Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

MrMidnight posted:

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking. Is there a reason why you waited so long?

25, and no significant dental insurance until last year meant I couldn't afford to get anything more than a cleaning done ever.

But hey, better late than never!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Alright guys, I think I've got all my poo poo together, so I just have to print these addresses off and mail them out, and we'll be sitting pretty.

Sorry it took forever.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Overemotional Robot posted:

Did Raging Boner die? I never got that drat belt buckle I paid for :(

I'm just a piece of crap who can't plan things out well. I wanted to wait until after x-mas to ship these out, then I ran out of excuses. I get paid next Thursday. Hand to God, I will have them mailed out on the following Tuesday.

I am the worst procrastinator, and frankly it was a miracle I got the shirts mailed out in a reasonable amount of time. If anyone wants a refund, they know how to reach me.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Young Freud posted:

Any extras? :q:

I wish I could... But the only thing I have to readily give away can't be shipped through the mail.

But if you are ever in Arkansas for some awful reason, you can have a place to stay and all the homebrew beer you want.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Overemotional Robot posted:

I understand how it is. It's easy to get bogged down with procrastination. To be honest I had forgotten about it until I looked through my email and saw the PayPal receipts and was like HEY WAIT A DANG MINUTE.

I'd still like the buckle if you have them.

They are sitting in a box in my closet, with their labels affixed and ready to be mailed. So yes, I still have them.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

draper13 posted:

Don't forget RagingBoner: break a deal, face the wheel.

Uh oh.

http://planettom.home.mindspring.com/thunderdomewheel/

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Holy crap. I hate to get my hopes up for a game that isn't really even close to being done yet, but that video... Holy crap.

AxeManiac posted:

Mailing stuff is the worst. I like making things, but finding a way to mail them, then going to the post office during working hours, ugh. Hope everything gets sorted out, everyone around here is pretty trusting and based on how you have been doing a good job and I doubt a handful of belt buckles is enough to run away forever and live like a king, it should work out.

Did inXile ever get back to you about the backer prizes? Or do they still only have that "rough idea" message we sent to them in response to their email?

And it turns out the faux gold belt buckles looked real enough to trick a group of pirates into following me as their captain, so as soon as I get off this boat, they will be mailed out.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 9, 2013

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

Yeah, I doubt every shopkeeper in the game is going to have a complex backstory that will enable you to either get cheaper prices or have a ridiculous mark-up because you are wearing the wrong faction armor/talked to an estranged sibling/typed in the third word under the heading "character creation" on page 12 of the manual.

But imagine if they did... Replay value would be insane.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Brother None posted:

Indeed, not every shopkeeper or minor NPC.

But the focus on reactive writing and lack of investment in voice acting does allow us to do things that would be unthinkable for other projects. It's ambitious, but at our scope and with our specific focuses and prioritizing, it's very doable, and this kind of re-activity is something you'll find time and time again throughout the game. It's why the script is so bloody thick, haha.

Hah. 't is fully intentional. Badly educated raiders will speak like badly educated raiders, faulty English and all.

I do believe the honey badger will be in the game. And it won't give a poo poo.

PS: oh should introduce myself here too. Thomas Beekers, inXile line producer, joining up with SA! Hi!

Also, do you have any idea when the in-game rewards will get more fleshed out? As far as I know, all that we have been able to send in was just that cursory reward questionnaire, nothing more extensive has been sent out since.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Brother None posted:

Ah. Well not to worry, double-checking these high tiers is the first thing I'm getting to (mostly because there's less cases to deal with) and if I find I'm lacking information or something isn't filled in right, I'll contact the pledger to follow up for more info. You can also PM me here, of course, but note right now I'm still a little bit in organizing/setting up stage on this stuff so I might not be able to instantly help.

Indeed, I was speaking about our group contribution of ~$2,900 reward. All we have sent in so far was the following:

AxeManiac posted:

Weapon - Toxx Claws http://i.imgur.com/yAYq8.png
Artifact - SA-44 Grenade "A defective surplus US military grenade. A small paper tag hanging from the pin simply says, 'Pulling here makes your wildest dreams come true.'"

