Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Could still use some tidying up, but here's my Gouf Custom based on the White Rose

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I love Goufs(in UC):allears:

I think that you've done a pretty good job, now you just need to paint a rose on the shoulder :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I lke the scheme but you should get some putty and get rid of the seam line on the shoulder. And maybe trim down the flash on the waist pipe.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I'm working on my first fully painted model, a Dreissen and I'm at the part I dreaded most... the baroque markings on the chest and sleeves. I need some advice on painting these. Would it be best to buy a gundam marker or what? I don't have any experience in hand painting.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Honest Ray posted:

I'm working on my first fully painted model, a Dreissen and I'm at the part I dreaded most... the baroque markings on the chest and sleeves. I need some advice on painting these. Would it be best to buy a gundam marker or what? I don't have any experience in hand painting.

Would probably be easier just to get a Gundam marker if you lack the finesse to hand paint it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Monaghan posted:

I lke the scheme but you should get some putty and get rid of the seam line on the shoulder. And maybe trim down the flash on the waist pipe.

Yeah, I thought touching up the paint would cover the seam. Tamiya doesn't seem to like being applied with a brush, or being watered down, very odd.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I thought touching up the paint would cover the seam. Tamiya doesn't seem to like being applied with a brush, or being watered down, very odd.

as someone who's learned from experience, paint never ever covers up a seam line, if you paint something, it only emphasises surface imperfections.

Als tamiya is terrible for handbrushing, it dries too fast. You can thin it out with rubbing alcohol though, makes it good for airbrushing.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I decided to try my hand at painting for the first time with my AMX-009 Dreissen. I think it's vaguely passable as a first attempt. Any thoughts on where I can improve? I still need to do panel lining and color in the Sleeves markings.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

for the first time ever I have no idea what how I want to pose my kit. I really like the 00 quanta's regular look, with the sword bits in the shield, but the ridiculously over sized sword it can have appeals to me.

decisions, decisions.... :ohdear:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

for the first time ever I have no idea what how I want to pose my kit. I really like the 00 quanta's regular look, with the sword bits in the shield, but the ridiculously over sized sword it can have appeals to me.

decisions, decisions.... :ohdear:

Isn't that huge sword a pain in the rear end to make it hold, even with the action base for support? You could just buy the GN Sword IV Full Saber so you can have the sword bits in the shield and he still has a badass sword to hold.

Speaking of 00, I snagged an awesome deal off ebay. 79 dollars shipped for MG 00 Raiser. :)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't think they make the full saber for the mg, do they? As for weight issues if needed I'll just drill a brass rod in the arm for stability. I think it can hold up the sword, but not in its blaster configuration.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

I don't think they make the full saber for the mg, do they? As for weight issues if needed I'll just drill a brass rod in the arm for stability. I think it can hold up the sword, but not in its blaster configuration.

Bandai doesn't make it, but that doesn't stop Quanta fans: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BTF-Gundam-M...=item19cb3a7cfd

Yes, it is all molded in proper colored plastic.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Holy poo poo. Guess I know what I'm buying when my next paycheck comes in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Bandai doesn't make it, but that doesn't stop Quanta fans: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BTF-Gundam-M...=item19cb3a7cfd

Yes, it is all molded in proper colored plastic.

Looks kind of interesting; here's one guy's take on it:
http://stargazergunpla.blogspot.com/2012/05/mg-00-qantt-full-saber.html

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Can anyone give me a quality rundown/review on this kit http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TOY-RBT-0331 ? It's the Rein Weissritter, it is over designed, it is hideously mishmashy, it looks like some DeviantArt kiddy's attempt to make a cool robot, and I love it. I wanna get it and the Aussenseiter linked in the op ( http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TOY-RBT-0304 ), since that got a really good review, but I don't know the Rein Weissritter's status and I would be very happy to have some advice on buy/don't buy.

Oh, also, my local hobby shop doesn't have any Tamiya Plastic Model Cement, and I accidentally snapped off the v-fin of my Gundam X Divider while trying to detail the little bastard. Any suggestions for fixing it, without say, getting a pin vice? I'm not planning to move it around much, and the part's too tiny for any real work. I just wanted something to glue it back on with, but not something horribly bad looking.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I hope they make a HGUC Full Armor Unicorn sometime this or next year, I am tempted by the MG but I would feel bad about not painting it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Oh, also, my local hobby shop doesn't have any Tamiya Plastic Model Cement, and I accidentally snapped off the v-fin of my Gundam X Divider while trying to detail the little bastard. Any suggestions for fixing it, without say, getting a pin vice? I'm not planning to move it around much, and the part's too tiny for any real work. I just wanted something to glue it back on with, but not something horribly bad looking.

Testor's clear is pretty good too. You might try a tiny drop of superglue if nothing else works (small like dip a toothpick in the nozzle and touch it to the join area).

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You can also get superglue that comes with a built-in brush in the cap rather than just splooging it all over the place.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Oh god :gonk: what have you done to me? I've been sitting on Tokyo Hunter for 30 minutes looking at figures :( My wallet..my shelf space.. :cry:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's time to start gearing up to build Sinanju and I come to the problem of the trim. My plan is to spray the areas gold with acrylic or enamel and then do a layer of black in the other medium on top which I'll then rub off from the raised areas with something to reveal the gold underneath. Basically the same principal behind a panel line wash and clean up.

It'll be something like this but gold and black.

