Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

This thing? It came from a very... interesting thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I decided to get into Gunpla while I was overseas, and bought two kits to start off: an old HG RX-78 to cut my teeth on and the RG Zeta Gundam because I always liked that machine. The former went very smoothly, and though I ended up breaking the hyper launcher I finished in about two hours. The latter took three days of effort to assemble, and when I was finally done and tried to transform it (a ridiculously arcane process, incidentally), the left leg fell off. I put it back on immediately, but now it's loose. :shepicide:

I think I'm going to stick with High Grades. Much less frustrating, and even if they can't do many poses at least the assembly is fun. Cheaper too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly, the assembly was pretty smooth. Once I figured out that the designers intended for you to totally remove any trace of the sprues (ask me about breaking the forehead jewel because I didn't notice that there was still a bit of a sprue preventing one of the head plates from sliding in :suicide:), everything was just dandy except for the god damned backpack. It's when I tried to transform it that the whole thing just fell apart.

Literally; there's pretty much no good place to grip the thing, so every time I tried to push something in on the back, one of the skirt parts fell off.

EDIT: I also bought three more HGs. Anyone have any comments on the HG Nu Gundam (not sure which version of it), Exia Repair II, and Unicorn Destroy Mode?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 30, 2012

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I dunno, I kind of want to keep all the kits I buy at the same size (1/144). Is there a MG of a Psycho Gundam or some other already gigantic thing? That might fit well with everything else being smaller.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Just keep the different scales separate, man.

Well it's more that I don't think I really have the space on my desk for a bunch of 1/100 models.

TaurusOxford posted:

Exia Repair II and Unicorn Destroy Mode are both great kits. Nu Gundam is an older kit and uses annoying yellow stickers for the fin funnels, but it's still good.

That's good to hear, thanks.

I don't suppose they ever made an Exia Repair II Seven Swords kit? I saw a bunch of variants for the 00 nearby where I picked up the thing, but it looked like there wasn't any for the Exia II.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Zedd posted:

That said the Real grade is impressive technically from what I have seen, but holy balls that thing seems fragile. :stare:

Man you have no idea. :negative:

Finished building the HG Exia Repair II recently, and ughhh who designed the yellow chest fins or whatever they are. They're connected to the arms in such a way that if you move the arms at all they'll flop all over the place. Other then that the kit was fine and easy-to-assemble, though I was surprised how many replacement parts the thing had.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I wouldn't be that worried about having to get spare parts (just be really careful when you're assembling the head, particularly the forehead jewel) since the assembly itself is smooth as long as you totally cut off all the sprues. The problem is that once you're done, you really can't do much. It's got a lot of flexibility, but there's no good place to grip it since there's so many fiddly bits. I've had to leave it in a generic standing pose since anything else carries the risk of me messing up the whole thing, and often attempts to repair something only pop off more bits. As for transforming it? Oh god no. It was the first thing I tried to do when I finished, and it was just a complete nightmare and almost made the whole thing fall apart. Hell, the left leg straight up popped off and now it's permanently loose.

If you do intend to transform it, I would actually recommend getting a separate kit just for the Waverider form. It would probably be less frustrating than transforming it back and forth.

EDIT: A few minutes after posting this, I recalled that I did straight up need superglue to get the beam rifle to stay together. So if you get it, and the stupid thing keeps falling apart, that's normal.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 7, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All I know is that dunking your parts in warm water is practically mandatory. There's a thin, colorless coat over all the pieces that helps you break them off, and it does not mix well with paint at all. Supposedly Bandai does a pretty good job about washing it off, but to be safe you should at least wash it overnight or something.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm now finished with the last of the three HG kits I got, and surprisingly enough the oldest one (the HG Nu Gundam) was by far the sturdiest. The Exia Repair II's shoulders fall out of place as soon as you move the arms (which makes playing with the switch blade really hard), and the Unicorn Destroy Mode's elbow joints are loose and tend too split apart if I flex the arms too much. Also it could just be me, but the whole thing seems to tilt forward after a while. Meanwhile, the HG Nu (and the HG RX-78-2) are super stable and have had no issues whatsoever. I guess Bandai put more effort into them since they're such important suits?

Either way, I've ordered a HG Gundam X next (since there was no HG Turn A/X). Anyone have any words on it? ...And is there a HG Gundam DX? I could have sworn I saw a box for it while I was overseas, but dalong doesn't list it.

Also, these things are surprisingly fun to pose! Well except for the RG Zeta, which continues to be a spoil-sport by being so intricate that I don't want to touch it for fear of messing something up.
...I'm probably still going to pick up the RG Destiny when it comes out. :negative:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bimmi posted:

No HG Gundam DX unless you count the old 1/100, which is lacking even by 1996 standards.

:negative:

quote:

And if you care to go back a page to that random closet photo I posted last week, pretty much ALL that poo poo has to go, so if anyone sees something they'd like please let me know.

