Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terebus posted:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the botany skill is really useful. All the berries and mushrooms that you find in random tiles can be poisonous and without botany you can't know which are edible and which aren't. Take botany and use it to figure out what plants you should be eating, either that or stick to eating ketchup and gummy bears.

This isn't entirely true; Black/blue berries are always safe to eat.. It's still a very useful skill though, since you can use it while scavenging forests or fields to find more plants, and then use it to identify the safe to eat plants from those extras.

With Botany/Trapping you'll basically never need to worry about running out of food between berries/mushrooms/cured meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terebus posted:

I could be wrong but I remember that there were two types of berries that came up either poisonous or edible randomly.

Sort of:

Black/Blue berries are always safe.
Red berries are randomly poisonous or safe.
Yellow/white berries are always poisonous.
Mushrooms are randomly poisonous or safe.

One thing about the red berries is that I think they're a lot more commonly safe than poisonous, at least from my own observation, so you're better off eating them unidentified than mushrooms which are 50/50. Because of the poison risk though it's really best to only do it if you're starving to death with no other options. You could also kind of tell by trying to stack them, since safe/poisonous things don't stack even unidentified, but that's really gaming the system way more than is necessary.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, it's still really early in development. Just wait until it gets Dwarf Fortress level feature creep! :haw:

I doubt it will ever get that bad, seeing as how the game is so much more focused than DF, but it is going to be a lot easier for him to maintain a brisk update pace at this stage than later on. There just isn't as much stuff to dig through. Plus most of the updates are small features or bug fixes. I would imagine a big rework of something like combat would take much longer to get done.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
No where is completely safe to sleep; looters can walk into Junk Town. In fact one of the older bugs was that they kept picking stuff up there.

You can make noise traps Loose screws/bolts + Loose string/Wire + tin can and leave them on the ground when you sleep to act as a warning. Apparently using more than one has a stacking effect so you're safer with 2-3 of them than just one.

In the beta the hiding skill makes sleeping safely a lot easier since you can use the "sneak" option and be much harder to spot, even while asleep (it's a toggle and it just stays on until you disable it). You can also "hide" in places with poor visibility, like surrounded by hills or forests. I'm thinking that at some point you might get the ability to rest inside buildings for more security.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The way combat works is kind of mystifying. From what I understand it basically comes down to your injuries are based solely on the worst injury you've received. So if you hit an enemy five times but only deal out "injured" at worst, and he hits you one time and it's a "mortally wounded", you're way worse off than he is.

It's not quite that simple since apparently you can actually build up lesser wounds and when they max out, taking more will start to spill over to the more severe levels, so your damage taken will trend upwards over time without healing, but it ends up being very random since taking one bad hit is more influential in combat than dealing out several lesser hits. I don't even bother with combat until I get a rifle, and then I just shoot from two or so tiles away where they can't hit me back.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seashell Salesman posted:

On the other hand about 99% of roguelikes have no sanctioned save-scumming at all. Oftentimes (that is to say practically all the time) gamers will pick some option only because it is available, ruin their own experience, then judge the game based on that self-imposed bad gameplay. There is basically no one who has more fun save-scumming in a roguelike, but there are lots of people unfamiliar with the genre who will believe (despite anything that you or me or the creator tell them) that the default and proper way to play the game is save-scumming, and they will turn that option on and then complain incessantly.

One thing to bear in mind that even NetHack has "Exploration mode", which allows you to just instantly resurrect at full health when you die. It just disables high score tracking when you turn it on; I think having a "casual mode" in Roguelike style games is fine so long as it's clearly indicated that it is NOT the intended way to play.

One thing about Roguelikes though is that because death is permanent, it's also not usually as sudden as most other games. Neo Scavenger still has a bit to go before that point - dying of random diseases because you drank dirty water is fair, because that's a foreseeable consequence of your actions. Combat is still very random though and there's nothing much a player can do to improve their odds at the moment. I think for the game to be fair with permadeath, combat should probably be made a bit more strategic/skill driven, so that when a player dies it's because they made poor decisions rather than because they just got randomly killed by a strong attack.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I've had the opportunity to dick around with the new Beta Build. There are some things I really like (hotkeys and camps), but a couple other changes bug me.

