seconds of scrutiny.

Yeah, its funny the first time when you're just walking along and you hit wacky comic book town followed by the Republic of Dave followed by Deathclaw town followed by a roach king but after awhile playing a game based solely around what appear to be the post-apocalyptic version of Family Guy cutaway jokes gets a bit tiresome. You start to wonder why you keep running across rooms with poignantly-posed skeletons hugging each other on a bed, untouched and unseen by man for two-hundred years in a town where loving raiders moved in next door. You wonder why the town of young children who had to leave Little Lamplight not only decided to run halfway across the ultra-hostile wasteland to start a new town, but why they chose to do it right next to a slaver town and a giant super mutant camp. And what the gently caress is everyone eating? There's like one brahmin in all of Megaton, no farming, and the only restaurant in the area seems to primarily sell 200-year-old snack cakes.

Dixie Flatline posted:

The DC ruins were the best part of Fallout 3. They were great to explore and nothing in New Vegas comes close. I'm really glad NV cut back on the 'dungeons' though. What possible reason do I need to go into 'Yaoi Gaoi Tunnels' or the myriad of other places with nothing but enemies and junk in them.

I don't know man, you've been through one subway tunnel filled with feral ghouls and garbage only to emerge in a small outside area filled with super mutants and garbage, you've been through them all.

For what it's worth though, the one bit of New Vegas that truly is apocalyptic as all gently caress is the Lonesome Road DLC, which did the whole 'ruined tunnels and ruined cityscape' thing way better than Fallout 3 did (though it is pretty linear).

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 1, 2012

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm feeling pretty bad about not ever having finished New Vegas now . . . We had it for the PS3 but I should pick up the PC version instead of course. This is going to sound dumb but can you play it pretty much with just VATS? Would that be stupid? I'm not a big FPS fan so if there's a way to play it in a most un-FPS way that'd be cool.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

HondaCivet posted:

I'm feeling pretty bad about not ever having finished New Vegas now . . . We had it for the PS3 but I should pick up the PC version instead of course. This is going to sound dumb but can you play it pretty much with just VATS? Would that be stupid? I'm not a big FPS fan so if there's a way to play it in a most un-FPS way that'd be cool.

Sure, if you build your character to have a ton of AP, you could probably do a fair amount of VATS, although it's always best to be shooting while you're waiting for it to recharge.

The difference between the console versions and the PC version is like night and day. I can't go back to the Xbox version now, it's too fuzzy and the draw distance is tiny.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

HondaCivet posted:

This is going to sound dumb but can you play it pretty much with just VATS?

You can play it whatever way you like. VATs is still there, but as opposed to Fallout 3, you can actually play the game without it if you like. I iron-sighted and punched most things, and only used VATs to stop the time and think when surrounded by loving Deathclaws (why, hello Lonesome Road).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dixie Flatline posted:

The DC ruins were the best part of Fallout 3. They were great to explore and nothing in New Vegas comes close.

As others have said, the DC ruins were a whole lot of copy-pasted ruined buildings above ground, and identical subway tunnels and stations underneath. I found that the world design in New Vegas was SO much better - it had farms. Actual, populated, irrigated farms outside Vegas that produced the food for the city. It wasn't a dungeon, it wasn't a combat location, it was just a location that was required to make sense of the civilization in the region.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

HondaCivet posted:

Vats in New Vegas is really, really bad compared to Fallout 3. Any time I tried to get anything done with Vats to a target more than 15 feet away I would have accomplished just as much shooting directly upward into the sky.

That said there are about five hundred mods to change it to whatever you want

Dominic White posted:

As others have said, the DC ruins were a whole lot of copy-pasted ruined buildings above ground, and identical subway tunnels and stations underneath. I found that the world design in New Vegas was SO much better - it had farms. Actual, populated, irrigated farms outside Vegas that produced the food for the city. It wasn't a dungeon, it wasn't a combat location, it was just a location that was required to make sense of the civilization in the region.

Nobody will argue that Vegas and the immediate surrounding area was really, really good. It's the rest of the Mojave Wasteland that felt desolate, empty and sparse. The buildings in FO3 might have been incredibly same-y, but it's preferable to seeing the exact same cactus for the six thousandth time.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 1, 2012

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Vats in New Vegas is really, really bad compared to Fallout 3. Any time I tried to get anything done with Vats to a target more than 15 feet away I would have accomplished just as much shooting directly upward into the sky.

Although an oversimplification, VATS does have a limited range in New Vegas.

At extreme range, the change does not matter since every player can take the time to aim properly. Gamepad versus mouse and keyboard doesn't really matter without a time constraint.

