Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Saoshyant posted:

I've been actually curious about this little bit on the update email:

Could they be talking about using the Onyx engine created by Obsidian? It seems like it would be a good fit, actually. The engine was created to load a bunch of stuff in the background as you move from area to area. The 3D would allow them to have far more character models and animations than sprite work would. In theory it would be a great idea.
That's a good bet. Earlier in the thread:

rope kid posted:

Onyx is a complete engine and set of tools. It's not a do-anything engine, but it's good for the sort of games we make (which is why we made it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Orange Devil posted:

I hate the engine, especially the way the combat feels and couldn't get more than 30 minutes into it.

Did you like FO3, and if so, why FO3 and not FO:NV?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Teim posted:

You sure gave them a decent chance!

To be fair, the Fallout series isn't known for goofy settings or unrealistic interactions.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
FO3 does have one thing I like more than FO:NV, and that's the location exploration. There's just all sorts of nooks and crannies with neat junk and weird little side stories in FO3, where as NV is just more sparse.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Who, exactly, do they eat? Who's wandering around the wastes? Why haven't they been attacked by raiders?

The location by itself isn't internally contradictory, it just doesn't make sense as part of a wider world - ala having a town full of children next to a town of slavers.

That was FO3, though: NOTHING was connected on a world level. Layout made no sense, and everything was an island unto itself. BUT! There were a poo poo load of islands to explore, which, again, is its strongest point VS. FO:NV. If i had to guess, it probably has more to do with budget and time constraints placed on Obsidian that were not present with Bethesda's developers.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Rebel Blob posted:

Is the $4,000 drop at noon something different, or did you mean someone pulled a $5,000 pledge? Looks like that killed several hours worth of growth, three hours later and the Kickstarter isn't back up to the amount before the withdraw.

No, that $5k withdrawal hadn't happened as of when I wrote that post, it was just a $500 withdrawal that screwed up the 8 AM hour. The $5k withdrawal at Noon was remedied in about 3 hours, so at least the positive growth trend of ~1.5K an hour during the day is staying strong.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I didn't know Detroit was hit with a nuclear holocaust. This might impede vegetative growth. (<-- is that a term?)

Only if the blasts blew away all the topsoil. Take for instance, the blasts in Hiroshima and Nagasaki:

US Strategic Bombing Survey posted:

The radiation apparently had no lasting effects on the soil or vegetation: Seeds later planted within a few hundred feet of ground zero grew normally. Examination of subsurface soil in the immediate area showed presence of earthworms and other life only a few inches below the surface.
I realize that FO3 DC was hit WAY harder than WWII Japan, but as far as we know, nuclear blasts (especially air bursts) have essentially no effect on plant growth. In fact, it could even be beneficial by killing off old growth and promoting new growth.

Edit: Beaten, but not as hard. As an addendum, you could argue that nuclear winter would severely damage plant life, but as soon the sun came back out (as long as there is some atmosphere left), plants will thrive in the gentle, radioactive rains.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 2, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Meanwhile, I totally wanna donate to this kickstarter but I'm too poor right now. Hopefully I can scrounge up an extra $15 this week!

You don't get charged a dime until April 17th. Donate now, get money later.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
The average donation continues to slowly get smaller.

Also, MORE GRAPHS!!!
(I can't be arsed to clean up that crap at the top of the second graph.)

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 3, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I'm bored. I made this:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
BTW, new conjecture shows that without any more major bumps or slumps, we are looking at midnight of the 12th to hit 2.1 million.

My guesses keep getting further out... :(

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Just made a facebook post, tagging my nerdy friends hoping they will kick some money in.

quote:

Attention video game players: if you enjoy quality RPG's with interesting settings, like Fallout 1, 2, & New Vegas, Planescape, Icewind Dale, Star Wars: KOTOR 2, and Arcanum, please support Wasteland 2 via Kickstarter. For a $15 minimum investment, you will receive what will most likely be an AMAZING game, made by what is essentially the Western RPG dream team of Chris Avellone, Brian Fargo, Tim Cain, Jason Anderson, and many others (who all worked on the games I just listed). Developers are currently held captive by publishers, getting little to no compensation for how successful their games are.
Help fund good games, receive more good games.
I realize this project has already reached its funding goal, but the more money they get, the bigger and more fleshed out the world will be. Also, this is the cheapest you will be able to buy this game, and believe me, you WILL want to buy it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Any changes anyone would make to this?

