Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just ordered the RG RX-78-2. I haven't put together a kit in years and I'm dying to work on this one. I'm really hoping they release more of the Zeon stuff at RG because I love some of those goofy-rear end designs. I'd love a Z'gok if it was released in its original colors and not just Char's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the best thing to use for lining if you don't want to drop the dollars on dumb pens?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bimmi posted:

Nice dark lines on either side of the panel groove but not at the bottom, generally.

Really, just suck it up and buy the $3 pen so your twenty dollar model kit doesn't look like a toddler built it.

Wanna know where to get that pen for $3 then because it's six on amazon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Whoever designed the loving feet on these things (The real grade skeletons) so that you have to gently pry an itty bitty piece out of the slot should be taken out back and shot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seriously I spent probably fifteen minutes prying the first one out without wrecking the rest of it (second one went quicker because I found a little jackknife to use as a pry). gently caress whoever designed this poo poo. Shoot them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Double posting because this is what three hours looks like:

Kill me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I finished the RG RX-78-2. I'm sticking to HGUC poo poo for a while. gently caress me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S-Alpha posted:

I really want to see you have a go at an MG like the FA Unicorn, Ex-S, or Sazabi now. If you thought the RG Gundam was finicky and time consuming, I'm curious about you reaction to those kits.

I'm finding a gun already.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just got a new job, which means it's time to blow a nice chunk of a paycheck on plastic robots! I was hoping someone here could recommend me some cool/fun to assemble HGUC kits. I'm trying to keep it relatively simple after the 12 hour autism fest that was the RG RX782.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gaius Marius posted:

Since your looking to blow your paycheck I think the HG Neo Zeong may be just what your looking for.

Let's aim a touch cheaper.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone built this Scopedog: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN951922/Sci

I'm trying to figure out how big it is and if it's going to dwarf my HGUC/RG stuff. Alternately, is there a smaller kit?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
poo poo, that's definitely way bigger than my HG stuff. I'll have to think about that one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just got my first paycheck at the new job, decided to blow a little on a MG Build Strike FP. Knowing my luck, that, the Zaku, and the Z'gok will all get here at once.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My MG Build Strike FP is going to be here soon! :dance: Pretty excited to put this together if only to have a little break from UC aesthetics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I opened up my first MG a little bit ago.

What have I gotten myself into please send help

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

ONE OF US, ONE OF US...

Kidding aside, what kit, and what do you need help with(assuming that's a genuine help)?

Build Strike FP and nah, I figure if I managed to do the RG RX-78-2 by myself as my first kit I should be fine. There's more parts but they're also bigger which helps a lot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I spent no poo poo two hours taking the torso on the Build Strike apart and putting it back together again because I can't get the chest piece and the part that goes on the back of the shoulders to come together perfectly flush, or even close to it. I finally gave up because I'm afraid I'm going to break something if I take it apart one more time. I figure I'll pose it with the backpacks guns up and that'll help distract from it. Not like anyone but me will see it who knows anything about these kits

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bimmi posted:

This is totally a shot in the dark, but double-check the shoulder joint assemblies to make sure they're orientated properly and not installed on the wrong sides.

Turns out part of the shoulder wasn't pushed together all the way because it's a tight rear end fit and the pictures are bad at showing where to stop. I give up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

Christ dude, don't give up that easy.

I'm not actually giving up. I'm sitting in front of the tv watching Parks and Rec and working on my gundam. I'm just irritates by how loving long I messes with that chest assembly for no reason.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I finished the build strike, but there's a few parts left over, and I cna't tell if it's because there's mass-produced runners where not every part is used (some of them are borderline identical to parts I did use) or what. I've gone through the manual four or five times and I can't find them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also my fingers are really goddamn sore from pushing robots together and I just got the slip saying my HGUC Zaku and Z'gok are at the main office waiting for me and I'm trying really hard not to order the Unicorn Full Armor MG right now.

Kill me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh you haven't hit the low point yet. See, what happens is you think you've got all the kits you want. And then at some point between the next few days and a few weeks you'll see something. In a local hobby shop, or on a site like HLJ that catches your eye for some reason or other. And you'll pull the trigger because one more kit won't hurt.

The cycle begins.

There's no local shops, really, so I've got that going for me, at least. It's probably a good thing MG is so expensive. Stops me from binging right fuckin' now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zedd posted:

I really think you need the Mg Universe Booster to supplement the Build Strike btw.
(I'm only half in jest)

See if I hadn't gotten the Build Strike FP I'd do it but he's already got a sweet backpack with lasers.