What would you price these at (individually)? One of my friends thought the V/V2 Gundam looked awesome, so I've been looking around for that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Sorry everyone else, Im going to take everything good :3:

That works out then, because it turns out my friend doesn't like the V Gundams enough to build a model kit of them. Ah well.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well that works out very nicely for me, because I already have the HG Destroy Mode. Now if only they would make a HG Full Armor ZZ.

Finished building the HG Gundam X, and by far its biggest flaw is the torso. Unless it was known for getting chopped in half, I don't see why the ball joint connection between the upper and lower bodies has to be so loose. Other then that it's great; my only regret is that there's no good place in my house to put it so that the moon actually shines on it. Just seeing the silhouette at night is pretty cool looking though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 5, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of that, Bimmi, could you post what you have left? I've got $100 to burn and clearly model kits are the best option.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just assembled the second HG ZZ Gundam with the help of two friends (because what better kit to build with company? :v:), and I'm kind of disappointed. I was hoping we could each build one of the separate components, then fuse them together, but the instructions just told us how to assemble the mobile suit form. And the core fighter couldn't transform too. :(

As for the kit itself, uh... well it was a pretty smooth build (though the arms are kind of loose) but I don't see why you would include two beam sabers if you don't give the ZZ a hand to actually hold one. :psyduck:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

THE (early) UNIVERSAL CENTURY WANTS TO SHOOT YOU

Also, just for fun post the most ridiculously armed to the teeth model kit you have.

EDIT: V Well yeah, but pictures are always nice to take/look at. Not everyone has those kits!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 10, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

By the way, BlitzBlast, if you're looking for more ridiculously armed robots, I know I personally enjoy this particular fellow.

I've kind of got my eye on the V gundams. I imagine I'd need to buy that weapons pack I've seen floating around first, but it looks hilarious.

EDIT: I guess the Strike Freedom or the Full Armor Unicorn are also options, but I think both of them look super ugly so :geno:.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 11, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Got a HG 00 Gundam as a gift, and it's possibly the most :effort: kit I've seen so far; the v-fin isn't even colored, I had to put on a sticker. There were also no redundant parts whatsoever (aside from one PC part), a pretty significant change from the Exia Repair II's ridiculous amount of spare parts.

I'm really not sure what to think about 00 HGs. There's such a huge quality difference between the two I've gotten.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Goon posted:

To hell with that, check this out:

http://rdplus.tumblr.com/post/45967945215/gundamdoublex

RD Double X! Finally, after all this time, X is getting some love!
Oh god ye-

quote:

Price: 5040 Yen
My wallet can't take something like that. :negative:

EDIT: What's the scale on RD figures, incidentally? As I understand they're pre-assembled, but if they're close enough to 1/144 I'd be willing to look past that just to have some cool models to pose.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 23, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I accidentally dropped my RG Zeta and it basically exploded. While putting it back together, I noticed the left arm straight up snapped off. :negative:

So how does one go about repairing these things without messing up the articulation? Super glue?

EDIT: The moral of the story is to not try and balance other models on a transformed ZZ.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 30, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Although for something small and complex like a RG, I say your arm is gonna be hosed regardless.

You called it. I've given up entirely (just transformed what was left of it and sat it aside), and am probably going to have to get a new Zeta. I know the MG was apparently poo poo, and I'm really soured on the RG (though getting a new one might be worth it just to dual-wield beam rifles), so I guess that leaves me with the HG. Does anyone have any comments on that?

Faltion posted:

Over the course of the last day I put together a RG Zeta that I got for Christmas. I am really glad I did not decide to paint this kit, as I imagine it would be a nightmare. There's nothing I am really very fond of regarding it. It is the first RG kit I've put together and while all the detail is really nice, the gimmicks about it seem to really detract from it.

I have exactly the same opinion as you. And having transformed the thing twice, let me assure you that you made the right decision. The legs are only barely attached to the torso (and in a really dumb way that makes putting them back on when they inevitably fall off incredibly frustrating), moving the stabilizers in the way the instructions say is drat near impossible, and the arms will not cooperate. I think it was actually a good thing that both of them ended up snapping off on mine; it made the transformation much more smooth.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 1, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Any reason why you didn't just get the Full Armor?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just use an X-acto knife and go to town. I probably don't get the best quality, but I like keeping things simple.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

Who wants just an action figure?

The people who are fans of robots that don't have model kits. See: Turn A fans.

EDIT: On that note, how was the MG Turn A? If I ever get around to building a MG, I'd definitely like to start with the good old White Mustache.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Congrats. With that giant rear end katana, that looks like it'll be fun to mess around with.

In other, more obvious news, holy christ these things drain your wallet. I made a quick wishlist of MGs I'd like to pick up after Turn A, and the total cost is over $600. :negative:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Most of it's just UC protagonist suits (RX-79 2.0, Zeta 2.0, FA ZZ [not the mass produced one], Nu v.Ka, FA Unicorn, V-Dash v.Ka) because I am a boring person. My current plan is to buy them in chronological order, but I think it'll be a while before I can build up my spare change to the point I can safely start.

