Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

3 posted:

Word to Faltion for supplying me with this three-day distraction:

Fun build, with ridiculous articulation. Those hands are terrifying to work with though.

Also why does the Jesta need a holosight on its gun? It's a giant goddamn robot!

Almost all beam rifles in the Gundam universe have some sort of sight or scope on them. The pilot still needs help to aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Zwingley posted:

So now that I have a whole bunch of kits to touch up, I'm looking for matte topcoat recommendations from the thread. The Mr. Color stuff I used for the SD Deathscythe seemed alright, but frankly I have no idea if it's regarded as any good, especially for the price. :v:

Gunze Sangyo is generally regarded as top-quality stuff.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

TaurusOxford posted:

Almost all beam rifles in the Gundam universe have some sort of sight or scope on them. The pilot still needs help to aim.

Yeah, but they're almost always some kind of camera linked into the cockpit sensors. The Jesta has what is basically a gigantic Eotech:

which is dead useless if you can't actually bring it up to your eyes to sight in properly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
90% of giant robot design is about looking cool, not being practical.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm pretty sure the different imaginary space weapons all need different targeting software or firing solutions. It makes sense to have them on the weapons instead of on the robot. The sniper version has a cool face mask attachment, but its part of the weapons package.

As far as we know, the holosight could be a camera linked via the grip.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 27, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

3 posted:

Also why does the Jesta need a holosight on its gun? It's a giant goddamn robot!

Why does a beam rifle need a silencer? :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

Why does a beam rifle need a silencer? :v:

Who is saying it is one? It could be a minovsky concentrator or some other bullshit. If you were going to put brand new tech in the hands of dumb rear end soldiers it would help if it looked like something they already knew.

At what point did beam weapons stop being something only ships and the major suits like the Gundam had? When did grunts start getting them, Zeta?

Why does it need a foregrip when its a robot that should have no issue holding a gun stable?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Fauxtool posted:

At what point did beam weapons stop being something only ships and the major suits like the Gundam had? When did grunts start getting them, Zeta?

GMs?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fauxtool posted:

Why does it need a foregrip when its a robot that should have no issue holding a gun stable?

BlitzBlast posted:

90% of giant robot design is about looking cool, not being practical.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a practical giant robot design is a gun with several thrusters and no pilot

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

They were most of the way there in MS-IGLOO

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Ball is the most practical design in the entire series. :ssh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fauxtool posted:

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Unless you have a Mobile Trace system, in which case humanoid robots with pilots are the most practical designs.

Which means G Gundam has the most practical robots ever.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So, I'm in Osaka and there's apparently a limited edition RX-78-2 being sold for an event. Do these things ever appreciate in value or not really?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Arbite posted:

So, I'm in Osaka and there's apparently a limited edition RX-78-2 being sold for an event. Do these things ever appreciate in value or not really?

If you mean do they go for outlandish prices on ebay, then yes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You're probably never going to find a buyer though, so might as well build it yourself.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Was in the big city today so had a chance to see a proper hobby store. Decided to start actual Gunpla and found the cheapest kit there and a Mitsubishi Zero. Glory to nippon.

Also have a special delivery coming in

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Seraphim is a nice kit, but you really need the HG Seravee Gundam to go with it, since Seraphim is Seravee's backpack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Seraphim is a nice kit, but you really need the HG Seravee Gundam to go with it, since Seraphim is Seravee's backpack.

Specifically, what you want is the HG Seravee GNHW/B. You get a few extra guns and attachments.

Also if you want an HG Kshatriya Repaired, HLJ's got them on clearance for about $40 before shipping

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Specifically, what you want is the HG Seravee GNHW/B. You get a few extra guns and attachments.
I have this one and it's really sweet; the hips on mine broke due to a fall but it still stands decently and looks dope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
While I remember, ScottyWired, here's some basic stuff that might help you if you plan to look for a second good kit to buy (feel free to correct/belittle me if I'm way off base with any of this).

