Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I asked on the Kickstarter question thing if I could get a LP of Wasteland with Developer commentary, but my question has not been answered yet. Everyone should tweet Brian Fargo demanding he personally do a Wasteland LP with Developer commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Kharmakazy posted:

Where's the kickstarter for Arcanum 2... that's what I want to know. Gimmie.

I would donate a shitload to this.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

It's really screeching to a halt right before the last hurdle.

The graph on that one goon's website shows it holding a pretty steady pace. What makes you think it's screeching to a halt?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think I feel about Sir-Tech the way you do about Wasteland. Wizardry or Jagged Alliance from the original team would make me so happy.

There have been so many JA3 abortions since then, and v1.13 is so good. It's really hard to imagine a non-lovely sequel, I think I'm (along with most everyone else) just too traumatised to believe.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Tim Schafer started at Lucasarts (Lucasfilm games at the time) a little bit later.

If this hits 2 mil they should spring for full voice.

I will retract my pledge if they start talking about voice acting.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

thepopstalinist posted:

This is kind of OT but I wonder if Brian Mitsoda has considered a Kickstarter campaign for Dead State, his turn-based zombie apocalypse RPG. He announced it way back before Kickstarter was even a thing and it's basically a hobby of his with his wife at this point.

I guess the primary thing might be that they made the mistake of going into partnership with Iron Tower Studies, the RPG Codex-affiliated volunteer game dev company that's been toiling away for years and years and years on their Age of Decadence fantasy RPG. If I could give Mitsoda money without any of it going to those silly dickheads, I would.

Fewd posted:

I think the main complaint is just that it's taking them literally ages to get AoD out. As far as I understood, there should be a playable demo out any day now though, so we'll see. Maybe there's only a few more years to go!

The playable demo for AoD is meant to come out in the next few weeks. There were a few combat demos previously which were intended to test the combat (and I've put dozens of hours into those alone). `Vince' has a really clear vision of what he wants to do with RPGs and I think the ITS team have actually been doing very well. I don't think anyone on their team works full time (at least I'm pretty sure `Vince' doesn't), and there is no reason for them to hold to a timeline that they think will hurt the final product.

Also, AoD is in a very different situation to Dead State. AoD has monthly dev updates on the forums while Dead State has had no dev posts on their forums in months (years?) and zero recent media.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

pvax posted:

Well - that's it! 900k! Now to just keep it rolling for the Mac/Linux people. Made it before midnight as well - awesome

They also said if they make more money they will add more content which, despite being a Mac OS X user mostly, is more exciting for me.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

thepopstalinist posted:

Where you see "a really clear vision", I see "a massive shoulder-situated chip" (people who turn up their noses at David Gaider for his passive-aggressive relationship with his community must have never seen Vince). I guess it's cool on a certain level that Codex folk decided to back up their talk, so to speak, and make the laborious, dogmatic game they so detest the pros for having never made, but I would never support them, mostly because their game appears spergy and uninteresting to me (plus I just really loathe grimdark fantasy) and the Codex is really gross.

Disclaimer: about three years, or more, ago I used to think AoD was a joke and would never get finished. Plus I disliked the team and its followers. Following the development myself, off and on, has gradually softened my opinion of them. The combat demo was a big part of changing my mind.

I've read plenty of the retarded threads on the AoD forums and Vince seems very responsive and non-douchey. He has said over and over that the input from the beta testers and from everyone else is the most important thing, and that lots of his ideas or the team's ideas just plain suck and have been removed/re-tooled. Like every videogame it's going to have flaws but I reject that it's any moral failure of Vince and co. to want to make the game their way.

quote:

The focus on AoD is, again, why I wish Mitsoda had never gotten mixed up in that noise. I love the concept of a horror RPG and Dead State sounds like the Fallout to The Walking Dead's Wasteland (italics). I would love, love, love to see it made before the AoD problem. But reasonable people can disagree, naturally.

I am probably more excited for Dead State than AoD, but Mitsoda is totally off the radar and I have seen no signs that he's making progress. You seem to be speculating that this is the fault of ITS. Why do you think that's the case (earnest question, I have no idea what the real nature of the DoubleBear/ITS connection is)?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Randall posted:

InXile's track record is dampening any hopes I have of this project turning out to be a good game; a couple of simple ports of other games, a cancelled project, a few puzzle games for the iPhone/iPad, and a remake of an Atari 2600 game. Their only original projects, the Bard's Tale and Hunted, both got mediocre ratings.
I want this to be a good game but the chances seem pretty slim. :(

I'm with you, guy. What does Brian Fargo know about making WRPGs? This is amateur hour stuff.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Is the post-nuclear theme or the specific retro style what's most important to Fallout fans? I don't really know. I feel a lot more like FO1/2 emphasised the post-nuclear more and style less, compared to the FPS FO games. The only other principle difference is the hero versus party focus, but I don't see that being a sticking point for anyone?

e: also upped my pledge to $115 so I can wear that faction badge to work and show up all the scrubs here.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

signalnoise posted:

In FO1/2 being charismatic was a lot more interesting. About the style difference, really I think the main thing is that the new games took FO2's intro and ran with it a little too far. They could have just as easily matched the older games' tone by having less emphasis on oldies kitsch.