Which, I guess upon re-examining it is probably sufficient. But from the amount we all talked about and debated what we would submit, I'm probably more invested in it than I should be.

Does our submitted description look good enough to you? Basically the only thing I would add is that the grenade is based off the SA grenade logo, and the Toxx Claws could maybe do some kind of persistent poison damage (if that is an attribute that is in the game's combat system).

Edit: I went back and found our big-assed collection of write-ups on our grenade ideas, but I think I like the really short description better. Here is a link to that post if you are interested.

Edit 2: I plan on (finally) going to the post office tomorrow, so all you belt buckle buyers can chill out and get off my case (actually, everyone has been way more patient than they should have been, and I love you all).

Edit 3: Holy poo poo looking back, that Toxx Claws image is just perfect. There was so much effort put into this whole thing from our side, it just blows me away. :goonswoon:

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 26, 2013

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I don't know, AxeManiac, did you register on the Ranger Center yet?

Just got done at the post office, and HOLY poo poo did international shipping go way up. It has pretty much doubled from last year. I won't ask for more money, I just want you to know that I'm getting my comeuppance for waiting so long.

I have other, more unfortunate news. Apparently while getting your addresses all together, I doubled up on one person and missed another completely... Only I have no idea who I skipped. So, I have one buckle that I don't know where to send it to. I say we'll give it two weeks, and if you haven't gotten your buckle, let me know and I'll ship it to you ASAP.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

The MSJ posted:

Remind me again what us goons have put into Wasteland 2? Is the Axemaniac drive a separate thing or is that our official forum submission?

That AxeManiac drive is what got us our "official" submission. See my post at the top of the page for what we submitted.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Fewd posted:

Boner was keeping a spreadsheet of reported goon donations back then but dunno where it is :effort:

I think it ended up at bit over $45k or something.

It's the second post of the thread, but here you go:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

DieLaughing posted:

The belt buckles I ordered arrived, they look great!
As I so eloquently told Quarex earlier, "pics plz."

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

:derp:

Too cool... But if you are a Minuteman, please don't tell anyone where you got that buckle after you inevitably shoot some poor Mexican guy.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
So, Anyone not get the buckles they paid for yet?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

draper13 posted:

Not yet, but I live on the other side of the planet, so I'll give it some time.

I definitely sent you your buckle, so hopefully it will get there soon.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Peas and Rice posted:

Are there any extras laying around? I was out of touch with the internetz when they were made and didn't get in on the awesome.

Funnily enough, there is one left, but that's because I lost the shipping info on what person bought it. So it's been paid for, but I can't figure out by whom.

We'll give it a month or so for that person to speak up, and then I'll sell it to you.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Tufty posted:

So somebody has paid you for it, and if they don't claim it in a month you'll keep their money and sell it on to somebody else? :/ Can't you work out who hasn't been sent theirs in any way?

Might be worth emailing everybody who bought one asking them if they get theirs rather than just posting here.

I will. In fact, I'm very hesitant to sell it at all for this very reason.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

draper13 posted:

LOOK WHAT ARRIVED IN THE POST TODAY:

Seen here with a fully repaired toaster (because I don't have anything cool like a rifle to attach it to):

RagingBoner, you're a loving champ for making this happen.

And it only took me a little less than a year to get off my rear end and send them!

Glad you like it!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Wasteland 3: American Job-scape

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
In game related news, here is a good interview with Chris Keenan about the process so far. No real revelations, but it's still a good read.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

A couple of months ago, someone I had just met noticed "GOON" on my Wasteland 2 Goons shirt, and we had a Forums Moment. I forgot to mention it at the time. And tonight I was at a house party, and someone was like "wait a minute, a Wasteland 2 shirt? Like, Wasteland 2 Wasteland 2?" and we had a delightful ~15-minute conversation about the game and the Kickstarter and tracking down the original cover art and how you can totally kill me in the sequel and such.

