Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Call Of Duty 2 Gamer Wonders If War Is Worth Dying 79 Times For

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Onion fans should also enjoy http://www.literallyunbelievable.org

Facebook reactions from people who think Onion articles are real.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Mierdaan posted:

'This American Life' Completes Documentation Of Liberal, Upper-Middle-Class Existence.

This one's particularly great because it cut so deep for This American Life that they were forced to devote an act in their show to The Onion out of respect.

Which was a really fascinating look inside The Onion and one of my favorite episodes.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I never see hard copies where I live, but apparently the website is only free in America now. It does sometimes have some pretty obnoxious ads though.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Volume posted:

Is this on youtube or something because I saw this on my facebook feed 2 weeks ago and couldn't get the link to work. I googled it and couldn't get the link to work, this link doesn't work. I clicked on it from their website and the link doesn't work. It all just goes to a blank white page.
I wanna see this!

That link works for me. Clear your cache, maybe?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

voting third party posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0App7QizQCU

This might be the best thing the onion has done yet, the natural ending point of reality tv. Part two is even more awkward.

Jesus Christ, these are funny.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Lysidas posted:

Thanks to the Onion, Thursday is my favorite day of the week.

Sex House Episode 8

Holy... gently caress.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Four Homeless People Dead In What Girlfriend Refers To As 'Cuddle Weather'

Is it just me or are has The Onion been getting even more grim in the last couple of months or something

Somebody says this every couple months. They've always been like that.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Graviija posted:

I'm curious about the writing/vetting process with the Onion and its sub-sites. There's no way these articles, especially ones as hilariously insane as this, are group efforts. I have to imagine one person has an idea and just writes it. Maybe there are minor edits to grammar or syntax, but I can't see anyone besides the author adding lines to this stuff. The head editor must just take a look at it and say yes or no.

As much as I love my current job (as an editor, coincidentally), I think getting a chance to work for the Onion would be the one place I would consider dropping everything to work at. Disregard the preposition ending that sentence.

This is several years old at this point, but I still love this 17 minute piece This American Life did about how the Onion decides on its stories. I don't know if things have changed since then.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/348/tough-room?act=1

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

This one had me giggling all night.

My 2-Month-Old Son Won’t Stop Demanding Soda In A Grown Man’s Voice. Does Anyone Have Any Advice?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I was hoping this would be another article about not understanding firefighters.

Well you needn't be sad for long:

This 40-Year-Old Man Breaks Down Crying. Thirty Seconds Later, We’re Crying Too

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Just reread this one from last year and cracked up all over again.

5 Secret McDonald’s Menu Items You Have To Order

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Here's a fun article about Clickhole that gives some insight on how they create their articles.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2015/06/clickhole_writers_explain_their_craft_how_the_onion_s_internet_parody_spinoff.1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Maybe I'm just too dumb or not the right audience, but I feel like Starwipe is a swing and a miss.