Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So apparently they're making a Zaku II 2.0 in Black Tri Stars colors, which is great (it's pretty much the only reason I have to get a Zaku II 2.0 at this point), but considering the talk on the last page, they really need to get down to making 2.0 kits of some of the older, lovely MGs that weren't designed right. A new, better Sazabi, Wing Zero, F91, and so on would be great. I'd personally shell out mega bucks for a (Rick) Dom 2.0.

C'mon Bandai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

A new Sinanju and the Tallgeese? gently caress you Bandai, I need this money for food.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

The MG is probably going to be the Sazabi ver. Ka. Though if it's a ZZ 2.0, I'll... actually be pretty happy I guess.

Either one of these would be awesome. A MG ZZ 2.0 (with an optional Full Armor + cannon pack) would probably be the greatest thing though. There haven't been enough giant armored brick MGs released lately, which reminds me that I still need to buy an Ex-S.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've only just recently been in a position where I can start building a backlog, but right now I'm building the FA Unicorn, with an Epyon and RX-78 ver. Ka sitting half assembled on my other desk. Katoki Master Race. :smug:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm about halfway through with the FA Unicorn, and I have two comments:

1) The Destroy Mode transformation is weird. Half of it is super easy, the other half is as frustrating as pulling teeth. Special mention goes to the entire torso (good luck separating the armor without a knife) and the knees (there's this really annoying process where you have to pull a part on the knee off, pull up the psychoframe, then put the part back on. Problem is that the psychoframe is really loose, and you'll end up just pushing the thing down again instead of getting a solid connection). Does anyone have any tips for those parts?

2) I finally understand why people dislike Katoki so much because god drat this thing's legs are ridiculous.

I'm in the middle of building mine (got 5 more gatlings, two shields, one booster, and the shuttle yet to build), and the transformation isn't the big bitch of it all. The torso separates easily enough by just pulling on the arm joint, and the trick to the leg transformation is using your pair of tweezers or whatever to get in through the back of the leg and pushing it out so it clicks into place. Then it's just about setting the kneecap in place, which is the hard part because that thing doesn't really snap in, it kinda just sits in, which is a bit of a pain, but it could be worse.

What is the big bad bitch of it all is putting on all the decals if you want to. The stickers aren't too bad*, but Jesus loving Christ, whoever designed dry rub apply decals needs to be made unable to breed. Getting those tiny little bastards on without slipping and loving up the entire application is nerve-wracking.

*Note: This is relative. They're easy to apply, there's just 409 of them to apply, which is so far beyond bonkers it loops back around to the same place.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

409 sticker decals, yeah. I haven't bothered to count the dry-rub ones. And tape does help, but it doesn't really make it perfect, especially when, say, the area you're applying decals to has so many that need to be applied, that you end up risking putting tape over another decal and wrecking it when you pull it off.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I basically just want 27 different versions of the Serpent. Maybe swap one out for a Wing Zero TV version, I dunno.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 16, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Screw the other accessories, the cow is the best part of the kit.

Good to see your attempt at 'painting' the cow went about as well as mine did. I don't know who paints those pilot statues, but whoever does must do it under a microscope or something.

Also, I'm incredibly jealous that you got the green forehead decal into place properly. That drat thing would just not go in for me. :argh:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

Man, the Deep Striker is based around a robot whose name is literally pronounced "excess." Reasonable is kind of out of the question.

Not that I wouldn't mind more official Sentinel releases. Come on, Bandai. MG Ex-S 2.0. You can even call it a Ver. Ka for all I care.

To be honest, I'd be really happy if they started making kits of stuff from Advance of Zeta. Especially the Hazel Custom and the Woundwort. :swoon:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

As far as ridiculous clusterfuck kits go, I'd rather see a MG Penelope instead of Ex-S 2.0. I want to see someone try and make a decent kit out of that abomination.

I actually rather like the Penelope despite (maybe even because of) its excesses. Even if they couldn't do the whole hog, I'd like to get the Odysseus at the very least. I really like that design, simple, but with some cool additions.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I can only think it has something to do with the action base, but I have no idea how they would expect me to do that step when it's completely assembled.