I mean, when R4B0 had these shirts made, I did have a vague dream that wearing the shirt would someday magically result in people talking to me, but I did not actually think it would happen. Wooo!

Further proof that you should wear it every day.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

Also the canteen has a typo, an "its/it's" error. :smug:

:smith:

Fargo tweeted last night that they had to delay the release of the video because of grammar problems. Looks like they changed their minds?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Some of my favorite games ever have the most base graphics you can imagine. Tone and imagery was conveyed almost entirely through text. That's taking the argument to an extreme, but to dismiss the art assets as looking like they were done on a budget when they were, in fact, done on a budget is kinda weird when talking about a game like this that is VERY text-heavy.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, I'm just saying that unlike the super high budget games we are mostly used to nowadays, this game is sold mainly on its storytelling, not on its visuals (which I personally think range from decent to great).

I'm sure when this game comes out if the graphics being a little janky is the only complaint you or I have about it, then I'll be a happy camper (and you probably will be too). I know I tend to look past a lot of problems with a game if I love the story (New Vegas). I don't know what that says about me, but there ya go.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Forgot I selected the T-shirt reward instead of the poster reward, so I just went in and selected the blue ranger shirt.

Since I've lost weight since last year, it will be nice to have a nerd shirt that fits me better than the shirt I made (which is, in my humble opinion, a cooler shirt :colbert:).

I've said shirt a lot in this post.

Quarex, aren't you glad you can probably go to the release party now (since it will apparently be in the middle of winter)? Don't forget to give Brian his shirt when you go!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

AxeManiac posted:

Hey SA Goon Backers!

A producer got in touch with me about finalizing the Kickstarter items for our combined 2.5K pledge.

"I glimpsed post with more expansive descriptions there, feel free to forward to me. The weapon is basically only naming it, but we’ll see what we can do based on your reference art (which I have) and ideas. For the SA-44 grenade, please do send in a more expansive backstory if you have it for me.

Thanks,
Thomas Beekers
inXile line producer"

So, what is the final expansive backstory for the SS-44 Grenade?

I wrote and posted a really long winded one in the goon-drive thread, but I think we all decided that a simpler description was best, because while some people may find one guy's "funny" writing funny, others won't. And god knows no one wants something "funny" written by a committee.

Here's my shot:

"A defective grenade from the pre-war era. Caked with rust and shoddily made, it's clear that it's always been pretty much useless. A dirty paper tag hangs from the pin, reading simply, "Pulling here makes all your wildest dreams come true."

Even that might be too wordy, but I think everyone agreed that the last part needed to be in there, somewhere.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 16, 2013

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Maybe we can condense and combine #2 and #4 (the two most popular options):

quote:

A mud caked relic of the pre-war era, this $10 Appleton Arms and Munitions SA-44 Grenade proves too powerful for most simple goons, who often blow themselves to bits while wielding it. A dirty paper tag hangs from the pin that reads "Pulling here makes all your wildest dreams come true."
Unfortunately, it hasn't been any good since 2006.

Lots of references, brevity, all that jazz. What do y'all think? (the last part can stay or go, I thought it was kinda funny myself)

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 29, 2013

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I'm kinda at the point where I think we should just let AxeManiac decide. He's seen how the votes have broken down, and what people seemed to like. I trust his judgement to submit something good at this point. Picking apart the wording and jokes is just killing any fun this has left in it.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I have beta access, but I don't think I want to use it... Brother None, how spoiler-ey will the beta be, story-wise?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
From Facebook:

quote:

“Ok the beta for Wasteland 2 is really close but I'm not quite comfortable releasing it in its current (technical state). I'm excited to get it in your hands but we want to give a little more love. Sorry for the lack of communication on this, it can be hard when you’re this close. Stay tuned!” - Brian Fargo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

bloodynose posted:

Since there were never enough pics, here's one of RB's Desert Rangers belt buckles that I've been sporting since it came in.

:)

I'm glad to know that when I die, something I designed will be out there, somewhere, covered in belly sweat.

• Locked thread