Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'd like to be able to make a club studded with dogman fangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev
Hey Guys!

Crash Fistfight posted:

Wondering if there's any way to get the test update as a Humble purchaser without registering the game on Steam?

Unfortunately, there isn't. I do plan on updating the Humble DRM-free download as new stable builds become available. But the "test" versions on Steam/BlueBottleGames sites are only available via those channels. Hopefully, I'll have a stable build soon. 0.986 isn't bad, so it may get slotted in as "default" once 0.987 becomes the next "test."

Goldfinch posted:

Yup, I love the setting. When I saw that "Grayling Community College" shirt for the first time, I just cracked up. I selfishly hope you add more events and stuff to the northern part of the map since I grew up near Grayling :)

Dumb question, but is there a reason you didn't use the name of the actual community college there? Is that some sort of legal thing?

Part of it is legal. I tend to avoid trademarks and copyrights as much as possible. Government facilities, municipal names, and such are fair game, though.

Also, I'm not actually from Michigan, so my ignorance shows through from time to time :)

Xik posted:

:siren: :siren: NEO Scavenger 2 confirmed with science fiction setting!!! :siren: :siren:

Haha, but seriously. If NEO Scavenger 2 ends up being a thing that is financially viable and you end up rolling with it, that would be pretty exciting.

I'm pretty excited, too! In a lot of ways, NEO Scavenger's universe was designed in such a way that it's an excuse to make anything I want while still being in the same canon. (Mostly near-future, "firm" sci-fi with supernatural horror a la X-Files.)

So far, I think NEO Scavenger 1 is going well enough that I can probably afford to do a NEO Scavenger 2. So fingers crossed! I just have to actually finish #1 before that window closes.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
:frogsiren: NEO now has modding support :frogsiren:

Check out the details on the site.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Honestly when I first tried this game out quite a while ago, probably a year ago, I didn't like it and initially found it ridiculously unfair. But now after playing the demo every so often and checking up on it lately, I gotta say now it only keeps getting better and better with the more elements that are brought in. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite games, just from the breadth and complexity of the crafting, combat, and medical treatment mechanics in the game. I've bought a few copies for myself and some friends and since then we've been nonstop swapping stories with each other over our numerous weird encounters. I can't wait to see what other features will be added down the road.

Just never nerf Dogman coat please. I love Dogman coat.

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 19, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wish that avail turns were recalculated once you used a light source. It sucks to go from dusk to night, down to 1/1 turns, then build a fire or use night vision and be at 0/4 rather than 3/4. Same with running out of light - you have no opportunity to refresh it; it's already too late once you're at 1/1.

Also, I agree. The fact that I am complaining about a minor thing shows how mature the game has become. Then again, maybe my athletics / melee / medic / strong / trapping with a broad spear is a little overpowered.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 21, 2014

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Speaking about the game maturing; do we have a rough ETA for the feature complete game? I have this almost pathological aversion to playing unfinished games. This game is great so far, but I don't want to burn out on it before I can experience the full game as it was envisioned.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there any point to doing The plot stuff in DMC after you've done it once? I figure it's just not complete yet, but all I seem to have gotten out of it was the storyline information, and almost getting taken out by the Sky 5-0

For that matter, Is there any other use for the RFID spoofer after the plot stuff's done? I'm tempted to chuck it to the junk market, but part of me is paranoid.

Also seconding the don't-nerf-my-coat sentiment, it's so warm and fluffy :(

EDIT: Okay here's something I noticed in the last few games I've played. Every once in a while I'll be sleeping, and something will approach, but I never wake up to see what it is. When I wake up, not only is nothing missing, but there's a bag of stuff or just a random scattering of items as well as my own. Am I being visited by Wasteland Santa?

Danaru fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 21, 2014

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Pardon if this has come up before, but any chance of getting cloud support?

Also it would be neat to get some kind of leaderboard or just personal stats (gametime, some kind of log of starting traits, some numbers on which ones you play most etc). Numbers are cool.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

JHVH-1 posted:

Pardon if this has come up before, but any chance of getting cloud support?

Also it would be neat to get some kind of leaderboard or just personal stats (gametime, some kind of log of starting traits, some numbers on which ones you play most etc). Numbers are cool.