The separation of the crafting and inventory screens means that the only items visible on the crafting screen are items on the ground. If you forgot to drop, say, the pot you're carrying and don't have the "recipe" for boiled water, you then have to go back to the inventory, drop the pot, then go back to crafting. It's not a big deal, just a little sloppy.

Overall, though, I can't wait until I get a chance to really put some time into testing it out this weekend. So far today I haven't gotten far because a) I'm at work :ssh: and b) I've tried out a couple gimmicky combat-centric builds and it's gone . . . not great.

Yeah pretty much any combat focused build is not going to do you any favours at the moment. I think there's just not enough to combat to really do well in it - ultimately fighting things will get you killed. The only difference the combat skills make are that it will take a couple more fights to get you killed than otherwise. It will probably be better once he takes a look at the combat system to make it a bit more interactive. I'm thinking that if he makes it work like he's described, where you can use skills and such like the very first encounter, combat skills will become a lot more useful.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PokeWarVeteran posted:

So far I've only died of mortal injury. Guess I should be more careful.

On another note, I can't seem to make a big campfire. All I can find are twigs and medium branches. never been able to find a large log or anything else wooden to try out. Am I doing something wrong?

The medium branches are the largest log available. A campfire is just stick + twigs + lighter. Small campfires are just twigs + lighter.

Unless there's a third tier that I don't know about? But a regular campfire can do anything you need from a fire so I think that's it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PokeWarVeteran posted:

OH.
I thought you had to light the small fire, then add a log to it to make a larger one (you know, like real life: light the tinder, then add larger pieces slowly until the fire sustains itself). This way works too.

Actually you can do that too (small fire + stick = big fire). As Seashell says though, it's not very useful; currently nothing you can do can actually reduce a large fire to a small fire so there's no reason to stoke it since it takes several turns for it to actually burn out enough to become a small fire - more than enough time to do everything you need with it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think camps are more to avoid getting murdered in your sleep rather than for shelter - shelter is good too but the primary purpose for camping at the moment is being hidden.

Actually an interesting addition to later versions could be more "extreme" weather patterns - from mundane stuff like snowstorms/heat waves in the winter/summer months, to more bizarre things like radioactive storms or brain wiping blast waves or something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlueBottleGames posted:

@PROTOSTORM!!! - Lol, I'll have to add a botany move in there, just because :)

Make it like using Botany in the opening encounter where you smear poisonous berries on your hands.

However since most bandits probably aren't going to know anything about botany, it's only effective if you shout "POISON FINGERS!!!!" while doing it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Robinson's Requiem would probably be a more appropriate analogy than Snake Eater (wounds in MGS3 were really just "reduces your health maximum until treated with the right object").

On an unrelated note, what's with the "No Worky" button that's been there forever? Why not just take that off the interface?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xik posted:

First peek at Wounds

• "Blood supply" shows how much blood the player has left: lose too much, and bad things happen.
  • "Immune System" shows the overall health of the player's immune system. The player can resist a certain amount without help, but below a certain value, it's downhill fast.
  • "Pain Tolerance" shows how much more pain the player can take. Like above, things worsen the lower this goes.

There is more information over on the news page but most of it is unimplemented/still being considered. Like everything BBG adds to this game, he isn't doing it "half assed" and looks like he has plenty planned for the wound system.

This looks pretty cool and is exactly what I was hoping for from an injury system. One thing that I hope you can do is improvise medical supplies; in a postapocalyptic setting it doesn't make a lot of sense that you'll find proper bandages and splints and disinfectant everywhere, so you'd have to use things like booze as disinfectant, tear up shirts to make bandages, etc. Maybe certain skills could be involved too, like botany would let you combine certain herbs to make antibiotics or other medicines.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 18, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thompsons posted:

I hope ODing and alcohol poisoning get added as new possible ways to kill yourself.

