Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I'm going to have a huge pile of gunpla to work on once I find employment, I got a MG V Dash almost a year ago but haven't started cause I kind of want to paint it to get rid of the marks where the parts were on the sprue. I can think of like a dozen kits I want off the top of my head and I know there're also loads I want that I can't recall at this moment. One day I will drown in gunpla boxes.

On that note does anyone know where in the UK you can get the right paint for gunpla?

Really I should get a couple of HGs so I can get some practice in first and not worry so much about ruining them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Finished my first gunpla today (oh god the GN Archer is just adorable). There's a couple of places that have marks where I clipped them off the trays (most obvious on the missile pods), I've tried using the files I have for warhammer models but I think they're a bit rough to completely remove the mark so I need to get some sandpaper or something with a finer surface to finish it off, I don't know how sandpaper's roughness is measured so if anyone has any tips on what stuff to use it would be appreciated.

Now I just need to build my HG Ahead Smultron and I'll be confident enough in my gunpla skills to finally start work on the MG V Dash I've had lying around for a year.

edit: jesus, getting stickers that fold around corners like on the cockpit door are a nightmare to keep from peeling off.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 23, 2012

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ActionZero posted:

Now I just need to build my HG Ahead Smultron and I'll be confident enough in my gunpla skills to finally start work on the MG V Dash I've had lying around for a year.

Oh god now I have to build four victory core fighters.

And get some action bases.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Son of a bitch! I just snapped one of the pieces of the torso of my MG V Dash, it's fixable (I think) but getting it absolutely right is going to be a total nightmare and it's one of the parts I have to fiddle if I want to separate it into the fighters so I need it to be solid. Anyone know a way to get replacement parts in the UK without it being stupidly expensive?
So pissed off that I did this.

e: gently caress! Had a closer inspection and that's not the only damage to the part, I also snapped off a tiny peg which is in another piece, that is going to be a complete bitch to fix.

e2: VVVVV This has made me decide to definitely put off getting any further combining kits for a while (only ones I can think of that I could see myself getting right now are the Force and Sword Impulses and I'm currently eyeing up the MG Destiny and HG Arios anyway). All bets are off if they bring out a MG V2 Assault Buster though, god drat that's going to be a finicky kit but I must have one.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 3, 2012

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Fauxtool posted:

Its more the fault of the V gundam than anything's transforming abilities. I almost feel like the V gundam was their first attempt at making a RG. They gave up and said "good enough let try again in a few years."

Wouldn't shock me, it's probably more to do with the smaller size (that's bandai's officially stated reason for the MG V2 taking so long isn't it?), there're a few niggles I'm having with the V gundam so far in my construction. The joints where the upper arms can rotate are terrible so I can barely adjust the arms without them falling off and the hip joints are a complete nightmare at times. I think I'm just going to finish getting all the parts together, make it as a V Dash Hexa, mount as much weaponary as it can carry at once, pose it on an action base then never move it again. Still a nice kit and the good outweighs the bad for me (I have a massive robo crush on the overhang cannons and the waist mounted beam cannons).

Bit worried about how well the arms will be able to support the beam smart gun and chaingun what with the aforementioned joints, need to figure some way short of super glue to make rotational joints like those a bit firmer.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I thought they'd only recently got real grades to not fall apart at the drop of a hat, and now they're making a Zeta? That's going to be hilarious.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Fauxtool posted:

where can i buy titties for my 00?

Rotate the GN drives forwards.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

boom boom boom posted:

I haven't built a model since high school, and I was terrible at it then, but for some reason I just ordered two sets of Balls.

You have made the right choice.

I just wish I could remember to check hlj when it has the HGUC Loto twinpack in stock so I can set them up with one in MS mode busting a sicknasty grind with the other in tank mode as the skateboard. This is all I want out of gunpla.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Mecha Gojira posted:

I think I just heard half the thread's wallets explode (Robot Damashii).

gently caress that looks awesome.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I really want to get a Destiny kit sometime soon, but it's likely I'll ignore that RG and get the MG Extreme Blast because BEAM EFFECT PARTS EVERYWHERE. (I am a massive whore for those Wings of Light)

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

arhra posted:

worked out about as well as you'd expect for their first attempt at a transforming RG.
Good grief... I was always dubious about doing a transforming RG (especially the Zeta which isn't exactly a practical transformation) so early into the product line but I had no idea it was going to be such a mess.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 2, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Oblique Angle posted:

Still, that doesn't really matter since my hand glows with an awesome power! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory!

abkfljpgdkngldfbs

This is worse than when people give the wrong quote. I've never seen someone say part of one then part of the other.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

I feel no shame whatsoever.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I've been wanting an MG Double Bullet for ages. So pleased they're finally making one. It better have massive beam effect parts for the shoulders.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ACanofPepsi posted:

25 new posts about new kits being released but they all look so similar to the ones already stocked in my local store.

I used to be just like this before I watched Gundam and while I was just starting out. Distinguishing between various mobile suits is just something that comes naturally over time, you start out hardly able to tell what the difference between a Zaku and a GINN is but eventually you can recognise a lot of MSes just by seeing the head or silhouette.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

WickedIcon posted:

I was just popping them out of the frame thing with my thumb

Oh god reading that made me shrink into a cringing mess.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I have a confession to make. For my first plastic models like 13 years ago when I tried out Warhammer I didn't have any sprue cutters and didn't know any better so I twisted the parts off the sprue.