That's a little thing for adding some mobility to the legs. You remove the lock holding the 'joint' in place, swing the joint down, and lock it back into place. Generally I think it's something they put in there to make it easier to put the suit into some dynamic action poses.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So a while back Taurus Oxford posted a bit about how he got the Armed Armor De shields for his MG FA Unicorn, and how they looked, and he was kind enough to link the seller to me. Taurus wanted to go for a more minimalist approach, but I decided to go full-on Katoki, and bought a full set of waterslide decals to poo poo up my shiny new shields. Here's how one turned out:

A bit too much? (Finishing spray hasn't been applied to the addons yet, so it looks weird compared to the shield under it.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The EX-S being number 2 and FA Unicorn being number 5 makes me so happy, you have no idea. :allears:

Maybe we'll get some more ridiculously huge suits like those in the future. (EX-S 2.0, come on, Bandai, just do it.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, despite the obvious flaws inherent in the Ex-S and the FAZZ, I still really really want both. I got an S Gundam about four years ago or so now and it's still probably one of my favorite builds ever, if just because the finished product is so huge and beautiful. I love those bulky-rear end post-Zeta suits, and I wish they'd make more of them instead of focusing on the smaller stuff all the time.

As an aside, though, gently caress dry-rub application decals and the guy who invented them. I started decal work on my MG Epyon today, and holy poo poo, all the dry-apply decals on curved surfaces work that it expects me to do is infuriating. The Sinanju Stein that I've had sitting unbuilt for the longest time came with some nice waterslide decals, why can't everything else, Bandai? :smith:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not too big a fan of Turn A (despite having the MG Turn A for some reason) or Build Fighters, so this run kindly passed me by.

I do hope I can get a hold of that Fenix, though, since I'm not too offended by the color, and if nothing else, I can swap the blue psychoframe with the MG Banshee I'm certain to get at some point in the future to complete my MG Unicorn collection. I think the blue-framed Banshee just looks better than the gold frame, and it'd make the Fenix look a little more consistent with a gold frame too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Like I said, I'll probably still get it because I am a massive idiot. Though, is there a third-party group producing those shiny gold Banshee horns yet? The awful yellow plastic version with the normal one is just tragic, and it doesn't look too much better on that version. Why'd they even do that, anyways? They made everything else shiny gold.

Also, regarding top coat stuff, I use Armory Matte. It's pretty good, but if you hold whatever you're spraying too far away while spraying it, it gets a weird 'dusty' effect, which looks good on ground-type grunt units, but lovely on Gundams. It's cheap, though, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

This. Unicorn was not designed for a titanium finish plating, and it sure as hell isn't designed for gold chrome plating.

Just catching up to the Gunpla-gasm news now...SLOW THE gently caress DOWN BANDAI! :psyduck:

I think it could work, assuming they do it the same way they did the shiny gold bits on the Full Burst Strike Freedom, where they adjusted the sprues so that the parts you cut would be behind the armor, so that the nubs couldn't be seen when it was fully assembled.

Taurus, where do you get your third party news from, anyways? I'm hunting for aftermarket parts like the gold banshee horn, but I can't find anything.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bimmi posted:

That would require a major (and risky) retooling of the existing molds or an all-new set. Not gonna happen.

It's not like it'd be the first time they've done it. There's the special Seed Destiny kits I mentioned before, and pretty much any time they do one of these special finish kits:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bimmi posted:

They have never, to my knowledge, reworked existing molds to have undergated sprues. Strike Freedom FB got a new mold for the plated parts, but that's one runner vs. a dozen or more. Anything that incorporates undergates into the whole kit was designed that way from the start.

Again, it's not going to happen for what is essentially a one-off.

You mean like the one-off that I literally just posted?

The MG Hyper Mode G Gundam kits did not have undergates in their original forms, but they did in their one-off special kits. It would not be the first time they made a unique mold for special armor based on a previous mold.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

When I went digging through Dalong's archives looking for stuff on that, the only image I could find that detailed the God's Hyper Mode looked like it had undergating. And I couldn't find anything on the Master having undergates. Well that's a load of bullshit right there, it looks like rear end otherwise.

I'd hope they'd go through the effort, because it looks like the worst poo poo otherwise since there's massive black spots everywhere. But I guess that's too much to ask.

Why can't they just release some nice alternate color frames and stuff so that I don't have to buy this to make the Banshee not look awful. drat you Bandai. :negative:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I just think that gold/yellow and black/blue look better than gold/blue and black/yellow. And given my personal inability to paint competently (three tests with an HG 1/144 Flag and zero turned out even passable), I feel more comfortable with first/third party products/accessories.