I imagine they would be. At the very least drinking too much would probably cause things like vomiting (i.e. nutrition loss, ruining your hidden status, etc.), dizziness (not really sure how this would factor in gameplay-wise outside of combat), and the other stuff usually associated with drinking too much.

I think it would be cool if you could end up getting addictions to various drugs too, a-la the Fallout games. It wouldn't be too hard to model I'd think - instead of just a random "You got addicted!" roll which is kind of silly, there could be an internal variable tracking your tolerance buildup to various chemicals - higher tolerance means less impact from smaller quantities of the drug, and longer/more severe withdrawl when you're sober as a result of having to take greater quantities to achieve the effect you want. Addiction behaviour would just develop naturally from that, forcing the player to keep themselves dosed to avoid withdrawl, or find a spot to hole up to fight through it and then stay clean for a while to let their tolerance drop back down.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's pretty darn big, but that isn't really all that significant since one forest/ruined city/abandoned village is more or less the same as another. There's really no reason to venture incredibly far afield; you can pretty much just meander around in between the handful of storyline-related sites that are already in the game, and still experience everything that's currently implemented. That said, "everything that's currently implemented" is quite cool and in-depth, and the storyline sites are spaced far enough apart to give you a really good wasteland survival/difficult journey kind of feel.

The layout of the hexes themselves is randomly generated anyway, save for a few key areas, so the world "size" is effectively infinite since starting a new game gives you entirely new tiles.

I love the new combat and wound system, it's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for, and such an improvement over the old damage model. One thing the conditions screen could use is tooltips when you mouse over injuries to make it a bit clearer what you're looking at (it's not too difficult to read right now but it seems like something that would be fairly simple to implement).

Also there seems to be a weird bug in combat where if you attack an unconscious creature, sometimes time won't advance (so you just keep clicking confirm over and over and it does the "Player attacks creature... and hits! Creature: zzz" without actually causing anything to happen). You can still get things to happen if you choose an action besides attacking or just do nothing at all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I tend not to have too much trouble hitting enemies. The last time I took the melee skill I actually did really well just using basic stuff like a cooking pot or wrench, actually having several fights where I seriously injured the enemy without taking any hits myself.

As for what I like to do in the beginning, usually it's attempting to secure basics supplies like the stuff needed to make a campfire and purify water, possibly a decent weapon (though that comes down more to luck than anything else), before heading off to the glow.

What are some things that people would like to see in the game in the more distant future?

One thing I've been thinking about is how the start screen has "Basic Human" listed for the first four skill slots, which got me thinking about mutations from games like ADOM or Crawl, or Caves of Qud. I don't think the game should have race selection or anything, but maybe there could be the possibility of picking up mutations during play (which could be either beneficial or harmful, but are totally random) by being exposed to radiation or something. It would be a bit of a fine line because you'd need to get enough exposure to radiation to get dosed but not enough that you'd just die from it (maybe chronic exposure would be more likely to mutate you than sudden intense exposure). If you wanted to avoid mutating you could wear appropriate hazmat suits when entering highly contaminated areas, and if you are exposed to quickly flush your system with various anti-radiation drugs (which would probably have a bunch of temporary nasty side effects while they're working, like vomiting or increased food/water consumption, since purging your system is not a gentle process).

Basically, the general idea would be that mutations, once acquired, would be like extra skills/disabilities that couldn't be acquired any other way, and like existing skills might even open up unique interactions with things depending on their effect.

Some other minor ideas I've had:
-Medkits should, instead of just being basic consumable items, be containers that spawn decently stocked with various useful medical supplies like clean bandages, different kinds of pills, etc. The current nanokit effect could still exist in the form of an autoinjector (which would also have a chance of spawning in a new medkit). The idea would be that finding a medkit would give you a nice supply base for dealing with sickness/injuries, but they'd also be pretty rare so you wouldn't be able to rely on them for the whole game.
-It's kind of silly, but it would be awesome/hilarious if you could amputate your own limbs if they get badly infected, a-la Robinson's Requiem. Obviously this would be a big deal and give you a pretty significant penalty (maybe one that could be slightly compensated for if you had say, crutches, which you could equip as a "vehicle" if you were short a leg), but it's just one of those things that would make the game more interesting by virtue of being available, even if in practice nobody would ever use it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 5, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hate to double post but my last post was a while ago so I don't want to just keep tacking on more edits. I just ran into a rather amusing bug:

I can only assume it's a bug, since I was only mildly injured at worst (a few bruises and cuts, the latter of which were bandaged with clean rags), and hadn't eaten/drank anything poisonous or contaminated that I recall. Even if I did, I didn't have any symptoms leading up to pooping myself to death. It was just "End turn -> Death by Diarrhea"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

bisonbison posted:

I was thinking something like this:

- Sort the actions into categories
- arrange the categories logically given their effect on range and from most defensive to most offensive
- display last action clearly
- hopefully make injuries very obvious/set apart as well (not shown)

I like this mockup, although I don't know if the distance indicator at the bottom is very necessary - the range is already pretty visible just with the number, and I think the game itself only really cares about your distance from the enemy. Whether or not you escape depends entirely on that and not on your distance from the edge of the tile or something, which isn't tracked.

As for injuries, they're also kind of covered by "Conditions", although it might be helpful to have a gauge for the player showing overall pain level rather than just having "Extreme pain" show up when it hits critical. On the enemy, conditions could also display highly visible injuries (eg. "Gaping wound on arm", "Cut forehead", etc.), to give you an idea of how much you've hurt them. Maybe limit it to only the three most visible wounds or so to keep it from generating huge lists of every minor scratch that happens to not be covered by clothing. This might also be helpful even at the start of fights, since enemies often don't start at perfect health. If you see a guy bleeding from the jugular as soon as you encounter them, you can probably bet they're going to avoid engaging you and you don't have to worry too much about them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seashell Salesman posted:

Rated. Hope it makes it, it's only at 1% right now.

To be honest, while I think it would be awesome for NEO to be sold on Steam when it's done, it seems a bit premature now. I know that's kind of what Greenlight is all about but it just seems like it will be harder to get support the less complete a game actually is (though NEO at least has screenshots and an actual playable demo, so that's better than a lot of other Greenlight stuff so far!)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

Man, I gotta say this is right up my alley. I discovered this through the greenlight thingy and had some good fun with the demo so far.

After several deaths against dogmen and barefoot looters, I managed to get a char up and running. Even got a scoped rifle with a sling, a few bullets, backpack, tools, medkit, food, water and a sleeping bag. I was very happy until I opened my medical screen.
Internal bleeding? Blood loss? Infected wounds? Sepsis?!
:ohdear:

I did what I could but..."Death by infection"

I'll probably throw my money at this, after trying the demo a bit more.

Any tips for a decent beginner build? My most successful run was Insomnia/fast metabolism - strong/hacking/lockpick/hide/melee/ranged.

Kind of based that on my Fallout experience. :)

Fast metabolism is kind of a killer but if you're good at scavenging food and water you can probably live through it.

As a fair warning, in the current state of the game, the skills hacking, electrician, and mechanic don't do anything outside of the initial encounter, so they aren't too useful at the moment (though obviously this is liable to change in the future since development on the game is so active). Otherwise most of the skills you can take are pretty good if you know how to use them. They generally break down into categories (which I've just made up, but they make sense):

Food/Survival:
-Botany
-Trapping
-Slow Metabolism (Doesn't get you more food like the other two, but makes you need less, so...)
-Medic
-Hiding

Exploration:
-Tracking
-Athletic
-Eagle Eye
-Strong
-Lockpick

Combat:
-Melee
-Tough
-Ranged

It's up to you if you want to mix and match categories or take more than one from each, but there are a few combos that just don't make sense to take together, like ranged/melee or botany/trapping. Nothing is preventing you from taking those together but since they do very similar things you probably only need one.

A good starter build is Medic/Slow Metabolism/Athletic/Tough and then Insomnia/your choice (botany is a good one). It will let you be pretty good all around and help you live long enough to figure the game out a bit more. Feel free to mess with other skills though - I rarely play two games in a row using the same setup since I like to just see what I can do with anything.

