Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Man, I gotta say this is right up my alley. I discovered this through the greenlight thingy and had some good fun with the demo so far.

After several deaths against dogmen and barefoot looters, I managed to get a char up and running. Even got a scoped rifle with a sling, a few bullets, backpack, tools, medkit, food, water and a sleeping bag. I was very happy until I opened my medical screen.
Internal bleeding? Blood loss? Infected wounds? Sepsis?!
:ohdear:

I did what I could but..."Death by infection"

I'll probably throw my money at this, after trying the demo a bit more.

Any tips for a decent beginner build? My most successful run was Insomnia/fast metabolism - strong/hacking/lockpick/hide/melee/ranged.

Kind of based that on my Fallout experience. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Fast metabolism is kind of a killer but if you're good at scavenging food and water you can probably live through it.

Yeah, discovered that just now. It's especially bad with insomnia as you quickly get troubles with three bars if you don't really know what you're doing. :)

Kind of a bummer that the tech skills are not useful right now. Botany proved to be quite handy, though I was baffled that you have to identify each thingy of a stack. Quite the turn waster. I would like to be able to batch identify stacks, if only for ease of gameplay.

The UI could need some more work, in terms of flow. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it's a hassle to dump stuff on the ground only to have it appear in the medical tab for use. Maybe the medkit could show up there?

In general the UI seems very click-intensive, but I assume that will get streamlined during development.

Also the ground inventory could use a "auto sort". I found a forest hex with 5 different locations to scavenge. Suffice to say that the window became cluttered really fast and I had to sort it manually. I died before I could see if the window would stretch, once it's filled.

If not, than this should be done as I had to shuffle items from my player to the ground often and it would be a nuisance if the ground would not have enough space to put down your weapon or whatever.

But, I died over ten times and am still playing. So this has potential to become awesome!

E:

Did I just die to three different causes? drat Dogmans :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 3, 2012

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Still having lots of fun with this! But a little documentation on the items couldn't hurt. Like, does Bark Tea have something which makes it better than pure water?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Seeing how you present yourself in this thread, BlueBottleGames, greatly increased my faith in this project. :)

I'll trow some money your way, once I can afford it. I was hesitant at first because, as others have pointed out, the beta is a bit light on content for :10bux: .
I personally would also like to see more firearms/gear but fully understand your priorities.

Honestly, I fell like I've already gotten my future money's worth out of the demo. Especially after I discovered that you can make a player base in the Cryo lab, I really want to save my game now. :v:

A short question, will enemies loot items on the "ground" of the lab? I stuffed my treasure into the camp site just to be sure. Before I realized that a good stash is useless without a savegame.

Nice to hear that you/players have similar thoughts on the UI. A "trashcan" function would also help with reducing the clutter from boots, clothes and what have you. As scavening respawns, I tend to revisit especially good hex combinations. Or you could be really mean and remove the respawning. :ohdear:

In any case, I'll pimp this in the next update of my LP. It's about another post apoc game and we had a short discussion about how the majority of those games shower the player with loot and how the dangers of the wasteland aren't really dangerous after some hours of gameplay. This game really is something different and should meet the taste of the folks involved in that discussion.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Xik posted:

You can now delete items. See the added delete action to the normal item manipulation bar. There is also a bunch of bug fixes incoming:
  • Fixed bug which caused scavenge locations to pile up in hexes over time.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause rotated items to glitch and look weird if rotated while dragging and then released.
  • Fixed a bug that caused squirrel meat to turn into spoiled squirrels when consumed (fixes some other items as well).

:golfclap:

InfiniteJesters posted:

I'm trying it right now and I heartily approve.

I like the "threaten" option. So far it's saved me the effort of having to otherwise actually fight seemingly a dozen bandits. Or the same 3-4 bandits repeatedly working up a surge of gumption.

Yeah, threaten is very useful to scare of a weaker bandit. They can still cause you a nasty injury, even when unarmed. A Dogman can also be scared away, if you have injured him a bit.

"Take cover" has saved me a lot of battles so far. Take it as your first action and there is a high chance that a weaker guy will bail right away.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Also, for any of us not native to the region, it turns out that the dogman is An Actual Thing in Michigan.

That's some neat trivia right there.

Also as you seem to have another update in the works, BlueBottleGames, how about adding the sling with floss/strings to the crowbar?
Would be cool if you could sling it, instead of dropping when you need your hands for whatever.

