Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You did not disappoint, Quarex. Great OP.

I'm anxious to see how this goes. Theoretically, there should easily be more than 50,000 cRPG diehards out there - averaging with a lowball sum of $20 per purchase, which'd cover the million dollar minimum. However, the greatest cause of reluctance will probably be inXile's shabby reputation. I'm convinced this is Fargo's passion project and that he truly wants to do it justice - he's already accumulated an impressive team (basically all the lead designers and writers of Wasteland, despite some of them having left the industry ages ago), and the games he produced under Interplay are undeniable. I have high hopes it'll work out.

Regarding the rewards tiers, whilst this'll be fully clarified when the kickstarter launches, you may be interested to hear they were updated after fan feedback:

Their forums posted:

DRM Free! (This'll be in addition to the Steam version)
The skill and weapon for supporters will not affect the game balance but will absolutely be entertaining
Added a Wasteland 2 poster to a 'light' level
Added a digital concept art book (I think this'll be added to the $30 tier)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jefferoo posted:

Considering my recent career boost I will probably be donating a bit to this once I start seeing some signs of actual gameplay.

That might be a bit too late, considering they haven't even settled on an engine yet.

I expect it'll probably be 1.5-2 years before we see the final product.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

You know that there was already a Wasteland game sequel, right?

I know there was an attempt at making a sequel with Jason D. Anderson involved a few years back, but nothing panned out. Some of the design documents made then, however, are going to make up the basis of this new game.

If you're not referring to that or the original Fallouts, you have me stumped.

e:VVVV Ah, okay.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 12, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quarex posted:

There are definitely enough oldschool CRPG fans in the world to make this a reality--Brian Fargo has been talking about how surprising the fan enthusiasm from Central/Eastern Europe has been (I would not be surprised if part of that surprise would be that they likely never even released the game there, so all of the nostalgia was from illegal copies). Now, the question of whether there are enough oldschool fans to actually fund this project is an interesting one, but I cannot possibly be the only crazy fan who is willing to bankrupt himself (metaphorically speaking) for the sake of this game.

I expect the majority are Fallout and cRPG fans in general. The genre has always been massively popular there.

I hope the credit card requirement won't be too big of a barrier, though, since they're not as prevalent there as they are in the states.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

emoticon posted:

I'm cautious because Obsidian should be handling this, not inxile (which I think released 1 game in like its 10 years of existence and it was that terrible Bard's Tale remake)

There are plenty of people out there that can make good RPGs outside of Obsidian, it's just that few have been given the chance in recent times. inXile's pedigree isn't something that can simply be ignored, but this is in great part a different team (most importantly, the leads), and it'll be made with a difference audience in mind, while their previous concoctions were awkward compromises neither traditional RPG players nor the mainstream they were trying to attract (often by Publisher pressure) would enjoy. (e:That's a bit of a bad generalization, because inXile's only other "notable" release, Hunted, had very little RPG elements at all.) Time will tell, but I think there's good reason to partially look past inXile's past blunders.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 12, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Megadyptes posted:

Heh, so they got forums and blogs already set up and they're just waiting for the one million to roll in. Seems all a bit presumptuous, the Double Fine Adventure kickstart thing could just end up being an amazing fluke. But eh, I want it to work out, I'll probably contribute to the Kickstarter. Though an extra price point between 15 and 50 would be nice.

They're also being realistic. It'd be outright irresponsible to offer a lower target with the knowledge that it wouldn't be enough to cover the costs of development. (Good) RPGs are huge undertakings, and I think that even at a million the budget'll be pretty tight.

e:Oh and there is a price point between 15 and 50, 30, Quarex just didn't copy the whole list.

Also, sorry about spamming responses.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Have they said anything about a possible rerelease/update/whatever of the original?

They've said they'd love to offer it as a bonus, but the rights to the game are in EA's hands, who indicated they're not interesting selling the rights. Seems plain stubborn, since they no longer have the rights to the Wasteland IP.

Madcosby posted:

Wasteland was one of the first and most enjoyable RPGs I played through entirely. While I'm excited about a sequel, why on earth is their dev team asking for donations? That trend is getting stupid. I dont know about the whole team, but professional developers shouldn't ask for donations.

I agree with your sentiment in principle, except in this case you're also getting the final product. You're essentially enabling the development by placing your order early, rather than paying after the fact. This isn't (entirely) a charity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This rocks so hard! Can't wait to donate to this kickstarter when it gets off the ground.

Had to get myself a new avatar as well just to celebrate this!

Fool! That money could've gone towards the goal!