From a design perspective, VATS needed limitations because it was too powerful. It was a literal "Win" button in F3, and it trivialized any sort of challenge in that game.

Considering that, the choice to limit VATS to closer ranges, where the inherent differences between gamepad and mouse would be most apparent, was wise.

Nobody will argue that Vegas and the immediate surrounding area was really, really good. It's the rest of the Mojave Wasteland that felt desolate, empty and sparse. The buildings in FO3 might have been incredibly same-y, but it's preferable to seeing the exact same cactus for the six thousandth time.

Do you mean "Nobody will argue that Vegas and the immediate surrounding area wasn't really really good?"

Without add-ons, New Vegas has 187 marked locations.

Without add-ons, Fallout 3 has 162 marked locations.

Subjective observations aside, the D.C. Wasteland is emptier than the Mojave.

Back on topic, could anyone clarify how many people currently work at InXile?

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 1, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How many points did you have in guns? My hit percentages were always 80+ by the mid-point due to skill points and perks. If somebody wanted to use vats as much as possible they would probably want to invest in agility and perception.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rinkles posted:

The only problem I have with recommending infinity engine games to newbies is the D&D, which can be quite a barrier to entry for the uninitiated.

OTOH, 2nd edition D&D is pretty much the best version for making video games and all its complexities are handled instantly for you.

The infinity engine games are also the easiest to get in to of the 2nd edition games. Stuff like the Gold Box games as well as the first person games like Stone Prophet are also very good games but even if someone's willing to look past their graphics, games like Dark Queen of Krynn have some just utterly brutal fights. Kangaax in BG2 is child's play compared to some of the fights in those games.

Part of me wishes WL2 would be made more like the first, but a straight forward RPG like that just seems unlikely since it probably just lacks the action people want in games now. It would be nice if the BG 1/2 enhanced editions sell a few million copies this summer, and then this does a million or so as well. Perhaps someone would do a kickstarter for a post-apocalyptic game using the (new?)infinity engine. :allears:

I'm trying to do a replay of WL1 but it's painful without decent information for it, like what weapons are good/bad for melee. I mean a knife and club both seem to work good, but my crowbar doesn't.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dominic White posted:

Nah, there were shitloads of landmarks and interesting things to see. The mall, jefferson and lincoln memorials, arlington cemetary, capitol building,.I don't mean world design in general, FO3 is loving awful in that regard.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted the Mojave desert is pretty sparse, I mean really sparse. In fact, outside of Las Vegas, I think there were more people living out in the boonies in game than in real life. Seriously, Primm isn't much more that the what was in the game, and there is very little else out there.

New Vegas was really good about connecting plot and the narrative, especially regarding different factions and why they were in certain places and fighting with whom. Also, New Vegas felt like a city, it has neighborhoods and sort of even suburbs. It it real exciting when you first get there when you realize you aren't just going to walk up to a loading screen but that there is a fairly large surrounding area that gets denser and more populated at the center.

That said, it gives a different flavor to the game since the DC wasteland barely has any population centers while New Vegas is worried about power supplies and regional integration. In post-apocalyptic literature, you either see the world at its worst/a complete mess or rebuilt into some different society. You rarely see the kind of in between state where everything hasn't been fixed, but people aren't just scavenging for supplies or fighting off raiders. It was actually kind of cool.

I wonder if the next fallout game is kind of going to take on that theme, and the world is going to be more and more solidified and it is going to more about organized warfare/factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ardennes posted:

Granted the Mojave desert is pretty sparse, I mean really sparse. In fact, outside of Las Vegas, I think there were more people living out in the boonies in game than in real life. Seriously, Primm isn't much more that the what was in the game, and there is very little else out there.

New Vegas was really good about connecting plot and the narrative, especially regarding different factions and why they were in certain places and fighting with whom. Also, New Vegas felt like a city, it has neighborhoods and sort of even suburbs. It it real exciting when you first get there when you realize you aren't just going to walk up to a loading screen but that there is a fairly large surrounding area that gets denser and more populated at the center.

That said, it gives a different flavor to the game since the DC wasteland barely has any population centers while New Vegas is worried about power supplies and regional integration. In post-apocalyptic literature, you either see the world at its worst/a complete mess or rebuilt into some different society. You rarely see the kind of in between state where everything hasn't been fixed, but people aren't just scavenging for supplies or fighting off raiders. It was actually kind of cool.

I wonder if the next fallout game is kind of going to take on that theme, and the world is going to be more and more solidified and it is going to more about organized warfare/factions.

Its going to be by Bethesda, mang. Expect Fallout 3 but on the Skyrim engine. Doesn't mean it won't be fun, just don't expect any kind of thematic depth, real reactivity or good writing in general.

• Locked thread