Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echomadman posted:

i have pics of that from last weekend.

Remember, if you do this, you are a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

Unless a challenge comes up "post a bike in your living room" or "...sitting in 3ft of snow" ill join you gents in about 2 months :(

Edit: Totally love this game though and had tons of fun with last year's version.

"Post your bike in your garage in pieces"

Hopefully by mid-april I'll have it on the road. sigh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KARMA! posted:

where the gently caress do i find a laundromat i don't live in the ussr

edit: apparently I need to be in the seediest part of the seediest city... Do dry cleaners count?

nsaP posted:

Definitely can't be arsed to get a picture of a laundromat tho.

Isn't the whole point of this game that it makes you go out and explore new places on your bike? And it really isn't that hard to find a laundromat, jesus.

maps.google.com -> "[your city] laundromat". I found 12 in my city of 130,000 people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

invision posted:

Can we have the current challenge in SIRENS in the OP?

I think just putting it in sirens in the post itself is fine. Personally I like seeing all the duplicates in this kind of game because you see different interpretations of the same thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linedance posted:

Does an air<i>port</i> count? I guess even if it did I'd somehow have to get airside which would be impossible...
This is fun, it's like a worldwide motorcycle scavenger hunt!

If you go on google maps, you might be surprised at how many little airfields there are in the area around your city. It's quite common to find uncontrolled airfields that are little more than a packed grass strip for glider pilots to recover on, for instance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabs posted:

'challenge board'

I wholeheartedly support this. Keep the same "first person to do it picks the next one" but you can continue to post submissions for any of the challenges from the previous week. If you wanted to get extra fancy you could also have a leaderboard of who has completed the most challenges in the current week, and the winner each week picks the initial topic for the next week. This way people who have to work and can't just jump to the nearest laundromat in 30 minutes still have an opportunity to win things by going on a weekend ride and collecting as many as they can. Right?

[e] if it goes that way, it could become confusing trying to figure out what the most recent challenge is since people will be posting pictures of all different subjects. So I would recommend that if you are the first person to complete a challenge (scroll back and see), then post it in sirens with the next challenge in bold below it...but if you are just making a submission, put it in regular text with some other unusual emoticon or something.

:siren: I completed post your bike on the killing floor of a slaughterhouse! :siren:
(pic)
the next topic is your bike inside the large hadron collider

I also completed
:sax: your bike on the roof (pic)
:sax: your bike in a subway tunnel (pic)

How would that be?

[e2] yeah really this would be a lot of work for OWT

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 17, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I call bullshit. That doesn't look like any hospital I've ever seen. Is it an animal hospital or something? :colbert:

[e]

nsaP posted:

You aren't allowed to talk anymore.

To be honest, yeah. I will refrain from posting in this thread until my bike is put back together and I can contribute a photo.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 18, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

:siren:Your bike and something from World War 2:siren:

Goddamnit, I live next to the military college and there are real WWII tanks and howitzers and stuff all over the place (for that matter, military equipment from all eras between like 1780 and 1980)...but I can't ride until my new tires get here. Ugh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Push it!

Well, "next to" is a bit of an exaggeration. It's more like 2.5 miles and I'd have to go across a bridge pushing this bike with damaged tires.

If in a week or so there's a "post your bike next to an F-101" or "next to an 18th century cannon tower" or "with a cannon that was used by protestants to shoot catholics" I'll be set, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

I've been trying so hard but I always get beaten :(

Well, none of Gay Nudist Dad's photos are loading for me, so as far as I'm concerned you won that one. Good one, too...I wasn't expecting an air raid siren.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I cheated -- this was about four days ago (though the tank is still off). But other people beat me to it so I figure this just fills out the thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This may be helpful to those of us who live where homicides aren't a daily occurrence: http://www.crimereports.com

[e] holy poo poo there are a lot of sex offenders in downtown phoenix

VVVVVVVVVV By default it only shows data from the last 14 days. Set "date range" to the last couple months instead and be astonished

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 1, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

If you take the pic from the street I don't think anyone can actually say poo poo. If you're on his property I think he can tell you to get off but that's about it.