(I probably would've gotten one too if I hadn't just changed mine recently)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quad posted:

I'll buy it if it comes out because I have a C64 tattoo and Wasteland was awesome. But what's with all these kickstarter things, lately? Some pixel-hipster webcomic started one "to help with funds for a new book" and it's at like $50K now? Who needs $50,000 to import a bunch of webcomics into Premiere or Illustrator or whatever and send the file off to get bound? Is it just that people love "voting with their $$$"? If this is the new and cool thing, I should totally start a Kickstarter to help me afford a new laptop. Maybe it'll get on Digg! :)

What's with the smug cynicism? I don't care if it's also the place responsible for funnelling thousands of dollars from gullible idiots. In this case, as we're hopefully about to find out, it's a legitimate means of raising capital. It's the consumers going directly to the developers to get something that has proven otherwise hard to obtain. Publishers are weary of backing unproven projects that wouldn't generate much profit either way, and it's absolutely their right to do so. This is a chance to show there are enough fans that are willing to buy the game to keep classical cRPG development a sustainable business, bypassing that middleman entirely. Moreover, you're (theoretically) not simply donating to their cause, you're actually pre-purchasing the product. I say theoretically, because as I understand it, the whole kickstarter setup is unbinding, but that's a whole separate issue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Hunted was gutwrenchingly bad

Hakkesshu posted:

it's so aggressively derivative and generic that it's not even worth talking about. There is literally nothing special about it whatsoever.

Sorry, you're entitled to your own opinion and all that, but these two wouldn't typically be taken to mean the same thing.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Does anyone know of a good LP for Wasteland? I found a few with a cursory youtube search, but they... aren't great. Doesn't seem there are any goon-done LPs for it either.

This one looks pretty good. The user's storytelling might put you off (I think what he's trying to do works, and isn't overbearing), but from what I've seen he does a decent job of explaining the game's mechanics as they become relevant, and properly edits his videos.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Great to see this having a realistic chance of coming to fruition. Not as fast as Schafer's shtick, but the sum's growing at a steady pace.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

Edit: they got their second 10k backer, goddamn.

And now another. Crazy dedication.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I just realized there are less than 6.5k donators - there's gotta be more people out there willing to drop at least $15. Which gives me hope this won't peter out soon, as people are still learning about it/eventually getting their credit cards out when they get home.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Take my money now. Take all my money.

Pfff, amateurs. Check out this pro.

Kotaku Article posted:

Millionaire Wants Your Million Dollars To Make His First Game

Meet Ellwood "Bunky" Bartlett. He's a practicing Wiccan, a retired accountant, and the winner of Maryland's Mega Millions jackpot, which netted him $42 million back in 2007.

He also wants your money to help make a game. Using crowdfunding site Kickstarter, Bartlett is asking for $1.1 million to create Your World, a massively multiplayer online game "built by gamers for gamers funded by gamers."

Described as "all of the good things in Second Life, World of Warcraft, Rift, Star Wars: The Old Republic and the like all rolled up into one game,"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I'm about 90% sure that Fargo was purposefully targeting places like NMA and the Codex with that particular line.

If you look, there's also quite a few original Wasteland fans at NMA. Games' obsession with NMA is pretty dull at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Smol, I think your toaster might be toast (ho!). The link you posted for tracking the Kickstarter isn't working for me anymore.

http://smol.dy.fi/wasteland-stats

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

Even if that is true, they are making the game that already broke even before they started. Any sales (and there will be sales) are essentially profit.

Not necessarily true. They may well go over the initial budget.

Also, half a million bucks!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Xik posted:

It really makes me laugh to see the popularity of the "old school big boxes". My family, myself included and nearly everyone I knew that played PC games when they came in those big boxes complained about how criminal it was to have these huge wastes of cardboard with a tiny (in comparison) jewel cases in it. They were also a pain in the rear end to store, they took up so much space and it was tiresome fluffing about with them when you needed to get at the game (disc had to be in the drive to play of course).

You actually stored your cases in the boxes? I had a separate rack for the jewel cases. Boxes would either go on a shelf, if I cared enough for the game, or into storage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Al! posted:

Diskettes? Looks like you're the one looking too far in the future.

Loved that old EA logo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, remind me. What's keeping the original off GOG?

EA. They retained the rights to the original.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

You don't say...

:allears:

That poor Arcanum manual is suffocating under those two. :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

Where's the kickstarter for Arcanum 2... that's what I want to know. Gimmie.

The roulette landed that one with Activision, via Sierra. I wouldn't be surprised if we see attempts at a sequel, at least in name, within the next few years with property necromancy being all the rage recently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's really screeching to a halt right before the last hurdle.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I sing of ARTS... posted:

Everyone's in bed.

How can they? We're about to make history or something

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

The graph on that one goon's website shows it holding a pretty steady pace. What makes you think it's screeching to a halt?

My anxious F5 key.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Did that work for you? All I ever got was a blank screen with a 'no data' line or some sort.

It was briefly out of commission, but it works for me now.

