Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Would anyone like to recommend a master grade kit to me? I don't really follow Gunpla, I just build a kit every couple of years when the stars align. I prefer simpler MS designs- I'm a big fan of the Guncannon, GM79, and Zaku II- the Guncannon is the only one of those I don't have already. However, I'd really prefer to get something I can have shipped on Amazon prime, if possible. I don't really like kits with wings or a bunch of fiddly poo poo on the backpack, a lot of the more modern suits look really overdesigned to me for this reason, but I do like suits with shoulder cannons, because that just rules.

I really like the look of the Full Armor Gundam, but the fact that the armor pieces apparently stick on with little gummy bits that don't keep their hold is a huge mark against it. I was thinking of maybe the MG Jesta, it looks almost like an Armored Core suit but still has the realistic, workman-like quality I like in MS design. I was also thinking about the 1/20 Scopedog, because VOTOMS owns, but I couldn't find that for a reasonable price without huge shipping fees and a 6-week wait time from Japan attached. And I'd heard it's an older design with limited articulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I think I'll probably hold off on the Jesta and wait to see if they release a MG Jesta Cannon, cause I know I'll be remiss if I don't. Gouf is a possibility, I love those finger guns. How is the Heavyarms MG? It's one of the older ones, right?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

There actually was a Heavyarms MG that came out just a little while ago, since Bandai's been promoting a couple Wing spinoffs.

How do I tell which is the newer one?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I was looking at Gundam Store and More (which seems neat but almost everything is out of stock and their store interface is terribad) and they have some generic Zeon 1/100 scale hands listed for sale, but they're out of stock. My MG Zaku is missing a thumb and it'd be cool to be able to get a replacement, but on eBay it looks like they're all coming out of Hong Kong. The one time I ordered a Gundam piece from China it ended up being a piece of poo poo, not surprisingly. I wish I could pick up a full left shoulder and arm for my 1/100 GM, but I think the poor guy is forever destined to be "battle-damaged".

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I ordered (and got charged for) a Gouf 2.0 from Tatsu Hobby and then got informed that they've been out of stock for months, at which point they updated the store page to indicate as much. :geno: I guess I'll just have to find another kit that I like at a similar pricepoint.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh man, I'm conflicted between switching from the out-of-stock Gouf to a Zaku Cannon (sorta similar to the Zaku 2.0 I have but man the color scheme, those linked fusion guns, and shoulder cannon) or the RX-78 3.0 (I don't have an RX-78 yet).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

did they refund you in store credit or something? why do you have to switch to a different model instead of not buying anything?

Well, they offered to switch out a kit or refund me, but I still want a kit even if I can't get the Gouf.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Looking over these more recent (I think?) designs, it seems like one of the artists had a thing for shrouds/cloaks on mobile suits. Makes me wonder why there was never a six-shooter MS in a poncho, unless maybe I'm forgetting something from G-Gundam.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I got some copper paint to touch up the joints on the RX78 3.0, but can I do it without priming?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Can you not use acrylic-based paints? All my experience comes from warhams days long since passed, but it's just a little detail work I need to do and if it means buying primer and enamel paints, I'll probably just chill on it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, those "system base" kits Bandai sells for 1/144 models are really neat, I wish there was a 1/100 scale version. It kinda looks like you might be able to use 1/100 for them, though, if you don't mind it being a little tall for the garage.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

You can, since they expand to get wider. Have you looked at the "H-Hangar" / Free Link System stuff yet?

I'd never heard of those, but they look super cool.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

If I really mess up panel lining somehow, and I can't get it off with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, could I stand to just drop the part into a dish of rubbing alcohol?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Do waterslide decals have the wax paper sheet beneath them like rub-ons? I'm wondering how I can tell which is which. MG kits no longer come with waterslides?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

During an awkward step in the process for my Gouf 2.0, one of the little pistons shot out across the room somewhere, and now I'll surely never find it (the lighting is bad in here and it's a tiny grey piece on a grey carpet). Now the leg won't work :smith:

Edit: False alarm, seems the piston part was cosmetic- articulation range remains the same with or without it, comparing the legs.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 10, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I have a couple of flash marks left over on my kit that I've already evened out as much as I can with the hobby knife; it's more the discoloration/rough patch than the actual nub. I don't plan on painting this, so is sanding it down just going to make things worse?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Big ups to whoever suggested running a marker over those filed-down flash marks. I was able to go to Michael's and get a generic brand paint-pen of almost exactly the shade of the Gouf's lighter blue, and just a dab of it does wonders to blend the flash marks in.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

I've read that tip before and additionally that if you use a flat top coat it will conceal it. I haven't seen anyone um... 'non-pro' do it so if this is the route you go down will you share pics? I just wanted to see what an average joe like myself would get without knowing a ton about paint and all tips and tricks.

Honestly, I don't think anything more is necessary- I actually have to look for the flash marks now, and sometimes it takes me a while to locate them even. All I did was cut the flash off with pliers, then file it down as close as possible with a hobby knife. This left behind a little rough patch with some white coloration from plastic stress, so I went to a craft store today and bought a "craftsmart" brand paint-pen of a matching shade. It was less than two bucks. I tested it on an extra piece I had laying around to make sure it wouldn't do anything weird and it checked out, so I went over all the light blue plastic today just dabbing the paint pen on the rough spots, and now they're basically gone.

