Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I got all the way to the end of this thread and I'm disappointed that Quarex hasn't started his LP yet. He needs to make an LP that infects us all with his enthusiasm and shows us all how to play the original game so we can try it for ourselves and then take to the Wasteland 2 forums en masse to shout down the "Van Buren" faction, because Quarex has shown us how much better the original was and we can no longer deny the truth.

Also, inXile's Bard's Tale was awesome. I really want to play through it a third time, but I've been waiting for Steam to put it on sale. Why won't you put it on sale, Steam? I thought we had something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Quarex posted:

Between the comments I have gotten about doing a Let's Play in this thread and in private messages, I am feeling increasingly like a Bad Wasteland 2ian. I promise I am weighing my real life not-getting-kicked-out-of-school obligations versus the possibility of beginning one before the Kickstarter ends and some crucial momentum is lost.

Not that I want you to jeopardize your education or anything, but I really, really want to see an informative screenshot LP of Wasteland, where you show all of us how the hell the game works and how to break it in half. I will raise my donation from $30 to $75 if you get the LP started before the kickstarter ends. Beta access would be cool, but I feel like I'd appreciate it more and be a much better tester if I had a good understanding of the original game first, so your LP would literally make it worth it to me.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

HondaCivet posted:

Plus I'd like to see bonds0097 take a swing at an LP.

There aren't any problems with multiple LPs for the same game, even at the same time - especially if they're a different format (video vs. screenshot, for example). There's also no rule on how fast or slow an LP has to be, so even if Quarex only has time for an update once every week or two, it wouldn't even be the slowest LP around.

Quarex: I've done several screenshot LPs of some very long games, including while taking a very heavy course load at college, so if you decide you want to go for it, feel free to PM me any questions, test posts, etc. and I'll try to give you any advice I can. :)

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Since I asked for and received mod permission, here's a link to the original Wasteland on Home of the Underdogs: http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/39-rpg/22114. Play away! The first link is the manual and the third is the game. The middle link seems dead.

I also started a new thread to talk about old school PC RPGs over here for continuing to talk about Wasteland (among other games) after the kickstarter ends.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I'm really torn about this announcement. On the one hand, I couldn't be more thrilled at the prospect of adding Chris Avellone and any other Obsidian folks to the project. They're the company I most want to support via kickstarter. On the other hand, it feels a little slimy to make that participation depend on a new, higher donation level. Yes, there are probably licensing fees, but we're already well over half a million above the original goal. That money was supposed to go to creating a bigger world with more choices, which is exactly what partnering with Obsidian is going to make easier. Essentially, I feel like we've already paid for this, and now Brian Fargo wants more.

I still upped my pledge (by more than double), but the details leave a kind of a bad taste in my mouth.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
What I meant to say before is that Obsidian's involvement brings in tools and expertise which will directly contribute to the goals that were stated for prior donation levels. That money that was already paid in would be well spent hiring Obsidian, because the tools and expertise they get will allow them to use their limited budget to greater effect. If they instead announced that Chris Avellone was being hired with some of the money they already have in excess of their original goal, I don't think anybody would be complaining because that's not in contradiction with what that money was allotted for in the first place. Accordingly, asking for more just seems like a marketing stunt.

I did donate more and I'm not suggesting anyone else do any differently. I just don't feel as warm and fuzzy as I want to feel when donating to Obsidian.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Smol posted:

That's exactly what they just announced.

No, they announced that they will hire Obsidian if they get another half-million dollars. If they don't get the additional money, Obsidian won't be involved. I don't think Obsidian's involvement should be held hostage when there's already enough extra money to cover the licensing fees and wages for bringing them in. To put it a different way, imagine the kickstarter somehow fails to break 2 million (I know, but pretend, okay). I would be annoyed that Brian Fargo would leave Obsidian out entirely instead of dipping into the original "world building" fund so that Obsidian could help out with the world building, too.

Thinking about it, though, there's enough irrational Obsidian hate out there that I'm pretty sure people would freak out if they just announced Chris Avellone was coming on board, and asking for more money has the added perk of avoiding the sort of backlash that might occur if people thought their donations were being diverted to Obsidian. Those people can just leave their donations where they were, and us Obsidian fans will pick up the burden for sure.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

AllanGordon posted:

Wow you really go out of your way to get mad at things.

You used more words, but this is still a tired cliche. I'm 95% in favor of this change instead of 100%. Is that really such a crime?

I donate because it makes me feel good. I want to financially support people who I respect and admire. I'm not donating for the promise of a game that's still in a pre-development phase, and I'm not donating because the project needs my support to succeed (it doesn't). I'm donating primarily for the emotional satisfaction I get out of doing so. The more marketing stunts Brian Fargo pulls, the less it feels like I'm supporting those people I have so much respect for and the more it feels like I'm just feeding into a marketing machine, and that diminishes my enthusiasm for donating. That's not anger or even disappointment, it's just my opinion. Not everyone likes the videos or the "kick it forward" campaign either. It's okay to disagree!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Crowd funding will definitely not put up 50 million in development money though.

This is a good thing in my opinion. I think most games would actually benefit from smaller budgets, and the naive, idealistic part of me really wants the quality and success of these smaller budget kickstarter titles to make publishers realize they don't need to try and cram every good idea into the AAA mold. I pretty much know it will never happen, but hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

AxeManiac posted:

I'm not really too excited about Wasteland 2 itself, just the focus of all these creative people making a game like this, at this point in gaming history. It's going to interesting to play and if I just can't hack the gameplay, I'm sure the world and stories and characters will be worth it.

