Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

That sounds pretty dull to me... and I'm a poli-sci kinda person...

Edit: VVV ok glad to know it wasn't just me VVV

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2012 around 02:50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

I know everyone has their own opinion on this, but I've always felt that solid gameplay ALWAYS trumps graphics. In fact, sometimes extra flashy graphics can adversely effect gameplay (busy visuals hiding what is truly important). There is a reason why tons of people still play nethack, or Castle of Winds, or Diablo, Fallout, or any number of older, visually mediocre titles (by today's standards, at least).

That's why I'm glad to hear they are going with the isometric view. Gameplay should inform interface, not the other way around. Also (biasedly), when I think about titles that have aged poorly, they are almost all early 3D titles that just look and play clunkily. Iso view can be done more cost effectively, is better tactically, and has a fun, nostalgic value to it (but not in a "this is why this gameplay format died out" kind of way, unlike the fixed-camera, pre-rendered environments of the early Resident Evils, which I find to be unplayable now). I am pretty sure that everyone who likes modern RPG's can support a pretty, modern, HD resolutioned, well-playing isometric sprite-based RPG.

Also, the only "modern" iso view "game" I can think of is Sims 3... but it's not sprite based... What was the last major sprite based game?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Kharmakazy posted:

I guess that depends on how you define major.

Widespread console or PC release (not handheld), fairly well known publisher. It had to be almost 6-7 years ago now? Maybe even longer? I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Kharmakazy posted:

Disgaea 4 09/06/11. NIS is fairly well known.

Just looked up a gameplay video to see, and wow that game is GORGEOUS. I think there are some 3D particle effects going on for explosions and some random glowy doo-dads that may also be 3D rendering, but otherwise, modern sprites can be quite stunning. I wonder what you could do with a more realistic, less "cartooney" art style?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Lurdiak posted:

Lose money and have an uglier game.

E: I'm sorry that might be a bit TOO flippant. The cartoony style is part of why the're able to make sprites look so good and colorful. I don't think the artistic skills of exaggerated cartoony anime stuff would transfer well to something more photorealistic. It'd likely end up just having less personality. At the very least it'd need to be more about the overall visual atmosphere than any individual character. It'd also be met with fury from fans of the company, in the same way that Fallout turning into an FPS enraged thousands.

I didn't really mean "photo-realistic" per se, I really meant "not anime". Basically Fallout 2 with HD textures and graphics.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Kicked in my $50, should have some money by the time this thing is set to be funded.

All of you complaining about being broke, as long as you have the money by the time the project is to be funded (April 17th), then all will be ok, as it doesn't charge your account until that time.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Yahoo! is taking notice of Kickstarter as a funding platform, if in a rather crappy way:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...-184034258.html

Edit: dude looks a little Downs'ey, or is it me?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You're a multi-millionaire. What the hell do you need other people's money for?

All I can guess is it is some sort of interest check, which will (obviously) fail.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Real bros fund the whole project themselves.

I know! Let's start a kickstarter to help me donate $10,000 so I can go to that party!

Only you can make it happen!

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2012 around 01:41

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

I have to wonder what Brian Fargo's expectations were with this... I guess you never know with these sorts of things, but surely he couldn't have expected this sort of rapid funding growth? Hell, I've never played Wasteland, but I love the setting and the genre, and that alone was enough to gain my support. I have to wonder how many people who have never even played Wasteland have donated?

The demographics of the donators would be fascinating... Kickstarter should implement mini-polls to those who donate, so those of us who have already backed a project can pour over who is donating and why.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

You want a new avatar? Pick one and it's your's: http://www.ailis.de/~k/apps/wlanims/

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Who likes graphs?!? YOU DO, YOU DO!!!

Wish that kickstarter had this kind of stuff built in... there's probably some super complicated way () of hosting the spreadsheet I made in 10 minutes, having it update once an hour, and letting people see the change in donations over time.

Edit: I'm guessing that the $107,000 in "unrewarded donations" are mostly the result of overseas folks pledging their extra $15 for international shipping. That makes ~7100 overseas buyers...? That can't be right.

Their must be some very large unrewarded donations.

Quarex posted:

I would also just like to make it clear that is still one of my favorite animated pictures ever.