Actually it would be a nice feature to have a "Pick random skills" button when you start the game, to give you that real Roguelike feeling of having to just roll with what the RNG gods give you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mechanic seems like something that could be very useful if cars are ever added (the only vehicle at the moment is shopping carts, right?) although non-mechanics should still be able to use them, maybe they wouldn't be able to repair them if they break down and would have to abandon them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's still a ways off, but he updates the beta really frequently. It's a lot like Minecraft when it was back in beta, where it's labelled as "beta" but the game is completely playable and relatively bug-free - most of what needs to be done for "release" is content-related.

It's kind of hard to judge because the feature list is still malleable - like there's a loose list of what features the game will have but if someone makes a good suggestion or there's just enough general community interest in one area, he'll expand it. He does seem to be a lot better at managing feature creep than Toady (of Dwarf Fortress) though, so I do expect the game to actually be "done" eventually.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man. I love all the new additions but I've yet to actually encounter any of it since I suck so badly at surviving ever since the more detailed wound and combat system went in. Which is kind of ironic since I was one of the people asking for those features!

One if these days I'll figure out the trick to not dying. I think my problem is I'm way too territorial about scavenging. Any time I attract a bandit when looting I always have this pathological need to get the stuff I found, so I'll fight pretty much every time, and even if I do smarten up and run away, I tend to stick around the area to try to get back to the looted hex, which usually just leads to more fights with the same bandit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can also do the same thing with rivers/lakes and water, which is super nice since it was bizarrely difficult to find unbottled water before, except for just after it rained.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Yes please!

The combat can be utterly badass, but I'd like to add one little tiny thing for atmosphere: after you kill an opponent, show a shot of their pixellated corpse. Not for the :black101: factor, but because if I just beat someone to death for their shoes, that would add some more emotional impact.

It should show up as loot in the tile, X-Com style. I don't know why you'd want to pick up a dead body and take it with you mind, but who knows? I'm sure someone will be able to think of a use for them in the post-apocalyptic wasteland :chef:.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So there might need to be some kind of global limit on how many melonheads can arrive as backup within a particular time period:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonny Retro posted:

I've never actually stayed to fight one of those little guys because they creep me out. I'm starting to think that was a wise choice.

They're actually huge wimps. 90% of the time they just run away and if they do stay and fight, they're pretty terrible at it (I think basically all of them have both fragile and feeble?)

Their special ability is that they can summon other Melonheads for help. I think what happened in that screenshot is because it was nighttime, they couldn't find me to attack, so they just kept summoning more and more allies in, who then summoned allies of their own and so on. Even that ridiculous mob of them really isn't that threatening; I was in combat with about 10 of them at once and all they did was either try to flee blindly, summon more help, or get beaten to death by me. I haven't bumped into any Enfield Horrors yet (the other new monster), but judging by the name they sound a bit more dangerous.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Odds are pretty high that more stuff will be added; he just posted that content is the biggest portion of the game still unfinished, so I think that will be fleshed out quite a bit in the upcoming months.

As for dying of hypothermia early, if it's raining outside you can hide out in the cryo facility for a bit and wait for it to stop. Lighting fires is also a source of warmth, although you need to find a lighter first (can you make fires via the "rubbing sticks together" method yet? I'm not sure)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe some of the trapping stuff should be split off into other skills? One that comes to mind is skinning/curing animals could be added to the tracking skill, and then rename it to "hunting". Making fires could be covered under botany and have it be called "foraging" or something (I'm not sure what making fires would have to do with foraging, but you can kind of see the fire from sticks = plants connection I'm making).