You can take a picture of anything you can see while standing on public (or your own) property. There are two main exceptions: first, things that have some relevance to national security, which used to basically mean military bases and some government buildings but post-PATRIOT act can include anything from oil refineries to freeway overpasses; and second, areas in which a person has "a reasonable expectation of privacy", such as in their bedroom window. As usual, enforcement depends on how pissy the cop is and how brown you are.

The parking lot he was in was likely private property, but even in that case the worst the property owner can do is ask you to leave. And if you're standing on a public sidewalk you can take as many pics as you please (until you get beaten up).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I encountered a six-inch-deep pile of guts and gore all over the highway that I'm assuming was once a full-grown doe hit broadside by a tractor-trailer...but my bike is still in pieces.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chriskory posted:

Why, I think that's the prettiest shot in the thread so far. Where is that?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

Here is a list for Canadian Provinces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provincial_and_territorial_symbols

I could roll my bike into the backyard and take a picture of it with an Eastern White Pine, but that seems to be kind of missing the point. Goddamnit, why isn't the Ministry of Transportation open on Sundays :bahgawd:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I live just down the street from a marina! The harbor that was used for the sailing and boating events in the 1976 Olympics, in fact.

But it's raining pretty hard. Gross.

But the point is to go out and ride, right?

[e]

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Oh im so on that one

owned
(I would like to see your marina too though)

Ok, well, looks like I win that unless Detroit117 says otherwise, so
:siren:Your bike with a big hole:siren:

Up to you to decide what that means. A quarry, a mineshaft, a construction site, a canyon...or some more creative interpretation. (yo mama doesn't count)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 22, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Detroit117 posted:

Nice photo, looks like it could of been taken in the 1970s.

I screwed with the colors a bit to make it look more like an old Kodachrome. The boat to the right is still too new, but hey.

(yes I am aware this makes me a giant hipster)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Good effort, Viper_3000, but I'm gonna say that babyeatingpsychopath's stuff wins this one by virtue of sheer size.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've been led to believe by the supermotard crowd here that that SMs can literally drive up the side of a building should they want to, so frankly I'm feeling a little let down that no one with a DRZ has done so yet :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Since you're all a bunch of lazy fucks, you get this parking garage. I was hoping for someone with a DRZ and access to a service elevator to show up on top of a skyscraper or something but ya snooze, ya lose.

An easier one, to get this thing going again:

:siren:Your bike with a piece of heavy machinery.:siren:

A heavy-duty pickup truck is not an acceptable response. Farm equipment, backhoes, cranes, stationary engines, whatever you like, but the bigger and more unique the better. An ideal response to this challenge would be the Bagger 288.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

grunthaas posted:

Your bike next to an aircraft.

I saw this while out riding and couldn't pass it up, but seeing as how I got to pick a challenge recently, I'll let someone else who found an airplane pick the next one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm counting on you, Captain Apollo! Cause if someone doesn't post something soon I'm going to go to where I know I can find ANOTHER fighter jet and double-win this :colbert:

e: or a third place where I could also get a little 1940s trainer

VVV good, that's the spirit

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 13, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hm. I'm not sure that Honda made any air-cooled scrambler or dual-sport twins in 1992. I guess a CB400 would be the closest to a CL350? But that doesn't look anything like a '71 CL350.

If I were in the UK I could look for one of these, which is a few years too new but is definitely an updated CL350 in spirit.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 4, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CloFan posted:

Either that or find an 80 year old bike

Edit: I like that bike. What is it?

