Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

victrix posted:

We need an SA shrine, a decrepit, ruined church of scientology, infested with hideous and disgusting mutants that must be purged with cleansing fire to wipe its grotesquery from the world of Wasteland

That's in Fallout 2 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

There is a distinct lack of those kind of things in New Vegas and it is a bit more linear and driven than FO3, where you could really explore in any direction from the word go.

You can finish the game in New Vegas without even meeting Benny again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

That isn't what he means.

I know what he means, he's just saying it really badly. Fallout 3 is infinitely more linear than FO:NV. Sure, you can sequence break a bit - but you can also do that in NV and there's stuff like the above.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

I challenge you to find a better written RPG than Mask of the Betrayer in the last 10 years. (Except maybe New Vegas, which of course they also developed).

Alpha Protocol, KOTOR2?

This is really incredible news and I'm going to donate an amount of money that should be larger but I'm poor, once I get my desktop working again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Given past games like Dungeon Siege 3, I'm not all that caring for Obsidian being involved. I know NV was liked despite the bugs but Obsidian can drive something off a cliff pretty well. Can't get myself to throw more money at them just because of this.

Well, ok then. Dungeon Siege 3 is kind of the antithesis of the popular perception of Obsidian games (with some basis in fact - reach exceeding grasp) so I'm not sure how that ties into it but your choice.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

I would be incredibly curious to just how you viewed KOToR1 and Fallout 3 in comparison to New Vegas and KOToR2.

Knights Of The old Republic is a strange way to capitalise it!

What's with all the people who don't like New Vegas?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

I hate the engine, especially the way the combat feels and couldn't get more than 30 minutes into it.

That's fair enough, of course.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Doesn't it take more than 30 minutes to even get to the point where you can shoot something in New Vegas?

God no. Bear in mind you shoot something as soon as you start the tutorial.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

While we're talking about Fallout 3, can anyone explain to me what it was about that one family of cannibals that pissed people off so much? Every single time someone wanted to diss Fallout 3 compared to New Vegas they'd bring it up, but I'm playing through FO3 again and met them for the first time, and I didn't really notice any logical inconsistensies or anything.

Who, exactly, do they eat? Who's wandering around the wastes? Why haven't they been attacked by raiders?

The location by itself isn't internally contradictory, it just doesn't make sense as part of a wider world - ala having a town full of children next to a town of slavers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thetrin posted:

I wasn't even sure where to go or what to do after the first town.

You go to the next town that they send you to?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Plants and animals are doing fine in the Chernobyl exclusion zone, after all.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dixie Flatline posted:

There were alot of dumb things in FO2, like a sentient radscorpion that wears glasses and attacks you when you beat him at chess with advice you get from a talking sentient plant.

That, at least, is sci fi dumb. The quest you get from a ghost is straight out of a D&D module.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The only thing that'd get me really stoked like that is an old school isometric RPG being made by guys like Avellone, Cain et al.

:woop:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

VaultAggie posted:

So I've donated 15$ to this just out of sheer love for Obsidian but having never played Wasteland, I have no idea what to expect. Is it an isometric game like Fallout 1 and 2? I've tried looking up info but it's all very vague and uninformative. What should I expect?

Think Fallout 1/2, except more squad based and themed around the eighties rather than the fifties. Fallout was a spiritual successor to Wasteland.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

It just doesn't mention the steam copy in anything but the $75 edition; It might've just been a GoG-ish download, which is why I was confused.

Thanks though!

It's in the FAQ

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Why the hell can't I get to the paypal website, this is outrageous behaviour.

And here was me going to pledge $4.6m.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RagingBoner posted:

You can! Here you go: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge.php

Ummmmm I'm not sure you read what I said.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RagingBoner posted:

me reed gud

What kind of error are you getting? Can you access the rest of their site? Are you behind a work firewall?

Connection closed by remote server, no, no.

[edit]

It started working panic over!!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

doomfunk posted:

It did, I'm almost positive. I never played FOT (time to hunt for it on GoG or something) but played the poo poo out of 'the core three'.

It did not

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Amusingly enough, Call of Duty MW3 isn't selling as much as they hoped it would. Saturation is taking its toll and people are starting to get bored of the same game over and over again. So, no, lovely FPS clones are on their way out, slowly, but surely.

Also it's less good

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

I vote for
Ninjentleman
Dappertron
A Vicious Pug
Ace Creamcone

I, err, agree with, err, this here, err, gentleman.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I bought ME3, it's better than ME2 at least. DA2 I borrowed from my housemate who bought it despite me telling him not to.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pretty sure you don't have me on there either :colbert: No sale.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RagingBoner posted:

You are in the ring, SSW of Quarex. I guess that font does not like underscores?

:3:

And that's interesting, it looks like the caps doesn't like it but lower case does - look south of Quarex for a lower case name with an _

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Burned Man not being twenty feet tall with rocket launcher arms was thematically important dammit :argh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

vilkacis posted:

I would really recommend against it. It was a fun idea, but the possible uses for :wasteland2022: are, shall we say, a bit limited.

Yes, all our current smilies are applicable to common social situations :pwm:

Not saying it's not a waste of money, but you're setting the bar far too high here

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

I would love to know the story behind :pwm:.

The Paolo Wanchope Memorial is the FYAD-lite thread in the football forum. I believe it's a speculum with a mustache, boots, football and hat coloured to look like a parrot.

The smilie that is, not the thread.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

That means we live in Brave New World, not Cyberpunk. Though oddly given that he was writing when television had not been invented yet

He wrote the book in 1931, there had been some form of television broadcast in the UK since 1929, let alone the thing having actually been invented at all.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RagingBoner posted:

It's been over 24 hours since someone signed up for a shirt... and with this thread pretty much having petered out, I doubt anyone else will be signing up.

I'm kinda anxious to get this thing rolling, so would anybody object to me ending the sign-up tomorrow (instead of the middle of May)? That way I can order the shirts and get them shipped out even earlier.

I was going to sign up towards the end because I don't know if I can afford it yet :ohdear: (haven't heard if I've got a job post-graduation yet essentially)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I remember one game we ran around with a stolen carpet for ages just in case.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Missed the email, will send money when I get my next money in.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Sexy Sexist Picture of a Goon in a Wasteland 2 Raging Boner Shirt Contest!

Is the prize another T-shirt? Sign me up!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Can you send me a new email about paying and such, I was reading it on my phone and deleted it accidentally :saddowns:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Teim posted:

Sending you payment now Ragingboner!

Also sending you the monies now Mr Boner

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Still no shirt here :smith:

Game looks good though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RagingBoner posted:

I have one unclaimed large to sell still. Anyone still interested in a shirt?

Mine hasn't arrived :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RagingBoner posted:

Well that's because I'm a retard and marked your shirt as sent when it wasn't, and only just mailed it today.

I was going to send you an email about it, but my public shaming is well deserved.

It's no big deal, just happy for it to be sent :)

Thank you!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Combat is tile-based and turn based, complete with adding cast time to your initiative when you act, delaying your moves appropriately. Fights in the later games like Dark Queen of Krynn can be a bigger pain in the rear end than Baldur's Gate 2 fights*.

BG2 fights are fairly simple anyway.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Having choices have consequences beyond the cosmetic was good, though. Nothing should (without knowledge from outside the game) stop you from finishing the thing, but you should be able to make things easier or harder on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

voltron lion force posted:

To be fair the gameplay to reading ratio was a little off. Certainly doesn't make it unplayable but there were a few times I thought: "When do I get to do something?"

The reading is the gameplay!

• Locked thread