Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Crossposting from the Etrian Odyssey thread in Games. I preordered this a while ago, and it came in on Thursday. Full disclosure - I had no idea this was going to be a full model kit. So, now I have an excuse to start another hobby! :retrogames:

Picked up a sprue cutter, hobby knife and cutting mat, going to build it tomorrow. Gonna be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
help help three hours of my life disappeared and when I came to this happened:

I finished up assembly a little bit ago. I'm gonna have to sand out some rough spots, and then I'll be painting, but holy poo poo this was a ton of fun to do. I even managed to not nick myself with my knife!

W.T. Fits posted:

There's a kit for the Imperial due out in November.

Now that I know what I'm in for, I'm even more stoked for this kit. Now I know why they call this plastic crack.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
This just came in. Perfect way to start the week. :getin:

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Day two and 5 hours later:

All that's left to do before I do some cementing is painting. There are a couple of parts that don't fit as well together as they should, namely the inner 'wing' panels, but I'd planned on cementing them in to begin with. This kit has way too many tiny parts that could be lost far too easily not to secure them :shobon: I have a desperate need for the white Ginkei to go along with it now.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Today may have been a bad day for my wallet to browse Amiami - Kotobukiya is rereleasing the Metal Gear Rex kit, and WAVE is releasing a Metal Slug kit. :retrogames:

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Picked up the white Ginkei ship from Ikaruga to match the black Ikaruga I built a month ago. Some progress pictures from today:

The instructions don't really make mention of it, but the parts at the bottom of this picture require glue/cement to stick together properly, and holy poo poo was it difficult to get everything to sit together right. The pieces didn't sit as flush as they should, so I had a hell of a time getting them together.

At the very least, I got one side done today. Going to make a run for some paints I need and finish construction tomorrow.

And a picture of the Ikaruga, cause why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Finished up the Ginkei's construction.

Somebody was asking about the difficulty of the build - The biggest issues I came across were that the bits of 'wing' on the gray rails coming of the main wing are fiddly as hell and require cementing. Also, the instructions have you build two different versions of that piece without telling you that either step is optional, so. :v: The only other aside I have is that the way the main body fits together is a bit loose, so I really recommend cementing a lot of it, too. The build isn't that bad at all, but we'll see how the waterslide decals go :froggonk:

• Locked thread