I'm so sorry.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ACanofPepsi posted:

It killed a SEED Gundam because apparently they are the worst.
That's clearly an AGE Gundam. However AGE is the worst so np np.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BlitzBlast posted:

so since MG V2 and MG DX are never happening
Oh come on, the MG V2 is totally gonna happen right guys?

... Right?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Kurui Reiten posted:

Would I need a pin vise to insert a metal rod? How do those work, exactly? I've heard of them before, in fixing all variety of things or just shoring them up, but I've never used one.

Given how there's already a hole going into each part you shouldn't need a pin vice cause you can just get a metal rod of roughly the right diameter and glue that in. If the break just exposed solid plastic then you would need one to drill a hole.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BlitzBlast posted:

V2 Assault Buster

Stop making me sad.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Tiffa! I believe in God!

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Revitalized posted:

Anyone know if there's any other mecha model kits that resemble the RGM-96X Jesta? Kinda military-like, yet a bit more featured than a GM, but doesn't stand out so much like a Gundam. Ideally also 1/144 sized so they can all look the same on my desk, take a relatively short time to build and remain fairly cheap price-wise.

I was originally looking at the HGUC 1/144 Jesta Ecoas type but it's just a little too bare for me.
Might be a little too bare for you but I'm pretty sure the HG Loto twinpack would look rad as hell with that.

(They would look rad with anything, I need to remember to order one from HLJ when they get a restock.)

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Part of me really wants the MB Destiny cause of that picture but that other half wants the MG Extreme Blast for the effect parts.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Extreme Blast is awful. Nubs everywhere, and for pretty much the same price you can get the regular MG and parts order the effect runners.

Really? I was under the impression that the Extreme Blast was basically the same as the normal MG just with the effect parts added in and some runners made of different coloured plastic.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Defeat is finally getting your Gundam X MG in and then one of your friends losing a part down a vent while you went to the bathroom. Guess I'm waiting for Gentei Parts to give me an estimate.

I assume you've cut off all contact with this "friend" right?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

TARDISman posted:

Man, I really don't like the way the DM Exia looks, the only thing that kinda works for me are the swords. Everything else really does look a little too Vagan.

I can't stand the DM Exia at all. If you're going to have something that's red and black you need to separate it better way better than done here (honestly red and black works better with one of them being dominant and the other highlighting specific parts rather than an even split like this). The absolute worst part is the shoulders' solid chunks of red, turning the middle parts of the shoulders black, and other changes like that, would improve the design significantly.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Phy posted:

Twist everything off like you are six and the set came as part of your monthly Wings and Wheels datacard pack.

You are a monster.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So after watching episode six of Build Fighters with my younger sister (she was so into the Zaku Amazing fight, I feel so proud right now) I'm thinking of getting her a gunpla for her birthday. I'm not sure if I want to throw her into the deep end with a MG and I know what her current favourite gundams are, does anyone know if the HG Freedom or Justice is any good?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Okay wow if they look that lovely then the HGs are off the table. I guess I'm spoiled by the HGs I have being relatively recent (GN Archer and Ahead Smultron) and pretty decent.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
After watching episode 25 of Build Fighters a few times I've been seized by inspiration but there's one hole in my idea. Does anyone know a way to get the mantle from a Crossbone Full Cloth that would fit an HG scale kit? If I can get hold of one then my future Crossbone Maoh Full Cloth will be awesome.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
He's right, by mantle I was referring to the huge solid shield that goes around its shoulders. That's totally a mantle.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BlitzBlast posted:

If she wants a Freedom, I would actually recommend the MG. It's a fairly simple kit all things considered. If you want the best version out there, that would be the RG, and needless to say that's a little tough. If you can find the time to build it with your sister it'd be great though.

I gave in and ordered her an RG Freedom which I'll help her build, then because I make bad decisions when it comes to money I ordered myself an MG Duel because how could I not.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

TaurusOxford posted:

Now get SUPER hype! HG Exia Amazing and HG Fenice Rinascita announced! http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2014/04/hgbf-1144-gundam-exia-amazing-hgbf-1144.html

How hard do I have to throw my wallet at my PC to get these released today?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
This is probably going to sound really obvious to you guys but I'm assembling my first ever action base and holy crap the engineering on these things is amazing. I put together four pieces and suddenly had a functional ratcheting extendable beam.

Also got my MG Duel and sister's RG Freedom. Really tempted to steal the Freedom for myself.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Holy crap action bases make posing kits so much easier.

(lovely phone camera ahoy)
drat the GN Archer's legs don't look natural like that, brb adjusting them.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 3, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I've now put together the torso, thrusters and head of my MG Duel. My only other MG is the V-Dash (which I really should get around to finishing) so I'm loving how solid a build this is, the Victory Gundam is great but its small size and fiddly combination stuff makes for a headachey model at times, whereas the Duel is basically as straightforward a gundam as you can get. I can already tell from the pegs where the shoulders attach that this is going to have some nice articulation but it's a shame I'm going to constantly have the Assault Shroud attached which will inevitably screw that up a bit.

I guess the only option is to get another kit from the GAT series. :shrug: Seriously considering the Buster but before I pull the trigger on that, is there an MG Strike that uses the same frame? I've heard conflicting reports.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 5, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

TaurusOxford posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering how big Neo Zeong's box would be:

:stonk:

I'm pretty sure you could kill someone with that.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
If you can finish the main body of a gunpla and not immediately do this with it then you're not bloody human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Me and my sister are working on her RG Freedom right now (well, she's working on it, I'm just sort of watching in slight awe at how fast she's getting it).

I've never done a RG kit myself and I just can't comprehend the inner frame parts. Are they built by wizards or something?

• Locked thread