Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Jefferoo posted:

Considering my recent career boost I will probably be donating a bit to this once I start seeing some signs of actual gameplay.

I'm cautious because Obsidian should be handling this, not inxile (which I think released 1 game in like its 10 years of existence and it was that terrible Bard's Tale remake)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Madcosby posted:

I guess I just don't see publishers playing the role they used to. It's incredibly common now a days for a developer (or team) to distribute their own product, so I guess I'm just confused by their decision to ask fans to fund a game.

More teams may distribute their own product nowadays, but they have to get the money to make the product first.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Wachepti posted:

Woohoo! Donated. Now what I'm curious about is that 1 million number. Can anyone who has some experience in this industry chime in and talk about that? Does it seem kind of...low?

For some reason I've always assumed a serious RPG with lots of dialogue costs more than that, which is why they don't get made as often as I'd like.

Tim Schafer has stated that $2-$3 million is about the cost of a modern XBLA game, and Grim Fandango from 10 years ago was just below $3 million. So a game from the 80s could be remade for $1 million maybe?

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Rinkles posted:

Pfff, amateurs. Check out this pro.

Didn't we already have a thread about this guy or is this some other guy?

DrManiac posted:

[e] B..Bestow?

Oh poo poo. That's who I was thinking of too.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Armor-Piercing posted:

The other thing is that they've proved there's money in the genre, which will probably attract more publisher attention and get funding for further games.

I'm worried this Kickstarter stuff will do the opposite. Publishers now have a hard number that says that if Adventure Game Legend Tim Schafer wants to make a new adventure game, <100,000 people will pay up front, and that's only because he is a known figure in the industry. If an up and coming designer wants to make a small $3 million adventure game, he's hosed because publishers aren't going to want to pay for a product only 100,000 people might buy and he won't be able to raise the same amount as an unknown.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Dominic White posted:

They've been consistently hosed over by publishers (Bethesda promised them a completion bonus on New Vegas if it got a metascore of 85 or higher. It got an 84, mostly due to bugs. Bethesda did the QA) over the years, but they make drat fine RPGs.

New Vegas is the real Fallout 3. No, really - it picks up from where Fallout 2 left off, and has gameplay and writing much more on par with the first two games.

And anyone that says that Obsidian can't make a polished game? You could practically see your own reflection in Dungeon Siege 3, and that was the one game in the past few years that they had full control over the development of.

Anyone who read the Brian Fargo interview from a couple of pages ago shouldn't be surprised that a lot of independent developers get hosed over by publishers.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Oh do you have the figures on how much those licensing fees and wages would cost? Please share.

Especially considering how Obsidian just laid off a bunch of people, I don't know why dudes are expecting them to work for free.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

adamarama posted:

I think this will hit the target, I'm praying it does. Even if they can get to 2million with 2-3 days to go, there'll be a final surge to get it over the edge.

It will be 1 dollar short of the goal needed to give Oblivion work.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

greatBigJerk posted:

It's not an incredibly pretty engine, but it's really easy to do an isometric camera with Unity 3d.

There's a difference between using a fixed camera in a general engine and optimizing your engine specifically for an isometric viewpoint. Diablo 3, for instance, uses pseudo 2D sprites for their trees because it allows much more fine detail without using a lot of polygons.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Sigma-X posted:

I might of missed it but Quarex what the hell is with the amount of personal interest and evangelism you're putting into this? What's your personal history with Wasteland such that you are putting this much effort into it?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what makes someone that much of an evangelist. As a game dev myself I recognize the importance of having folks like yourself, but I can't recall getting that stoked about a game since I was a kid. I can only imagine you have some deeply personal story about it or something.

I don't know why Quarex's behavior seems so unusual. I would've thought the game industry would be full of enthusiastic people who are deeply truly stoked about games, even as adults.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

signalnoise posted:

He is a really really good games designer

Shigeru Miyamoto's a really good games designer. Avellone's a really good writer (by video game standards), which is what you want in a game with a lot of dialogue.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

BlondRobin posted:

Triple-A titles are not going anywhere, but there's a couple of things you should understand. A LARGE portion of a triple-A game's budget is not spent on development. Certainly much more than the asking price or even the final result of any kickstarter- but much of that budget is spent on marketing. Hundreds of balloons released into the SF bay for Homefront. A Skyrim Dovahkiin picture on a wall. Countless banner ads, interstitial ads, video ads, ads ads ads. Triple-A titles are almost more of a marketing concern than they are a development concern; because they're built to reach an audience that cares little about gaming, and they need to maximize development time-sales ratio.

While this is true, development costs, even absent of marketing, have been increasing steadily with each console generation because of an increase in art, programming, cinematics, voice work, and other requirements. AAA development costs are high enough that I don't see Kickstarter being able to produce that amount of funding any time soon. (Of course, marketing tends to be multiple times the development cost, so I'm not really disagreeing with you.)

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

YourAverageJoe posted:

It's pretty much top-of-the-line tech, but I agree with pyrotek, creating the kinds of assets that show what you can do with this kind of engine takes a lot of resources, one of the MANY reasons why publishers don't like to take as many risks as they did in the past.

Increasing graphics requirements is one of the primary reasons AAA budgets have been ballooning with each console generation. Inxile would be smart to prefer stylized art over extremely realistic high res art.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

pixelbaron posted:

This party is pretty intense...

Skrillex bringing the house down, it's cool that he made it on such short notice. Think I just saw a chick flash the camera.

Makes you long for the old John Romero days when they actually would've hired strippers and Skrillex. And probably done coke in the bathroom.

Now most game developers are boring middle aged men with kids.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

RagingBoner posted:

Interesting article on the declining games industry, seems apropos to this thread:
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/why-end-60-video-game-near-181412574.html

While I agree there should be a middle price point between $60 and $1/$15-20, what a terrible article: "Sales are down, therefore Angry Birds must be cutting into Call of Duty sales. Here's a quote from a guy who says all games will be freemium in the future." Ace reporting, Yahoo games blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

KillHour posted:

I've never heard of Dragoncon, but it made me think of this, so I'm immediately creeped out by all of you.

There's also this trip report from 2003 (which is almost a decade ago :psyboom:):

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/hearts-spandex-an.php
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/hearts-spandex-an-2.php

• Locked thread