Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I have like 15 sitting undone or something like that.

I keep meaning to finally break open the paints so I can do detailing, but I'm too lazy to clear my work area/table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Can anyone give me a quality rundown/review on this kit http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TOY-RBT-0331 ? It's the Rein Weissritter, it is over designed, it is hideously mishmashy, it looks like some DeviantArt kiddy's attempt to make a cool robot, and I love it. I wanna get it and the Aussenseiter linked in the op ( http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TOY-RBT-0304 ), since that got a really good review, but I don't know the Rein Weissritter's status and I would be very happy to have some advice on buy/don't buy.

Oh, also, my local hobby shop doesn't have any Tamiya Plastic Model Cement, and I accidentally snapped off the v-fin of my Gundam X Divider while trying to detail the little bastard. Any suggestions for fixing it, without say, getting a pin vice? I'm not planning to move it around much, and the part's too tiny for any real work. I just wanted something to glue it back on with, but not something horribly bad looking.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

SquirrelGrip posted:

Given the only series I have watched is 00 (the anime doesn't do much for me) I'm not fussed about characters or lore etc, I just like the engineering in the kits.

I'm painting a HG strike freedom matte gray and purple gloss, because, well it sounded good at the time.

As the mega size is so big and so flat I wondered how hard it would be to give it a plaid suit look with some fabric. Giant hipster attack robot.

gently caress that, get yourself some fabric and create a loving plaid shirt and jeans for it. loving Paul Bunyan Gundam standing over your tinier models, because gently caress you that's why.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Morgenthau posted:

I hate the fact that it comes with asymmetrical clown feet.
Not everyone likes doing that ridiculous yoga stretch pose, Bandai. :mad:

It's a good thing it's not real then!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dear poo poo, it's like you have a loving business going there. Buy low, sell high, make a profit as the middle man.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dr. Wang posted:

Why are models displayed in such an :effort: fashion at events or toy fairs or whatever? It's like, gently caress it, just stick that poo poo on an action base and make it look like you don't even give a poo poo about how it's displayed.

The RG Zeta reminds me of how I need to pick up the MK-II. I'll probably just get them both at the same time now. If the Zeta doesn't turn out to be a horrible mess, I'd like to see what they'd try after. I suppose they have to be reasonably confident that it isn't poo poo, right? Or else they wouldn't be releasing it. But then again...

Well, honestly, doesn't making a Zeta model essentially equal printing money for Bandai?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I thought the additional fuel tanks tended to be attached to the back?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So I bought some SRW models off HobbySearch, almost entirely because they were the only people I could find with Rein Weissritter.

Now I get the invoice, and guess what is somehow sold out? *sigh*

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Pffft, look at these people loving the Nu-Gundam.

GPB's Hi-Nu in Nu's colors is best, obviously. :c00l:

So, finishing off MG Sinanju... think I might actually clear coat this guy. I'm still working it over, but it's beautiful. Other than the shield, which seems completely a bitch to work on for no reason.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 25, 2012

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, how DO God and Master MGs still hold up? Is poo poo likely to fall off? Are they kinda stiff? Is their detailing clear and nice?

Basically, are they still worth buying, in this day and age?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Granted, I would buy the poo poo out of an MG Kshatriya, and that thing would probably need an entirely metal frame too. Also granted, however, it's relatively compact compared to the Nightingale's massively huge shoulder pads, crotch, and tail.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I remember reading secondhand that they have a shipment tied up in customs or something, but yeah, it's been a few months with no word whatsoever. The site DOES keep getting updated with new specials and poo poo, but you'd think they would at least say something.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Quick update: Gundam Store and More finally getting new stock Sept. 17. Items now up for pre-order.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I thought Gunbuster's arms were basically just too thick to properly cross, so you have to completely cheat. It wouldn't matter if it had the proper jointing; the arms simply cannot fold that way at any accurate size.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, so, my hobby shop is having a clearance sale. I picked up a Robot Damashii Tallgeese 3 there for like 60% off. Nice price, nice figure. Problem is, I get it home, open the box... and the right leg has busted off. It's pretty much impossible to see in package; it's held in place and pretty covered, so I'm not thinking they knew it was broken and sold it. Either way, though, it's busted, and they don't have another one. Since it was clearance, they probably won't get one, either.