Maybe just have some of those broadly useful abilities granted by more than one skill, so you can skin animals if you have trapping OR hunting, since it's relevant to both.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

My biggest problem with the combat as of now, is how hard it is to gauge what state you or enemies are actually in. At the beginning of my last game, I encountered a bandit shortly after leaving the cryo lab. He had a crowbar, while I had a metal pot. I decided to engage instead of running. Risky, yes, but I also had strong&tough so I chanced it. Well, I fought with him for a while, landing many good blows while only taking a few minor hits. He even fled twice, and I hunted him down. The result? When I caught up to him for the third time, I just died of internal bleeding. It's also kinda weird how much damage he could take, while I apparently was hosed as soon as he caused that internal wound. Yeah, a metal pot is clearly not as dangerous as a crowbar, but I got much more hits in(Flurry, headbuts, normal strikes.)

Like, is there even a menu where I can check for conditions like that? I dominated the bandit pretty hard, only to keel over out of the blue. :v:

The tipoff for internal bleeding is if you cough up blood. If that happens you should really try to avoid combat because it's a serious blood loss risk.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think for priority sorting of auto crafting, it would be fine if it fits the "90%" case. That is to say that 90% of the time, what the auto crafting chooses is what the player would have picked manually. For the other 10%, it's fine to just have to pick your ingredients manually, since it's not going to be that common and I think people are generally not annoyed with having to do things a bit manually when the circumstances are unusual (for example in the sleeping bag example you gave, it's not a big deal if that one time you actually do want to burn your sleeping bag as fuel that you have to drag it over).

It gets a bit tricky I guess when it comes to stuff that's used for a lot of different things, but it's not as if you have to actually figure out a unique priority for every item in the game. Stuff like sticks or dirty water are easy to get, so they would probably be safe as a high priority choice no matter what the situation.

*edit* something that might be a convenient feature - for ranged weapons, maybe have it skip over ammo types you aren't actually carrying when selecting the attack type? There's not a lot of point in having to cycle past a bunch of "x0" ammo options when you want to switch to a melee attack.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 26, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

- If you want to make the mechanic skill more appealing, you could allow it to repair guns. Like, with some scrap wood or metal.

I like this idea; maybe something similar could be done with electrician and electronic items (there aren't many at the moment so I guess all you could really use it for is NVG, but I imagine more fitting stuff will be added later). Actually one thing that might be nice with electrician is perhaps some way to recharge batteries by cobbling together electronic scrap. It seems like most of the time I find them or something containing them, they have no charge in them.

Tin Tim posted:

- I was under the impression that items in the Cryo Lab campsite would be safe, and couldn't be stolen. But it happened to me. Two bandits attacked me while I was standing on the lab. One fled pretty early, since I had a bow, and the other got away with mortal wounds. Both were one hex away, on opposite sides after that. I checked my campsite and it was almost empty! Like, a bunch of really good stuff just vanished. I tracked and killed both of my attackers, and recovered some of my items. But a good portion of stuff just vanished. Could another bandit have stolen items while I was fighting the others? Or is the campsite just not safe after all?

I know that the hiding skill lets you see the campsite's concealment score - I think this only applies to players using it at the moment, but what if that value applied to items stashed at a campsite too? So if you wanted to keep things safe from looting, you go to the camp screen and add them to the site, and NPCs entering that hex would have to pass some kind of check against the camp's concealment to be able to loot them.

Related to camp sites, one thing that's still getting me a lot is early game hypothermia since I can't manage to find enough clothing in time to not die - especially if it's raining. Does hanging out in a hex with a campsite treat you as actually being IN that camp site? If they have good "shelter" scores (like the cryo lab), you should be protected from the rain even if you aren't sleeping there I'd think. It might help with the problem a lot of people get where if it starts raining in the first couple of turns, you're pretty much guaranteed to die unless you picked the right skills at the start to be able to quickly make a fire or kill and skin the dogman (trapping for the former and trapping + eagle eye + melee/strong for the latter). It's just kind of annoying to get stuck with a bunch of false starts because you get bad luck with loot.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 27, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was thinking about the oddness of the fact that you can pick up arrows you've just shot at people during combat earlier. I like that arrows are reusable (although they currently don't seem to take durability damage, which strikes me as a bug), but it's kind of weird that you can somehow hoover them up from 30 (distance units) away and fire them again.