I would like to remind everyone that (through my own idiocy) I was mostly responsible for . I didn't make it, oh no, I made the (poorly thought out) thread to try and make the 2008 smilie. And was made to make fun of that effort.

My legacy is that of a truly stupid man.

Edit 2: FWIW, these were my 2 ideas:

and

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2012 around 10:23

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Went back through and retabulated my numbers, and there are currently 195 completely unrewarded donors, and $68,982 in completely unrewarded donations, which accounts for around 5% of all donations.

If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet I'm using, just let me know, I've got it to where you just fill in the number of backers at each level and it does the rest.

Edit: Just to clarify, the 195 unrewarded donators are the difference between what kickstarter shows as the total number of backers (at the top of the website) and the total of backers from each tier, and it's the same for the $68,982 in unrewarded donations: the difference between what kickstarter shows as the total at the top of the website and the total of donations from each tier.

Edit 2: To finalize this post as a summation of statistics, here's a bunch of other graphs: http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at Mar 21, 2012 around 06:52

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Scut posted:

Thanks! Are there any economists in the thread? I wonder if there are enough kickstarter projects completed that someone like Freakonomics could delve into the numbers and glean some interesting facts.

This also has me thinking that kickstarter is a treasure trove of marketing data. Whether that's ultimately good or bad I suppose depends on who is using the data. You have thousands of people putting real money down on speculation and incentives.

I posted about this earlier, but I thought it would be nice if you could ask people to take a quick exit poll after they donate, because the info gleaned from that could help future projects.

And Fintilgin, I'll do a test donation to see if it warns you about not picking a reward.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Fintilgin posted:

I suspect there's a non-zero chance that there are a lot of people who didn't realize they have to manually pick a tier, and just donated thinking that if they put 50$ in the box they automatically got the 50$ reward.

Does it warn you if you don't pick something?

It says "Please select a reward" if you don't choose a reward.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

ruro posted:

I think most of it is international shipping costs. E.g.: I had to donate $165 for the $150 reward.

$69,000 divided by $15 is 4600 people, which would assume the majority of backers getting things with shipping required (8,726 people) are overseas users.

I would guess (based on very little info, granted) about 1/4 or less are overseas backers, the rest are some genrous users kicking in an extra $10 here and there, and maybe a few large dollar donations.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

TOOT BOOT posted:

Depends on what you mean by 'Fallout quality'

If you mean the writing and atmosphere, absolutely. The graphics and sound in Fallout were never that good.

uhhh, I always thought the graphics and sound were pretty darn good considering the limitations of the time.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of that Tex Murphy game. The development studio has a rather terrible history.

That studio has made NOTHING I have heard of.

Fake edit: That's because they are all crappy "hidden object" "games".

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Chiming in on my dislike of VO. I read faster than it is spoken, and 90% of the time I play with the volume turned down any way.

Also, there is nothing more irritating than the voice actor flubbing a line of dialogue and it staying in anyway (this happened numerous times in FO:NV, especially with the child actors).

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Looking at current donation trends (which will probably hold true until the last couple days, which will likely see a rush of last minute donators), this will cross 1.5 million around noon eastern on the 22nd, and will end up somewhere around 1.8 million in total.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Statshot for 3/21:

Donations are petering out at a logarithmic rate. But don't worry! If this trend holds true, we'll still hit 1.5 million in the next couple of days. Anything after that is just making its own gravy, so yay!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

^^^That is very very good news.

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

Well something happened around 3pm EDT this afternoon. Donations peaked to around $4.5k that hour. Tycho's post on PA has been up since midnight, and there's been a thread on their forums since the beginning. Maybe someone else is plugging it?

Also, to the people asking, I get the graphs from that website, and I fill out that spreadsheet I use for pie charts manually. If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet, just let me know.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at Mar 22, 2012 around 00:35

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Arzy posted:

Wow this thing has mega stalled under $1.5m. I barely see it moving anymore.

If you'll look at my previous couple of posts, you'll see that it has had steady, constant growth of about 50k/day for the past few days. In fact, more has been raised so far today than all of yesterday.

Steady growth > intermittent, unpredictable growth. It shows a strong general interest in the project.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

Aw, I came here to post the PayPal thing. I am glad someone beat me to it though!

It has seemed to be doing fine to me, which I guess is confirmed by RagingBoner's statistical analysis. Three words I did not ever imagine I would use in sequence.

