Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Tempted to pay for beta access not just for the save feature but to have a say in features.

I'm sure the crafting system is going to be overhauled, but I'd love a "Move to Crafting" cursor mode (bound to 5 or something) that let you click stuff so it would instantly move to the crafting screen. Dragging a bunch of items to figure out recipes is a mild annoyance (to someone who'd play a turn-based survival RPG with permadeath).

This game is awesome.

EDIT: This runs on my stock Droid X2's browser. The cursor responds with a delay, but it works. (Yes, I know any flash-capable phone can run flash-apps, just sayin'.)

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I see what people mean by beating the demo as far as getting into the DMC.

Are there any safe areas to sleep? How about Junk Town?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No where is completely safe to sleep; looters can walk into Junk Town. In fact one of the older bugs was that they kept picking stuff up there.

You can make noise traps Loose screws/bolts + Loose string/Wire + tin can and leave them on the ground when you sleep to act as a warning. Apparently using more than one has a stacking effect so you're safer with 2-3 of them than just one.

In the beta the hiding skill makes sleeping safely a lot easier since you can use the "sneak" option and be much harder to spot, even while asleep (it's a toggle and it just stays on until you disable it). You can also "hide" in places with poor visibility, like surrounded by hills or forests. I'm thinking that at some point you might get the ability to rest inside buildings for more security.

How the hell do you sneak?? Is that beta only?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Oak Read Erryday posted:

For instance, the way you check berries and fungi with Botany could be a one-click deal instead of dragging it from the Abilities screen into Items.

Honestly, there's no reason to not automatically apply skills to crafting when you have them. Granted the first time is the only time (after that you can just single-click from the recipe page) but still, it's kind of needlessly archaic as well as a little immersion-breaking; I know how to identify plants, I just choose not to sometimes! Why? Why would I do this, both as a character who's trying to survive and as a player who knows that even if I have only one turn left, with a looter nearby, I can open my crafting screen, light a campfire, purify some water, maybe cook some squirrels, craft a squirrel suit, and then take an action to end my turn?

And holy poo poo I never made the connection between saving and scumming in NEO Scav. Bums me out. I hope BBG eventually makes it so that you auto-save every turn/action and wipe the save the moment death occurs, before even telling the player they died.

Overall though, YOU ROCK, BLUE BOTTLE!

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 27, 2012

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing to bear in mind that even NetHack has "Exploration mode", which allows you to just instantly resurrect at full health when you die. It just disables high score tracking when you turn it on; I think having a "casual mode" in Roguelike style games is fine so long as it's clearly indicated that it is NOT the intended way to play.

While I 100% support permadeath and especially the saves-nuked-on-death feature, yeah, Crawl is another roguelike that has Wizard mode where you can screw around and resurrect/heal/spawn items but you're locked out of a high score, because the mode is there explicitly for people to learn the game/test out stuff quickly rather than having to test it "live" (if they even can test it since it requires the RNG to comply in a "real" game to give you items and stuff you want to experiment with).

Really though I care much less about that and much more about the core gameplay itself; imo it's the people who are "HELL YES EXPLORATION AND PERMADEATH" who are playing the beta with its relative lack of content rather than people eager to learn the game. The time to implement a competent and user-friendly testing mode (it'd have to be user-friendly because the target is people who are learning with the secondary focus on experienced players who want to test out wacky poo poo) would, imo, be better spent on fleshing out the game more, and then at a later milestone revisit the idea of a learning mode for people who haven't spent hours of their lives playing roguelikes.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 28, 2012

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

An interesting bug in beta mode:

If you go to a location with two recipe scraps, press 1 (without 4 active) to take the top recipe, the recipe under it will randomize if you press 2 to take the second recipe into your pack. Press 1 again to return both items to the ground, then repeat, and you'll keep getting a random recipe.

I'd post it on the beta forums but I'm lazy and BBG reads here sometimes.

EDIT: Actually, you can just keep using 1, but you have to use 2 to move the recipes you want to learn into their own inventory slot or you won't learn the new random recipe, it looks like.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Gonna try a nightvision/medic/melee/tough guy next time I play to see how everything is, even though combat is still in its infancy. Maybe with Metabolism and Tracking so that I can still wear my squirrelsuit while I eat squirreljerky.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

BBG, this game is amazing, and gets even better as you keep working on it. Best beta purchase I've made in a while.

Is it just me, or is Punch far, FAR more effective at killing than a crowbar? Also, I can't really see a difference between melee and no melee; both result in PLAYER ATTACKS... AND MISSES! x5142 followed by a PLAYER ATTACKS... AND SMACKS THE LOOTER'S LEFT ARM! LOOTER RETREATS. Then I repeat this forever. Yet, with punches, I seem to kill faster, with a mere 2500 misses between hits.

Hyperbole, but really, combat is a string of misses for me, every game. I've gotten guns more often though, and even without ranged they seem to be reliable to hit people.

In general, do people move towards Hatter/the dome or just explore off the bat or what?

Also, wow, tackling and then kicking while they're down works great. I didn't have kick before, weird.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 5, 2012

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

If you're a fan of post-apoc survival games, or what amounts to a roguelike with a very different UI, this is incredibly fun and the demo is very much worth your time. I cannot recommend it enough, and I'm Some Dude From The Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

My apologies if it's been asked, but how do you make your pixel art, BBG? Is it some kind of conversion from other images, or just by-hand pixel art? It's all really awesome.

• Locked thread