And if it doesn't happen, I have proof the old ways are gone and will go order some more Fallout DLC or something.

I like this way of looking at it. It's not very often that the end of an era is signaled with such decisive closure as would happen if the game completely bombed. Either way, I'm glad I have front row seats! ...or maybe box seats or something. I don't know. I'm bad with metaphors.

Rinkles posted:

On the other hand, I'd suggest Fallout (or 2) over Arcanum without question. Even with patches Arcanum was never properly balanced, the character system is unintuitive and gimping yourself with a bad build is very easy. Combat is an abomination. It's simultaneously both laughably breakable and very punishing if you're trying guns for the first time. Fallout's combat isn't particularly tactical but it's straightforward, and 90% of the fights don't have you swarmed by the enemy within a turn of combat (you can avoid this in Arcanum but half of the time you'll be exploiting how the TB system/AI works to achieve this).

The latest fan patches make it a surprisingly smooth experience. There's an entry on the game in the OP of the old school PC RPG thread with a link to an easy to install collection of all the best fan patches and rebalances, and another link to a quick, spoiler-free FAQ with all the basic info you could ever want about how the game mechanics and stats work. In less than an hour, you can literally go from never having heard about the game to having it fully patched and having a good idea of how to build the character you want in a way that won't be gimped. It's never been easier to play the game at its absolute best, and since it's also one of the newest isometric style games, it really is one of the best for a total newcomer to the genre to try.

If you want to discuss it in further detail, feel free to bring it up in that thread, too.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Shogunner posted:

similar to Diablo III

It's not going to be anything like Diablo III.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I like the idea of a Helldump location and would like to see what the designers come up with for the name (an actual dump with chimaeric horrors lurking within? a post-apocalyptic dive bar filled with bikers? a recycle shop with a one-eyed tough-as-nails proprietor? It's all good!).

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I like references better when they're less obvious. I'd get rid of the "Something Awful" line altogether. If everyone did a description exactly like that, we'd all be groaning at the various references to forums/people/etc. Like "Helldump", the people that understand the reference should have no problems getting it, and the people that don't shouldn't think it's anything but a genuine part of the game world.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Quarex posted:

I wish it were possible to edit in polls to see whether there is much interest in a Let's Play. Really the only options would be "yes omg!!!" or "yes, I would like you to do one, but freely admit that I will not actually watch and read it."

I still would like to see a Quarex Wasteland LP, and would read it. I just figured you were busy and further nagging you would only be annoying, but I see now that continuing to nag would have been the right course of action!

In all seriousness, if you decide to do it, hit me up for some tips.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I think the idiots who were bitching about it were either trolls or they just saw people donating money and immediately started frothing at the mouth and mashing their keyboard in opposition to the horrendous injustice. It was pretty clear they had no idea there was discussion about such a donation drive before AxeManiac ever made the donation in the first place, so they thought he just made a post out of the blue saying, "hey guys, I dropped $2500 on this game, now pay me back". Less than five minutes of looking at this thread would have corrected that perception, but things like logic and reason are beyond some people.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Shardok posted:

Are those numbers just pulled outta your rear end, or did you actually search through all your forum posts ever to find the Brian Fargo frequency? Heh.

You mean "Farquency".

e: gently caress, now you have to go back to the last page to see it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I like the shirt design/idea, too, but as much as I love hilarious goon names, I have no idea what use I could ever get out of a shirt that says things like "goat rear end" and "a big loving blunt".

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm just hoarding food, ammo, medical supplies, and vodka

So you mean to tell me that playing STALKER is like studying abroad?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Quarex posted:

Edit: Oh, and my computer managed to crash while I was typing some changes to my Let's Play test post. I have now learned the lesson to always type up offline documents in things you can save.

You have learned this lesson blissfully early. It's a blessing in disguise, really.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
:aaaaa:

Wow, I knew something was going to happen, but I didn't think it would be that, exactly. At least I can stop worrying about how creepy I sounded when, months ago, I suspiciously told Quarex to check his Wasteland 2 forum PMs.

(Was the guy who sent you the PM named Chris?)

Teim posted:

I can't think of someone who deserves it more than you! Tell Brian about your poster!

They already know about the poster. :shobon:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Quarex posted:

Seorin's mysterious avatar only begins to hint at the great mystery contained within.

(The person was, in fact, named Chris ... SEORIN IS IT YOU)

(Now I wonder if that person who sent me a random private message and deleted it before I read it, that I assumed was the message you were talking about, was just running interference for you, haha)

As awesome as being part of the Wasteland 2 team would be, sadly I am not Chris. He's the one that responded to my initial request on Kickstarter, so I figured he was probably the one that finally followed up on that.

Now I'm curious who this mystery benefactor was that ran interference for me, since I didn't tell anyone else about all this. The plot thickens!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Did he realize he was down the street from you when he claimed it? It sounds like there could be a story there.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Looks like they're asking us to vote on the default color options, using the screenshot from earlier to show the different versions: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2607

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I like 2 and the one Fwoderwick just posted (assuming the grammar gets cleaned up). I think using the word 'goon' in the others makes it sound really unnatural, especially compared to how well the rest of it matches the setting.

• Locked thread