As far as principal differences, FO1/2 were much brighter, more lively games in general with regards to the visuals. FO3 and NV had annoying color filters over the entire screen for some reason.

Something FO3 really suffered from in my opinion was a lack of story happening within cities. FO2 had New Reno, NCR, the Den, Redding, Broken Hills, San Francisco, Vault City, and Gecko, all of which had quests for you to complete within the cities. FO3 was really bad about MMO-style quests to go out of town and do some dumb thing, FONV less so because of New Vegas itself, but both of them suffered from not enough genuine cities to do stuff in.

For that matter, the world itself was just much smaller in the FPS games. To contrast, they did pack the world a lot more densely with explorable areas, but they were too commonly some dungeon crawl exploration and less meaningful social interaction.

Personally what I'm hoping for as an old school Fallout fan is to have a lot of emphasis on social interaction and characterization. As a Wasteland fan, I just hope there are crazy robots and poo poo like that.

Agreed on just about everything (especially FO3/NV quests taking you to zany locations outside of the cities way, way too often). I should probably point out that in my original post I meant `differences' between FO1/2 and Wasteland, rather than FO1/2 and FO3/NV, though.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Randall posted:

Former co-worker chimes in on Brian Fargo:

More nuggets here: http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/wasteland-2-the-wastelandening.1350/.

Considering inXile's track record too, it's becoming clearer that this is a petty cash-grab simply playing on the nostalgia of old fans while the Kickstarter fire is still hot after Double Fine's recent success. :ughh:

Agreedo, and good use of the facepalm emote. How transparent can this clown Brian "The Brain" Fargo be in his money grubbing? Let's make another thread to get the word out.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

quakster posted:

While the realisation that Fargo isn't an infallible Man-God may be a bit of a bummer to people who want this game to be good, if anyone wants to actually discuss the shortcomings of this project (rather than just shitpost'n'run like some people seem to be doing), this thread would be the place to do it, and bitching about it because you liked the guy's older games is intellectually bankrupt.

People were discussing games like Hunted on previous pages, some people like them some people don't. No one bitched about those discussions being in this thread.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

A story exploring a total societal breakdown, that's not full of rape and violence and horror, sounds really contrived and silly. If the most obvious and direct consequences of society breaking down are not present, then why pick that as the central theme of your story?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

I have no problem with rape or child murder in a game (although there are people asking a little bit too loudly for it), if it is portrayed as an inherently bad thing.

The player character, however, should not be able to do these things, in my opinion.

For some reason I tend to agree with you (I never pimped myself/my wife, sold people into slavery, or did anything bad, really, in FO2), but I feel very `icky' arguing that the PC raping someone is worse than the PC murdering someone. It's pretty rare to find people on here arguing that there should be no murder in games.

The important thing is that the horrors of society breaking down are about 90% of the post-nuclear theme. If those bikers in Mad Max weren't (literal) rapists and child-killers then the story would have completely different. It would basically be The Blues Brothers from the perspective of the highway patrol.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Nebelwerfer posted:

Nah, he never said anything when I whacked those cretins with a nightstick across the face. Though I never killed them, just stomped them to the ground and picked my radiated gourds back. Child brutality(Ultra-violence in general) is kinda of an two-edged sword, I don't mind if it's in the game or not, but usually when I play game like that I play a character that has some sort of morality(except when you come for my gourds).

The exact same thing happens to me, and it's exactly the reaction you're meant to have. The horrific, dysfunctional wasteland is meant to elicit an urge to restore order and protect others. At least that's my impression of the Desert Rangers and Wasteland (and FO1).

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

General Emergency posted:

No, the quest was just getting her to talk to a therapist I think. Murdering the rapist was a part of another quest where you hunted down the leaders of this gang that was terrorizing the area.

If you killed Cook Cook first then it made convincing her to see the therapist easier, if I remember right. It at least was part of the speech tree where you convince her to see the therapist. Cook Cook was also a canibal and extremely prolific murderer.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I'd be more in favour of just extra content for every extra dollar. I even use Mac OS X about 90% of the time at home/work and I don't think they should waste money porting it to Mac OS X necessarily. Especially the linux port seems like a waste of time. How many exclusive linux gamers are there? I've never encountered one, even on the internet.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Fargo was quite vocal about wanting feedback and suggestions from fans, so this isn't the usual kickstarter situation.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

I can't imagine trying to have to sort out the good ideas from the entitlement[...]

This is a silly PR myth that somehow stuck in sycophantic `game journalism' and fanboy circles. No serious business reporters have bought into that nonsense (quite the contrary).