Edit: added suggested changes.
:siren: EVERYONE POST THIS TO YOUR FACEBOOK AND TAG YOUR VIDEO GAME FRIENDS :siren:

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 3, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

USMC_Karl posted:

Same here. Actually considering taking the $265 (intl shipping) dive and becoming a true investor. I'm sure this is a stupid, stupid question, but is there some kind of system in place for updating your shipping address as time goes by? I'll be moving sometime in the next year and would like to be assured that I'll get my super premium boxed set if I do go for the $250 reward. I should go for it, right?

From the other kickstarters I have supported, shipping info isn't collected until near the shipping date. So you should be fine. If you're still concerned, I would list your parents' address (or someone you trust that you know won't be moving).

Edit: My first quote ≠ edit. :smith:

Edit 2: My prediction graph, with a final total of 2.6 million. Any other predictions?

VVV Good idea, added.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 3, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

randombattle posted:

If we are to the crazy predicition part count me in.

My prediction (based on all my years of skills in animal handling and veterinary medicine) is that this will end up well over 3 million. I think they will earn well over a million in the next two weeks probably around 300-500k on the final day.

Hey, you know, you're right:

That is a crazy prediction.

In all seriousness, if this thing breaks 2.8 million with time left, I will be floored. It really has to have reached almost everyone who would be interested in this by now.

Edit: Someone with an account go spam the Fallout boards on GameFAQs with this. I don't see any threads about it there. Untapped resources!! DRILL BABY DRILL!!!

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 3, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

:words:

Hey, you think my facebook begging post could go in the OP, along with a link to the Paypal and the graph website?

quote:

Attention video game players: if you enjoy quality RPG's with interesting settings, like Fallout 1, 2, & New Vegas, Planescape, Icewind Dale, Star Wars: KOTOR 2, and Arcanum, please support Wasteland 2 via Kickstarter. For a $15 minimum investment, you will receive what will most likely be an AMAZING game, made by what is essentially the Western RPG dream team of Chris Avellone, Brian Fargo, Tim Cain, Jason Anderson, and many others (who all worked on the games I just listed). Developers are currently held captive by publishers, getting little to no compensation for how successful their games are.
Help fund good games, receive more good games.
I realize this project has already reached its funding goal, but the more money they get, the bigger and more fleshed out the world will be. Also, this is the cheapest you will be able to buy this game, and believe me, you WILL want to buy it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Feel free to edit that how you see fit if you do include it.

Paypal site: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge.php
Graph site: http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

HOW DARE YOU :words: ME?!?! Sure, let me toss that thang up in hya.

Now how 'bout a pitcha for da papuhs!... And what is your prediction for the final total?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Goddamnit. Now I'm going to have to re-work my spreadsheet.

Good new otherwise, though. I foresee very few takers of this new $2000 level. At least until the $1000 and $2500 level run out, which I doubt will happen (but hey, I've been surprised before).

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Stats:

Anecdotally, this is trending to hit 2.1 million on the morning of the 10th now, and unless there is some OUTRAGEOUS increase in donations at the end, this simply will not make 3 million. 2.8 is in the extreme end of where I think this will end up, but it will more likely be around 2.6.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

VisAbsoluta posted:

To be honest, I don't care much about the mod tools, but hitting 2.5m so we get more game content, music and art would be brilliant.