If there's a MG that's perfect for beginners though, I might start with that. Lord knows I'll need all the practice I can get.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

I assume you mean RX-78 2.0. That would probably be the best suit to start off with.

Whoops, yeah. And if that's the case, I probably should get that before Turn A then. Hah, RX-78 was my first HG, and now it's going to be my first MG.

quote:

Just to warn you, MG ZZ Gundam is a straight up brick due to its bulk. FA ZZ is going to be impossible to pose more than this:

Looking at the pictures on dalong, I can take off the FA parts to just have the Enhanced ZZ. I'm hoping that'll be more flexible. And worst comes to worst, I'm already used to having fragile pieces of junk that can't be posed well from the RG Zeta. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

EDIT: Turns out HobbyWave is even better, so forget I ever posted anything.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 9, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Faltion posted:

If The Origin is produced and they start putting out The Origin versions of all the original 0079 kits am I alone in not really being interesting in slightly different-looking versions of what we've already got?

What, don't you want another RX-78-2?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

It's me. I'm the guy who constantly buys RX-78-2 toys and kits.

Do you feel like taking a picture of every RX-78-2 you have? Let's see how dedicated you are. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So when it comes to panel lining, what does orange look good on? I accidentally ordered an orange real touch marker along with a black and brown one, and $3 isn't enough for me to bother figuring out how to edit the order.

On that note, if all you plan to do is lining, do you still need to wash the runners?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

When did the mummy become a gundam?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So the MG Zeta 2.0 just got delivered, and :wtc: its box is loving gigantic. I think it's almost twice the size of the RX-78-2's box, this is ridiculous.

...And now I'm really hopeful that the FA-ZZ's box is going to be even bigger. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well that's disappointing.

Sorry about the bad picture, but the lighting's bad at this time of the night.

In other news, I've (mostly) finished my first master grade! I still need to build the equipment, but considering the sheer range of poses this thing could do I might not ever put them on. Hell, I'm probably going to just leave this guy in the doofiest poses imaginable, since I've got other MGs to dramatically pose.

EDIT: Also, what the hell is up with this thing's decals? I can understand having giant DANGER or CAUTION tags on the beam saber, and maybe the foot since people would be walking around there, but what possible danger could the hands/torso/legs be? Are they unstable explosives?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 20, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'd just like to see Blast Impulse.

Also, I've played around with the Zeta Gundam 2.0 for a few days now and honestly I think it's pretty sturdy. Maybe the RG Zeta is setting the bar really low, but I can actually move this thing's legs without fear of it self-destructing. The only real problem I have with it is that I can not figure out how the hell it's supposed to hold the Hyper Mega Launcher.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 26, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Now that I'm getting around to building the protagonist UC suits, I should probably consider getting their final enemies. So on that note, how good are the MGs of the Zeong, the O, the Qubeley, the Sazabi, and the Sinanju? I hear that the O and the Sazabi were poo poo, but are we talking terribly engineered or just really fragile?

(I think I just heard my wallet cry.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oblique Angle posted:

Similarly, is the Unicorn ver. Ka better or is the one that came several years later better?

I hear the OVA version fixed some of the issues with the joints, so probably that one. But if you really want a Unicorn, unless you're opposed to the color green you should probably snag the FA. It's the best engineered, though that doesn't mean it can stand up straight with all of the weapons attached.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

muike posted:

Is the basic mobile suit part improved, or is it just all the poo poo tacked on to it that makes it better? The only real thing I'd want from the FA version is the katoki'd space launch you can make from the unicorn's fuel tanks

Yeah, the joints are better and the legs were thickened a bit. This review does a brief comparison between FA and ver Ka. I'm not sure how the ver OVA and FA compare though, but FA was made later so it's probably better engineered. I doubt you could slap on all of those weapons on the OVA version and still have it stay standing.

EDIT: V Your wallet is probably thanking you then.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 5, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Currently working through the MG FAZZ, and drat this thing is a relic. No inner frame (not even on the legs, where a lot of other early MGs had one), barely any decals, the instructions are just 60 sequential steps, and from the feel of things it's not even made out of ABS plastic.

So on that note, I'm somewhat curious as to when MGs started to resemble their modern forms.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was talking about the Full Armor ZZ. The FAZZ is pretty much just a recolor + slight edit to the original FA isn't it?

Also I just noticed there is a Blitz Gundam. I feel kind of obligated to get it (...someday, and it'll probably be the first kit I try to paint because I'm not a fan of the standard colors), so does anyone have any experience with it? And is there a Blast Gundam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Four excruciatingly tiny screws (and a trip to the hardware store to buy a smaller screwdriver) later, and I'm pretty sure I never want to get an old MG again. I really love the Full Armor ZZ, but god drat building this model makes me want to throw something.

And at the end, all I'll get is a brick that can't do anything but stand there. :negative:

EDIT: I actually have welts on my hand from pressing down on that screwdriver so hard. Should've worn gloves I guess.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 10, 2013

• Locked thread