The URL now redirects you to: http://zxcv.fi/~sluukkonen/wasteland-stats/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

thepopstalinist posted:

This is kind of OT but I wonder if Brian Mitsoda has considered a Kickstarter campaign for Dead State, his turn-based zombie apocalypse RPG. He announced it way back before Kickstarter was even a thing and it's basically a hobby of his with his wife at this point.

I guess the primary thing might be that they made the mistake of going into partnership with Iron Tower Studies, the RPG Codex-affiliated volunteer game dev company that's been toiling away for years and years and years on their Age of Decadence fantasy RPG. If I could give Mitsoda money without any of it going to those silly dickheads, I would.

I wouldn't call it a hobby, because I don't believe they're otherwise employed. Mitsoda made it clear he was fully dedicated to the game.

And what's wrong with Iron Tower Studios? I don't care for the Codex much- and it's not like they're integrally tied to it - but I haven't seen anything disputable about ITS. Whether the product they're developing will be worth much in the end is an open question, but that's a separate concern.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fewd posted:

I think the main complaint is just that it's taking them literally ages to get AoD out. As far as I understood, there should be a playable demo out any day now though, so we'll see. Maybe there's only a few more years to go!

But it isn't a standard developing arrangement. It's a private dude personally financing a very small group of programmers and artists (I'm not certain if the internal artists aren't actually just one or two of the programmers). It is taking forever, but it would really be unreasonable to expect otherwise given the very modest setup. It's a very strange production model, and this thing ain't gonna be pretty, but I'm hoping for the best.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Someone with a spare 5k couldn't handle the suspense.

Also, :woop:!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

precision posted:

I completely disagree, I think that Wasteland has aged better than just about any other RPG from the time period (or from any time period, for that matter).

It's still very opaque to those not used to the type of game. Add to that the fact that it's entirely insurmountable without the manual. Which if you're playing it for the first time now, you probably don't have the a book copy of, making it a real chore to reference. (I guess alt tabbing works, but it still needs a thorough read before you begin).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

I couldn't sleep last night, and so I started adding up all the numbers goons were reporting. By the time I got to page 9, the thread had donated at least 6000$ So we're looking at five digits at the very least.

Codex has us beat. They've almost raised $7,000 to get a statue/shrine raised in their name. And that's on top of individual donations. (Of course, there's some overlap with SA users).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

precision posted:

When I was a kid I beat it without ever reading the manual :v:

(Or do you mean the Paragraphs? That makes more sense.)

I meant a combination of both. But that's impressive either way.

I can see the premium donator cameos becoming the new easter eggs of Fallout 2. Hopefully they're integrated subtly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AgentHaiTo posted:

Also, if anyone is looking for a new avatar. Here's a nice page.

http://wasteland.protozoic.com/wasteland/waste-pic-pc.php

But those don't animate (half the charm!). One of the wasteland wiki's has them in animated form, but I think one or two are missing a some frames.

http://wasteland.falloutwiki.com/Category:Wasteland_Animated_Images

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quarex posted:

Edit: Interesting, they doubled the $5,000 and $10,000 tiers but left the $1,000 tier untouched. Something tells me they got word from other game design people that they wanted a statue and to attend the party.

What's the point of putting a limit on a tier in the first place, if you increase it as soon as it's full? Kind of a shady practice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Not only that, but Chris Avellone is going to draw custom Codex Trolls for anyone who donates 250+. :3:

Haha. The guy is a straight up gentleman. He's also really courteous and open to fans and those curious about getting into the industry.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Randall posted:

Considering inXile's track record too, it's becoming clearer that this is a petty cash-grab simply playing on the nostalgia of old fans while the Kickstarter fire is still hot after Double Fine's recent success. :ughh:

Regardless of whether Fargo's up to the task, I believe he's sincerely passionate about the project. He isn't exactly a poor guy, and running off with the money (over 1 MILLION DOLLARS!!) would destroy his future.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fewd posted:

If kids aren't going to be murderable, then the designer shouldn't create places like Little Lamplight and the Den. Not that I ever killed any of those small professional criminal bastards in the Den though. It was that bonenose tribal over there, hate him. :colbert:

Funny how that worked. Followers would leave or shoot you if you killed a child, but as long as you refrained from making the final blow, they'd happily seek down and murder every child themselves if the kids were hostile.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It'd be good to have them try to challenge the stigma, but I'm not counting on it. It's a bit of an unknown whether the ESRB will actually indiscriminately rate any game with mortal minors AO, or whether it's an effectively self imposed taboo because everyone expects them to and consequently avoids the subject like fire.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Took a while, but we're past 1.2 million now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quarex posted:

Yeah, the Kickstarter unsurprisingly slowed down after the goal was met, but though it was pretty slow from like Midnight to 6 Pacific time, it is currently chugging along again sort of like yesterday, ~$10,000 more in the last half hour. And not from a high-level tier!

The (probably short lived) second wave.

• Locked thread