Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well the build strike, sengoku astray, and build mk II are already getting Master Grades. I don't know what their plan of attack is, other than just doing what seems popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm a little surprised they haven't announced a Zaku Amazing or something along those lines yet.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

muike posted:

Well the build strike, sengoku astray, and build mk II are already getting Master Grades. I don't know what their plan of attack is, other than just doing what seems popular.

Everything that already has a MG to modify is guaranteed a spot, hence the upcoming MG GX and the recently announced Dark Matter Exia. The popular designs might get MGs too if it's practical, but at the moment it's all unclear.

The neat thing about BF MGs is that they don't seem to count for the usual "one MG per month" limit. I'm not sure how well that will work out for Bandai, but it's cool for the consumers.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

If Bandai gives us a MG Kampher Amazing with the ability to turn into the regular Kampher I will buy it on principle alone. Even if it doesn't, I'll buy it on principle alone.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kampfer Amazing is in an iffy spot because there is a MG to work with, but it's old and probably not the best base to work off of for what is likely to be a popular rival suit. Bandai's reused old stuff before (just look at GM Sniper), but I don't know if they'd be willing to half-rear end this.

Oh who am I kidding they totally will.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2013/12/mg-1100-ms-14a-gelgoog-customized-build.html

This is the most American Gelgoog I've ever seen.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Zeonic Rim. :v:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

This image hurts me on a deep personal level.

If you've got absolutely nothing else, fingernail clippers make for a pretty decent cutting tool.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The day they announce GX Mao is the day I order it, and after all these years I really won't mind to have GX twice anyway. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Today I found a 1/144 V2 for a decent price. Since the only thing stopping me from getting the upcoming HG was the lack of Wings of Light, I figured I might as well get the 1/144 just for the wings. And since someone in the thread was curious about the old days of Gunpla, I figured I'd review it.

But first, the end result. Let me warn you, these old kits are gruesome.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Today I found a 1/144 V2 for a decent price. Since the only thing stopping me from getting the upcoming HG was the lack of Wings of Light, I figured I might as well get the 1/144 just for the wings. And since someone in the thread was curious about the old days of Gunpla, I figured I'd review it.

But first, the end result. Let me warn you, these old kits are gruesome.

Cool, I didn't know the sprue funnels were part of that kit.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
As Tomino wills.

e: do you guys ever sharpen parts that are molded with dull tips for dumb kids to not poke their eyes out? Do you just do it by shaving it down or do you have pro tips?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

As Tomino wills.

e: do you guys ever sharpen parts that are molded with dull tips for dumb kids to not poke their eyes out? Do you just do it by shaving it down or do you have pro tips?

MGs I don't bother with because they look good enough for me; HGs look like rear end unless you thin them down a bit with some sandpaper. GB has some thoughts on it:

http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=1429

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
In this case it's not an antenna but a wing, but I think the principle should be the same, thanks.

for the sake of reference, you can see the part here:

muike fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 29, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Let's start off by looking at the box.

The old 1/144 boxes were all the same size, which is to say pretty small. Here's the V2's box compared to the average HG box and the MG RX-78-2 2.0 (whose box is the same size as MG Victory's).

And just for fun, here's it in front of the MG FA Unicorn (whose box is the same size as MG V-Dash's, though much deeper).

Boxes at this time were pretty tacky. Over on the left the text is loudly proclaiming the kit has a beam rifle (DUN DUN DUN) and it's 1/144 scale (!!!). There's also the BRAND NEW V-FRAME ACTION (which is kind of like Advanced Grades before AGs were a thing), CLEAR PARTS, and oh my god you can do COOL POSES with this thing. I'm not making any of this up. On the right you can see that this is the ninth kit in the "Battle Mobile Suit Collection" series, and that it has clear parts to represent the Minovsky Drive. And of course, this was made by Bandai.

On the inside, there's not much. Parts separation on this kit is complete rear end, as this was the era where you were expected to paint everything.

Just for comparison here's HG Victory's runners. That kit has barely any pieces as is, yet it's still more than double the 1/144 V2's count.

The manual is similarly barebones. No book here, just a folded up piece of paper, some art for the included display base, and a card that thanks you for purchasing the thing with contact information on it in case of any issues.

The A runners on the Victory kits were pretty interesting. It looks small,

but it's actually four runners squished together. Pieces are arranged in such a way that you can assemble the kit just by pressing two of the A runners together.

Like so. The V2's legs, arms, shoulders, feet, and upper torso are just two pieces fitted together, with no attempt at all to hide seam lines. To say it looks horrid is an understatement.

Over here is the B runner. It's pretty much the rest of the kit, and here everything's just one piece. Even the gun. Oh and speaking of that, there's no gray runner just for the gun on this kit. You'll get your accessories in solid white and you'll like it. :colbert:

The C and W runners (don't ask why they jump to W, it's not even the runner for the WoL) are all effect pieces. The beam weapons are all single pieces, so you'll have to paint the saber parts white if you want it too look right. The W runner has parts for a very primitive display base, with tabs on the back to fit the postcard included in the manual as a background.

