Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Donated $50 last night. I just can't say no to a cloth map and a honest to god manual. Plus, you know, Wasteland's awesome and has the single greatest box art of anything ever.

EDIT: Also, because the first time one of my crew got pegged in the noodle by a tomato the size of a beach ball is one of those gaming memories that will be with me to my dieing day.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Quarex posted:

So, I realize this video is on the main page, but nobody has talked about it yet here, particularly about how we are already learning more about Wasteland 2's plot than I expected we would know before the beta test started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEgVIMS9pQ

Namely, "the game begins shortly after the last game, in the same area, and X% of the way through the game" (he really says "some percentage") "someone crawls out of the West for the first time in recorded history and you are dispatched to set up a new Ranger Outpost in these hitherto-assumed-impassable lands." Old area nostalgia + grand mysterious exploration scenario works for me!

You also get to ride in a helicopter.

The fact that you get set up a new Ranger Outpost has me pretty intrigued. I wonder what all it's going to involve.

RagingBoner: You're thinking of Dogpatch USA. I went there as a kid. Those pictures make me sad. But, yes it would be realy cool to go Disney Land. The shootout on Mainstreet, USA will be legend in the wasteland.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 12, 2012

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Your a super stud Mr. Boner.

I couldn't find my name and was all, "drat you Jonny Spider!" :argh:

Then I realized I was reading it wrong.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Signed up for a shirt an sent you and e-mail.

I told my girlfriend I was getting a shirt with my name on it, and she stared at me. Then I told her it wasn't going to be my real name, but my internet name. I think she left me.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just hope it's absorbent. I cry big man tears.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

RagingBoner posted:

Shirt Awesomeness!

Wow, they look great RagingBoner!

You should totally grow a bad rear end mustache and start rocking the Teddy Roosevelt look. Bully!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

FauxGateau posted:

A grenade that kills air? Or merely moderates it? It would be perfect for fighting forest fires.

Also why the number 44? Is that how old Lowtax is now or something?

It's the forum id tag for the games forum.

EDIT: Woah, sup reg date buddy!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I sent my payment and replied to your e-mail with the shirt size I ordered Raging Boner.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

YourAverageJoe posted:

So long as all the info is there, usually the post offices can take care of the rest. If you're not sure if a particular bit of info is supposed to be there or not, just put it on anyway and hope for the best. :v:

Seriously. I've had to ship a handful of things over seas and to military addresses. They both appear to be formatted according to the ancient tongue of the eldar gods, but as long you put all the information you have on there the post office can usually figure it out. I was sure I completely cocked it up a couple times, but it still got there.

Post office folk are fine folk.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I got my shirt in the mail a couple of hours ago, and it looks absolutely fantastic.

You are a wonderful human being RagingBoner.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Wow! That's really freaking awesome! Congrats to Quarex on becoming Fargo's dancing boy, or whatever they've got planned, and congrats to RagingBoner for being instrumental in making it happen.

EDIT: Great Quarex, now every time I watch the Golden Girls I'm going to be thinking about leather clad catamites and the mohawked men who love them.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
That picture is awesome. It's just pure joy on camera. You two look like a kid that just got the G.I. Joe Super Deluxe Camp X-Ray Play-set for their birthday.

njark posted:

So wasteland 2 is going to use a hybrid camera model where you can change from top town to isometric. [source]

That sounds about par for the course. As long we don't have to fight the camera like some games it should be alright. Although, part of me thinks it would be kind of neat if they did something like the new XCOM's glam cam during battles.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Well, this just made my day. :)

I do think it's neat that EA is being so cool with them. It just seems so out of character for them.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I thought Quarex was going to be doing an LP. What happened to that?

He did do it. It is us. We were the LP all along.

Edit: RB and Zaii, your two avatars are hilarious together.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

RagingBoner posted:

Quarex with his Apostles:

First, the that first picture is freaking awesome. What is it/where did it come from?

Second, if you'll allow me to sperg out for a moment. The star that's going to be engraved in the center appears to be a nautical star. The desert ranger star is based of the old U.S. Marshall/Texas Ranger tin star. Admittedly they're pretty boring looking so I can't blame you for wanting to spice it up. Sorry to nitpick, but it was bugging me a little for some reason. Although, the irony of it does seem rather fitting.

Of course, I don't know why I am bothering. I don't have the money to order one, and living in Texas has ruined belt-buckles for me.

I still think this one looks pretty drat cool.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Ah, I did think that it was supposed to be a faceted star for a second, but my spurgin' got the best of me. In that case I think it's absolutely spot on, and you may promptly me ignore me. Excellent work.