I would have posted that on your forum, but the site seems to be down at the moment. :ohdear:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

farting around in full Hobo King squirrel-hide regalia and surrounded by 6 bonfires to try to attract things to shoot at.
GOTY :black101:

The Vampirate posted:

Every time I have a longish game of this I suddenly get sick even when it shows nothing on conditions, can't cool myself down even when I strip naked in an open field, and overheat and die of organ failure. Pretty major bug, but love the game.

Never really had that expierence, but it could be the late repercussions of drinking dirty water. I once developed an ilness out of nowhere and then remebered I drank that poo poo because I was parched early on. Or it could develop from resting in the open without a tent or sleeping bag, but that's just a guess. Checking your Imune system bar often also helps to prevent ilness.

The only time I got heat issues was after drinking that soft drink, but it went away after a turn or two.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I wouldn't put it so drastically. But a lighter is pretty much the most important item do not die of thirst, cold or get sick.

The thing is, you are very likely to find one if you hunt for forest hexes which have a hut on them. But if the hex only contains a shed(or none at all) your chance drops drastically. It also seems very rare to find one in a city hex.

A "solution" to this could be to up the chance to find a lighter in a city. Maybe spawn lighters with less fluid in citys and keep the good ones in forest huts.

An alternate way to light fires could be neat but would have to be a worse solution to not make lighters obsolete. Like making a fire with rubing sticks on a pice of wood to light some leaves could take more turns.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

:allears:

I like everything about this update.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Orgone Accumulator posted:

I wish he'd change the combat interface to a Heroes-style hex grid.
Yes, yes, motherfucking yes! I have no insight on the technical possibility, but now I realy want that to happen.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Love the art style!

I'm pretty excited to see all the new things he's been working on. With a bit more content the game surely will draw much more players.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

My biggest problem with the combat as of now, is how hard it is to gauge what state you or enemies are actually in. At the beginning of my last game, I encountered a bandit shortly after leaving the cryo lab. He had a crowbar, while I had a metal pot. I decided to engage instead of running. Risky, yes, but I also had strong&tough so I chanced it. Well, I fought with him for a while, landing many good blows while only taking a few minor hits. He even fled twice, and I hunted him down. The result? When I caught up to him for the third time, I just died of internal bleeding. It's also kinda weird how much damage he could take, while I apparently was hosed as soon as he caused that internal wound. Yeah, a metal pot is clearly not as dangerous as a crowbar, but I got much more hits in(Flurry, headbuts, normal strikes.)

Like, is there even a menu where I can check for conditions like that? I dominated the bandit pretty hard, only to keel over out of the blue. :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the heads up. Looking back at it, it's possible that I got carried away and didn't catch a status message or payed enough attention. The lure of that crowbar, and my feeling of badassery may have clouded my mind.

Anyway, I'll pay more attention in the future! :)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I finally caved and bought the beta version, hope my :10bux: will help you make the game more awesome, Dan! I gotta say, your open and frequent contact with your players is what mostly convinced me to jump in. I was away from the game for a while, and after checking out the latest demo build, I see that you did a great job so far. Lots of new stuff for me to discover, and you better believe that I was scared when a swarm of Deer got attracted by my scavenging noises. :)

However, the game wanted to thank me in its very own way...

After like ten or so failed runs, I finally managed to survive for two days. And then this happened.. :qq:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So, I managed to lose my Botany skill in 0.97b :v:

IIRC, the only thing I did with it was crafting a bow. So maybe it didn't automatically return when I left the crafting screen? Btw, the recepie for the bow is really too easy. Shouldn't it take more than some bits of string? Like, wood for instance?

I would also appreciate it, if known recepies would be persistent bewteen runs. Yeah, it kinda goes against the fresh start idea, but it would be really convenient for players. Saves me the trouble of remembering the more complex combos, or looking them up on the net.

After doing a bunch of combat, I've started to collect a lot of thoughts on the system. But I want to let them sit for a while, before I write them down. Right now, my main gripe is the lack of feedback. Like, you're basically just pushing buttons which isn't that exciting. Yeah, there are tense battles, but that's due to circumstances. I think you could spice it up a bit by maybe adding a few soundbites? Like some battle noises, grunts and that kind of thing. If I'm not totally mistaken, you're not too happy with the system yourself, right? But you shouldn't beat yourself over it, since you're doing a heck of a job for a mostly one man operation. It has a lot of room to grow.