What will remove acrylic but not the enamel (or the other way round)? I currently use surgical spirit to clean up my acrylic washes, but that's only over bare plastic, does anybody know how it interacts with enamel?

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

EthanSteele posted:

What will remove acrylic but not the enamel (or the other way round)? I currently use surgical spirit to clean up my acrylic washes, but that's only over bare plastic, does anybody know how it interacts with enamel?

From my limited experience, you can use brush cleaner to remove the enamel because once acrylic is dry almost nothing short of sanding will remove it.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

It's time to start gearing up to build Sinanju and I come to the problem of the trim. My plan is to spray the areas gold with acrylic or enamel and then do a layer of black in the other medium on top which I'll then rub off from the raised areas with something to reveal the gold underneath. Basically the same principal behind a panel line wash and clean up.

where were you 3 days ago? Man, I really need to redo my trim, it looks so lovely.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EthanSteele posted:

This seems to be along the lines of what you are trying to do
http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=1401

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Anyone have a good suggestion for a color for Char's Zaku II. I can't find any pink in the stores in my area so it looks like I'm going to have to order it online. Additionally, how do you panel line a painted kit? I tried my standard tactic of rubbing off the excess from my sharpie, but it doesn't rub off as easy or at all with it being painted.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Honest Ray posted:

Additionally, how do you panel line a painted kit? I tried my standard tactic of rubbing off the excess from my sharpie, but it doesn't rub off as easy or at all with it being painted.

I use pigma black and an art gum eraser and it comes off prepainted kits just fine.

EDIT: Sakura Pigma Micron ink tip size 005 pens.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 3, 2012

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Just a heads up on some sales and specials:

Hobby Search is having a Half-Off Shipping Promotion. Use their PayPal Pre-Approved Payment option and get half-off shipping.

Hobby Link Japan is celebrating its 15th Anniversary this month. Keep an eye out for sales items and specials. First up is a Kaiyodo Sale, mostly Revoltech.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Here's another way to do those raised sleeves insignias: http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/04/gundam-building-101-reverse-wash-and.html

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Could someone identify this Figma? I like to collect cool mech design images so I'd like to label the folder properly.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Black Lotus from Accel World. Goodsmile always keeps their site up to date, so its a good place to check.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

old MSIA and 1/100 kit parts are fun

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
So, uh, anyone know where i can get $500 or so in a hurry?

New SoC Mazinger.

300mm tall.

Removable armour plates, and detailed inner frame.

Hangar base.

Light and sound gimmicks.

All for the low, low price of 36750JPY (well, 35000 without tax, and probably further reduced by retailer discounts... but then you've got to add shipping, and that ain't gonna be cheap for something this big).

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
No Jet Scrander, no sale. :colbert:

Seriously, though, holy gently caress that thing is beautiful and I'd love to have one. But not $500 love. Still, that fucker is going in the OP because drat.

Edit: You know drat well that sold separately doesn't count! I could accept it when it was like $10 extra for the Super Robot Chogokin, but ugh...

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 14, 2012

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
There is a Jet Scrander, however it is being sold separately :haw:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Doesn't have a electronic elevator, so its definitely not as cool as the previous SoC Mazinger base.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
In other news, a model kit I thought Bandai was never going to produce. Seriously, though, it's been YEARS since the other three 0080 GM variants, which is why I never figured we'd see a GM Sniper II model kit, but here it is, and I'm glad they waited. They probably couldn't have given the suit the treatment it needed back then, but now they can.

Hell, it might get me back into painting. Love to have one in a forest green.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Just built the HGUC Nu Gundam Heavy Weapons variant, and it's quite possibly the most fun I've ever had building and posing a Gundam model kit. The Nu Gundam is cool as hell and its white/black/yellow color scheme reminds me so much of a space shuttle that I think of the "good old days" of growing up with NASA and space shuttles in the 90s every time I look at it. This guy's never leaving my sight.

Edit: The one thing I don't like are the hands. There are three right hands (one that can hold the beam rifle/beam bazooka/rocket launcher, one that can hold the beam saber, and one clenched fist that can't hold anything) but only two left hands (one clenched fist that can't hold anything and one open palm that can't hold anything), which means he can't dual-wield anything without looking really silly. It's the only disappointing thing about this model kit.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 14, 2012

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

In other news, a model kit I thought Bandai was never going to produce. Seriously, though, it's been YEARS since the other three 0080 GM variants, which is why I never figured we'd see a GM Sniper II model kit, but here it is, and I'm glad they waited. They probably couldn't have given the suit the treatment it needed back then, but now they can.

Hell, it might get me back into painting. Love to have one in a forest green.

I wonder if it will include the coolant tanks and all those accessories like they show in the anime.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

wfwon posted:

I wonder if it will include the coolant tanks and all those accessories like they show in the anime.

You're thinking of the GM Ground Type Sniper from 08th MS Team. This is the one that shows up for a couple seconds in 0080 before getting blown out of the sky by the Kaempher.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Goddammit, I finally decide to get off my rear end and get MG Turn A and everybody's out of stock. HLJ, AmiAmi, GundamStore, Hobbysearch, ToyArena, everyfuckingbody. And for some reason BBTS and GG Infinite don't even have it listed in the first place. It's like Bandai's placed the entire western hemisphere under a Mustache Embargo after cancelling the DVDs.

So... is it worth waiting the month and a half for the hope of a probable restock, or move onto one of the other kits I've always been meaning to get (In this case, either 00 Raiser or Unicorn Ver. OVA)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Keep an eye out for it and move on for now.

• Locked thread