Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If there's a river or lake in a forest tile, this game really needs to let me see that from a distance. It's a valuable resource, and it's way too easy for me to lose track of it without some kind of marker. Besides, it's kind of odd that my eagle eyed mountain man can spot some tiny wooded shack from miles away, but is completely oblivious to a body of water glistening in the sun.

Also, I've been reading the thread, and this jumped out at me:

BlueBottleGames posted:

Regarding goals inside vs. outside the city, do you mean further plot encounters? If so, I do plan to add some of each, though I'm not sure of the ratio yet. Playing inside the city would have a distinctively different feel from survival in the wilderness, so my first instinct is to keep inner-city adventuring limited to a few encounters, and perhaps expand on urban adventuring in a future game.

However, a number of players have expressed more than a little interest in "what lies inside the DMC walls," and I don't want them to feel jipped if the city plays a minor role. It's a tough call, but for now, my gut feeling is that NEO Scavenger plot should focus on locations requiring wilderness survival, with limited activity in the DMC.
Nooo, don't listen to your gut; it's only indigestion.

This game has three outdoor survival skills (trapping, tracking, botany), and three tech oriented skills (hacking, mechanic, electrician). People are expecting to get equal mileage out of each of them, and I can't imagine how you'd convincingly do that without giving them about as much to do in the city as there is outdoors.

I mean, $10 is a pretty high price point for a game like this: if I'm some random Steam user, then I know that for that same amount of money I can buy the complete bundles of either Dungeons of Dredmor, Binding of Isaac, or Terraria. What's going to make me choose NEO Scavenger instead? My addiction to roguelikes? I guess, but if I'm that guy, then I don't exactly represent a huge customer base. Will I get hooked in with a promise that a quarter of the game's skills will be useful later, if I pay more money down the line? Well no, that's not very tantalizing; I'm going to buy one of the other three and wait for the price of this game to get slashed.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A good starter build is Medic/Slow Metabolism/Athletic/Tough and then Insomnia/your choice (botany is a good one). It will let you be pretty good all around and help you live long enough to figure the game out a bit more.

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of:

quote:

+Medic: keeps me alive, and when used in the starting room, gives me healing supplies and a container. If space is a serious concern, I can mix the contents of the various pill bottles and usually eliminate one or two, thereby getting another 2-4 inventory squares.
+Slow Metabolism: less eating/drinking = less time spent foraging. It also gives me a lot of wiggle room on the path to Squirrel Self-Sufficiency. I find I can easily last a couple of days on crackers and ketchup, which is usually enough to get myself a lighter (and multi-tool if I'm not using Eagle Eye).
+Hiding: lets me pick my fights (ie, none). I almost never search without this skill active except maybe on the first day, and as a result I almost never need to risk a fight. It reduces loot odds, but I still find a boatload of items. Far too many to carry, actually.
+Trapping: free food (that'll last you a few days if you cure it) plus squirrel armor.
+Eagle Eye: great for visibility, and if I use it in the starting room, I get a free multi-tool, which is one less thing I need to find to make trapping viable.

-Insomnia: it's annoying to have to struggle to get back to well-rested after a tiring day, but it's probably the least painful trait you can have.

Athletic is a pass for me, as it no longer gives you an extra move. Instead, you get 3 run points rather than the default 1, which to me is useless, as with hiding I never find myself needing to run all that far.

Next time I play, I'm actually thinking of dumping Eagle Eye/Insomnia, as the benefit of EE (while certainly nice) is not a game-changer, and having to click sleep a billion times per night is really starting to annoy me.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 3, 2012

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey BBG, glad to see you're still keeping an eye on this place.

I get what you're saying about the DMC, and my thinking's evolved a bit since my earlier post. I realize you're running a one man operation, and modeling a proper city ecology is a really tall order when your resources are limited.

Have you considered implementing tech-oriented sites in the wilderness? You could add a lot of utility to mechanic/electrician/hacking by dotting the landscape with, say, other cryo facilities, tech parks, factories, bunkers, or even things like banks and ATMs. Maybe some wrecked military hardware (you'd figure tanks have first aid kits or some small arms ammo locked away somewhere inside).

Also, you talked somewhere about adding more encounters, which I take to be little mini-adventures of the sort we're faced with at the start of the game. Have you thought about adding branching paths to those? It'd be a great way to squeeze a lot of gameplay out of a modest time investment.

