Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Is the Amazing Booster set from the Build Fighters line compatible with older HGUC kits? I have a Gyan I'm working on, and the copyright date on the instructions is 1999. Would I be able to just add the parts right on, or would I require some extra elbow grease to make the Gyan Amazing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

It should be compatible with anything from the HGUC line, although it all depends on how you intend to attach the parts.

BlitzBlast posted:

The Amazing Booster was made to work with Zaku kits. On anything else, it's kind of just "try it out and see if it looks alright".

You'll probably be able to attach at least one of the components though.

TARDISman posted:

It's compatible with most Zaku kits, but the little nubs that they put on the handles of the weapons so they stay in place have some slight issues with older kits.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looking at it on Dalong, I gotta say no. It's really built for a Zaku kit, and there aren't really any of the mounting points needed for the Amazing Booster's parts. All you might be able to do is use the shoulder parts in their "knuckleduster" version with handles attached, but even then the hands are so old they might not have the clearance (or too much clearance) to hold them properly. You can't even get any of the other Boosters onto the Gyan because it lacks the standardized waist pole on newer kits, and the back skirt would probably prevent even using the butt-plug flip-up mounting arm.

Oh well. I'll figure out something to do with it. Worst case scenario, it gives me an excuse to pick up a Zaku of some kind.

On a lighter note, found some old photos of an old HGUC Gouf I built around a decade or so ago.

Didn't really do much in terms of customization with it, but I'm still happy with how the paint job came out looking. :unsmith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Last night, I was going through the parts of an old HGUC Gogg I dug out of storage. I found most of it was already painted and a few pieces were put together and was wondering why I never got around to finishing it. And then I realized it's because I'm missing one of the fingers/claws.

Any ideas on what I should do? I kind of want to finish it, but I'm not sure how to go about replacing that lost finger/claw.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Who wants to see what happens when your action base gives out and your Full Armor Unicorn Gundam falls three feet to the floor:

drat, that looks brutal. What did you mean when you said the base gave out? As in the arm/peg thing it was attached to just finally buckled under the weight and snapped or something? Or was it just really back heavy and eventually fell over?

Either way, sucks to see something like that happen. Hope you eventually manage to get it back together.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

May you find that fallen hero before the vacuum does :patriot:. I generally just say gently caress it and build mine on a low coffee table rather than at my desk (not the least bit because my desk is a cluttered mess). Anything that goes flying off has a lower airborne arc and can't go disappearing halfway across the goddamn room.

I remember a long time ago, someone mentioned a trick they used for finding contact lenses that fell out of their eye and on to the carpet. Take a vacuum cleaner that has a hose for attachments and cover the end of the hose with a nylon stocking/pantyhose. Then just vacuum around where you think it fell; the suction will pick it up off the floor while the nylons will keep it from being swallowed. Presumably, the same method could be used for finding model parts.

Also, my GM Sniper K9 and HG Turn A arrived today. Also got a pair of extra "HG Customize Campaign" weapon sets with them (C which is some kind of beam rifle, it looks like, and E which is some dual-sword looking thing).

I was irrationally overjoyed to see that the GM Sniper K9 actually comes with a bunch of little 1/144 scale Zeon soldiers. :swoon:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

The best part about Airmaster is that it finally confirms All Gundam will cover the side Gundams too.

Please, please, please let this mean we eventually get a HGFC Nether Gundam. :pray:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I have a question about the Master Grade Shining Gundam.

The kit comes with two versions of the V-fin and the top fin on the head, one set on the normal yellow plastic runner, and the second set molded out of a softer yellow plastic that feels a bit rubbery.

Why'd they include the two sets made from different materials?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

It is also a god drat miracle of engineering for its time, just like MG ZZ and MG V.

I sometimes wonder if Tomino had the ZZ and the V be as gimmicky and ridiculously complicated as possible as a subtle "gently caress you and your model kits" to Bandai.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Bandai really doesn't want the thing to fail, it's crazy how much advertisement it's gotten.

It's just a shame that, well, is anyone here actually thinking of getting it?

As much as I want to, I can't really justify spending that kind of money on a model kit I'll probably never get around to finishing and have no place to display properly even if I did finish it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm just hoping some :smuggo: rear end in a top hat enters one into some competition in Build Fighters season 2, only to be crushed almost immediately.

"I can use any high grade in this thing, huh? *BOMPF* How's this then? :v:"

Come to think of it, you'd probably need a GP-Base the size of a boogie board for the drat thing.

