Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I was finally doing well, heading east with my backpack full of awesome and medkit and several melee weapons. I drank some water and settled down to sleep in an abandoned office building.

YOU HAVE DIED OF CHOLERA out of freaking nowhere.

This game rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Re: water and cholera, yeah, I figured that out, but it was after I died of course :negative:

Still can't figure out how to build a fire without a lighter though. I'd love a tip!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 16, 2012

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

beef express posted:

I found that taking Myopia / Feeble along with Tracking / Nightvision as extra skills is a pretty good bet if you're planning on playing stealthily/a coward. Nightvision is extremely useful for scavenging safely and tracking lets you avoid most combat from a distance.

The best start I've found is to use Botany to distract the dogman, then use Medic to get the healing nanomachine and finally Nightvision to find a free multitool, and then leaping crazily through the window.

EDIT: Just remembered, does anyone know how to refill a lighter? I've tried holding it in a hand but the lighter gas just vanishes.

You can also use Medic to dump a vat or Hide to...hide or Mechanic, Electrician, or Hacking to shut the door in his face. If you have Track you'll want to use it in the first room - it'll let you completely avoid Hatter's quest: by using the skill in his office, you'll be able to get the Detroit ID bracelet without having to go up to the lake.

Has anyone found a use for the monkey wrench? If you use a squirrel corpse with the multitool you get a piece of raw meat, but I can't figure out how to cook it (it wouldn't combine with a campfire, nor with campfire+pot+water).

I'd also be interested in knowing how to set traps for animals, if anyone's managed that. I tried twine+twig and twine+twig+branch with no luck.

e: If you hold a lighter in your hand, it'll have a spot where the fluid goes. You can combine lighters by holding one in each hand, but the max is 100 fluid per lighter (not that you'd likely need more than that).

I finished the demo - it's pretty cool, but I'm not sure I'm willing to put my cash up before it's done. It certainly looks promising, but I think I'd rather wait until the game actually exists in a more robust state before I pay money for it. I'd hate for it to be another Minecraft, where you can jerk around and do stuff, but there's no actual game. The fact that features are (sort of) being done by a pay-for-vote system makes it seem likely to me that there will be lots of time spent on an overly-complex crafting system with little in the way of actual plot. I sure do hope I'm wrong, though, because I had a lot of fun with the demo!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 17, 2012

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

While I think that the game should be balanced as you indicated (around permadeath), I see no reason not to add in a casual mode where you can save/reload. It'd be unbalanced and easy, but then nobody can complain on either side of the fence, because if you pick "casual mode" instead of "survival mode" or whatever, you deserve what you get.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

membranoid posted:

Yea but you're going to end up with people saying it's too easy and demanding balance changes for non-hardcore mode, if he were not just one man it might be possible, but for now i think it's better to focus on direct gameplay and stick with his current thoughts about save/reload.

Then ignore them. Call it "Casual mode for big babies" or something. It's literally a single if statement and a checkbox when you start a new game, so the coding isn't a problem so long as no one expects the game to pose a significant challenge when they're playing Casual Mode For Big Babies (or whatever).

I've been terse in this post- please take no offense and don't read it as hostility or frustration on my part - I'm typing on my phone at the moment :)

• Locked thread