To elaborate, I'm imagining something like this: I stumble upon a bunker, and I can get in immediately with some combo of mech/elec/hacking/lockpicking/strong and various appropriate tools (crowbar + strong, iSlab + hacking, etc). If I have none of those, I can settle for the subpar option of waiting for the occupant to return (or leave), but there's only a 25% chance/turn that he'll do so, and even if I lucked out, I'd have a fight on my hands. Once inside, I can explore, with a chance (again, modified by my skills and traits) to encounter stuff: some loot or, say, a basement with a couple of people who were gonna get eaten (The Road!). What if there's a chained up Dogman, or an actual guard dog, or some other beastie? Or hey, how about I stumble upon the occupant's kith or kin (do I scare them off? do I kill them? do I run? how do they react to me?). Maybe there's something supernatural going on.

Those options take us only two branches deep on an event tree (gain entry--->first encounter), and we've already got a ton of potential outcomes from only one site type. Add a third or fourth level (how do I react to the dogman, the cannibal food, a booby-trapped safe, etc), and you multiply that even further, giving the player a lot of content for, I dunno, a couple nights worth of work?

edit: I suppose art assets might be a bit of a stumbling block, but I imagine you'd be able to reuse a whole lot of those if the accompanying flavor text was solid.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 4, 2012

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Mechanic seems like something that could be very useful if cars are ever added (the only vehicle at the moment is shopping carts, right?) although non-mechanics should still be able to use them, maybe they wouldn't be able to repair them if they break down and would have to abandon them.
Do shopping carts degrade? If so, then the ability to keep them in shape would be a prime opportunity to make mechanics immediately useful. Same deal with rifles.

Now that I think about it, maybe there should be some synergy between the electrician skill and nanorobot medical kits. High technology is pretty finicky, after all. Would it skew the balance to make them useless (except as sale goods) without being able to fix them with some screws, an iSlab or two, and the elec skill?

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 4, 2012

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What's that cellphone-looking thingy in the upper left of the backpack? Was that in the game before, or is that some new doodad?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
$9.99

Also, for any of us not native to the region, it turns out that the dogman is An Actual Thing in Michigan.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 6, 2012

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Go to a forest, and search there. Your trap should be visible in the same window where the crowbar or relevant skills (say, hid or strong or whatever) would appear. Drag the trap over and do the actual search; you should get a squirrel or three. Skin them with the multitool (and trapping if you wanna recover their pelt), then cook em with a stick over a fire. If you've got a large fire and some ash, you can also cure the raw meat to make it last longer

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm so bad at this alpha/beta stuff. I bought both this and Gnomoria during their sales, but I refuse to touch either because what if I burn out now and the next patch adds so much awesome stuff? I won't be able to enjoy it as much! :ohdear:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm doing another run after a few months off, and I just took a trip down to Zom Zom's...

Really, really liking how this is shaping up.

Edit: Also, Dan, bless you for adding stuff to do in the city. I've yet to actually get to it, but last time I played, I remember being pretty turned off by the idea of reaching town and...not being able to do much beyond staring at it from the poochy, besquirreled woods.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 2, 2013

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

What where huh? Is this another encounter I don't know about, or an obscure reference to another game?
Yeah, what lordfrikk said.

The picture is from Wasteland, but there's a random encounter (a big warehouse called Zom Zom's...uh, something-or-other) which features a robot (described, not shown) that made me think of that critter.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tin Tim posted:

I would also appreciate it, if known recepies would be persistent bewteen runs. Yeah, it kinda goes against the fresh start idea, but it would be really convenient for players. Saves me the trouble of remembering the more complex combos, or looking them up on the net.
This is such an excellent idea. I hate having to go to an outside wiki just to get things done

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of cured meats, is anyone else a little peeved at how quickly cured meat goes bad? I haven't really timed it, but I believe it turns to sludge in under a week, which is kind of extreme.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 24, 2013

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any word lately on a release date? I find myself skipping a lot of these builds in order to keep things fresh when it comes out.

Also, I'm late to the party, but congrats on getting greenlit, Dan. That's a serious accomplishment, especially for a more-or-less solo project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I thawed out an ogre viking with Strong, Tough, Melee, Ranged, Medic, Botany, Trapping (with Insomniac, Myopia, and Metabolism as maluses), and I've been spearing as many whelps as the day is long, but holy smokes I keep forgetting to put out my campfires. This one time I came back and found a bunch of little pissers wrecking my shopping cart, both my pots, and every nut and bolt I had to my name. Worse still, one of them was running off with that home movie I made of myself punching a dogman silly. You'd better believe many asses were beaten that day.

I guess another one of them also stole my spare dogman coat and loaded rifle, but by Odin's beard, I almost lost my tape...

Edit: Oh, and actually, since Dan's still active here, this has been something that's been on my mind lately: do you have any plans to make the world map more interactive? I'd love to put down little markers or notes (like the ones for the Glow, or ZomZom's) on the map to remind myself where I squirreled away a supply cache or shelter or something.

Edit 2: Lousy melonheads, why do you have to stumble onto my camp and right into my pointy stick? Three times just tonight! Three times!

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 29, 2014

• Locked thread