It's a 1998-2008 CL400. Based on the XR400 or something -- it's actually a single with exhaust pipes from each valve, I guess. It appears to be Japan-only with very rare European imports. I really like the look of it, the pipe design especially, but I doubt I'll ever find one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think Mao did fine. I thought the point of the riding game was to give people a reason to go somewhere they'd never gone before. So you request landmarks, geographical features, industries, that sort of thing. Things you can locate and then ride out to. The "Welcome To..." challenge is great because it encourages you to ride out to the largest border you can get to. "Find [very specific motorcycle]" is a really hard challenge to accomplish because you have no idea where to go to find one, so you just have to sort of chance upon one parked on the street, and that's only if you have a bike that's reasonably common in the first place.

I like the idea of finding "your bike's younger brother" or whatever, and it's your prerogative to pick the challenge you want, but just saying it's not really the most entertaining one in practice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, but he wants half the age! a '73 is 39 years old so you have to find something that is 19.5 years old -- a 1992-3 model.

(post the pic anyway)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Eight-douche is almost as bad as the marines when it comes to having a huge ego to go along with a poo poo job and unit. Congrats dude, you learned how to fall out of an airplane. You're pretty special for passing a course with a lower attrition rate than most high schools.

What is the attrition rate, exactly? I remember seeing a poster years ago claiming that across the whole USA, high school trajectories sort of split evenly into four paths: 25% to university, 25% to community college, 25% straight into the workforce, and 25% drop out before graduating.

I'm surprised if 75% of the people who enter the airborne corps pass it. I'd heard it was supposed to be super hard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I found a tank near the entrance to the army base, but was yelled at by an MP because apparently it's some kind of monument and I was disrespecting it by moving my bike up close for the photo. I theorize that he was just being a dickweed but in the event that it is indeed disrespectful to some dead soldiers I won't post the picture.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

obso posted:

Unfortunately the only picture that turned out. I've got to get an actual camera.

That's really pretty. Where are you located? I can't tell from your license plate.

CloFan posted:

Fun ride nonetheless, I got to ride on gravel/dirt for the first time... kinda scary. Felt like I was gonna dump at any minute.

What sort of tires are you running? I have 80/20 dual sport tires...I discovered a huge sand pit yesterday and had a blast scooting around in that shooting a giant rooster tail with the rear end sliding all over the place. CL350s seem pretty heavy compared to a real dirt bike, but as long as you keep up your momentum on the soft stuff you might be surprised at where you can get. I think I actually have more fun on gravel, sand and grass than on the twistiest pavement.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I request that a sample of the so-called "sand" be submitted to a well-regarded geology lab for analysis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Because he started the thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:wtc: Why

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I doubt anyone would like it if I sumo'd into Arlington National Cemetery and took my picture with the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

They'd probably shoot you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYCPbP_a46I

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

License plate #95 huh. You're in the USVI, right? Do they really only have a hundred motorcycles there?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah...this is the "ride somewhere you haven't before" game, not the "take motorcycle-related photos" game.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

BZZZZZZZZZZZT Times up on this one. I know its winter and less people are riding, but I honestly wracked my brain trying to think of something like your challenge near me and I couldnt.

Thanks for this...I was actually out on the weekend and thought "hey, I'll check on the riding game and see if I can accomplish the current challenge" and saw that one and was all helll naw, I don't know this city anywhere near well enough to know about kludges like that. Unless you count all of San Francisco as one gigantic kludge, which is reasonable.

I'll try to find a trail that is 80% road 20% dirt to match a '70s scrambler's functionality.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assume this means realistically attainable dream bike then, right? Cause, you know, it's going to be hard to find a '34 R7 just hanging around.

Still doesn't help though I guess cause my current most desired bike is used and only available in Japan :saddowns:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

It's definitely not a photoshop

Even the text above the stage? That's got to be photoshopped in, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't see any pictures there :colbert:

VVVV I would guess that either one or the other wasn't completely broken off. Either he had a nub of clutch lever to get it started, and stayed in one gear the whole time, or he had a nub of shifter and crash-shifted into first without using the clutch.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 22, 2013

• Locked thread