The F runner is the V-fin. Even though it's made of a much more rubbery plastic, it still has safety nubs. Sometimes I wonder about children.

And last but not least, the V runner. This is the V Action Frame the box is so proud of, and it's kind of the predecessor to both polycaps and inner frames. Over on the top left you can see the two parts that fit together to form the waist, and on the bottom rleft is a piece that goes in between the torso sandwich. There are also hands and connector pieces, as well as what is pretty much this kit's joints. Articulation with all these isn't all that good,

but I can't exactly show that off now can I. :v: Here are front and back shots of my completed monstrosity.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Now you HAVE to buy the HGUC V2 Gundam when it comes out for the ultimate comparison. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm getting the V2, but don't expect a comparison. No way in hell I'm bringing this thing all the way with me to my college dorm; the sprues couldn't handle the stress.

Incidentally, looking at shots of the HG V2, I'm pretty sure the 1/144's WoL will fit in neatly. So that's cool.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What are some of the blogs you guys check out for build photos and stuff of new kits? I think we can all skip mentioning dalong. Here's some of the sites I check in general:

http://schizophonic9.blog103.fc2.com/
http://www.taghobby.com/ (used to be the cybergundam blog but yahoo blogs got shut down and he merged with some other people)
http://www.gunjap.net/site/ Italian site, used to frequently post painted builds and stuff daily, not so much anymore
http://hobbynotoriko.yumenogotoshi.com/
http://srblood.blog89.fc2.com/
http://miffyburian.blog.fc2.com/
http://hobbyplamodel.blog.fc2.com/

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I exclusively use GundamGuy. He usually links reviews from the blogs you just listed too, so it's an all in one package.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like checking ones like Schizophonic myself because GG doesn't link to WIP shots of stuff, which is what's really interesting to me. My favorite TV show is How It's Made. I'm probably autistic

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I like gundamguy too because he always has excessive pictures; I don't normally need other sites because gundamguy has every angle covered.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The only problem I have with GundamGuy is my computer occasionally loses its poo poo when I load it up and plug ins start crashing. It's kinda hilarious and annoying at the same time.
EDIT: Ok, my Blue Frame's really pissing me off, the goddamn thumb on the right hand keeps popping off, now it's somewhere in the carpet and I can't find the little bastard. This happens every time I move the drat thing so I'm just going to put it in an arms crossed pose and shove it near the back because goddammit.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 30, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

For a while I've been planning on eventually getting MG 00 SS/G, but today I took a look at the 00 Quan[t] and realized that it actually looks really neat.

Without the stupid shoulder shield and stubby GN Sword V, it looks much more like a true successor to the Exia than "grunt with a V-fin" 00. I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up eventually, which leads me to my question: are there any good 1/100 scale weapons for it? I know Kotobukiya make some, but I've mostly just seen pistols and other low tech stuff that wouldn't really work with the Quan[t].

I just don't want to have to actually use the normal equipment, they look horrible.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
There's the third party GN Sword IV if that tickles your fancy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Qan[t] is quite possibly the only gundam I can think of where it would have been improved by going the cliche "wings 'o funnels" route rather than what it did. It's a really neat design that the shield binder just throws right the gently caress off.

00 as a whole really saddens me because even without the plot issues, season 1 had some amazing mech designs that just got blandified to absolute hell in season 2. Exia is a goddamn gorgeous interpretation of the Gundam Look and does everything right that the 00 itself gets wrong.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 1, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mr. stefan posted:

00 as a whole really saddens me because even without the plot issues, season 1 had some amazing mech designs that just got blandified to absolute hell in season 2. Exia is a goddamn gorgeous interpretation of the Gundam Look and does everything right that the 00 itself gets wrong.

I'm generally not that big on the "starter" protagonist suits, but the Exia's awesome just for doing something different than the usual gun/shield combo and I can't wait for the RG in March :shepspends:. The 00 would've been a better design if they'd scratched those fragile-looking shoulder mounts and gone for something like the V2 Gundam's back-swept fins/thrusters.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The 00 is actually a really nifty design! For a grunt. It's very plain and open to customization as soon as you take off those GN Drives. As a lead gundam though it's just really boring and bears almost no resemblance to the Exia at all beyond general body shape/color scheme.

Quan[t] looks miles better but those weapons, sheesh.

TaurusOxford posted:

There's the third party GN Sword IV if that tickles your fancy.