Should reach it with no problem, here is a prediction graph:

If there is any meaningful end bump, it should put it above 2.5 easily.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In regards to Quarex's excitement, I don't see it as odd whatsoever (and yes, I realize none of you do either). I'd have to say that if Nintendo said 'Remember Mario 3? The next Mario game will be more of that. Just more 2D side-scrolling/frog-hopping/Tanooki-statuing/hammer-throwing/whistle-blowing/sun-fearing/airship-riding/world-beating/secret-finding/chainchomp-avoiding/koopakid-pouncing goodness, I'd end up a forums superstar from that one thread. SMB3 is, simply put, my favourite loving game of all-time.

Keep on keepin' on, Quarex. And, when this DOES come out, you'd better get honourary first-dibs on a Let's Play of it.

I can think of no one more suited.

No gently caress you I take my NES to bars and play SMB3 on their corner TV's with my friends... Not kidding. SMB3 is MY game.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guess we'll have to battle this out in a no-holds-barred SMB3 versus match :clint:

How would this be decided? Sure, you can whistle your way to the end and be done in 20 minutes, but my favorite parts of the game are getting all the little secret things in the stages, like this junk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0pWoqtqm4&feature=related

The winner should be whoever has the best time, and it will most likely be a tie. :)

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Significant bump in pledges today, I wonder if that Cracked article has anything to do with it?

Edit: We are about $25k shy of $2.1m.

Should someone make a banner ad and slap it around the forums, or do you think the sticky has gotten most everyone who would care by now?

Edit 2: In the time it took me to edit my post, we are now only 20K shy.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 6, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Seashell Salesman posted:

RagingBoner, does this mean we are ahead of your projection?

*shuffles, straightens papers on desk*

We are ahead of the game by a LONG shot, the Cracked article, the new donation tiers, and free FO1 on GoG all helped contribute to the best day since the Obsidian bump on Saturday, and the fourth best day over all.

An unexpected development to be sure, stay tuned for further developments.

(when I get home I'll do some more graphical analysis, and post a new prediction graph)

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
To whoever was asking earlier about how I pull my data and make my chart, I just use the spreadsheet I built (which I am reworking now, thank a lot new donation tiers...) and plug in the numbers from the kickstarter page. I'm on a Windows PC, and I don't know of an easy way to make a script that pulls the numbers and compiles them for me, so I just brute force it. Takes about 5 minutes each time, not too bad, really.

So, no, I don't know how many of these donators are first timers, or what else they'v done, or anything like that. I just look at the raw totals.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Updated Chart:

I was going to do a new prediction graph, but instead, I'll say that this project is averaging a little bit more than $90k per day, but that includes initial donation money mania and the Obsidian bump. A prediction graph of $90k a day would look like this:

Now, when there are no major changes or announcements, we average about $30k per day, which would look like this:

Neither of these graphs have the expected "final days" bump at the end, and do not suppose that the current bump caused by publicity and tier changes will hold out much longer (if they do, then both graphs would be slightly steeper). Also, neither includes paypal at all.

So there you have it. At worst, around 2.4 million. At best, around 3 million (plus bump). I'll be interested to see where we end up!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Francois Kofko posted:

Can you get me the data per day? Like, just the number of dollars the kickstarter earned per day up until this morning at 6:30/7AM.

Here ya go. That's per hour, do your own maths.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
If we wouldn't all lose our own copies of the game, I was about to suggest everyone here remove their pledges, and then combine them so we could buy a statue of Johnny Five Aces. Or an irradiated house that only has a set of stairs that lead nowhere.

Yes, I have stairs in my house. AND THAT'S IT. :colbert:

Edit: just to be be clear, these were joke ideas, as Internet Memes are the Worst Jokes.tm

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 7, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
While drunk last night I almost upped my pledge to $250, only to remember that level was sold out.

Why won't you take my money, Brian Fargo?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

kemppapappa posted:

There's one $250 slot available again. Probably not for long.

