Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Brown Moses posted:

I'm amazed there's already 25 people who have gone for the 1k option, great to see it already raking in the cash.

I did. I've got a month to figure out where I'm getting the money. Small price to pay for literally being a part of something as formative in my life as Wasteland was.

Edit: they got their second 10k backer, goddamn.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

Unless it was just Notch again. But considering how likely wealthy some of those people who are quoted at the top of the Kickstarter page are, it was likely one of them.

Apparently CliffyB donated 10k. That's the rumor at least.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

Aww, CliffyB!!! I never really figured out who he was, just that he was a "Younger Gaming Individual" and that he had lots of money and women. But if the rumor is true, he is truly paying it forward. Paying it backward.

(Former?) Goon, producer or something on Gears of War, celebrity game designer, rich enough to donate 10k to a kickstarter... who doesn't want to be CliffyB?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ulmont posted:

I'd think not that many. You need a truly rabid fanbase to pull off a Kickstarter that's this high. I seem to recall some indie guys completely failing to raise much smaller amounts, including one by my old roommate Borut Pfiefer who only got to just under $3k of a $15k ask.

Exactly - this kind of stuff is really only successful when you have the fanbase there in the first place.

It's great that so many of us remember Wasteland so fondly.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

uftheory posted:

I still want to recruit Metal Maniac and run through Finster's Mind Maze...not some new lame version of each dreamed up by Wasteland fanboys. I just can't tolerate the graphics and sounds and interface any longer.

You know that like the entire original Wasteland design team is doing this project right, including Ken St Andre who hasn't done anything C-RPG related pretty much since the original?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

uftheory posted:

I'm open to it being a great new story that fits in perfectly with the first one. It still won't be WASTELAND though... it will be WASTELAND 2.

My point is I want to play WASTELAND again and this will, if anything, make that longing worse.

Edit: Doesn't mean I'm not chipping in and still excited anyway...

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm planning on installing it and running with DOSBox this weekend. I had to really go digging for WL_gdchars.arj.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Al! posted:

Diskettes? Looks like you're the one looking too far in the future.

Ha, I pulled my set of this out yesterday as well.

For some reason though I cannot find my Wasteland box. I have everything else but not box, even the survival guide. WHAT THE gently caress. NOT OK.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Al! posted:

I wish that was my set. I don't have ANY of my old PC games anymore, because I'm an idiot who throws stuff away too readily. On the flip-side it's not like I own anything that can read a floppy.

That's cool. We can't all be hardcore. :black101:

If you do want to play WL right off your floppies.. there are options.

Actually that thing only reads, not writes. Best you can do is copy your files to your hard drive. But still.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

Yeah, it is funny, a lot of the things that people who played Fallout but not Wasteland want to see in the game are causing arguments with the Wasteland fans, but pretty much nobody has anything bad to say about having Mark Morgan in charge of everything audio. It is hard to deny how utterly amazing his work is for the genre, apparently.

It's me. I'm the Wasteland fan that wants to chase the "I want Van Buren!" crowd back to NMA.

Edit: /\/\/\ It's basically Reddit's own version of our Ask forum but with people like Neil deGrasse Tyson popping in to do threads from time to time. With Reddit's awful interface and userbase.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 15, 2012

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Xik posted:

Anyway, just as a reminder to those of you that changed their reward tier at any point and done the payment again: You have to go into your amazon payments account and cancel the previous payment authorizations so you don't get charged multiple times.
  • Sign in to your Amazon payments account
  • Go to "Edit my account settings"
  • then "Manage my payment authorizations"
  • If you changed your pledge amount you should see multiple items.
  • Find the oldest one[s] and make sure you only have one authorization and it's for the correct amount you wanted to pledge.
  • Here is a direct link, I don't know if it will work or through you back to your account overview.

Wanted to bump this and say thank you - I looked for how to do this yesterday and couldn't figure it out, even with their online "help."

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The official forums are becoming a cesspoll of trolls, counter-trolls, and idiocy.

Why oh why can't the internet be the benevolent dictatorship/police state we have on SA? :smith:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

AgentHaiTo posted:

I'm stealing your idea for my play thru. It took me a little while to get the attribute scores I wanted.

Hmm, not a bad idea...

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

FuriousGeorge posted:

Crazy as they may be, I'd still want to play the game that NMA wants.

I would too someday, as soon as I have my real Wasteland 2 sequel :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

precision posted:

For half a second I was filled with glee and hope that this was an update of the Infocom Sherlock Holmes game (which was fantastic, go play it now).

Best Sherlock until Serrated Scalpel.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

precision posted:

What was the name of that free Flash-based, really detailed and awesome Victorian Detective game? I never did finish it and now I can't find it. I think there was a thread about it, but I don't have search and Google is giving me far more lovely games than I thought could possibly exist on one Internet.

If I remember correctly it was a Jack the Ripper game that was an advertorial for something from the British Museum, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.

Googling only turns up some horrible "play as jack the ripper" game, and the Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper adventure game.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

Still, the important thing is, as of a couple of days ago at least, the official InXile forums still had (if the topics with polls are any indication) balances of like ~5:1 "people who want Wasteland 2" versus "people who want anime-styled graphics and realistic bonuses based on marriage and also please do not stop us from raping everyone in the game." So that is something!

