Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
Heard about this a few weeks ago and I'm pretty excited for it. Going to throw some money into the hat just for the all the fun the fallouts gave me. Also I think the whole kickstarter idea is really cool.

I never played wasteland, it was before my time. Though I'll bet if this kickstarter is popular EA will throw it on GOG. From what I understand they have the rights for the first one, and they have been putting a lot of their older catalog up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Cream_Filling posted:

Also,

Haha didn't fallout 2 have a computer that said the same thing about the next fallout?

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
Threw my $150 in the ring, not only because I want to see this game made, but I REALLY REALLY like the idea of bypassing publishers and giving money directly to the makers of a product I'd like made. I hope this succeeds and we see more of this (though not to the extent of indie bundles good god...)

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
Quarex should get back and update the OP with the kickstarter page. It's cool this is getting a lot of attention (and it's cool the mods stickied it :) ). I'm really excited that this may actually come together.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
Upped my kickstarter to 250 for you Quarex!

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Jimmy Colorado posted:

This was basically me as well. I played it over a friend's house, on a Tandy, in the basement, and along with Wasteland being the time-grinder du jour, we also played the living poo poo out of Might & Magic III.

I haven't seen or heard from that friend in years, maybe even a decade, but this is something I'm sure he'd contribute a couple bucks to. I've got to find him and have inXile take his money...

That'd be beautiful if you rekindled an awesome friendship thanks to wasteland 2 kickstarter :3:

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Quarex posted:

Anyone who has not looked at the official forums, I think your time to be able to look at them without losing your mind has come to an end. Not because every post is crazy or anything, but because there are far more posts made now than anyone could possibly read unless it were literally there job to do so. But I suppose that might be the point.

The hot debate now seems to be rather or not to include a mod kit (I am very much for it :) )

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Quarex posted:

Also, can someone please tell me why that is called the "troll face?" I finally figured out what people were talking about when I was in Iceland last year and saw a "Forever Alone" t-shirt, but I do not know the origins of the "MEME."

knowyourmeme has a pretty extensive write up on it (look up forever alone on there)

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

This guy is saying that inXile has funded no projects but they have?

Also Before Tim shaffer's thing (which I didn't fund I kinda don't care about adventure games) and this I never heard of kickstarter, and I definitely will keep an eye on it now an kick some money into it when ever I have some to spare.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

CrookedB posted:

Heh, it's an epidemic. Dead State, Brian Mitsoda's survival zombie RPG, is heading down the Kickstarter route as well: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2482.0.html

We really need a dedicated Kickstarter thread. I hope someone creates one. (Not me, though; I wouldn't be able to update the OP regularly enough.)

oh goddammit I'm gonna spend all my gaming money on games not even out yet :( I guess I can work on my backlog.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Rinkles posted:

Fargo :words:
I think he was just moved to emotional compassion from all the love we sent his way and just felt the needs to instantly gratify that or something /armchairpsychology :ohdear:

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
So...which music should he steal for wasteland 2?

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
http://www.ripten.com/2012/03/27/brian-fargo-talks-wasteland-2-abysmal-publisher-treatment-and-having-fun-again/ Fargo does a interview about wasteland stuff and the gaming business in general. Pretty interesting read.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
I want Chris Avellone to sign my collector's edition box too :(

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
Brian and Chris are doing a "chat" on reddit now (I remember the olden days when people would use irc for this nonsense). http://redd.it/s81zu

I think its about halfway over? Looking forward to someone culling all the new info out of it.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only question would be if they'd keep using kickstarter or not.

I'd feel weird if inexile(for example) made tons of money off wasteland 2 after it came out then came back around with their hat in their hand asking for a 2nd go around. I definitely wouldn't put up more then I did this first time around.

Right now he seems kinda like a underdog championing a genre that fell by the wayside, but if they just bankrolled $5 million I would feel like they can make wasteland 3 without my help (beyond maybe a preorder).

I guess I'm hoping that these smaller companies use kickstarter to kind of kickstart self publishing and then go from there and not come around for 2nds and 3rds.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

RagingBoner posted:

I'm not going to do any more charts until the end of the thread, because donations are about to start surging like crazy. For the next 48 hours, this page will be your best friend for statistics. Especially that bottom left bar graph and the two bottom line graphs.

Here we go, boys! *kicks open door, jumps out of plane*

Do you suppose we will make it to 3 million ragingboner? your predictions have been pretty spot on from what I recall. I'd love an editor!

Blooshoo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 15, 2012

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

doomfunk posted:

It is, but if you really wanted to you could play FO2 in realtime like Crusader or something.

I never did because it didn't work out too well for me, but hey, the option was there.

Did F02 have that option? I never noticed it. I know FOT did.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

RagingBoner posted:

What would prevent someone being nefarious and purchasing several pre-paid credit cards for like $20 a piece, setting up several amazon accounts with each card, and then pledging extremely large amounts?

I think that it is a combination of :effort: and credit card fraud charges being serious business that prevents such things from transpiring on a huge scale. I mean most places you can buy cards from have cameras in place and such.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Badguy posted:

They'd hardly dismiss the idea of building mod tools if they fall short of the $3 million mark, right? Dev costs are met so, as long are there aren't any major setbacks, I can't imagine there'd be many expenses to cover once it's released. Wouldn't be too crazy to project a few thousand more sales from people who didn't like the idea of contributing to a funding model, didn't hear about the kickstarter or would only take an interest once they've seen a solid build of the game. They should be able to cover the costs somewhere down the line.

Brian Fargo should pony up that 100k he promised initially. Fargo fund those mods! :colbert:

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

fookolt posted:

Even better, if you're on the fence about just how awesome mod tools would make this game, just look into the Skyrim Nexus thread.

Just imagine the possibilities for WastelandNexus :allears:

Gonna get some boobs on that Scorpitron 2.0. Also there will be a sidequest where you can seduce it.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
I hope someone records that party thing so us folk who work late can watch it. :ohdear:

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

KillHour posted:

If you're doing this tonight, I definitely want to throw my hat in the ring for a shirt. My email is killhour @ gmail.

Edit: My size is XL (unless they run small).

Gildan is my favorite brand of cheap t shirt because they run a little big if anything, and also you can order them from cheap t shirt websites for like $2-3 each :)

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

The orange chart is more falloutty though! As we can see here brian fargo has always been a little on our minds.

http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=brian%20fargo&cmpt=q

Blooshoo fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

blue squares posted:

I meant more of gameplay style than aesthetic. I know it's top down and party-based, not first person. I'm hoping it's more fun and goofy with interesting stories/encounters than about being a good tactician.

Fallout 3 and new vegas have more options for loving around and just wandering. WL3, from what I've played (about 2 hours of beta..saving myself for retail my body is ready) is more of a direct narrative RPG. you go to a hub and from there you can get quests and then go to a few other hubs, the structure reminded me a lot of old blackisle/bioware games. Which makes sense.

"Good for loving around a few hours a week" I am not sure. I guess that depends on how well the journaling system works as a refresher to what the gently caress you were doing, and why you were doing it. Which is my own issue with these types of games..Not 14 anymore :(

• Locked thread