Minor bugs

- I can use the night vision googles for scavening even if they have no power

- When I click on my crafting tab, I often have one of my items immediately jump to my cursor. Maybe related to me playing at a higher resolution? (1360x768)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

I had a pretty good run, 5 days and 10 hours. I was planning to stay in the cryo facility for a long time but was forced out when an army of bandits surrounded me
Bandit groups seem to be pretty much a game ruiner, if you're not armed really well or have Athletic to flee. :ohdear:

On that topic, it may be worthwile to fudge the spawn table a little bit, so that a starting player has a higher chance to meet Looters or Melon Heads, instead of Bandits and Raiders. I know that the randomness plays a big role in this, but I seem to consistently get hosed over by tough enemies while having found next to nothing.

This was a particularly bad situation. I mean, look at how close I am to the spawn point. And at least one of those jerks had a gun. Now, I admit that I attracted some of them while scavening. I had to chance it, as I was on the way to freezing to death after getting caught by rain. But it just spiraled downward from there. I guess what I want to say is that this wasteland seems suspiciously well populated, and that the tough enemies kinda force me to start more runs in close succession than I would like.

Of course I died. But in a way that maybe wasn't intended by Dan. I'm gonna spoiler it, since it deals with the hidden effect of an item.

When the swarm caught me, I got knocked out by them. I was pretty happy, since I surely didn't expect to survive. But then I realized that one of them stole my amulet. Yeah, this spawned the "gently caress-you ghost" and he murdered me. I had a good laugh, but at the same time it seems like something that shouldn't happen.

But I also have something nice to say, since I discovered two random encounters. Pretty cool stuff, Dan! I'm going to put some words about them in a spoiler, so don't read it if you're new to this. :ssh:

One of them was the pregnant bandit lady, and I saved her child. Now, I had Medic, but can't say if that influenced the encounter. Would be sweet if it did, though. I kinda expect it from a game like this, and think other people also do. This is also why I left the screaming woman to the slavers in the other encounter. I had no hiding skill, and assumed my chances to therefore be very bad. It would also have been neat if the bandit lady encounter would have a chance to give a small reward for saving the baby. Like, maybe they toss you a piece of meat or a bottle with dirty water?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the heads-up, Dan! I'm really looking forward to 0.974, and restrain myself from playing too much till then. I've been making notes while playing, so I'll just drop a few things here. :)

- I may have found a way to safely drink dirty water. I had to do it a few times, so I figured if I pop antibiotics I won't get sick from it. I tried that a few times, drinking like 6+ drops of dirty water, and never got sick.

- It would be nice if I could just kill an unconscious target, instead of attacking till it dies.

- Having pill bottles show the exact number would be sweet. So people that want to carry them, have an easier time checking their stock.

- While the game is in beta, a periodic autosave could be helpful. I had it crash a few times, erasing hours of progress.

- When you place a medium fire in the crafting tab, it sometimes will only produce one ash. You have to place it again, sometimes more often, to have it make two.

- My recepies sometimes stop working from the known tab. Pretty hard to say why, but I've mostly seen it on longer games. You can kinda break it by accident though. If you craft something from the known tab, and then take the items from the result tab, the known tab stops working. It gets fixed once you leave the crafting menu though. This could maybe build up to a bug on longer games?

I also have some questions

- Can cured meat spoil? I thought it couldn't but saw it in my last game. It was also kinda random, so that's why I ask.

- Do enemies have a real "life"? Like, they pick up stuff when travelling on the map I think. But are they affected by other conditions like weather and food?

- Is there a way to find out what melee weapon is better than the other? Like, a cleaver should obviously be better than a wrench. But how does it relate to a crowbar or spears?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Xik posted:

:frogsiren:New Demo and Beta Builds:frogsiren:
:woop:

BlueBottleGames posted:

Re: killing an unconscious target, have you tried melee flurry? I don't think I've ever had to use that move more than once on an unconscious target to kill it.
Nah, I haven't. Mainly because I use flurry very rarely. Thing is, while it's very powerful, I tend to miss most of the time. Even with Melee skill and vulnerable targets. Flurry is a bit weird in general, as it seems overpowered in some regard. For instance, I got killed by a raider with his bare fists after he landed a flurry. I was fully equipped and had slashed him with a cleaver a bunch of times. Still, I got a concussion, internal bleeding from a hit in the leg, and kicked the bucket. I'll give it a try on the next unconscious dude. :)