• Avoid Gundam SEED kits like the plague. The exceptions to this are the Strike and Strike Rouge with a "main" line number of about 160/170-something (all you really need to do is not buy the one with the "R01" number on it).
  • Avoid any HGUC Kit (the general range with mostly-tan box colours) lower than roughly number 75-80. There's more than likely some good ones older than that, but more as a general rule of thumb.
  • Don't go near the "Fighting Action HG" Wing kits. They're cheap as hell for a reason.
  • The HG Exia sucks, but the rest of the Gundam 00 kits are generally pretty good (the actual titular 00-Gundam is one of the best HG kits, period, in terms of articulation)
  • Most of the Build Fighters kits are really good, but the Build Gundam Mk-2 and (I think...?) the Quebeley Papillion suffer from being built off really old molds.

Zedd posted:

I have this one and it's really sweet; the hips on mine broke due to a fall but it still stands decently and looks dope.

Hell, it's not like the Seravee could do big dramatic poses anyway :v:. It's only got one good pose and that's "GUN DOWN THE MOTHERFUCKERS" :bsdsnype::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, it's not like the Seravee could do big dramatic poses anyway :v:. It's only got one good pose and that's "GUN DOWN THE MOTHERFUCKERS" :bsdsnype::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:
You'd actually be surprised how well that thing posed and balanced for it's bulk. I know 00's style isn't for everybody but that design was really well thought out.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neddy Seagoon posted:

*]Avoid any HGUC Kit (the general range with mostly-tan box colours) lower than roughly number 75-80. There's more than likely some good ones older than that, but more as a general rule of thumb.

Gonna have to call this a poor rule of thumb. HGUC has been a fairly high-quality line from its inception, and lots of the older kits still hold up quite well. Some aren't so great of course, but nothing in the line is comparable to cheap garbage like the Wing Fighting Action kits.

As always, Dalong.net should be your reference point for deciding the merits of a kit before you buy.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I remember, ScottyWired, here's some basic stuff that might help you if you plan to look for a second good kit to buy (feel free to correct/belittle me if I'm way off base with any of this).

[list]
[*]Avoid Gundam SEED kits like the plague. The exceptions to this are the Strike and Strike Rouge with a "main" line number of about 160/170-something (all you really need to do is not buy the one with the "R01" number on it).

There are a couple HG SEED kits that are actually pretty nice, namely the Astray and GINN kits. Make sure you're getting the HGs or you'll be in for a rude awakening when you complete the model and the drat things don't have elbow joints.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

There are a couple HG SEED kits that are actually pretty nice, namely the Astray and GINN kits. Make sure you're getting the HGs or you'll be in for a rude awakening when you complete the model and the drat things don't have elbow joints.

There's no reason to buy the old Astrays since they made new ones last year.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

• Avoid Gundam SEED kits like the plague. The exceptions to this are the Strike and Strike Rouge with a "main" line number of about 160/170-something (all you really need to do is not buy the one with the "R01" number on it).
  • Avoid any HGUC Kit (the general range with mostly-tan box colours) lower than roughly number 75-80. There's more than likely some good ones older than that, but more as a general rule of thumb.
  • Don't go near the "Fighting Action HG" Wing kits. They're cheap as hell for a reason.
  • The HG Exia sucks, but the rest of the Gundam 00 kits are generally pretty good (the actual titular 00-Gundam is one of the best HG kits, period, in terms of articulation)
  • Most of the Build Fighters kits are really good, but the Build Gundam Mk-2 and (I think...?) the Quebeley Papillion suffer from being built off really old molds.

Huh. Every single kit I own falls into one of those categories. I guess that would explain why they were all so cheap.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

There's no reason to buy the old Astrays since they made new ones last year.

The new Astray was the one I was talking about, assuming we're both talking about the one that comes with two anti ship swords.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

The new Astray was the one I was talking about, assuming we're both talking about the one that comes with two anti ship swords.