More and more do I regret not going through with that purchase of the web exclusive Banshee. It had a proper golden horn, a better frame color, as well as a shield/rifle. Maybe someday they'll do a rerelease of it. :unsmith:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Holy poo poo, how did I not hear that Bandai reissued that web-exclusive Banshee. I thought I missed the chance forever when I didn't order it back in early 2012.

I take back everything bad I ever said about you Bandai, even with the horrendous price gouging going on here. :allears: (Thank Christ for holiday bonuses.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Katoki, I love your work, but you're breaking my balls with these decals. First it was the FA Unicorn, now the Sinanju Stein, and my web-exclusive Banshee Ver Ka just came in and that's next. They look so good once they're all decaled up though.

Monaghan posted:

anyway, the dom is a solid kit, but I'd get bored making three of the same kit.

I got the 1/144 triple Dom set and I can confirm that it gets really old, even with a kit as easy as an HG Dom. That being said, I really like the Dom and I still kinda want to get that off-brand PG Rick-Dom someday.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wonder how the hell you're supposed to get that little dry transfer decal in the Turn A Gundam's forehead.

Out of the dozen or so people who I know got that kit, not one has managed to get that little bastard in. At least the panel line is deep enough to get a small gundam marker or other colored model pen in there.

Also, color me surprised, Bandai was kind enough to include gold-plated conversion parts for that Banshee Ver. Ka to turn it into the OVA Version, with the collar and chest piece. That's great, because the Ver. Ka's plain old "Black Unicorn" needs a little pizazz like that to make it pop.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've got a question regarding panel lining stuff: What's the best inking pen to use for dark surfaces? For normal kits, I just use Pigma Microns for my general-purpose panel lining, but none of their colors really stand out on dark plastic, especially not on this Banshee. Is there a better product to use, preferably in silver or gold?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

I've got a question regarding panel lining stuff: What's the best inking pen to use for dark surfaces? For normal kits, I just use Pigma Microns for my general-purpose panel lining, but none of their colors really stand out on dark plastic, especially not on this Banshee. Is there a better product to use, preferably in silver or gold?

Just posing this question again because I didn't get an answer before. The gold Gundam Markers that I've looked at are way too thick to use for panel lining

Might one of these do the trick, maybe? I know there's an even finer-point gold sharpie somewhere on the market, but I don't know if there's a gold color. http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Poster-Paint-Markers-gold-extra/dp/B0026HJH72

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, I need to be really careful using decal setting solution on these gold-leaf decals. I can't move them as much before it starts tearing like I can with the normal decals.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 14, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Huh, that Phenex is cheaper than I thought, cool. Though, what the hell, I thought the frame was gonna be a mint blue, not the same green that the others have been. That kinda puts a damper on the whole thing. :smith:

It still looks really cool against the gold, though. It's just not as delicious as that blue from the earlier shots.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Since I already put in a preorder for my big shiny turd of a robot MG Unicorn Phoenix, is there a good method/paint selection for making the nubs less glaringly obvious? I know there was some mention of putting a bit of candy coat on the spot, but what about a dab of shiny gold paint beneath it, and is just brushing it on the spot good enough?

So long as I can get it to look as consistent and eye-burning as possible, it's good for me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Let me know how the Ex-S works out for you, I've had my eyes on getting one myself. I got an S a while back, and while I love the kit and the suit to death, its total incompatibility with any display stand makes it a real pain in the rear end to display, short of using the kibble to prop it up. That display stand sounds like a real godsend. Assuming the additions don't somehow turn it into a real pain in the rear end, it's a beautiful build and you'll probably love it.

Also, after 20-some hours of putting on decals, my Banshee ver. Ka ver. OVA is finally complete and on my shelf. The thing is beautiful, especially when blacklit, but holy poo poo is it a pain. The gold leaf decals it comes with look great, but my normal decal setting solution and protective brush-on clearcoat I use to protect decals until the final matte coat ended up disintegrating them. I guess whatever Bandai used for those was way more sensitive than their usual waterslides. At least they packed spares.

I may buy one of the ver. OVA kits, converting it to a ver. Ka and just keep it in unicorn mode with the extra gold plated parts Bandai sends out.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

G-Savior is never getting a MG and we all know it.

That's a shame, because I really like the design. Especially the ridiculous backpack and those hip thrusters.

Of course, I'd rather have some of the 2.0s you listed. FAZZ, GP-02, and Ex-S 2.0s. :swoon:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Incidentally, due to the nature of RG, the announce of RG Exia pretty much soft confirms RG Dynames, maybe RG Kyrios, and maybe RG Nadleeh/Virtue. And if that scale doesn't suit your taste, well most of the NG 1/100 00 kits were actually pretty drat good.