A solution that I think would be quite interesting would be, rather than simply dropping on the ground after being fired, ranged attacks would actually "stick" to the target, needing to be removed on the medical screen. For arrows stuck in enemies, they could be retrieved by looting the unconscious enemy (which would mean you'd actually have to get close), or they'd just end up on the ground when they die. Having an arrow sticking out of someone would probably provide some kind of combat penalty too, since moving around with a big piece of wood in your leg would be pretty painful, so it would be a good way to debilitate enemies before moving in to melee range.

I like this idea because it could apply to other ranged attacks too, like bullets. Being shot would not only be a serious wound, but would leave behind shrapnel that would prevent the wound from healing properly, and would have to be removed using a knife or pliers, or a visit to the medical center in the DMC for proper surgery. Arrows could just be removed by hand, but doing so would probably cause a temporary increase in bleeding so you'd want to be careful about when you did it. Bullets plucked out of a wound would obviously not be reusable, but they could still be an interesting item that would have similar uses as rocks or pebbles (noise traps, sling ammo, etc). Plus anything that reminds me of MGS3 I tend to like.

I also had an unrelated thought after a recent game where I sustained a frankly hilarious amount of punishment over time without dying (seriously; during the game I'd had both my arms and legs broken, huge gaping wounds, food poisoning from eating rotten meat, and somehow managed to pull through all of it!) - there really needs to be an "offer surrender" option in combat. When both my legs got broken, it prevented me from having any chance of getting away from the enemy, and I really wasn't in a position to fight back either, but I didn't really have any other option besides just lying there and having him beat me more. In those kinds of situations it would be nice to be able to manually surrender to the enemy and just take the item loss rather than even more damage before he knocks me out and loots me anyway.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlueBottleGames posted:

Finally, if anyone is interested, I've posted a question on reddit which involves NEO Scavenger. There's more info here:

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/1861

If you're up for a philisophical NEO Scavenger discussion, feel free to drop into the reddit thread!

Thanks again!

To add to the comment I left on that news post, there's currently a Let's Play of King of Dragon Pass going on these forums, here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561056

The last one was filled with a ton of interesting information about the setting and lore, a lot of which would be directly relevant to the topic of the Reddit post (which I'll avoid mentioning here for spoiler reasons). It's archived here with all the various lore posts included.

Also, I don't know if it's possible to do this with your system, but could you have missed arrows/sling stones/etc. get placed in tiles adjacent to the current combat tile? That would prevent them from being picked up by the player and fired again during the fight, but would allow them to retrieve the ammo after the fight ends by moving. There should still probably be a chance of ammo just disappearing on a miss to represent the player character just plain not being able to figure out where the hell that shot went (maybe have Eagle Eye reduce the odds of that happening?)

*edit*
Yeah, I was mentioning that in response to the fact that misses are lost within the new system - I like the ammo sticking idea (I should - I suggested it!) for hits, and I was just brainstorming on how to do something similar for misses without just losing the ammo forever. I guess it really only matters for arrows - I mean a rock is a rock. You don't need to go and track down the one you just fired from your sling. Just find another one! Arrows are easy to craft but the professional broadhead ones have to be found, I believe, so it would be good to be able to reuse them until they just fall apart.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 17, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it probably won't be so bad; this is a niche game, everything about it says it's a niche game, so you probably aren't going to get random people just buying it and then complaining on the Steam forums since the only people who are likely to be interested are the kinds of people who would like this game anyway.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
When you're making content for the game, are you setting it up so that a player could (potentially) see everything in one run (not counting things that are mutually exclusive paths anyway, I mean on a broader encounter level), or is it set up so there's a bit of randomness in whether or not certain events/areas can occur at all? Given the Roguelike nature of the game, it might be kind of neat to set it up so that it's possible to just not encounter a bunch of stuff in one play, so that players starting a new game can potentially see things they've never seen before.