So, I'd like to know, how should I fix this?

http://imgur.com/a/pdJQE

Just start throwing out ideas, don't worry about what I have access to. I might be able to get access to stuff I don't even know yet so I don't wanna cut any avenues off.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 10, 2013

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Would I need a pin vise to insert a metal rod? How do those work, exactly? I've heard of them before, in fixing all variety of things or just shoring them up, but I've never used one.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I get the feeling I should get one regardless, and I have multiple hobby shops, a Games Workshop, and other such places around here. I shouldn't have much trouble finding one, though advice on getting a good one would be nice. Also, when you say tiny drills, do they require power? I know, these are probably simple, idiot questions, but still. Thanks goons.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Might it have had something to do with the fact that, despite Japan's massive hard on for Zeta and the UC in general, a UC protagonist suit didn't make it? I mean, I love the Turn A, but I get the feeling it could give blowjobs and it would still get push back on that alone.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Bimmi posted:

And the two 1/60 HG-EX kits from G Gundam are both worth having.

Any more info about these? My local shop has them both, and I was thinking that it might be cool to have a really big G Gundam for a display piece, but I'm not sure how they are.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

What's building them like? Are they engineered like Master Grades, or what?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Are you saying that what you're looking for is a real jacket that you've seen, and you're looking for the source, or are you saying you'd like one made that way, and looking for someone to make it for you/wondering if it exists, but you don't know for sure?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also, since no one else seems to be mentioning it, your hobby shop worker was a real rear end in a top hat.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Modified kit.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The Buster will be significantly better engineered than the Heavy Arms you linked. Newer models (pretty much anything after 2003, and improving from there) will also have more plastic colors and this less mandatory painting. Generally, anything labeled HGUC is pretty good.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah, I didn't say it would be good. Just better engineered. It's still a pretty loving generic looking suit, and it's still a pre-00 non-HGUC HG. It's not going to be terrible, but it's not going to be a beautiful marvel either.

If you want a same-scale Wing model, Bandai recently released the Wing Gundam in their updated HG line, which is pretty nice. You can see it here.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 18, 2013

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I-I use Gundam paint markers to paint areas instead of using the stickers...

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I thought they were including adaptors to get around those issues, in regards to the backpacks?

Oh, this is something I wanted to ask. I have a bottle of Future; I usually use it for tightening joints. I don't have an airbrush, nor a garage, nor the money to get one, etc etc. What I DO have is a standard spray bottle. Future of self leveling; would I be able to fill a spray bottle with it, and spray a model with it like that? If the parts were still on the sprue or something, if nothing else?

Maybe a dumb question, but, you know, gotta learn somehow.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 24, 2013

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Oh, no, I don't mean tightening joints. I know how to do that, it's pretty easy. I mean to do a gloss finish.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wow, that does not look right, does it?

I can think of a few options; maybe panel lining over them again, maybe just taking a nail or a toothpick and sliding it along the decal where the panel line is, forcing some of it into the gap and making it look more indented there.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Zwingley posted:

E: Here's a couple shots of the suspect Heavyarms minus helmet

No slot for a V-fin. Also just noticed he's missing some clear plating on one shoulder. Bah.

The dealy on its head slides in and out, and the helmet slots in around it, and is therefore secured from what is falling off. I don't really know what the hell at this point.

It's apparently "Guren Gundam Kirahagane Gokusai Version". That's the right helmet.

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Kirahagane-Gokusai-Version/dp/B003Y2WDD8

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, the weird one with the clear parts is Musha Gundam Mk-IV. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10012058 He's unpainted, and the model is apparently molded in light blue when he's supposed to be white. No idea why.

Still not able to place the other two; also, the top one is very obviously Double X.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Zwingley posted:

This guy looks pretty complete. I don't know if he's missing any weapons or not.