Thanks for the link.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Did Dungeon Keeper or maybe some other game reference this? For some reason I remember something very similar coming up when I quit a game, and I've never played Transartica.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Duh. Thank you, that's why it sounded so drat familiar.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Seriously, I think you've found your calling.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

RagingBoner posted:

And I sell indulgences!

"Can't get into heaven without your Desert Ranger belt buckle!"

That's just for admittance. If you really want to enjoy heaven you're going to need the buckle, shirt, "Desert Rangers #1" foam finger, and the limited edition Quarex mask.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I had to go with the option A. I don't think B looks too bad, but C is just awful looking. Remember when games had color? I miss those days.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Those turned out really spiffy. I'm kind of regretting not getting one now, as well.

Excellent work R to the B.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Bastastic posted:

Brian Fargo just posted this enemy portrait from Wasteland 2 on Twitter.

First thing I thought of.

It's suitably creepy looking though, and manages to look incredibly rat like for a doberman. You can tell it has eaten its fair share of exploded blood sausage. I think the collar is a nice little detail as well.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Yuppers, I wear mine constantly. My girlfriend's mom and aunt were wondering what it was, so I had to stand there while a 60 year old woman and her sister read off such great names as A Big loving Blunt, Raging Boner, and Cock Electric.

I finer purchase I have never made. :D

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of Jagged Alliance 2 and it's combat auto-resolution feature, which would pop up if you ran into a patrol or a group of bloodcats while traveling. I almost shuddered when I thought about it. You would lose or injure more characters if you ran through the auto-resolve than if you actually played out the fight. Even highly-trained characters, who get poo poo like interrupts against enemy movement, would die without getting to pull off those abilities. I like the Earthbound thing you mentioned, it would make your characters more badass if you bandits stopped challenging you out of fear.

Most auto-resolves do that even if you horribly outclass the enemy, which is annoying. Total Wars is the same usually, although it can be kind of screwy. In Rome I once a sent a royal I didn't much care for out by himself to get slaughtered by a nearby enemy nation. I kept using auto-resolve thinking he would get curb stomped, but he just kept winning battles for some reason. He single handedly destroyed entire armies, and subjugated a nation.

I think a neat middle ground for Wasteland, at least for human opponents, would be when they attacked you they'd recognize your band and then start begging for you to spare their lives and emptying their pockets. Maybe give you an option to execute them or something for a little xp but less loot (your guys won't know where they squirreled away the best stuff). I don't know what you'd do for non-sentient enemies, though.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
That's really tempting, but I'm pretty sure I'd be homeless with only my lithograph to keep me company if I actually threw the money down on it. I'll definitely be checking out those posters when they go up.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
"They're still the same dog killing savages..." :D

EDIT: I just noticed those bugs they're fighting at the beginning are called "supafly". I also loved how meaty the weapons sounded, and the way the UI has been handled, and the... oh god it all just looks so good.

Is it wrong for me to be grinning this much from a preview?

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 10, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Great Rumbler posted:

Delicatessen is a good example of a French post-apocalyptic movie. Might also try Le Dernier Combat.

There's also Fist of the North Star, if you're willing to watch anime.

The Quiet Earth is a really good movie, too, though it doesn't have the standard wasteland. It's from New Zealand.

Might as well also add Andrei Tarkovsky' Stalker, which has a post-apocalyptic streak running through it even if it's a much different kind of movie than something like Damnation Alley or Mad Max.

I never realized Delicatessen was post-apocalyptic. I always thought it was supposed to be post-war France (not that there's much difference), but I just looked it up, and I'll be damned.

When the Wind Blows is a really good, if incredibly depressing, nuclear war animated movie set in the UK.

I also remember Neon City being okay, it's set in America, but it has a kind of different apocalypse.

EDIT: Dead End Drive-In is an Australian movie that's pretty different.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 6, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Brother None posted:

Perspective. You have to give in-game items more exaggerated proportions to make them clear and readable from our standard top-down camera angle. But that does make it a little trickier when you pull the camera down like this.

It was a lot sillier than Fallout. At least, Fallout 1.

You fought a man called the Bunny Master, and could get giant tomatoes flung at you if you pissed off the wrong people. Wasteland was pretty drat silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Upmarket Mango posted:

I bought Wasteland yesterday and started playing it. I made it through Highpool and now I'm at the Agricultural Center. Once I agree to help and I'm transported to the area with the radar dish, I can't get back out can I? My dudes are pretty beat up but I can't wait reliably because of random attacks. I don't want them to die I like them.

The soundtrack is super awesome though and I adore it.

You can force/pick open the doors in the northwest and southeast.

• Locked thread