The saner voices do seem to be wearing out, or at least the trolls are starting to lose interest while the people who give a poo poo about the game are patiently waiting them out.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kharmakazy posted:

Any info on how I can get the drat game to actually play full screen? Windowed is for the birds/people without adhd.

Are you using d-fend reloaded to run the game? It should take care of whatever behind the scenes crap is causing DOSBox to screw up in fullscreen mode.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Largepotato posted:

Games with PC speaker music were painful.

Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum would like a word with you. :colbert:

Wikipedia posted:

It is also one of the first games to incorporate RealSound technology. This technique uses the computer's PC Speaker to generate high-quality digitized sounds such as speech, music, and sound effects without the use of additional hardware.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Casimir Radon posted:

Related

Oh man. A rare German Region 2 special edition DVD is the only release of this on DVD - limited to 1000 copies.

WHY OH WHY CAN'T I SEE THE REST.

Edit: Seattle's amazing Scarecrow Video has it.. on VHS. Might have to dig out my old player for this one.

quote:

No those were pretty much the worst.

Yeah I pretty much meant it as a joke. I remember my friends and I going "full speech without a Soundblaster hell yeah!" and being extremely disappointed in the results.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 20, 2012

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Young Freud posted:

While it's not DVD-quality, I'm surprised you didn't notice the full movie in the recommended viewing list.

Woah, totally missed that. It's certainly watchable quality, thanks!

quote:

I also started a new thread to talk about old school PC RPGs over here for continuing to talk about Wasteland (among other games) after the kickstarter ends.

loving awesome. I'll add a couple of posts about some of my favorites too.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kharmakazy posted:

So in the original, you had to use the install disk to make new game disks every time you wanted to start over?

Welcome to gaming in the 80s!

At least it comes with an install program - Starflight didn't even do that. You had to make copies of your master disks because it also saved over the game files as you played, but if you didn't notice that line in the manual and popped your disks in to play the game - you were hosed, especially because dying in Starflight ended the entire game (often with months of work if you hadn't backed up your PLAY disks.)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Rinkles posted:

Also, Tex Murphy is next Kickstarter contender. (Drive launches May 15).

Goddamn it. I might as well just give these guys a direct line to my wallet.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah it would be nice if the publisher system had any integrity in the first place but I see that as about as likely as Michael Bay making a thought-provoking film. Publishers only look for the fastest ways to make money, and those aren't very creative.

In the beginning, the developers were the publishers. The publishers grew up because of the need for marketing and distribution. Now that the internet has empowered developers to do their own marketing again (and fans to help them - look at this thread), and to distribute their own games without the need to get into every Wal-Mart and Target across America (and for a much better profit), it's great to see the system realigning itself.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

TerryLennox posted:

NMA :words:

I used to post there when Miroslav was still running it and it was a decent community all things considered. Once I switched over to SA for my game discussion needs I drifted off, and I always wondered what turned that community into a massive bag of dicks.

Now I know. Kind of just makes me sad.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Doc Hawkins posted:

My feelings about NMA are mixed, because I personally wanted something actiony and 3d and approachable from Fallout 3, but when I finally played it, all their comically pessimistic and dismissive predictions turned out to be right on the money.

It's true: Fallout 3 did not let you skullfuck the corpses of children.

drat YOU BETHESDA!

Edit: It was also not that great of a game and most of the complaints about it were legitimate. That said, I thought New Vegas was awesome and most of them hate New Vegas for the same reasons, which is all kinds of incorrect.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 22, 2012

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Leinadi posted:

I post there sometimes and I think the reception of New Vegas has been pretty warm overall. Not everyone likes it but that's true for any game at any forum. The whole "oh god oh god oh god let Obsidian do Fallout 4" is true there as it is for a lot of people in the New Vegas thread over here.

That's good to know at least - I've seen F3 / NV lumped together several times on the WL2 forums, which truth be told is about as close as I prefer to get to that crowd.

thepopstalinist posted:

It's always interesting to me how forceful personalities (often mentally ill folk) can dominate and change online communities.

Wave after wave of constant negativity does eventually affect everyone's though patterns, especially when people agree with parts of it at first. I forget what the psychological phenomenon is called but it definitely exists. It's the same thing that cult leaders can take advantage of, controlling messaging to the point where the echo chamber they've created is repeated over and over and any dissenting opinion is quickly and forcefully crushed.

E: Also, what's the deal with RPG Codex? I'd never heard of them until this.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Wow an unfunny YCS.

E: \/\/\/ :frogout:

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 23, 2012

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

theblackw0lf posted:

Interesting reading his biography. He used to write songs for Jefferson Starship.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,308830/

Sure he wasn't writing for Milli Vanilli? :fry:

Jeet christ does that reference date me.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

TerryLennox posted:

Can we pin down what is Wasteland about and how its different from Fallout?

I shared something similar on the WL forums.