BlueBottleGames posted:

Do creatures have a real life? As much as possible, yes. They are affected by all the same conditions that the player is, so they can freeze, starve, and perish from thirst. They sleep when they're tired (and will prefer day/night depending on nocturnalism). They also choose a home hex, and those that use items will bring loot back to it, creating a hoard. Finally, some species respect a leader/alpha, and will follow it around.
Wow, that's really impressive! I honestly hoped for something like this, and played like an rear end in a top hat towards the AI. See, when I scavenge stuff, I always destroy what I can't use so the AI will not benefit from it. No new pants for you, Mr. Bandit! Also, I intentionally leave poison berries/shrooms in a hex, while hoping that some dumb bandit will eat them. :devil:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The new version seems pretty swell so far!

My first game had a really rough start, but I managed to turn it around. It seems like that's mostly due to fleeing from combat working better than before, and I also seem to trip less while running. Though I have Athletic, so it may be worse for other players. I found no clothes on the first day, got beaten up real hard by bandits and only managed to find a meat cleaver and a pot. No plastic bag, bottles or anything else. I had to hustle to get the materials for a fire to the Cryo lab, and then butchered the Dogman corpse. I usually don't like to do that on the first day, since you waste meat by not having ash for curing some of it. But I needed that drat coat, as I had nasty hypothermia.

The meat sustained me for the next day, and I slowly managed to collect items and improve my situation. I still ran from a bunch of encounters, and only stabbed stuff at range with my spear if I really had to. The spear is a pretty good weapon, when you can manage to stay at range three, or fall back/sprint when you're not. Of course, multiple enemies will still wreck you, but single combat is manageable if you're smart about the commands. It's also a great tool for running away. A nasty stab can hinder an opponent for a turn, and gives you the opportunity to sprint away from him.

Now I'm sitting on day three, and things look pretty okay.

This may become my most successful run so far, provided that I don't get cocky. :)

Some things I discovered..

- I somehow managed to have items disapear when I placed them on the ground. It started from the medical tab, and spread from there. It got fixed though after I saved and reloaded.

- The context command for take/drop stopped working for me once. A reload didn't fix it, but moving to another hex did.

- When boiling water from the known tab, the game wants to use electric charges, despite there being a fire. That would be a waste, and I'm also not sure how I feel about being able to boil water with the charges of an AA battery.

- It's cool that you can boil water in a whisky bottle but I think there should be a downside to it. Like, let the bottle only boil one drop at a time, the soup can two, and the pot three. This way, the player still has more options for boiling, but the pot stays valuable.

- The game also sometimes selected purified water for the tripple boiling, which it shouldn't do.

- If you craft the same recepies from the known tab in succession(like water or meat) it sometimes won't work right. Usually when you're down to the last copies of the items you use. You expend time, and the recepie seems to work, but the result does not appear in your inventory. I tried to cook the same piece of meat for like four times, till I noticed that it wasn't happening.

- My savegame seems to get nuked by my CC cleaner. Is there a way to avoid this?

Also, I had a small idea for better feedback during combat. I get kinda tired from reading the log after most turns. If you hit but don't cause any effect, you have to look into the log to know it. But a very basic animation for hit&miss could spice that up. Like, when somebody is hit, a red slash could appear over the model for a moment, or a punchy thing for blunt weapons. And missing could be shown with an empty swipe or something. But I envision these animations/graphics as a really basic thing. Like, on the level of RPGmaker animations, you know?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Hah, I totally forgot that there is a third spear. :)

But you actually don't need trapping for it. The cleaver works as a tool, but you also need something sharp to make the tip from.

Angry Diplomat posted:

edit: oh man, I see you've got some of the new ammo types. It was a downer in the initial test version to find all these pistols, revolvers, shotguns, and so forth, but not a single round for any of them in all the world.
Man, in a failed game with the previous build, I got like five different ammo types from a single forest shack. I was so happy, but never had such luck again. In that screen, I have shotgun slugs and .308 rilfe rounds. But IIRC, you can see the different ammo types for each weapon by cycling throgh the attack modes. I still wait for the day when I find some buckshot. :black101:

E: The shotgun in my stash also has a funny story to it. I got it from kiling a banged up raider. He just charged at me, so I figured that it was empty. After stabbing him to death, I discovered that it was loaded with two slugs. He could have killed me easily. :stonklol:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 25, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

BlueBottleGames posted:

Boiling water in non-saucepans is a bug, currently. The tin can was supposed to be just for 1x water, while the saucepan for up to 3x. The whiskey bottle was an accident, though I've heard some players say it breaks quickly when used like that. I may be ok with leaving it if that's the case, but the tin can needs to be fixed.
Yeah, the whisky bottle breaks pretty fast. As siad, I'd be okay with these three items forming a 1,2,3 tier for boiling.