Highest number of squirrels trapped in one game.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I, too, wish for the dogman coat to remain as it is. In what other game can you come out of a cryo tube, kick some mutant rear end and wear the drat thing as a coat after skinning it with a bit of broken window in the first few minutes of play? :black101:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I guess the problem with the coat is that it's almost always worth getting it. I don't think I've had a successful character that hasn't taken the right skills to craft the coat. I know there are other options for heat, like fixing the system in the cryo chamber, but that doesn't come close to the utility of always being warm wherever you are, and being scary as gently caress to boot. I wouldn't mind it if the coat stayed just as effective, but perhaps tougher to craft or get in the first place, or for there to be better alternatives for different skill sets. Maybe you could hack the console to open up a locker with a high performance softshell jacket in it or something.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Chas McGill posted:

I guess the problem with the coat is that it's almost always worth getting it. I don't think I've had a successful character that hasn't taken the right skills to craft the coat. I know there are other options for heat, like fixing the system in the cryo chamber, but that doesn't come close to the utility of always being warm wherever you are, and being scary as gently caress to boot. I wouldn't mind it if the coat stayed just as effective, but perhaps tougher to craft or get in the first place, or for there to be better alternatives for different skill sets. Maybe you could hack the console to open up a locker with a high performance softshell jacket in it or something.

Eh, not always. I've had many successful games lately without killing that first dogman. If you get on towards evening and are still freezing to death, there's a scripted event that gives you a sleeping bag. Beyond that, there are ways to find warm clothing. Craft a sling, load it up with pebbles and take down a deer, then use trapping to create a patchwork hide coat. Or load it with stones and kill another human then skin and eat him take his clothes.
Or, find a camp site, start a fire (trapping is essential for the early game), and just stay up all night feeding the fire. You'll be tired the next day, but alive.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
The problem with the skills is that the various tech and finesse skills are nowhere as useful as the caveman skills. Being able to pick a lock quietly is nice, but the alternative is being able to rip it right off with a crowbar while not caring about the noise you make since you're also good at bashing heads in with said crowbar.

Damegane fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 25, 2014

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I made it to the DMC for the first time but spooked the bank teller into hiring a guard. I found some posts on the internet from a few months ago saying I was hosed; is there any other way to advance that's been implemented yet?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So, after going to the Glow, is there anything else to do plotwise in the game? I found a name of a place by exploring the apartments, but the wiki has no info on it and there wasn't any in-game direction as to where to go next. Does the story stop here, or just the wiki?

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
There are several other event locations to explore, but the game itself doesn't give a whole lot of indication as to what or where they are. I went with the wiki as well.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I thought this was just going to be some weird little thing i'd play once and throw in the backlog forever. Two and a half hours later I'm crawling after a concussed blind man who stabbed me in the head with an arrow. I have to get up before him so I can kick him unconscious and dump his pockets onto the ground. He has a beef jerky that I eat immediately. I bandage up my head, pop some painkillers and shuffle my bleeding, bruised, hypothermic self back into the woods in search of water.

This game is awesome.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev
The trail of clues leading to DMC runs cold after the apartments, due to being incomplete. So that's normal for now. I have two new encounters I'm working on, and one will provide further plot to explore on that particular mystery.

As Schnedwob says, there are also other places to explore which are harder to find. Some have complementary clues to your mystery, while others are purely unrelated. The other encounter I'm working on develops one of these trails of clues, and some changes are necessary to make them a bit less "blind."

Overall, I'm trying to make the plot as non-linear as possible. I wanted some clues to be more obvious, while others required various combinations of deduction or luck to find. And players would feel like they're driving their own investigation, choosing which lead to follow and when.

In practice, though, that's a tall order. I'll probably be able to add the aforementioned new locations to conclude both lines of questioning, plus some minor clues sprinkled around (e.g. newspapers and data files have relevant info in them) before I run out of time.

@FadedReality, thanks! Your desperate story sounds a bit like my latest attempt to record a gameplay video for the Indie Megabooth contest. Started out explaining the mechanics of the game, and ended up cold, naked, and exhausted by endless pursuit from a dogman through the night.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Any plans to add other things like salt for making cured meat without trapping skill (and with trapping skill, making even longer lasting jerky)?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

So I ran into this guy

He's incredibly rude, seems to be in a rush but following him is leading me in circles. Has a lot of different short conversations essentially telling me to stop wasting his time, sometimes he won't even talk but if I threaten him he'll offer to talk. Never attacks me though no matter how much I pester him.
Anyway I can't find anything about him on the wiki, he has a lot of dialogue so wondering if there's maybe a quest related to him?
Guy has the feeble trait so I could easily kill him and take whatever he's carrying but he seems peaceful if annoyed.

e: Or are all looters just like that and that's the first I've encountered....