Given that there was a dude in the World Tournament who basically scratch-built a 1/144 scale Gaw Attack Carrier, I would not be surprised in the least if a Neo-Zeong showed up at some point in Build Fighters Season 2.

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm just so, so, so happy that HGAW is alive.

Hoping this means we get an HGAW Leopard relatively soon. Or some more HGAC stuff to go along with Wing and Wing Zero.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

My mind keep interpreting this image as the Xi attempting to smash through the Build Fighters logo for some reason. :psyduck:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing a lot of Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn recently, and it's been making me kind of want some of the kits from the Seed and Seed Destiny line. (Say what you want about the plots and characters, they still had some pretty sweet giant stompy robot designs.)

But I've been avoiding picking up any because every time Seed kits get brought up in this thread, the immediate response is, "The old Seed HG kits are trash/they suck/they're garbage, don't bother with them." So I've been assuming they were on par with the old trash $5 No Grade G/Wing/X kits in terms of quality. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're getting the Airmaster, be aware there's apparently a possible flaw with the mold, though nothing officially stated yet.

I just checked mine, and it's fine. Which is great, because I really didn't want to have to potentially send it back to Japan to get it replaced. :sweatdrop:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

My birthday's just around the corner, and my brother ended up getting me a HGBF Exia Dark Matter. Is there anything I should be aware of before diving in to work on it?

On a related note, does anyone know where I can find translations for those little "One Point Technic" boxes in all the HGBF instructions?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

gently caress Crossbone...

Look at those loving awesome effect parts coming with Build Burning Gundam! :stare:

:swoon: So loving glad I've already got this preordered! :swoon:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TARDISman posted:

I really hope they make the Landsknecht and Fortress from EOIV sometime, I always loved their designs.

There's a kit for the Imperial due out in November.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Are we still posting our backlogs of kits? Too much :effort: to set up a decent photo but here's what I've got at the moment:

HGUC GM Cold Districts Type (In progress)
HGUC Gogg (In progress)
HGUC Guntank
HGUC Z'Gok
HGUC Dom Tropen
HGUC Gundam Mk. II (Titans Colors)
HGUC Jesta
HGUC Geara Zulu
HGUC Kshatriya
HGUC Gundam F91
HGUC V2 Gundam
HGAC Wing Gundam
HGAW Gundam Airmaster
HGCC ∀ Gundam
HGBF Build Strike Gundam Full Package
HGBF Zaku Amazing
HGBF Gundam X Maoh
HGBF Wing Gundam Fenice (In progress)
HGBF Sengoku Astray Gundam
HGBF GM Sniper K9
HGBF Gundam Exia Dark Matter
HGBF Cross Bone Gundam Maoh
HGBF Gouf R35
HGBC Amazing Booster
MG Gundam Ez8 (In progress)
MG Gouf Custom (In progress)
MG Gundam G05
MG Hyaku Shiki
MG Qubeley
MG Gundam Spiegel
MG Gundam X
MG AV98 Ingram 1
Two Action Bases

And I've got a preorder on a HGBF Build Burning Gundam and am waiting for HLJ to restock their HGFC Nobell Gundam (both of which should in theory be happening in October).

Help. :negative:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

You guys are crazy. I have my own house and even I wouldn't have the room for all that...

That's just the stuff I have unbuilt. I still have a bunch of assembled Master Grades and no grades somewhere around here that I haven't been able to find since we moved here about 7 years ago. Sometimes I'm not sure if I want to find them or not. :ohdear:

(Then I remember that my MG God Gundam and Master Gundam are among them and I totally need to get off my rear end and try and find them again. :shepicide:)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cassa posted:

I'm sure I'll be able to stop at one.

Sure you will. That's what we all said. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

muike posted:

Anyone have some good suggestions for a Zeta Plus colorscheme? I could do the normal primer gray + blue look for it, but the inevitable C1 would work great in that colorscheme too.

Paint it up to look like the VF-1S from Macross.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I've been sorely tempted to buy both a HGUC Qubeley and a HGBF Qubeley Papillion and building them just so I can use them as a reference for converting that MG Qubeley I've got into a Qubeley Papillion. :shepspends:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Oh god I wish I didn't love the ZZ so much because this MG is the worst poo poo.

I'm fairly certain the design intent behind the ZZ on Tomino's end was "Make it as hideously complex as possible to gently caress over Bandai's plamo division."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

... Kind of want that Nataku, because barring an actual eventual HGAC, it's the only way I can think of to make an old idea of mine a reality:

No idea how I'd kit bash an RG torso together with an HGFC Nobel, but I'd find some way to make it work, dammit.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

StrifeHira posted:

Oh God in heaven, an Inverse Gundam.