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Gay Mormon and his three husbands.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Not to mention that they won't be paying for voice actors or cut-scenes.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I wish Fargo would be clear about what their intentions are about VO then, he has also said they have noted the community don't want VO so they won't voice all the dialogue. If they are doing more than just an intro catch-phrase for NPCs then I'd rather take my money out and get drunk. Stop wasting everyone's money on VO and cut-scenes when everyone just reads the subtitles and skips your crap anyhow. If I wanted to listen to people read lines I could watch a movie (and they wouldn't be bugging out and lip-synching horribly while delivering the lines either).

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Xik posted:

I wonder if there will be a big jump when it hits 1.5. I imagine those that exclusively use a flavor of Linux or OS X will put in since they would then know it will definitely be getting ported. It's probably what I would do if I was in that situation, I mean, what would they do with a Windows binary of the game when they don't even own the OS? Especially considering the project is already funded so they will be guaranteed to be charged, even if they don't hit the mark for the port they want.

I don't think these people exist in any statistically interesting number.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The TB combat owns and the dialog/quest/CYOA stuff is more interesting and varied than most CRPGs out there. Also I think the game has less skills and stats than Arcanum does.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

These are your impressions of the AoD demo/beta, correct?

Oops. Yeah that's what I meant.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Masonity posted:

At 5 million inexile are actually going to set off a dirty bomb in a small desert town creating a genuine (albeit rather small) wasteland experience.

Where's my wasteland herpes Brian "Fargo"? Where's my wasteland herpes?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Nothing has been announced, but with today's technologies 3D's probably the more efficient route. Think of this way: Fallout was 2D but it was entirely composed of prerendered 3D images because of graphical limitations of computers of the era. Today, for the most part, it could look almost identical as a realtime 3D rendered game.

Every time I play an overhead-3D RPG I spend about 40% of my effort fighting the camera, I always lose track of which way north is, I miss objects behind walls, and moving long distances or exploring the map is tedious as hell. I get that if you want to use a modern engine then 3D is the only game in town, but I would like a fixed camera, without zoom, where all maps and encounters are play-tested strictly from the fixed perspective.

Like, compare the infinity engine games to NWN2 or JA2 to Silent Storm. They are all great games but the 3D ones fight you tooth and nail over the camera.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

God Of Paradise posted:

Mark Morgan was flat out lying about not knowing who Aphex Twin was.

His track City of Lost Angels is a song from Selected Ambient Vol 2 edited and filtered in an audio editor.

He did absolutely nothing in the creation of the song, he did not recreate the song through reverse engineering, nor did he cover the track. He loaded a waveform into an audio editor and hosed with the reverb fx and filters.

It's cool and all. It's the best song on the FO soundtrack, but at least he should admit to it.

This is quite a claim, do you have a source for it?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Even more reason to reject cinematics and VA in games.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

RagingBoner posted:

I wonder if the transitive property works here?

After all, I love Fallout and played the poo poo out of all of them, so do I also love cocaine?

That requires reflexivity as well (unless you're saying FO3 loves cocaine?).

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The rat says squee posted:

I love Fallout and cocaine, so I must love Matthew Perry. It's easy!

But does Matthew Perry love you?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

chairface posted:

He loves cocaine so he'll tell me he does if he wants any of this cocaine.

I've seen this episode of Friends!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Every voice actor sounds like Jerry Lewis doing the nutty professor in my video games. Except the ones without subtitles. I just uninstall those games.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

What's with the blood?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

RagingBoner posted:

What blood?

In my pee.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

This was probably brought up on previous pages but its weird to think there will be all these shrines and statues to donators in Wasteland 2 (nineteen by my count) just littered about or whatever.

Or maybe they'll shove them all in one hidden room somewhere.

It was brought up a bunch of times and it shouldn't be weird at all. If all of them sell (and everyone wants their statue) then there are 31 statues. Normal areas to put statues: parks, office buildings, museums, art galleries, military bases, libraries, memorials, town halls, schools, and universities. Just 31 statues across a large world isn't that many, plus no one will complain if they dump some/all of them in a quirky redundant area.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Just over half-way through the kickstarter, and they are at 1.858/2.1M. Feeling pretty confident.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Henry Scorpio posted:

I wonder what InExile's limits are, content wise, with respect to the in-game statues...

In all seriousness I imagine the limit will be "you have no creative control or say in your statue."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

New Chris Avellone interview at GameBanshee.

Interesting bit for people speculating about Onyx:

quote:

GB: Could Obsidian's Onyx engine handle a top-down/isometric perspective and a turn-based combat system like inXile is shooting for with Wasteland 2? If so, have you talked to Brian about the possibility of licensing your Onyx engine, if only to make it easier for you and the rest of the team at Obsidian to contribute content at a faster pace?

Chris: Sure. To be clear, the Onyx engine isn't being used for Wasteland 2 - that said, there's information and structure components we can share based on how we've constructed RPG mechanics (notably conversation systems and editors, for example) that Brian has expressed interest in and we'd be happy to provide metrics and layout suggestions for. All of the programming and coding is in inXile's hands, however, as our programmers and tools programmers are focused on our other titles.

• Locked thread