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I've never had anything like that happen, the only people that will talk to me are the Detroit guards.

I think he's just being tsundere, you may have opened up the dating game section of NEO scavenger

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Any plans to add other things like salt for making cured meat without trapping skill (and with trapping skill, making even longer lasting jerky)?

There are some other items and locations in the works, but jerky/salted meat may not be one of them. There was a similar discussion on the BBG forums a while back, but I ultimately wasn't able to find data to support cured meat recipes in NEO Scavenger's crafting time frame. Namely, crafting is for recipes that take 1 turn or less (<1 hour), but curing/salting meat is something that takes weeks (and sometimes months).

That said, one could probably make a recipe for a brine bath or similar curing rig, and set a degrade timer on the item of several weeks (e.g. salt bath + container + and meat = curing rig). Then, make that rig degrade into cured meat + container, such that the player could return to the hex later to claim the "cured" meat.

That'd probably produce the result you're after. However, I'll probably be focusing on the remaining encounters/locations and bug fixes, and won't have time to add it myself. I smell a potentially popular mod cooking :)

@Jarf, it sounds like you ran into the "Biddy" looter personality. I put together a few personalities for each faction, and assign a random one to each NPC when they're spawned. Technically, all NPCs have at least one line they'll say if you catch them in the mood for talking.

Looters, since they're more likely to talk, have more dialogue written, and more personalities. This one is pretty rude, and impatient, and is sort of an in-joke about CRPGs. E.g. he says what I'd imagine a real person would say to some random dude who comes up and starts asking questions like "what's your story?"

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Are stats collected from the game at all? It would be interesting to know what traits are most common, how long the average game usually lasts, favorite weapons etc.

I still stink at the game, but its fun.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev

JHVH-1 posted:

Are stats collected from the game at all? It would be interesting to know what traits are most common, how long the average game usually lasts, favorite weapons etc.

I still stink at the game, but its fun.

Long, long ago they were. I was interested in the same thing, and used a service called Playtomic to track things like session length, skill choices, cause of death, etc.

Unfortunately, that service died about a year after launch. And with feature voting ranking online stats low on the list, I didn't spend any time rolling my own. Plus, a lot of people get nervous when a game "phones home," even if it's something as innocent as gameplay stats.

If I had time to build such a system (especially an opt-in one for those concerned), I still think it'd be a cool thing to explore!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I just played a game where I got beat up by a Bad Mutha, and before I could even bandage or anything this Merga Wraith shows up. All without me even leaving the first hex.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280208369

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

JHVH-1 posted:

I just played a game where I got beat up by a Bad Mutha, and before I could even bandage or anything this Merga Wraith shows up. All without me even leaving the first hex.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280208369

You dropped something you shouldn't have~

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Cidrick posted:

You dropped something you shouldn't have~
Iirc, enemies were also able to steal that something from you when you passed out. Dunno if that still can happen, but did you give away any items after the surrender?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Tin Tim posted:

Iirc, enemies were also able to steal that something from you when you passed out. Dunno if that still can happen, but did you give away any items after the surrender?

I don't even recall. I kinda clicked through it half paying attention because I was playing while multitasking at work.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I do have to say, I don't like the way the game handles saves, at all.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
To be specific: What I don't like is Opera wiping out my save data. Just checked - deleting Opera's history also deletes NEO Scavenger saves. So okay I'm uninstalling Opera anyway, but it's still a problem.

Flash local data gets wiped on a regular basis, and therefore relying on it is unreliable at best.

Another problem I found: You can just empty out a water bottle at the Junk Market, getting $10 per water bottle you do this to.

So, with Trapping or a Lighter you can haul wood to a river/lake and keep sterilizing water to quickly rack up money.

Also, sterilized water stacking with non-sterilized water is really irritating from an UI point of view, as is the handling of various sub-containers (like bottles).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The option you want to deselect for Opera to not delete flash is Delete Persistant storage from what I recall.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That doesn't do it.

Also, found a major bug. When you disassemble a Travais (or probably any vehicle) with a laptop with software on it, the laptop loses all software - probably because software can't exist outside the laptop.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BlueBottleGames posted:

There are some other items and locations in the works, but jerky/salted meat may not be one of them. There was a similar discussion on the BBG forums a while back, but I ultimately wasn't able to find data to support cured meat recipes in NEO Scavenger's crafting time frame. Namely, crafting is for recipes that take 1 turn or less (<1 hour), but curing/salting meat is something that takes weeks (and sometimes months).