Our own MechaGojira just showed me the Neo Zeong and I'm tryin reallllll hard to resist the temptation.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Danazine is still a robot dragon. :shrug:

Fake Edit: With a dong laser.

Please tell me there's a kit of this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I got the Zaku and the Z'gok at 10 this morning. Now I just have the Z'gok to assemble. Also, I've figured out how much over time I need to work to swing the Neo Zeong plus the Unicorn kits I want to go with it.

My life is a sham.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Monaghan posted:

drat man you're hitting the plastic crack pipe pretty hard. I approve.

You know what? I take it back. Just the part about having the Z'gok to assemble, though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The cycle has begun. :unsmigghh:

I'm thinking I want to get an HG Unciorn FA and a Banshee and then the Zeong and then do a little thing like they're just getting fuckin' owned by it because hell yes and then I'm gonna just cut my nuts off because I'll never need them again. Also, a Zee Zulu. He has flippers. That rules.

When I get home tonight I'm going to put the ones I have up on my bookshelf so they're off the kitchen table and I'll take a picture to commemorate the moment I consented to never having sex again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

madpanda posted:

so your going to take a picture of the neo zeong reciept?

also please tell me thats the hg non unicorn z'gok you are going to build. The difference between that's complexity and the neo zeong should be funny.

Most of what I've done is HGUC stuff including the Z'gok. I really just love that design and wanted it on my shelf next to my karate bugmen and my lumberjack robot fighter. My first kit was the RG RX-78-2 though and I did that in a day.

I plan on documenting the Neo Zeong from start to finish, starting with the receipt and ending with my ritualized suicide.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

RG kits are essentially MGs, right down to the inner frame. It's Bandai so nothing is super complicated, but you might want to give a MG kit a go first(a recent one), just so you can get some practice in before you try the same thing when it's smaller.

Edit: Of course, if MGs are out of your budget or you'd rather avoid 1/100 kits for scale purposes, you should do fine with either the Mk.II or Destiny. Just avoid RG Zeta.

If you're a real man you buy an RG RX-78-2 as your first kit and spend twelve straight hours cussing at it and then immediately order more kits and then stare at the Neo Zeong. Trial by fire motherfuckers.

edit

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 11, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I decided to cancel my Zeong order so I could throw a brown gundam marker in with it and it turns out that the addition of a marker was going to add literally a hundred dollars in shipping to my order. What the gently caress, Japan

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
See that makes sense now. Whatever, ill just wait till I order Build Burning and Exia next month.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Eirgen posted:

Didn't you say the Gojulas was too big and went 'nope' on it? Neo Zeong is way bigger :P

Good luck with that, please post your progress

Definitely wasn't me. Zoids were my favorite thing growing up, there's no way I'd disparage a kit. And yeah, I'm documenting this thing as I go, including the receipt.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 11, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This weekend when I get some more tools the big thing I want is an exacto, so I can trim nubs down a little better. Nobody I know knows anything about Gunpla, so as long as it looks good, it's fine. I don't need it to be perfectly smooth. Like right now even knowing where i missed nubs on the MG Build Strike FP I can't pick them out just from looking at it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Slap it together however you feel like. Make an abstract sculpture out of it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How is the MG FA Unicorn anyway? It caught my eye as something I want to do after I get done with the Zeong and my little diorama and maybe the 00 Gundams.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oof. I was planning on getting the HG FA Univorn and Banshee Destroy anyway for my dumb little diorama, but it sucks that such a cool looking kit is actually dog poo poo. Any recommendations for particularly good MG kits?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Let me know if you find it, id be interested in picking that up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who has tips on panel lining? How do I know what to line?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

line indented things, dont line around raised areas like the head MGs

I don't know what you mean by "Head MGs"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think I'm the only filthy heathen who actually likes the Dalong look on certain kits. THey're big silly anime robots in bright colors, having them look really cartoony makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Missing Link posted:

Some kits looks like they were lined with a big fat Sharpie and that looks like a hot mess.

Yeah I don't do all that, I'll do some of the extra stuff he does that's not specifically panel lines but it's still real fine lines with a Gundam marker.

Just got back from Hobbytown with new tools and RG Char's Zaku. My name is Dickeye and I am an addict.

• Locked thread