My sobriety tells me this is a bad idea. What the hell would I do with a level 1 Ranger medal anyway? I don't carry a bag, and I already have a homemade belt buckle made out of the skull of a man who wronged me.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I forgot to change the date on this, it should be 11:30 AM CST, 4/8/2012

On track to do at least 2.5 million now. Probably going to be more, though.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I'll just keep plugging away, refining my prediction as the days go on.
(click for biggie size)

Anywhere between 2.6 and 2.8 million. When this thing launched, it did 500k in a 24 hour span, so who knows what kind of last day surge it could have? I personally bet (an apparently conservative) $250k bump, but if it is significantly more than that, and is close to touching 3 million, there might be a pledge increasing drive to hit that magical $3,000,000 mark.

Crowd funding sure is interesting, and this project's news releases were handled brilliantly. Space out the release of info, when there is a lull, make a new announcement or add a new tier to boost excitement. The only missteps were the second video (ugh) and the still completely unappealing $2,000 level.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 9, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I made a desktop with the newer image:
(click for big)

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

The rat says squee posted:

No worries, and I don't anyone really does care over individual amounts. I didn't want to assume an unrealistic minimum amount, so I went with the minimum to get the game. The total did surprise me though. I didn't think many people even remembered Wasteland, let alone would donate for a sequel.

New approximate total: 15419. It's most likely even higher. But I wanted Quarex to get a little encouragement with all the cheerleading he's doing.

Man, this is a set of data I'd LOVE to have... If you saved it digitally, can I have a copy of it? sideshowcody @ yahoo . com

If not, don't worry. I will also humbly ask anyone who hasn't said so, please post your donation amounts so we can tally this up and wave our epeens all over the wasteland.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Did Quarex ever specifically say how much he gave?

Edit: Why did a crap game like Duke Nukem Forever get a group tag but this gets nothing? If I could buy something to do it, I would. Tell me what to do, mods, I'll do all the legwork.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 9, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Well, nuts to buying THAT much stuff. I made this anyway:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

Edit: Oh, looks like they are stealing RagingBoner's thunder.

I was going to do something like that, have the Wasteland 2 words in front of the badge, but the yellows and oranges got all muddied and looked awful. The red logo looks cool, but they washed out the whole left side of the image... Wonder why?

Also, found this picture of Quarex with his face tattoo:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

AxeManiac posted:

No, this would be like "Donate to the SA Grenade" or whatever we pick and we gather the amount, 2.5K I think for personal items, then we would make the purchase for the site with the money as one BONUS transaction to raise even more money for the game and do something for the site and get SA into the game.

Whatever goodies it comes with, we would raffle away to goons who donated.

What is a good way to pool money without losing it to fees and poo poo?

I'll start off on the "Get SA into Wasteland 2" project with $250, but we need to form a fully realized idea and goal before we start throwing around money.

What method did RPG Codex and NMA use?

I'd donate for a SA Grenade, or maybe putting Lowtax in. $2,500 seems an attainable goal, if everyone kicks in a little bit.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

HondaCivet posted:

This is a very good idea that I would chip in towards but the Kickstarter ends in a week. Is that enough time to plan it all out and then get the word out on the forums?

I was just thinking this: it may be too late to get there in time.

I added some more crap to my chart:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

AxeManiac posted:

Dumping money, time and creativity into getting this into the game will be much better than kicking around gang tags.

Here is the plan, I could front the 2,500 and then people can paypal/mail me donations, that sound good? We can put our favorite item into SA, I'll give away the bonus materials, boxed copy and digital copies (Can I make two different kickstarter donations without canceling my original $100 donation?)

If I don't get at least half the amount raised back in donations, I'll return the money to everyone and put myself into the game, hopefully naked and aroused. So, donate money if you don't want me to ruin your game, and donate money to get SA into Wasteland 2.

I don't know if I want to do this however, because drat, that would be a lot of money if nobody is interested.

I say make sure you can get a front page article up tomorrow or today, get you ideas together on what you want in the game (it should probably be your ultimate choice), and $2,500 should head your way in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Considering we get both a collectible AND a NPC/Location/Weapon, do you only get to choose what the story of your collectible will be, or do you also get to choose what your NPC/location/weapon will be?

• Locked thread