Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Is there some trick to boiling water? I can make a 'tiny camp fire' fine, I have a metal pot, empty plastic bottles and some 'water' but it never gives me the option to make 'purified water' no matter what combination I try. I seem to be able to do other stuff fine, but I always die of thirst because my guy doesn't seem to want to boil anything.

You need to make the fire bigger by combining a big log on the tiny one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Are the rifle slings and scopes currently useful or are they just flavor items that don't serve a purpose yet? I also found a shopping cart to carry stuff in but that fell apart.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The annoying bug where if you have a decent number of recipes known the entire right side of your screen becomes unusable because they stay there on the map is still there. :sigh: Sort of doomed a character I was playing on for a while.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Oh, wow, looks like I've missed a lot since the last time I played this. Time to die horribly again.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Dang, this game definitely got way more brutal for early round characters than it used to be. Little hard to get anywhere before you die of hypothermia.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
People get absolutely absurdly intimidated if you are wearing a dogman pelt. The only times I've actually died are to raiders with guns.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Guns are liiiiiiiiiittle bit hard to come by in comparison to (much, much) earlier beta versions that I played. There should really be a fifth building type in cities beyond homes/sheds/office buildings/apartments that carries some of it (or trading locations other than Detroit)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Another thing I'm finding is it's pretty easy to lock yourself out of content (or die) without your knowledge or warning. Stole from the diner and decided to go back twice? Killed in traffic. Tried to get the password to the bank teller more than once? Cops, which blocks you from further bank content( though I could be wrong, I didn't go back multiple times after that). Zom zom's has similar mechanics but since it's near the beginning of the game it hurts less.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 24, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Apparently it's possible (and somewhat easy, though it takes long) to kill the Merga Wraith with a really lucky melee surge attack. Managed to kill it after wasting all my ammo trying to see if it was possible to actually hit the thing more than once (it isn't reliably) with a gun while I had the necklace back on. The obstacle skill usage is the only one of the skills to be available in that combat and helps a bit.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 24, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

- It seems like the Hacking skill is bugged - I thought you could use Hacking to record the fight with the Dogman at the cryo facility? At least, that's what I remember from the early beta. Has that changed?

The tape you get from fighting the dogman only comes up if you use both Strong and Melee as your options during that initial encounter. Hacking dumps another body out of cryo to be eaten from what I recall.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The option you want to deselect for Opera to not delete flash is Delete Persistant storage from what I recall.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Killed the dogman, then never found any string :( But somehow found a lighter! And then still died after getting stuck without it in a rainstorm with no wood :(

You can make string by finding any piece of clothing and breaking it down.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Tried to kill the Merga Wraith about 5 times now, with the aid of the DMC guards.

It isn't working :(

The Wraith is extremely resistant to anything but melee damage from what I remember, I managed to one-shot it with a crowbar during one of my runs from a beta version. I think it was the only shot to actually connect.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I haven't played in a while so I didn't know about the Blue Frog dudes. Then I died of the Blue Rot after killing a lot of them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Dang, once you off a DMC guard you're pretty much set for gear; it's basically a full set of clothing, armor, and two guns with ammo.

edit: Except, of course, the gas mask never has any filters for it.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 20, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

I have never found a gas mask filter. I'm beginning to believe they just don't exist.

I just edited my game files to change it so the balaclava counted as a respirator since the filters were so rare. By offing a DMC guard you get a mask anyways.

Either that or you can make it so clean rags count as a respirator, they have decently similar times to filters as to how long until they become useless.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Head to Zom Zom's, get some stuff for trading in your info, to the north eastish there's the ATN enclave which will heal you up, feed you, and be an early source of equipment/cash. For having an easier time about it you'll want to grab Strong/Melee/Trapping and then take a couple negative points to get Ranged. Myopia is the only one you can get rid of from what I remember (by replacing your eyes in Detroit)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Swamp sickness (defoliant exposure) is incurable; it's just like malaria in that it'll lie dormant for a while and then spring back up.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cheston posted:

Woah, you can replace your eyes? Gonna have to try to not get into New Vegas mode, implants are like destination #1.

Replacing your eyes costs a bundle; it's around 6 grand to replace your eyes, add night vision to them, and telescopic vision.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Several betas back I took him out with a lucky shot to the head with a crowbar, but you really don't want to be anywhere near the Merga as its practically a death sentence. DMC guards do a good job at getting a lucky shot to the head in occasionally, and if not, you can always loot their corpses.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 22, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Filthy Monkey posted:

I seem to be bad at getting places in this game. I just had a start which was pretty good. I had a backpack, plenty of warm clothes, a sling and lots of stones, a can for purifying water, one of the compact sleeping bags, a strapped crowbar, and a couple of lighters. I had taken out a few bad muthas already, as ranged + athletic seems to make keeping ahead of melee guys doable.

Then a bad mutha with a twelve gauge ambushed me. BAM. One shot and I was down and super-hosed. The second shot finished me off. I think the myopia is making it harder for me to spot people.

This is what I've been using, as a kind of 'live off the land' dude. I am far from an expert though, and sure that people here know better.

How are you supposed to, you know, not die, when a gun-wielding thing wants to gently caress you?

My go-to setup is Strong/Melee (since you get a dogman coat right off the bat), trapping (since you do really need it) and ranged. Choose whatever combination of points you need to get that. I'm not really a fan of the new point system versus the old system where you got a set number of skills and each flaw added another skill to get; there is a mod that puts that back in the game. http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/3932

Metabolism isn't actually a problem a lot of the time, since by having trapping you're usually swimming in food. Myopia you can deal with by having magnifying optics (scopes on straps) attached to your neck; later on you can replace it with
mechanical eyes from Clinic in DMC.

There's some quality of life changes I usually mod in myself every game because it's sort of annoying otherwise. Adding additional room in bow inventory is the top of that since quivers don't exist.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 22, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Hilariously if you mod your game so that you have a respirator somehow (because actually finding filters is a massive pain in the rear end under the best of circumstances) you'll see animals spawn in the Great Swamp area, get sick, and then die before they ever manage to get north of the swamp.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
See the little icon to the right of that big box in the ground inventory screen? That'll rearrange everything. If it's not in there on the ground then check your camp or if you're using a vehicle (travois usually), check that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Which mod would that be?

Open the game xml, look for items that cover your face (such as clean rags since they perform similarly to filters) or the balaclava, switch out the number 734 for item properties (which means crude air filters) for 605 (which means respirator).

You can also change it so that arrow stacks are higher or so that bows carry more ammunition, as well as changing the size of backpacks and the like. Most changes like that are pretty simple. If you want more skill points look for nskillpoints.

Also, if you manage to come up on a DMC guard at close range and have a bow with the blast away ability, it actually works pretty good. I've offed troopers within two sets of shots.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 22, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Antacids are useful when you're puking your brains out from what I remember (defoliant exposure) or are sick to your stomach.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Move one into the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cantaloupe posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with movement penalties? I'm not barefoot, overburdened, or otherwise afflicted, but every move takes twice as many turns (two on flat ground, four on forest/hills). It seems to happen in every game after a few days, and never goes away.

Are you sick at random intervals from the soup to the south? Are your shoes on the wrong feet (or you're wearing makeshift footwear?)

• Locked thread