That said, one could probably make a recipe for a brine bath or similar curing rig, and set a degrade timer on the item of several weeks (e.g. salt bath + container + and meat = curing rig). Then, make that rig degrade into cured meat + container, such that the player could return to the hex later to claim the "cured" meat.

That'd probably produce the result you're after. However, I'll probably be focusing on the remaining encounters/locations and bug fixes, and won't have time to add it myself. I smell a potentially popular mod cooking :)
Yeah but roamers disassemble everything you build within the course of less than 2 days which kind of sucks. It'd be nice to have an option to "hide stuff" in a camp so others won't find it, like requiring tarps and foilage or unremovable ingame hidey holes in some camps.

Failing that I could just have tupperware storable in a cart as a make-your-own-jerky solution

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I am so terrible at Roguelikes (the few times I have stared uncomprehendingly at them), but this looks pretty cool along with the useful seeming interface. So I'm gonna grab it and fail spectacularly as is tradition.

Silly question. Is Neo Scavenger one of those survival games where the entire point is to see how long you can survive? Or the kind with an end goal, even if that is Accomplish X so when you inevitably die you know you at least "beat" the story. Or at least something along those lines planned for later, seeing this is Early Access. Either way, it seems to have more going for it than "Survive the zombies and your failing body, the end." like a lot of things popping up in early access these days.

Chas McGill posted:

I'd like to be able to make a club studded with dogman fangs.

This quote and mindset of players is what pushed me to try this out, even if it is apparently not a feature (yet? :pray:)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 10, 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There is a story, it's incomplete though.

It also doesn't really play like a roguelike, there's no skill progress or levels or anything like that, the interface is also a lot more intuitive and minimalist compared to most roguelikes.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev

endlessmonotony posted:

Flash local data gets wiped on a regular basis, and therefore relying on it is unreliable at best.

Yeah, this is something I dislike, too. Unfortunately, this is a limitation we're stuck with since the game was built on Flash. Future games won't be, largely for this reason. But for NEO Scavenger "1.0," I'm afraid there isn't another solution.

In the meantime, this post may help you to narrow down (and solve) the issue causing save game removal:
http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/762

As for emptying water at the junk market, is that really a problem? Aren't you just selling clean water to a market with demand?

And yes, stacking mismatched water types is a bug I have logged. (They're actually matching water types with mismatched "identified" states.) It's a lower priority bug, though, as I finish adding the story encounters.

endlessmonotony posted:

Also, found a major bug. When you disassemble a Travais (or probably any vehicle) with a laptop with software on it, the laptop loses all software - probably because software can't exist outside the laptop.

This appears to be a bug with hardware and crafting in general, so I've made a note to look into it!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah but roamers disassemble everything you build within the course of less than 2 days which kind of sucks. It'd be nice to have an option to "hide stuff" in a camp so others won't find it, like requiring tarps and foilage or unremovable ingame hidey holes in some camps.

Failing that I could just have tupperware storable in a cart as a make-your-own-jerky solution

Hidey-holes/caches are something I'd like to add, too, if time permits!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BlueBottleGames posted:

As for emptying water at the junk market, is that really a problem? Aren't you just selling clean water to a market with demand?

True, but it's a bit of a weird gameplay thing, where you can just keep repeating an action forever with next to zero risk and get a reward. If you don't do it, you're putting your character in risk for no reason, and if you do, it's tedious and boring.

A simple way to solve it is to require water to be sold in bottles, disallowing just emptying them in marketplaces.

EDIT: Also, on the save game deletion, you could add a regular executable launching with the game that moves the saves to a safe place (%appdata%, probably) when you shut down the game, and restores them upon the next launch.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 20, 2014

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Alternatively... a random event where the local water racket muscles the character out of town? :shrug:

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
You guys should check out Darkwood. It just went into early access beta today.
It shares some of the survival horror/item crafting and exploration gameplay of NEO Scavenger, but is, if anything, MORE dark and twisted.

Any game where one of your first available actions is to kill your dying, whimpering dog is plenty dark for me.

Unfortunately, it's very early beta, so there's not a lot to do yet, but enough to do some exploring and get a feel for the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Dying of starvation and Blue Rot disease, I lapsed into a coma for about a full day of game time. I woke up starving and weak and discovered that some bastard was coming to kill me and take all my poo poo while I slept. We fought an intense duel of tripping and tackling each other before I caved his poo poo in with a broad spear. I then proceeded to butcher and roast his corpse to fill my malnourished belly :black101:

This game loving owns.

• Locked thread