I'm confused by what kit you're talking about then(when did Astrays use anti-ship swords?). I'm referring to these three kits:
http://www.dalong.net/review/seed/sh58/p/sh58_01.jpg
http://www.dalong.net/review/seed/sh57/p/sh57_01.jpg
http://www.dalong.net/review/seed/sh59/p/sh59_01.jpg

Edit: \/\/\/ - Oh, the M1 Astray.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 27, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm confused by what kit you're talking about then(when did Astrays use anti-ship swords?). I'm referring to these three kits:
http://www.dalong.net/review/seed/sh58/p/sh58_01.jpg
http://www.dalong.net/review/seed/sh57/p/sh57_01.jpg
http://www.dalong.net/review/seed/sh59/p/sh59_01.jpg

This one, it was part of the Remaster line, and was based on the vanilla Astray instead of the crazy awesome versions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bimmi posted:

Gonna have to call this a poor rule of thumb. HGUC has been a fairly high-quality line from its inception, and lots of the older kits still hold up quite well. Some aren't so great of course, but nothing in the line is comparable to cheap garbage like the Wing Fighting Action kits.

As always, Dalong.net should be your reference point for deciding the merits of a kit before you buy.

Fair enough. That one was mostly from some half-remembered comment about them only getting to a quality comparable to the newer ones around then.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It really depends on where you set your baseline quality. If you're going from the old 1/144s, any HG ever will blow them out of the water. If you're going by what comes out today, you'll... probably still be fine with old HGs, but it's from the CCA HGs onwards that you'll be in more familiar territory.

It hit me that I haven't posted WIPs in a while. Progress on my projects has been slow thanks to numerous other duties, so all I've done on my two X kits is build the torsos and the solar panels.

These things shine in the afternoon sun.

Pretty crazy shadows too.

Picked up RD X1 FC a while back too. Not really sure what the mantle mode is supposed to be (it isn't in the MG, and the wiki doesn't list anything), but until I get the X2 and X3 it'll do.

Also X + 2X + X(1) = 4X, no XXX jokes. :colbert:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
4X (XXXX) is a brand of beer in australia :v:

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
So I stopped by the HobbyLink Japan booth at comicon to say hello and buy some plastic. They had a Neo-Zeong on display, and were perfectly fine with my playing around with it. Holy poo poo its big, but those arms fall off pretty easy while posing. Warning to anyone planning to dropping their life savings on one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was wondering how the hell I was going to grab an Armed Armor XC, and then I find out Model Legend's making one. $21 shipping is a bitch but that's still literally $100 saved so okay!

Now watch Bandai announce a general release Norn for Christmas or a web exclusive FA Unicorn plan B.

EDIT: Oh my god I'm spending ~$210 on a loving MG Unicorn. That's it, this is the last project.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 29, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does the HG Airmaster come with its Gundam suitcase?

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
What any sentient being who just figured out they have hands would do, naturally. I am blown away by these hands, this being my first MG.

no broccoli please fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 29, 2014

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Roots Radical posted:

What any sentient being who just figured out they have hands would do, naturally. I am blown away by these hands, this being my first MG.

What really blew me away when I built the Jesta (first MG in a long time) was that the hands are like, pre-assembled. I really want to see the design process behind making Gunpla.

I also built my first RG model a couple weeks ago and I was awestruck at the level of detail on an HG sized model. My friend just came back from comic-con and helped me pick up some cheaper special editions and a Gunpla Navigation Catalogue 2014. Flipping through the pages... Man what I would give for a Real Grade Jesta, though I know that won't happen for a very long time... If at all. :allears:

Fauxtool posted:

As far as we know, the holosight could be a camera linked via the grip.

Maybe they found it was cheaper to mass produce too! Looks lighter than the scope/cameras on the other beam weapons in the past.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 29, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

[timg] that dude.

Also if you're interested in how the Emotion Manipulators are made, look up Sonic Welding. The same process is used for RG inner frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I was wondering how the hell I was going to grab an Armed Armor XC, and then I find out Model Legend's making one. $21 shipping is a bitch but that's still literally $100 saved so okay!

Now watch Bandai announce a general release Norn for Christmas or a web exclusive FA Unicorn plan B.

EDIT: Oh my god I'm spending ~$210 on a loving MG Unicorn. That's it, this is the last project.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Too bad it doesn't come in green or blue psychoframe flavors, but I might just get one anyways.

• Locked thread