On the other hand, that means more work for you to design content that not everyone might see. I guess it depends on how quickly you're able to design and implement the encounters. The thought just occurred to me because of the post you linked - I had no idea that was in the game, and it's always neat hearing about stuff from other players that I've never seen before. It's the kind of thing that makes me want to pick up a game months after I've finished it and give it another go.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

People get absolutely absurdly intimidated if you are wearing a dogman pelt. The only times I've actually died are to raiders with guns.

Makes sense really. It's like "You know those monsters that can take several bullets to the chest without slowing down and tear you in half with one swipe of their claws? I'm wearing one."

Certainly more intimidating than a coat made of squirrel pelts.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Melonheads:

(That picture is from a while ago. I don't think they're QUITE so bad now)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Are you sure you aren't being poisoned by eating unidentified berries, mushrooms, or unboiled water? Cooked meat shouldn't poison you. There is a side effect to eating too much human - you become addicted to it, and your hunger meter drains faster than before - but that's it.

Is that what happens? I was hoping there was a chance you could end up with kuru. Although I guess technically it's not actually CAUSED by cannibalism, just transmitted by it (i.e. the person you eat has to already have it). Still, that would certainly be an interesting consequence to cannibalism!

The Lord Bude posted:

I just had an idea - There should be an ability to craft shields, to go with our spears.

That would be nice, although it would probably necessitate new mechanics for handing "off-hand" defensive items. Does thicker clothing in the game actually give you more protection in combat? I've never quite been able to tell. I imagine better armour is probably planned for some point, as it's hard to imagine everyone just running around wearing hoodies and jeans and nobody thinking to strap some trash can lids to themselves or scrounging around an old police station for riot armour.

I'd also like to see friendly characters, although not necessarily as travelling partners - I like the idea of there being some possibility of bandits/raiders being willing to trade with you rather than always fighting. What would make it interesting is that you'd never really be sure whether or not a bandit is hostile on first contact, and the interaction would all be handled through the combat interface, so you'd have to try to gauge their actions as being aggressive or not (and at the same time not charging in too aggressively yourself, since even if they are friendly, if you intimidate them they might become hostile). I imagine it like every meeting with another human being a very tense standoff initially as you both try to get a read on each other and decide whether or not you can trust them when they say they're friendly (since of course they might lie as a ruse to get in close to attack you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlueBottleGames posted:

I'm iffy on the poisoned weapons idea, actually. Quite a few folks have mentioned it, but I'm not certain if it would work like that in practice. Granted, I haven't done a ton of research on it, either. I could be wrong. My expectations, though, are that poisoned weapons are more fantasy trope, and provide minor, much-delayed effects if any.

I think for this it depends very much on the kind of poison being used. A lot of ingested poisons are very slow acting, and wouldn't have noticeable effects when used on weapons at all (things like berries/mushrooms/etc.). However some poisons and venoms produced by animals can be VERY fast acting; the poison dart frog for example gets its name from the fact that the indigenous people would use the toxin secreted on their skin as coating for blowdarts. Curare is also a real life plant that was used as a poison on weapons, where it would cause paralysis and potentially death via asphyxiation because of a paralyzed diaphragm. It all depends on the actual mechanism of the poison itself - some are absorbed through skin, some require direct injection into the bloodstream, etc.

You'd probably have to do some research on poisonous plants/animals in the Detroit area to see how realistic it would actually be to find anything that could be used like that where the game takes place, but it's not an entirely fictional concept.

*edit*

Something I just remembered that's totally unrelated but I keep meaning to ask about : Do you have any plans to have difficulty adjustment options in the game at any point? One thing about the game I always find kind of silly is how broken limbs will heal up in a matter of days. I totally understand it from a gameplay perspective, but it might be interesting when starting a new game to have some kind of option list for how "hardcore" you want the game to be. Injury recovery time could be one of the adjustable options, but there could also be tons of other things like hostile encounter rates, scarcity of food/supplies, etc. all as separate parameters, so if you wanted a game with lots of enemies around but quick recovery times for a very combat oriented run, you could do that, or if you wanted a harsh scavenging challenge you could turn encounters and supplies way down so that you're practically the only person in the wastes, etc.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 25, 2014

• Locked thread