This appears to be "Bakunetsu Gundam", possibly without the correct shoulders, or with them folded down, or something. It's hard to tell, because I can only seem to find pictures of the box itself. http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN60705/Gun

quote:

This guy is suffering from a missing shoulder and a broken sword. I've got the sword's blade and can glue it back into place, but he'll probably sit until the other shoulder pops up; poor thing can't even balance on both feet right now.

Kaiser Gundam - Kirahagane Gokusai http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10123725

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I just got an MG Gundam 3.0; what were the suggested replacement hands, if you think the "Emotion Manipulators" it comes with are way too loving big?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Crossbone-Gundam-Model/dp/B00IP5QQ9Q/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=099A71PQ3BMD6AFKKT5C

Ok guys, how do I wear this on my head, so I can enjoy a safe bike ride?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, I recently purchased a Robot Spirits Crossbone Gundam Full Cloth, because gently caress yeah pirate Gundam. However, it appears that I have lost/misplaced/had stolen by elves the little navy blue cap to its left knee pad. I could just yank the other one off to match, but that would make me feel like it was always incomplete. Anyone have any ideas for getting a replacement, or have a junker X1 they'd be willing to yank the knee cap off of?

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 13, 2014

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I don't have the box with me at the moment, but I got it through Amazon if that counts. Of course, it says that Amazon purchased items have to go through Amazon Refund/Exchanges, which seems overkill when all I need is one tiny piece. Thanks though.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Zedd posted:

This is the correct answer. Bitch took mah MS

The cigar is also required. See if you can get a really tiny LED or something to put in it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

madpanda posted:

Before I do it, how much of a horrible mess am I going to make top/clear coating (is this the same thing) a completed model? The few tutorials i've found seem to recommend doing it to individual pieces.

I ask if they are the same thing because I asked for top coat at the store and they said oh you mean clear coat, and handed me a can of testors spray lacquer matte which seemed to match up with the tutorials. But they refer to it as top coat.

They're the same thing. A top coat is (almost always) literally a clear coat of paint. It's protective, because it's another layer of paint anything damaging needs to go through. I would highly suggest testing it out on a piece of the model's sprue or something first, if you're worried, but it should work fine.

The easiest way to do a completed model, from what I've heard, is to pop the limbs and head and extra bits off, and spray each chunk individually. Also to spray them with the joints fully extended, and then again fully bent.

It should be really easy, though I'll admit I'm still working towards doing it myself.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

"Sir, is there a reason you colored the Sazabi with candy sugar, instead of paint?"

"It just seemed so delicious..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, over labor day weekend, I'm planning to build, or start on, this baby: http://dalong.net/review/seed/sh59/sh59_i.htm

I hate the way the gold plastic looks, and it's a bitch to make decals look good, so I'm planning to make this my first painting job. Looking for some tips.

What I've got in terms of paints is spray cans of:

Tamiya Gold (21 I think?)
Tamiya Matte Black (I kinda like matte)
Tamiya Grey Primer
Tamiya White Primer

Along with:

Testors Dullcoat (last resort)
Mr. Color Semi-Gloss Top Coat
Mr. Super Clear Flat
50 Alligator clips on sticks to hold pieces
Big mother fuckin' styrofoam circle base to jam the clips into
Paint brushes and a bunch of Tamiya color paints, including a red to use on the red spots
Gundam Markers (just because)
A little bottle of Tamiya Surface Primer
Tamiya Extra Thin Cement
Tamiya Masking Tape
Nippers, knives, sanding sticks
Deck outside to spray poo poo on
Maybe other things I forgot to mention

Ok, friends, tell me how not to gently caress up and somehow burn my house down, while making my kit look at least passable. My plan was to clip out all the black and gold pieces, sand the numbs off at the least, put them all on alligator clips (not together, just like, all gold, and then all black), prime them up, paint the gold ones up, mask the parts on the black ones I want to be red, paint the black ones up, remove the masking tape, hand paint the red spots, build that fucker, top coat the gently caress out of it, possibly die from horrible toxic fumes.

How many mistakes have I just made?

• Locked thread