Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Alchemist posted:

Actually you gave some pretty good and valid points, with no fanboyism or opinion-based arguments, and your post really makes me feel alot better about Obsidian now. After all New Vegas is only game from Obsidian that I really dislike, Neverwinter 2 was actually really good. I dont want to go into too much detail on why New Vegas isn't better than Fallout 3, but I just want to mention that I love Fallout 1 and 2 to death, and neither Fallout 3 or New Vegas was a worthy sequel for them. I also want to point out that I have no nostalgic bias in this since I'm only 19 years old and actually played Fallout 1 and 2 after playing Fallout 3.

I dont like Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Planescape. I LOVE THEM!! :black101:
Seriously my favorite games of all time. It's not like new Obsidian is exactly the same group that made those games however, and I'm not really happy with their recent works. I dont know if its the guys themselves or the gameindustry that's changed so dramatically that is the reason of their games not being fun anymore, but something's going on.

I could go in depth with reasons why I dont like New Vegas but I have a strange feel that I better not:downs:. I'll just go play Wasteland .

Eh, this makes sense, and I say that as someone who thinks New Vegas is probably the best game in like ten years. But if you were also pretty lukewarm on Fallout 3 then yeah, New Vegas was pretty samey in some major ways. Now, its the people who hate New Vegas but love Fallout 3 that just leave me bewildered.

This thread has reminded me that I only have two games installed on my PC, KOTOR2 and Planescape, and I never even got out of the first area in Planescape (where you're palling around with that floating skull). May have to pick it up this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

This was probably brought up on previous pages but its weird to think there will be all these shrines and statues to donators in Wasteland 2 (nineteen by my count) just littered about or whatever.

Or maybe they'll shove them all in one hidden room somewhere.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

thetrin posted:

It's been a while since I've played it, but the only thing I remember was that I had some quest to go to some abandoned amusement park and everyone there could kill me in like, 5 seconds.

That's pretty much where I stopped.

Maybe one day when I have a lot of time, I'll buy it again and give it another chance.

I'll be honest, though. I found the game horribly boring and empty. Maybe that was the point of the game, but that just depressed me. I honestly didn't want to be in the world the game presented me with.

I had the same first experience as you, honestly. I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong and why my first times through I was getting raped on normal difficulty and now, using the same guns on very hard, I'm breezing through with ease, but yeah.

If its any consolation and you're willing to try it again, things become much more lively and populated in and around the Strip, and that's also where the choice/faction stuff really comes into play. You also have the option of picking up a few different companions on the top part of the map, most of which even comment on business as you walk around.

Not that I'm saying you have to try it again, just that a lot of your early impressions definitely aren't representative of the game as a whole (I love Obsidian, but New Vegas, KOTOR2, and Alpha Protocol show that they're not exactly the best at making the first few hours suck you in). Also, I would say the 'purposefully depressing post-apocalyptic' thing is more representative of Fallout 3, where you couldn't go twenty feet without tripping over loving two skeletons with a pistol and a bunch of drugs littered around them.

New Vegas is more post-post-apocalyptic, if that makes sense: there's still radiation and crazy monsters and poo poo, but everyone you meet isn't trying to kill you over a can of beans. Society has mostly rebuilt itself, people are scratching out a living from farming/whatever, and the main theme of the game basically revolves around the question of "which group can best rebuild society?" Its still sparse because its supposed to be kind of a western (and, well, Gamebryo can only do so much) but its definitely not supposed to be "everyone is dead" sparse. More "everyone is back west and we're in some frontier town poo poo" sparse.

Heavy neutrino posted:

You've just said better than I could why I couldn't get into FO3, thanks. Nothing stands up to two seconds of scrutiny.

Yeah, its funny the first time when you're just walking along and you hit wacky comic book town followed by the Republic of Dave followed by Deathclaw town followed by a roach king but after awhile playing a game based solely around what appear to be the post-apocalyptic version of Family Guy cutaway jokes gets a bit tiresome. You start to wonder why you keep running across rooms with poignantly-posed skeletons hugging each other on a bed, untouched and unseen by man for two-hundred years in a town where loving raiders moved in next door. You wonder why the town of young children who had to leave Little Lamplight not only decided to run halfway across the ultra-hostile wasteland to start a new town, but why they chose to do it right next to a slaver town and a giant super mutant camp. And what the gently caress is everyone eating? There's like one brahmin in all of Megaton, no farming, and the only restaurant in the area seems to primarily sell 200-year-old snack cakes.

Dixie Flatline posted:

The DC ruins were the best part of Fallout 3. They were great to explore and nothing in New Vegas comes close. I'm really glad NV cut back on the 'dungeons' though. What possible reason do I need to go into 'Yaoi Gaoi Tunnels' or the myriad of other places with nothing but enemies and junk in them.

I don't know man, you've been through one subway tunnel filled with feral ghouls and garbage only to emerge in a small outside area filled with super mutants and garbage, you've been through them all.

For what it's worth though, the one bit of New Vegas that truly is apocalyptic as all gently caress is the Lonesome Road DLC, which did the whole 'ruined tunnels and ruined cityscape' thing way better than Fallout 3 did (though it is pretty linear).

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 1, 2012

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Granted the Mojave desert is pretty sparse, I mean really sparse. In fact, outside of Las Vegas, I think there were more people living out in the boonies in game than in real life. Seriously, Primm isn't much more that the what was in the game, and there is very little else out there.

New Vegas was really good about connecting plot and the narrative, especially regarding different factions and why they were in certain places and fighting with whom. Also, New Vegas felt like a city, it has neighborhoods and sort of even suburbs. It it real exciting when you first get there when you realize you aren't just going to walk up to a loading screen but that there is a fairly large surrounding area that gets denser and more populated at the center.

That said, it gives a different flavor to the game since the DC wasteland barely has any population centers while New Vegas is worried about power supplies and regional integration. In post-apocalyptic literature, you either see the world at its worst/a complete mess or rebuilt into some different society. You rarely see the kind of in between state where everything hasn't been fixed, but people aren't just scavenging for supplies or fighting off raiders. It was actually kind of cool.

I wonder if the next fallout game is kind of going to take on that theme, and the world is going to be more and more solidified and it is going to more about organized warfare/factions.

Its going to be by Bethesda, mang. Expect Fallout 3 but on the Skyrim engine. Doesn't mean it won't be fun, just don't expect any kind of thematic depth, real reactivity or good writing in general.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

And to think, I was gonna donate tomorrow after my check cleared.

Guess I don't have to now :unsmigghh:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Popping into this thread to say I think we'll see a lot of people buy the game who aren't already backers when it finally comes out, myself included. I didn't back it because I was making subhuman wages at a terrible job when the kickstarter was in full swing, but I kind of vaguely was like "Hey, I'll get that later probably!"

That gameplay video is what got me genuinely pumped, though, and I can't imagine I was totally alone in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

tuluk posted:

both you & your date need to dress as snake plissken. one in the escape from new york outfit, the other in the escape from la outfit.

That leather trenchcoat was just the worst.

Also, please tell me this game isn't seriously going to be like 33 GB because if so, how?

• Locked thread