...actually, thinking about it, might want some different feet, maybe the Exia's or AGE-1's or something without the high heels at least? If you're going for character accuracy, I mean.

You're probably right. It's just those weren't things that existed back when I hacked and slashed this together in MS Paint back in the early 2000's, so I had to make due with what the guy who ran the Gundam Project website had done art for.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey nerds make a decision for me: HG Unicorn Full Armor Destroy Mode, for the Zeong fight scene, or MG Turn A because it has a mustache? I'll do both eventually, which should I do first.

The beast of possibility can wait for a while. For now, I think it's Turn A's turn.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

You guys forgot "Build".

Build RG Hyper Nu Powered Full Armor Aile Leopard Heavyarms Launcher Custom Amazing Assault Shroud Sword Powereder Poweredest Hell Raiser Destroy Mode (ver. Ka) TRANS GRAHAM!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Build Burning Gundam and GM Cardigan are apparently out in Japan. Come on HLJ, where's that email about my HG BBG order... :f5:

Just checked on mine, and it's currently sitting in my private warehouse. Rather than wait for the Nobel I ordered to be restocked, I just went ahead and ordered a Powered GM Cardigan instead.

I've also got an Ez-SR preordered, and I'm still holding on to a GM Sniper K9... I think I might build the three of them as a team, going with a sort of Fighter-Mage-Thief composition (P-GM-C, GM Sniper K9, Ez-SR Itruder).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

My Build Burning Gundam and Powered-GM Cardigan came in a little while ago.

You know how GBF kits have those little "One Point Technic" boxes where the character who owns/pilots the kit gives you advice on how to do detailing for them?

The One Point Technic box for the Build Burning Gundam is done by Yuuma instead of Sekai. I thought that was a nice attention to detail.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

Did you ever find out where to get translations for those things?

Sadly, nope. :(

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think it's because it's based on the old Gundam Mk. II mold from the early 2000's. Which isn't a bad mold, mind you, but it's not as well engineered as more current stuff. Same deal with the Qubeley Papillion.

Or at least, that's what I remember people saying whenever the Build Mk. II and the Papillion have been brought up before.

On that note, I've got an old Titan's Colors Gundam Mk. II laying around that I haven't started on yet... would that be compatible with a Build Booster Mk. II? Or does the Build Gundam Mk. II's back differ just enough that I would have to make a few adjustments to make the booster unit fit?

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 20, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

Don't let everyone rain on your parade about the Mk-II. Theres a guy just above you working on an old kit and having fun, and I know theres a couple other guys working on some older kits on here.

If this is your first kit, lets be honest: its going to turn out crappy anyways. Nobody starts off a gundam meister and we all have some unpanel-lined ugly seamed skeletons in our closet.

What really matters though is making the tiny robots you like, and if thats the Mk-II good for you. Take some pictures when youre done and post em.

Personally, I agree with this. There's nothing more frustrating than asking the thread, "Hey is there a kit of [insert mobile suit here]?" and having everyone tell you, "Don't bother with that kit, it's garbage compared to the stuff Bandai's putting out now." Yeah, that's nice and all, but maybe I don't want the stuff Bandai's putting out now, I want [insert mobile suit here]. Just because something's old doesn't necessarily mean it's garbage.

BlitzBlast posted:

Forget "based on", it's literally the 2002 HGUC Gundam mkII with some parts and stickers to turn it into the Build mkII. Yes, the Build Booster will fit right onto it.

Excellent. Back to Amazon.com. :shepspends:

Literally The Worst posted:

Thinkin about the Christmas Underwear Buildathon

Wait, what now? :stare:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

HG 1/144 High Mock & HG 1/144 Mock Armory Set - Announced!

quote:

HG 1/144 High Mock (Release Date: Jan 2015, Price: 800 Yen)
HG 1/144 Mock Armory Set (Release Date: Jan 2015, Price: 600 Yen)

God dammit, Bandai, why you gotta make me wanna give you all my money? :shepspends:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Also, the Mega-Shiki and Mega-Shiki Build Custom set, because why not?

quote:

HGBF 1/144 Mega Shiki (Release Date: Dec 2014, Price: 1944 yen)

HGBC 1/144 Mega Shiki Build Custom Set (Release Date: Dec 2014, Price: 648 yen)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Also, presented without comment:

What, no Gundam X Maoh? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I've always maintained a certain degree of fondness for the humble Leo.

• Locked thread