The GN Sword IV improves the look of the standard Quan[t] by making it kind of symmetrical, but by itself it looks just as silly. I'm actually thinking of parts ordering the 00 SS/G's gun, if parts ordering does end up coming back anyways. And maybe I'll slap on the Exia Repair II's sword when I get it later, I dunno.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You jerks, stop hating on 00 Raiser. :colbert:

Thank Christ that Wing Zero is finally getting a HGAC kit in Spring - i'll finally be able to make Wing Raiser Zero and make a fusion of two Gundams everyone except me hates. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't really think I hate any Mobile Suits, there's just a part of me that goes those fucken gaijin every time a westerner brings up Wing or G Gundam and then I go and I hit myself in the stupid face

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

For a while I've been planning on eventually getting MG 00 SS/G, but today I took a look at the 00 Quan[t] and realized that it actually looks really neat.

Without the stupid shoulder shield and stubby GN Sword V, it looks much more like a true successor to the Exia than "grunt with a V-fin" 00. I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up eventually, which leads me to my question: are there any good 1/100 scale weapons for it? I know Kotobukiya make some, but I've mostly just seen pistols and other low tech stuff that wouldn't really work with the Quan[t].

I just don't want to have to actually use the normal equipment, they look horrible.

The worst part of the GN Sword V is that the model can't loving hold it properly! It attaches to the bottom of the arm, and is supposed to be held in the palm, but due to the stupid way they angled the connector it can do precisely one of those things. Mine holds it out at the only angle I could manage, and I am fearful of ever touching it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

The Qan[t] is quite possibly the only gundam I can think of where it would have been improved by going the cliche "wings 'o funnels" route rather than what it did. It's a really neat design that the shield binder just throws right the gently caress off.
In positions where the shield is placed behind the MS itself, so as a backpack it looks pretty cool in my eyes.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

BlitzBlast posted:

I think what I like most about the Quan[t] is that it looks like a combination of the Exia, 00, and 0 suits to me. Even if the 0 doesn't really count since it's just the RX-78 anyway. It's because of that combination that it does feel like a successor to the line and in hindsight makes it a lineage of mobile suits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have mg's of all three main suits, gently caress the haters.

I think 00 is one of those series in which I like around 90% of all the suit designs and I would pretty much buy any mg they make of it. It saddens me will never get the innovators suits in 1/100 scale. The innovators may have been weak villains, but man did they pilot some cool looking suits.

TaurusOxford posted:

You jerks, stop hating on 00 Raiser. :colbert:

Thank Christ that Wing Zero is finally getting a HGAC kit in Spring - i'll finally be able to make Wing Raiser Zero and make a fusion of two Gundams everyone except me hates. :v:

I always thought that a ton of people liked the wing zero (including myself).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I just can't stand the feather wings. v:shobon:v

A kitbash that replaces them with some 00Raiser styled system would be cool as heck though. GN Drives are a guilty pleasure of mine.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monaghan posted:

I have mg's of all three main suits, gently caress the haters.

I think 00 is one of those series in which I like around 90% of all the suit designs and I would pretty much buy any mg they make of it. It saddens me will never get the innovators suits in 1/100 scale. The innovators may have been weak villains, but man did they pilot some cool looking suits.

Is there a central list of all the All gundam kits?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 2, 2014

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

TaurusOxford posted:

Monaghan posted:

Kitfox88 posted:

I just can't stand the feather wings. v:shobon:v

I think we're talking about the REAL Wing Zero, not the Wing Zero Custom. I've heard of a lot more people hating the latter than the former, and I don't think the Custom is the one that's going to get the HG kit.

I still wish it'd get a proper MG though. I am just not a fan of Katoki and his straight lines.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Oh, Wing Zero's cool. I love the engine pods on the back, anyone who doesn't a scrub. :colbert:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Sazabi is a veritable sea of plastic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Is there a central list of all the All gundam kits?

Not really seeing what that has to do with the post you quoted. Anyways, kind of? Go here and look for every Gundam past Wing. The only exceptions are the upcoming Unicorn kits, which of course are just recycling the old molds.

Or if you just wanted a list:

1. Wing Gundam (released)
2. Double X Gundam (released)
3. Victory Gundam (released)
4. F91 Gundam (released)
5. F91 Gundam Harrison Custom (released)
6. Victory 2 Gundam (coming this month)
7. Aile Strike Gundam
8. Aile Strike Rouge Gundam
9. Wing Zero Gundam (TV)
10. Turn A Gundam
11. Crossbone Gundam X1

And from there we're only missing variants (V Dash, V2A/B, G-Falcon, Wing Zero Custom) and supporting Gundams. Though if I'm right and Bandai's upcoming announcement is HG 2.0...

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

With the Gundam X being released, are we missing any lead MG outside of the obvious three? (XX, V2, G-Saviour)?

Kitfox88 posted:

GN Drives are a guilty pleasure of mine.
Likewise here, I really loved 00 S1 and think the whole green-particles, GN drive and condensors all over the MS is really cool.
MG Dynames please :swoon:

• Locked thread