For the most part, yeah, but holy poo poo does the NG Dynames have loose joints. As in, even after doing the quick fix, it'll still lose poses and fall over if it isn't up propped up on something. Same with my MG Hobo Exia's ankles.

But, yeah, where's my MG Dynames and Virtue, Bandai? :argh:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd be okay with them making it into two kits, especially if it'd keep costs down. I'd still prefer an MG of it, because I need more bulky 1/100 shitboxes on my shelf, but an RG wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Also, since when is the Phoenix a regular release? I just saw it come up on HLJ and I could've swore it was gonna be a web exclusive kit. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm curious, has anyone ever heard of or used any decals like these before?

I'm thinking of replacing the lovely foil stickers that are all over the place on my Sinanju, but I don't know if I should just go with the regular chrome waterslides or these. They sound cool, but I dunno if it's just a chromed dry-apply decal or something.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Who needs baseball when you have disco?

Actually, I'm kind of curious to see what other folks' full collections look like, instead of the odd single kit. I'll post mine as soon as I can find my bloody camera.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I know I'd love to see some talk on painting, because I'm hilariously incompetent, and really terrified of loving up an expensive kit. I guess that's a thing that comes from building more or less exclusively MG or higher, but it'd be cool to pick folks' brains.

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'd love to recommend equipment, tools, paint, supplies, etc., but I'd need some in thread recommendations to pull those off since I'm not a particularly skilled or seasoned modeler myself. Other than the fact that I know Tamiya rules. Otherwise, we've got some REALLY helpful links in OP already. I'll make sure that those links are easy to find.

Some tool info would be cool, but I'd really like to see a section on other products. I usually use Plastruct plastic weld, Armory Clear Matte topcoat, and Microscale Micro Sol decal setting solution, but all the talk about using the (super expensive) Tamiya stuff kinda makes me feel like I'm using some awful garbage. Having good info on that would be such a godsend for me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I pretty much exclusively build mg's with the occasional Rg. What in particular are you worried about messing up? If you make a mistake in painting, you can always strip the paint (I use acrylic so windex strips it off). The thing is though, once you paint you have to commit to it, especially if you use primer. I highly recommend painting a kit, I've found it actually saved me money on gunpla kits since it takes me longer to finish one, so I'm not burning through kits so quickly. It also makes them look much better.

The main thing I'm worried about messing up is in panel lining, since from what I understand, my usual standby of covering the whole line with a fair amount of ink and then wiping off the excess with a q-tip doesn't work on a painted kit, and screwing up a panel line means having to strip the paint and repaint the whole thing. Given my unstable hands, it just seems like I'd never manage to get it right.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh God, what have I done. :cripes:

Also, it's funny that you talk about beam magnums, because you can see my silly beam magnum drum magazine abortion in that shot. Kinda comes from having so many of the drat things but nothing I feel like putting them on.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Caros posted:

1. Don't build its rifle. The Hi-Nu rifle is by far the ugliest main weapon on any Gundam I have ever built, you will be dissapointed, give it the bazooka instead.

2. Do not, under any circumstances, drop the model once it is assembled. The leg can, and will destroy the hip joint, and the propellent tanks have tiny grey pieces on them that you will never find no matter how hard you look.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. Shaving the nubbins off of those is a terrifying experience because I'm half convinced I'm gonna drop one on my floor and lose it forever, but it went well. I like the rifle though. :colbert: I absolutely love these colors though, but I kinda wish it had those thicker proportions from the other design.

I also ended up buying those photoetched decals for the Sinanju, if for no other reason than it comes with a Unicorn v-fin piece as a bonus. I'll report on how good/poo poo they look once I get them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Welp, I finally finished my MG Hi-Nu. :toot:

Yeah, you guys were right, that was a really fun build. It feels weird being able to complete the decal work in half a sitting though, instead of carving out a whole week of sittings like my last three kits have been. Not that I'm complaining, it looks great and I don't even need to buy another display stand for it.

So this is most of the collection right now (though I'm still curious to see others'):

Next project: Finally getting around to putting decals on that Sinanju.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

slightpirate posted:

Is it just me, or is the RG RX-78-2's beam saber comically long? I think it might be longer than some of the MG beam sabers I've seen.

As far as I know, they in fact are MG beam sabers, not even scaled down. That makes them hilariously long when put on a 1/144 kit.

• Locked thread