Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since its springtime, and a vast majority of CA is about to start riding at least 5% as much as we talk about riding, we should make our riding a game and play the aptly titled Riding Game.

Never played the riding game? Its easy, heres how it works:
  • Read this thread for the current challenge.
  • Be the first to take a picture of your bike fulfilling that challenge and post it here. No pre-existing pictures (except for my OP example), you have to go out and get the picture. Failure to do so will result in us knowing you're a dick.
  • You get to call the next challenge. Please make it specific and doable, as to not slow down the game.
  • Make it easy to find in the thread itself, maybe :siren:surround it with sirens?:siren:

Example: The challenge is "A Picture of your bike on a dyno". If you are the first person to complete the challenge, you post a picture of your bike on a dyno, like so:

Then you call out another challenge: :siren:A picture of your bike in a tunnel:siren:

Thats it!

Some other things to consider: Remember this is a worldwide game. Make your challenge something the majority of members, regardless of location, can accomplish so we get international participation as well. It's cool that a guy from Scotland can go get a challenge from a guy in Chicago, and we should promote that type of play.

The challenge issuer, or the OP has final call if there is disagreement over whether a challenge has been met

So, on to the current challenge: :siren:A picture of your bike in a tunnel:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I loved this game last year. Checking my map, the nearest tunnel is 170 miles away. Two tanks of gas for the picture. Totally worth it. Edit: it's a 1.75 lane tunnel on a heavily trafficked route. I'm not stopping in that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We started this last fall, and after some hiccups came up with essentially your game, but on a week long timeline. It allowed more people to play and get shots without worrying about being beat, especially with the differing schedules. Some people would want to play but it'd be 10 images different by the time the weekend came around and they could ride. We'd vote on the winner of it and they'd pick the next challenge.

It required someone babysitting the thread and counting votes but it seemed to work well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Pretty cool concept - nearest tunnel for me is about 2 hours away and I have no idea how to actually get there without getting wildly lost so I can't get the first one, hopefully the next is more doable!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fuuuuck I'm less than a mile from a tunnel, but I've been driving the past few weeks because I let maintenance items pile up on the bike and I don't feel comfortable riding it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Good to see this is back, I'll see if I can find a tunnel. Please don't let this thread turn into the bitch/whine fest the last one did.

\/Agree completely, part of what makes the game fun

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 14, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm going to say lets keep the rules the way they are for now. If you're the first person to complete a challenge, you get to call the next one.

If you complete the challenge, but aren't first, then you can of course still post your pics and tell your harrowing tale, you just don't get to pick the next challenge.

The way I see it, its a game of odds. Odds are, if you play, and go for the challenges, you'll win some of them, and you'll lose some.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Then you call out another challenge: :siren:A picture of your bike in a tunnel:siren:

drat, I got my hopes up when i saw the dyno as i have pics of that from last weekend. there is a tunnel a few miles from here but you're not allowed to stop in it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

echomadman posted:

drat, I got my hopes up when i saw the dyno as i have pics of that from last weekend. there is a tunnel a few miles from here but you're not allowed to stop in it.

GoPro stills maybe?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echomadman posted:

i have pics of that from last weekend.

Remember, if you do this, you are a dick.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

GoPro stills maybe?

BINGO

Shot not one hour ago

:siren:NEXT CHALLENGE (way easier this time): Your bike in front of a laundromat:siren:

I'll try not to fulfill my own challenge this time

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Did you just do your own challenge? Brilliant. Anyway

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I actually didnt mean to, but I was driving for work today, realized I was going past two tunnels, popped the GoPro on and took a small detour. I assumed since everyone was saying they couldnt do it that I picked something too difficult.

I promise not to do it again.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 14, 2012

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Unless a challenge comes up "post a bike in your living room" or "...sitting in 3ft of snow" ill join you gents in about 2 months :(

Edit: Totally love this game though and had tons of fun with last year's version.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 14, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm not really bothered, just found it odd. I had to go out of my way to find those tunnels and I found a lot of new nice cruise roads I didn't know about before. That's the whole point of these kind of games to me anyway. :thumbsup:

I wasn't ballsy enough to put the bike in the tunnel. It was nothing but tracks in there and those lines are very active. It's surprising how quiet trains are when they're coming towards you.

Edit:Definitely can't be arsed to get a picture of a laundromat tho. Someone else is welcome to win that one.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I actually didnt mean to, but I was driving for work today, realized I was going past two tunnels, popped the GoPro on and took a small detour. I assumed since everyone was saying they couldnt do it that I picked something too difficult.
That's part of what I was saying with the week at a time thing we came up with. It's not that the challenge was hard, its just most people don't have a chance to go out and do this stuff on a Wednesday. I'm going to school online so I tend to try to get work done on awful days and get out on nice ones, but I'm a minority I'd guess. I think we also worked it so that you put up a pic of the challenge you came up with, but I can't remember.

It definitely was a clusterfuck at first but we worked out a rule system that seemed to work. I've lost the thread to the archives though.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 14, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

Unless a challenge comes up "post a bike in your living room" or "...sitting in 3ft of snow" ill join you gents in about 2 months :(

Edit: Totally love this game though and had tons of fun with last year's version.