Speaking of ... oh no, the PayPal numbers are not going to be automatically added to the Kickstarter numbers, so you will need a separate area on your spreadsheet!!!

I'll do it if the numbers from Paypal get higher. Which I'm sure they will.

It might be a good idea for them to put the info about the Paypal system in the kickstarter FAQ, but kickstarter may have some rule against that.

Also, I really hope they contacted Paypal about doing this before hand, because I think we all remember what a lovely company Paypal is for donation drives.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Statshot for 3/22:

We are up just under 50k from a little more than 24hrs ago. We should (as I predicted!) hit 1.5 mil around noon CST today.

Azraelle posted:

I wouldn't mind a copy, if you like, you can send a copy to: merspamtack (at) gmail (dot) com

Sent.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

I meant this thing would crack 1.5 million at noon, Chinese Standard Time (CST). So I was right.

Stats!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Looking good!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Rebel Blob posted:

That was the RPG Codex's combined contribution getting sent in. They were only trying to raise $5,000 at first for an in-game statue, but the collection was so successful they doubled it and are going to send someone to the party.

That's what I figured it was. All the big money names who would donate to this have surely heard about it and done so by now, right?

Anywho, statshot:

If not for that $10k donation just now, the average donation would be very close to slipping under $50. No love for the boxed copy, I guess.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

The rat says squee posted:

Matthew Perry is a huge Fallout fan, and was on the Ellen DeGeneres show talking about playing Fallout so much he hurt his hand.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/14/h...-fallout-new-v/

I wonder if the transitive property works here?

After all, I love Fallout and played the poo poo out of all of them, so do I also love cocaine?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Seashell Salesman posted:

That requires reflexivity as well (unless you're saying FO3 loves cocaine?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oEg...feature=related

It certainly loves LSD.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

For all the tons and tons of money spent on voice acting, is there a contingent of people out there clamoring for voice acting?

That is to say, plenty of people basically say they can take it or leave it, but I've never heard anyone except publishers demand MORE voice acting. 80% of the time I find it ignorable, 10% of the time it is distractingly bad (Danny Trejo in FO:NV just sounds SO disinterested in his lines), and only 10% of the time does it add anything at all to the experience.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

Looks like excitement is already waning.

Edit: Upped my pledge to $100. Hope JSawyer gets involved.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Xik posted:

Back on topic though I guess, has anyone been keeping track of number of backers? I'm pretty curious about if the announcement to bring in Obsidian brought in a huge batch of new backers or if it was mostly just existing backers increasing their pledged amount.

Data seems to show that it is new people, as the average donation has actually gone down from a few days ago:

Also, the donation amount spiked again during the night:

(red finger tells you where to look you dummy)

So apparently word is spreading... again.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

evilmiera posted:

Predicting a final big spike the day after, with slowdown for a week or so until people scrounge up the cash they've been unable/unwilling to gather so far. And of course a Last Day Pledge spike. Should be enough to hit 2.1

If things immediately snap back to a "normal) (read: non-Obsidian influenced) pattern, this project will crack 2.1 million around noon on the 7th, 10 days before the finale.

It's basically guaranteed at this point Obsidian will be on board when we are all said and done.

Edit: Hey you

Category Fun! posted:

At the rate it's advancing there's no need to be worried about not making the target. Since the announcement yesterday it's gone up by around 150k. At that rate it could be done in two days.

Split the difference between our predictions; the truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

See look, I'm not lying (the green arch is my prediction based on previous activity):

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

The past 24 hours or so, the baseline of donations has been triple what the the previous several days' donations were. Wonder how long that will hold up?

Added a new section to my chart, based on the assumption that the average Kickstarter donation (if the upper tiers are removed, as with the Paypal) is around $40.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

What's with the blood?

What blood?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

In my pee.
Wasteland 2: Obsidian turns your pee into a thin red paste

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Last hour was absolutely LOUSY, someone pulled a $500 pledge so there was barely any growth. Things are definitely petering off the Obsidian bump, too:

Here is the current chart:

Here is the new, updated projection graph:

Looks more like midnight of the 10th to get to 2.1 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

notZaar posted:

Didn't your statistics teacher ever warn you of the dangers of extrapolation?

I can bet all I want with the house's money.

«9 »