Fallout very much captures the feel of 50s and early 60s (up to and slightly after the Cuban Missile Crisis) nuclear / cold war paranoia. This was the era of giant atomic monsters, Buck Rogers-style sci fi weapons, and an abstract fear that nuclear war would happen but by god the good old USofA (or USSR if you were on the other side I suppose) would pull through and survive - and the government did everything they could to encourage this myth. The Vaults are straight out of that zeitgeist.

It was a very different kind of cold war paranoia from the 80s - after Vietnam bloodied America's nose, when we realized that 5000 ICBMs apiece would pretty much turn the world into total radioactive shithole that wouldn't be a lot of fun for the survivors.

The fiction of the times represents this shift too: the 50s was stuff like Alas, Babylon where 'Merica could survive. The post-CMC / Vietnam era shifted much more towards total annihilation - Mad Max, Swan Song, even The Stand. The film "The Day After" was a big turning point and watershed moment for hte 80s zeitgeist: there was Nightline special that ran after the show where scientists sat down with Reagan military officials to debate the likelihood of the film coming to pass in a nuclear exchange. The Reaganites repeated the old mantra of first strike, America will survive, yadda yadda - it's almost comical to watch in retrospect but at the time that's the lie our leaders were trying to sell us. Carl Sagan turns to the guy and basically calls him a liar on air, and ennumerates that the film didn't go far enough in how bad a nuclear exchange would really be. It wouldn't be some survivalist circlejerk as we rebuild America without the godless commies: it would be hell on earth and the lucky ones were the ones who died.

Wasteland was much more in this second vein than the first. That feeling of hopelessness in the face of a potential mutually assured destruction was captured really well in WL.

That's the difference: WL was made during the cold war and was a direct reflection of the zeitgeist of the 80s. Fallout was made in the 90s almost 10 years after the Wall came down and was almost a parody - or at least a rose-colored fantasy - of the zeitgeist of the 50s and 60s.

I hate to say this but it's a perspective that is probably very different for those of us who lived through it, versus those who never did or were too young to remember hiding under desks for useless nuclear attack drills.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Shadley Puffin posted:

Both the Redding track and The Stand OST are basically one big homage to the slide guitar master Ry Cooder and specifically his incomparable work from the film Paris, Texas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ymVaq3Fqk

Thanks for the link - I had no idea, and this is a loving great soundtrack.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Alright, fair enough, these are some pretty good examples of excellent hollywood VO talent.

"War. War never changes."

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Stalin-Chan posted:

Is Obsidian really all that good? I mean they made Neverwinter Nights 2 and Dungeon Siege 3. Should they really be messing with Wasteland 2? (I'm aware the CEO worked on Fallout 2)

Fallout: New Vegas. The best RPG of the last 5 years. :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The fact that civilizations can disappear almost totally makes you wonder if any great civilizations may have been on earth before us, rose to prominence, and then faded away for some reason, all traces of them crumbling to dust over the eons.

Science gives us the answer!

No, there wasn't. Don't be silly

You only say that because our expeditions to the Mountains of Madness keep disappearing before the can transmit their findings. :cthulhu:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Wait a second didn't they already announce the LSL remake on XBLA a few months ago?

I thought that was a done deal and now there's a kickstarter for it?

Come on. Quest for Glory II got a remake without any kickstarter and the Cole's blessing and it was awesome.

E: And now there's this :bandwagon: for Shadowrun fans. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns

E2: EFB. Stupid looking up smilies.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 4, 2012

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Casimir Radon posted:

Jane Jensen apparently. God damnit, I'm going to be playing these games under an overpass.

I would except her last game, Gray Matter, was SO awful.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
RagingBoner, are you pulling data from a kickstarter API? I'm curious because I saw on the Shadowrun kickstarter how many people supported other projects and wondered if there was some easy way to break down first-time or single-project donors vs. those who funded multiple projects - basically, whether the majority of kickstarter users are one-offs or if using it once potentially leads to supporting multiple things.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Shardok posted:

So hey, there's this great game being made, it's a sequel to an old game Wasteland, made like, before our time...

Wasn't before my time youngling. No go change your diaper. :smugdog:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So is there an actual link to pledge and donate for the SA statue?

I'm on track to make my $1k for selling off my poo poo so I can kick a few bucks to our cause too.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

kimbo305 posted:

Is there backstory for any SA vs NMA strife?

I don't think it's strife per say, it's more than NMA is ludicrously negative for almost everything to the point where they're openly mocked on other forums like this one.

There was a really good post in the first 20 pages or so of the thread about it, and one community leader who basically lead the charge into negative hell over there that they've never recovered from.

E: Well now I want to know why Axe says yes. Did I miss something?

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Teim posted:

More games need to give me the ability to RP a ripped bull-dyke who demolishes everything in her path as opposed to a skinny waif with a huge rack who moans when she takes damage.

A bit :goonsay: I know, but I really like making ugly characters in video games for some reason.

Coincidentally I just discovered the term Fighting gently caress Toy as a good way to summarize the oversexualization of "actiony" women in games and movies, so yes, the more female characters that resemble Vasquez from Aliens, the better.

• Locked thread