"Post your bike in your garage in pieces"

Hopefully by mid-april I'll have it on the road. sigh

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is fun, it will be great and possibly last for years. Put me down as one of the later bloomers.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sagebrush posted:

"Post your bike in the garage, waiting its turn behind the Goldwing you've got in pieces" :smithicide:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Olde Weird Tip posted:

NEXT CHALLENGE (way easier this time): Your bike in front of a laundromat

where the gently caress do i find a laundromat i don't live in the ussr

edit: apparently I need to be in the seediest part of the seediest city... Do dry cleaners count?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KARMA! posted:

where the gently caress do i find a laundromat i don't live in the ussr

edit: apparently I need to be in the seediest part of the seediest city... Do dry cleaners count?

nsaP posted:

Definitely can't be arsed to get a picture of a laundromat tho.

Isn't the whole point of this game that it makes you go out and explore new places on your bike? And it really isn't that hard to find a laundromat, jesus.

maps.google.com -> "[your city] laundromat". I found 12 in my city of 130,000 people

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Isn't the whole point of this game that it makes you go out and explore new places on your bike? And it really isn't that hard to find a laundromat, jesus.

maps.google.com -> "[your city] laundromat"

Exactly, which is why I didnt lead with "your bike in front of a McDonalds"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

maps.google.com -> "[your city] laundromat". I found 12 in my city of 130,000 people

Yeah, I already did that today. Got a picture of a tunnel. I meant I don't care.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thread is taking a turn for the sassy, someone come through with a laundromat pic!!

Its easy, theres like one every two blocks in big cities!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Thread is taking a turn for the sassy, someone come through with a laundromat pic!!

Its easy, theres like one every two blocks in big cities!

I ride by one (at least one) on my way home from work every day, I'll try to get one! Just a couple more hours oh god

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I ride by one (at least one) on my way home from work every day, I'll try to get one! Just a couple more hours oh god

Doooooo it!!!!

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

If Gay Nudist Dad doesn't get this today, I can definitely do this tomorrow. School is out of session for spring break so I drove today. :arghfist:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

First one to get it gets to call it. Even If someone posts it before you, or says they'll do it, try for it, the worst you get is a good ride and an interesting picture.

If you do a challenge, even if you're not the first one, post your picture here anyway

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Doooooo it!!!!

It's so close to my apartment, I had no excuse. This is minutes after I had a great experience with a small green SUV that decided to drive alongside me in my lane for a while. That is not the intention of lane sharing :argh:

I had to kinda stand in the street (in rush hour, by an intersection) to get this so I had to stay close.

:siren: YOUR CHALLENGE: A BOAT :siren:

The boat must be bigger than your motorcycle. (no toy boats, sorry landlocked states)

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 15, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It's so close to my apartment, I had no excuse. This is minutes after I had a great experience with a small green SUV that decided to drive alongside me in my lane for a while. That is not the intention of lane sharing :argh:

I had to kinda stand in the street (in rush hour, by an intersection) to get this so I had to stay close.

The boat must be bigger than your motorcycle. (no toy boats, sorry landlocked states)

Damnit, I just finished a beer or I would totally win this one in 5 minutes. I can see boats from my front window. :(

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Hopefully by mid-april I'll have it on the road. sigh

:(:hf::(

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

What? Where? Argh! :supaburn:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

THAT'S NOT THE SIT AND SPIN. Hmm... they closed that didn't they? :(

... boat will proabably be done before I can get the deet in front of CVN-68.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Boat posted:

What? Where? Argh! :supaburn:

Self-portrait sitting on your bare frame. Do it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

God drat it I was JUST parked within visible distance of an aircraft carrier! Hope this is still here tomorrow night.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Damnit, I was next to my Dads boat all day doing my oils (1st time so it took me a few hours to figure out where everything went, etc plus had to drive out to get the oils >.>)

I've got one of my new oil filter in front of a boat, does that count?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm taking advantage of GMT here.. I rode out to Southwark to take a picture of the World Famous Golden Hinde Galleon Ship (Currently Undergoing Renovation).
I could have just gone down to the river near me and taken a picture of a rowboat, but this was more fun!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My challenge, since I'm now going to get an expensive coffee from Monmouth Coffee in borough market is as follows:

:siren: take a picture outside a hip urban coffee shop with an espresso based beverage :siren:

if you haven't got one of those, I guess a Tim Hortons will have to do!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Some initial bitching aside glad to see it's off to a good start. If no one has found a lovely coffee shop by the time I head home I'll brave a hipster coffee shop.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Linedance posted:

I'm taking advantage of GMT here.. I rode out to Southwark to take a picture of the World Famous Golden Hinde Galleon Ship (Currently Undergoing Renovation).
I could have just gone down to the river near me and taken a picture of a rowboat, but this was more fun!

Off topic... what kind of bike is that?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

orthod0ks posted:

Aprilia, I think? One of those kinda bikes you never see in the states.

The best I can do with a coffee shop is one of the 1000s of Dunkin Donuts within a 10 miles radius of my apartment. Not exactly hipster though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

orthod0ks posted:

Aprilia Pegaso Strada. The wheels are blue, if you can believe it! (it needs a bath).
650 single, shared with various Yamahas and other smaller makes. It makes about 50HP and kicks rear end for urban riding and country lanes.

• Locked thread