Edit: I tried to get a picture but my cellphone camera isn't a high enough resolution to really grab it. The area around the knees had big, white flash marks before I went over them.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 12, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I don't know how anybody gets the flash off those Zeon hose pieces, though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

VOTOMs rules, and it's kind of funny how it is basically anti-toyetic in comparison to Gundam.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

According to an article I read, they're going to have proper displays with built models for show, so it seems like they're somewhat serious about putting an effort in to establish the brand at B&N. To think, I used to work there and would get 30% to 40% off! Though, I can't imagine they'll carry anything I actually care about; I'm only really interested in MG kits, and even then, 80% of Gundam looks like tacky, overdesigned anime madness to me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, the Gouf's sword does not fit into the hand peg well at all. It can hold it alright with just the fingers, but it limits the poses for sure.

Edit: RIP to the GM that's about to get wrecked

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 13, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqs1JLDbp4

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So have you all ever just scrapped a kit and just rebought it due to mistakes? I just ordered a new Turn A after just seeing degradation from the enamel thinner and stuff from my own gently caress ups and at this point I just want a fresh start on it.

I haven't bought a new one, but I've begun to use my first kit, MG GM79, for spare parts and testing things out on. It lost its left arm/shoulder long ago, and I've been meaning to make a destroyed suit kit out of it. As much as I love the GM and would like to get another someday, it's been very useful to have a kit I don't care about messing up to learn with.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 14, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I am very bad at dry transfers.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

If my warhams days were any indication, I'm way worse at those.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I take it back, dry transfers are actually very easy when your tape is actually adhesive.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anybody ever bought the aftermarket LED units from Hong Kong? Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Green-MG-1-100-00-QANT-OO-Raiser-Gundam-LED-Light-Parts-/350862521439?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item51b109345f

Edit: Actually, it looks like maybe the mono-eye kits no longer get the head movement tracking with the LED kit? That's lame, I'd just grab the one yellow one from Bandai for my RX78, then.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 17, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Every now and then, I realize a poseability option that I'll never know how I missed before. Today, I realized the Gouf shield can be rotated, which makes it look way less ridiculous when being used to, y'know, shield. I also realized the other day that the Zaku arm can bend a lot further than I'd given it credit for, so it actually can hold its bazooka in a firing pose after all! And the Zaku MG can be held under the arm, which allows a much more natural firing pose than when I'd previously tried to have the shoulder stock flush with the shoulder (though that is possible with some finagling).

Also, you can stick a beam saber blade into a beam spray gun/beam rifle to get a firing effect without buying a kit for it.

Can't wait to see what kind of poses I can get out of the RX-78 3.0 :getin:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Missing Link posted:

Supposing someone were to want decals other than Gundam ones, like Swat or Riot cop decals, where would they be gotten?

The obvious answer would be scale military kits, but I don't really know what kind of sites you'd go to or keywords to search for that. You might also try looking for Patlabor decals, though? I didn't look hard, and this isn't a great choice, but here's at least some "police" ones:

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/easy-decals/easy-758

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love mono-eye suits but I loving hate doing individual cable links. I just built a Gelgoog and I was overjoyed that there were no cables at all.

It took me two kits to realize that those long rods that eventually get cut off are for sliding down the sprue and collecting all the cable links at once. I'd been doing them individually and then pushing them on with my hands. I didn't realize it until I saw someone doing it on a photo on dalong.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

What is particularly bad about the 3.0 arms, and is there a common mistake I should watch out for?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, the MG Tallgeese was released in 2013 and still uses sword/gun/fist hands? That's disappointing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Does Heavyarms extend to those criticisms? That's on my list as a kit I may like, but if it's flimsy/finnicky/poorly poseable I don't want it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I'll probably pick that up next, then, thanks. I wish they'd make a new Rick Dom, though I guess there's only so much poseability you're going to get out of that suit anyways.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Picked up a sweet MG Rick Dom, char's. I assumed it was from the novels but the title on the box reads "gihren's something" I can't read Kanji. Anyone know what does it refer to? It's my first zeon model btw, a choice between that and a black tri stars zaku.

I realize what you're referring to now, but googling "Gihren's Rick Dom", I was really wishing that somehow this kit had escaped my attention:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Thanks to the person who recommended HLJ's H-Hangar system. Now I can finally fix my GM!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yup, I've lost a piece on almost every kit I've built thusfar. Thankfully, the most crucial piece I ever lost was a skirt armor piece for my GM, which was cosmetic (but pissed me off to look at) and I found it something nuts like six months later on the floor somewhere.

Building that H-Hangar, I lost one of the piston inner pieces, so I didn't have enough to make the cool double-jointed robotic arm that was my favorite part of the kit. I looked forever, gave up, went to sleep, woke up, looked more, didn't find it. Then I clipped off a piece of the tree's siding and it fit perfectly, even had the exactly right-sized nub on the side so that it could extend but wouldn't slide out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I don't think I wanna pay out the 10-15 bucks people are asking for LED drives, but I've heard the RX-78 3.0 eyes look kinda bad without it. If I build the kit and judge for myself, will it be a pain/risk breaking something if I decide to disassemble it and swap the LED in later? Or is it as easy as popping the head out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

The Unicorn Phenex wasn't in the books or the show, Unicorn just prints money for Bandai. That's why they're doing the Origin movies, high quality animation of UC suits is the best advertisement they can get

Oh man, are there gonna be more UC79 kits coming out? I'd love to see a new MG Guncannon, Rick Dom, or Z'gok.

• Locked thread