The quick recepies do act weird in a few cases. I do appreciate it when the combinations are more flexible, but the choice conditions need to be a bit tighter. Sometimes the game will choose an item that you don't want to use, and when you replace it, the recepie will not work. But you'll expend time and some of the items get consumed. Had that happen while crafting spears.

This is a slightly similar thing,

The game wants to use existing arrows, and when you remove it, the crafting option doesn't show. It also didn't show to begin with.:)

Have some more stuff from my NEO.txt

- I got stuck in the combat screen after this.

I couldn't exit it, no matter what I tried. When I placed a command in the right box, it disappeared when I picked it up again. Saving and reloading the game had this outcome:

And I was stuck.

- When building a broad spear, the durability seems to be based on what you use for the tip. Is that intended?

- Forest shacks may have been nerfed a bit too hard. I regularly get only a single item from a full green bar. They were definitely too good when I played the demo before, but now I mostly avoid them as the loot has degraded very hard.

- I was under the impression that items in the Cryo Lab campsite would be safe, and couldn't be stolen. But it happened to me. Two bandits attacked me while I was standing on the lab. One fled pretty early, since I had a bow, and the other got away with mortal wounds. Both were one hex away, on opposite sides after that. I checked my campsite and it was almost empty! Like, a bunch of really good stuff just vanished. I tracked and killed both of my attackers, and recovered some of my items. But a good portion of stuff just vanished. Could another bandit have stolen items while I was fighting the others? Or is the campsite just not safe after all?

- If you want to make the mechanic skill more appealing, you could allow it to repair guns. Like, with some scrap wood or metal.

- It would be a neat touch, if the different bottles would actually have the color of what they contain.

Thanks for being so open with us, Dan! I don't want to seem like I'm just drowning you in bug reports/ideas, but I tend to make lots of notes while playing. Hope it helps you in a way. :)

The Cheshire Cat posted:

*edit* something that might be a convenient feature - for ranged weapons, maybe have it skip over ammo types you aren't actually carrying when selecting the attack type? There's not a lot of point in having to cycle past a bunch of "x0" ammo options when you want to switch to a melee attack.
Yeah, seconding this.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 26, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I know that the hiding skill lets you see the campsite's concealment score - I think this only applies to players using it at the moment, but what if that value applied to items stashed at a campsite too? So if you wanted to keep things safe from looting, you go to the camp screen and add them to the site, and NPCs entering that hex would have to pass some kind of check against the camp's concealment to be able to loot them.
Huh, I wasn't aware of that. I just never had stuff disappear before, so I made the assumption that it's safe. But I got robbed yet again, and it was right before I wanted to set off towards the Glow. :argh:

Since then, I'm always keeping found ammo and some other important stuff on my person, and just pray that no bandit walks on my camp. You can kinda help that by not scavening too close to the lab. Keeps the area clear, and there is less of a chance that someone will follow your tracks back to the lab. Though I have to say that the situation I described earlier seems kinda bullshit. I was fighting the assholes, how could they have gotten past me, into the lab, and back out with all my stuff?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Related to camp sites, one thing that's still getting me a lot is early game hypothermia since I can't manage to find enough clothing in time to not die - especially if it's raining. Does hanging out in a hex with a campsite treat you as actually being IN that camp site?
I'm pretty sure that it does, as I always see the messsage for my sleeping bag when I step on lab. Though, I'm not sure if you count as protcted against rain. Would be sweet, as rain is really bad in the early game. The thing you described, made me always take trapping and another skill to kill the Dogman. Having his pelt as a backup saved so many botched starts!

Spoiler about reaching the Glow

I used trapping during the encouter with Hatter, which seemed like an awfully abrupt solution to the situation. Dunno, it just seemed weird to me that he was my best pal suddenly, just because I was smart enough to tell that his offer was fishy. Also, the pass got placed on the ground. Would be better if it gets placed in the inventory, as it's really easy to miss that.

Some NEO.txt

More proof that quick recepies act weird

And that the crafting option doesn't show sometimes

- The Greenwood bow degrades pretty rapidly, even if you just carry it without actually shooting. I realize that it's a very powerful and easy to make weapon, but the degrate rate seems a tad high.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 27, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Justin Credible posted:

I personally prefer the sling over even a compound bow. 20 ammo at a time vs 5 and I seem to get more consistently high damage and stunning hits vs lots of grazing shots with arrows.
I'm just an rear end in a top hat and like the thought of shredding bandits with my crude, and possibly rusty broadhead arrows. :devil:

Joking aside, I prefer bows due to the much higher range. That's real handy when you fight more than one person. But the low ammo cap is kind of bugging me too. It would be cool if you could add a quiver to the bow. Like, add it via recepie with the bow as an ingridient. The resulting bow would have a larger ammo cap, and you don't need to create/block another slot on the player. Though, I guess it would be fair to place the quiver on your shoulder slot, and trade your attack action for moving arrows from the quiver into the bow. The bow already works much like that, except that you can just pick up the arrows you fired from the ground of the hex during combat.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Another option, and one I kind of like better now that I think about it, would be to weight skills according to their relative power. Weaker skills could take up fewer "slots" by essentially being smaller items on the selection screen, while very powerful abilities would take up larger amounts of skill real estate. The same could be done with drawbacks - Insomnia is rarely more than a severe annoyance, whereas the faster Metabolism can kill the poo poo out of you with more frequent hunger/thirst penalties and a much greater risk of death by starvation/dehydration, and the faster healing is not a great tradeoff for that at all.

The more I consider that idea, the more I like it - it would give characters room for a couple of critical survival skills and a handful of specialist abilities, or you could make a survival juggernaut wildman berserker with essentially no specialty skills at all, or even a hapless Joe with no real combat or wilderness survival knowledge but an impressively diverse set of trade and specialty skills.
I forgot this post earlier, and wanna say that I really like this idea!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Double :drat:

Photosynaesthesias posted:

What the hell, raider man?
A stubbed toe is potentially lethal in the grim dark future, he just wanted a chance :v:

Seriously though, I always find it kind of weird when enemies charge me despite having bullets in their guns. It helps me stay alive, but is also kind of silly.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Congrats, dude! Now invent more things that kill us :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 6, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cidrick posted:

You dropped something you shouldn't have~
Iirc, enemies were also able to steal that something from you when you passed out. Dunno if that still can happen, but did you give away any items after the surrender?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Grats on the progress!

I unlocked my Steam version a few weeks ago, and could immediately see how much the game has changed since my last stab at it. I also got a quest to check an old military base, but it seems like a huge deathtrap for my fresh character :v:

Oh, btw, could you look over the time it takes for meat to spoil again? Like, I always thought that it's silly to have fresh meat spoil so drat fast.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

The meat spoils when it hits 0% durability, but unfortunately the easiest source of meat (squirrel corpses) like to spawn at low durability %'s even when you get them by trapping them. If anything I think squirrel corpses you get by scavenging with the squirrel trap should spawn at 85% or higher durability.
Oh hey, I didn't know that! I thought it was tied to turns, because when I trap squirrels and walk back two hexes to my camp, they often were already spoiled. As of now, I think that's a major problem because it's needlessly tedious and complicated to prepare a little cured meat stash for making a longer trip through the land. Yeah, of course I'm going to hunt new stuff along the way, but it still shouldn't be so much of a hassle to set up an intital stash to keep me going for a couple days.

Other than that, I'm digging the new build!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I got a mask and a spare filter from killing a Blue Frog that somehow wandered close to the Cryo facility. Was in the first couple days of the game so they definitely exist :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

One hot tip is to use athletic to become the king of spear combat. Like, the spear can stab at three tiles range, and the almost 100% sure sprint option from athletic allows you to stay at 3 tiles at basically all times. You need to get a bit of feel for the combat flow and for what enemies are likely to do, but I've been constantly owning human melee enemies without having any melee skill myself. Oh, and I'm not sure what skill gives you the obstacle/leg trip moves, but they are also really great for spear fighting. Get your enemy to trip, advance to 3 tiles range while they stand up and then stab. Bonus points if they trip while being in stab range already.

What I'm saying is that I'm the king of the wasteland as long as you don't have a gun :v:

• Locked thread