Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I'm getting back into gunpla and already the costs are mounting. :negative:

I have nippers, sandpaper of various grits(400 to 2000), files, a hobby knife, some panel lining markers and matte top coat. I'm looking at getting paints and brushes, but I'm not sure if I should go with enamels or acrylics, I know the enamels will probably give better results but is a gas mask really necessary for working with them? I have some old kits to practice on before I start doing some of the nice modern kits. Also any recommendations on brushes?

I also have a HGUC Hi-Nu on the way, is that a decent kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

It is a decent kit, but the flaw with it is that 4 of the fin funnels are integrated into the backpack and can't be deployed like they normally should be. http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/h95/h95_i.htm

Yeah, I knew about that but I'm unlikely to take more than two them off anyway so I'm not too miffed about it. I'm trying to stick to 1/144 stuff because MGs add up drat quick cost wise and I figure that will mean some sacrifices.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

geeksauce posted:

After twelve or more years of not building any models, I just ordered the MG OVA Sinanju and the RG Justice. I have no experience with either of these grades (Only HG from Wing and EW), but I've heard the Sinanju is a fun build. How good do you guys think the Justice will be as a refresher?

RGs are basically mini-MGs and are incredibly complex and fiddly, you might want to do the MG first, it'll probably be easier with the larger part size.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

geeksauce posted:

That was my thought process exactly. Thanks for the advice. Though, I couldn't help grabbing the Sinanju. It was just too beautiful to resist. What are some fun MGs for beginners that I can pick up later down the road? RX-78-2 Ver. 3.0?

The Ver. 3.0 is really complex, sort of a engineering showcase for the designers at Bandai. The Gundam X is pretty simple and really nice looking and I've also heard good things about the new Wing Gundam MGs like the heavyarms.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So some more questions on paints: How are the Testors Model Master enamel paints? They seem to be available locally and they have a ton of colors, I expect I'll need to mix paints to get the right colors but more colors makes that easier. I've also seen Vallejo paint sets on amazon but they look super pricey and I'm not sure if all those colors would be overkill for painting gunpla or not. Is it possible to brush on Future and have it look ok? Once it is set can you use enamels over it or will that destroy it?

I wanted to avoid an airbrush setup because of the cost and noise but I'm wondering if going down the hand brush route might end up being a bad choice because of enamel paints and having to brush on topcoat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

What cement do you guys recommend using to use on seams to be able to sand them down?

Tamiya extra thin or Testors cement with the brush are both good, they melt the plastics together so you just need to shave off a bead of plastic along the seam and sand it flat once the glue has set. Just make sure the parts are already fit together well and are fairly flush, you can make slight adjustments to the pins in the part if they are not but this is rarely an issue. If you have big gaps you're looking at putty or something but you probably won't run into that on modern Bandai kits.

EFBx2 :argh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Thanks for the responses. Also on this HG there seems to be some things unpainted such as a the beam saber and gears on the foot. What would be the easiest way to paint these short of using an airbrush?

Try a ratio of one part thinner to four parts paint. Also don't wet the brush too much, I like to just start with enough paint to cover the bottom of my mixing bottle or cup and I only dip the end of the brush in. If the brush is sopping wet you will find it hard to control the paint, especially when painting small areas like the ones you're talking about. You might also want to mask around the areas you are going to paint, you can use some blue painters masking tape and a hobby knife to get the shape right.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

madpanda posted:

I've started using gundam markers in lieu of fighting with tiny mono color stickers, sometimes not so tiny when I can tell that they are just going to come off, fist wrappers etc. I notice, and this is probably due to my technique, that there is a decent amount of pooling on bigger pieces. How can I avoid that ? They come out decent enough if uneven.

Popehoist is right, get a small brush and some paints. But until then try painting the part from below, that will minimize the amount of paint that comes out. Also use multiple light coats, etc.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Any tips for using plastic cement? Should I be just holding pieces together and go down the seam line or open them alittle and cement in the seam line. Planning on practicing on some cut up runners first before trying actual parts. I also shaved pegs and bored some of the holes inside parts for easy disassembly, do I need to cement those as well?

You want to put the cement on any surfaces that will come in contact with each other and then hold the surfaces against each other for a minute or so. After that leave the part for a while to let the weld cure, then you clean up the surface with a hobby knife/sandpaper/files.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So I decided to buy a pair of the $30 Tamiya nippers and I'm really wowed by them. I was using a $10 pair of Xuron flush cutters before and I always had to do a fair bit of clean up on nubs, usually filing them down then going over the area with sandpaper. The Tamiya ones cut so cleanly that in some cases I haven't even been able to feel a nub or imperfection left over afterwards. On most nubs all I need to do is a few passes with some 400 grit sandpaper and a couple passes with some 1000 grit stuff to make sure everything is nice and smooth. They also cut so cleanly through sprues that parts almost never go flying off into the carpet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

Could you provide the nipper's model number? Always in the market for a really nice pair of nippers to make nub management easier.

They are the Tamiya 74035 Sharp Pointed Side Cutters.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

I opened up my first MG a little bit ago.

What have I gotten myself into please send help

One of Us. One of Us! ONE OF US!

On a side note: I'm looking at 18 runners of MG Qubeley, it's looking like a pretty fun kit and I've always liked the unorthodox design of it but I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to get a nice gloss coat on it via brushes. It seems to scream for gloss or at least semi-gloss with all the large curved surfaces.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I was planning on using matte enamel paints and then going over with future->acrylic wash->future x2 for the glossy look, would that work ok? I guess I could just do it all matte but it seems like a MS that would look good in gloss.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Though lord knows I'm never doing that.

You keep telling yourself that. :laugh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Also my fingers are really goddamn sore from pushing robots together and I just got the slip saying my HGUC Zaku and Z'gok are at the main office waiting for me and I'm trying really hard not to order the Unicorn Full Armor MG right now.

Kill me.

Welcome to Gunpla. :laugh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Since painting my MG Qubeley by hand is apparently impossible I decided that I'm gonna get an airbrush setup and paints for xmas this year. I'm trying to decide on an airbrush and I have settled on this so far. I figure that plus a hood and some acrylic paints would make a good setup? Any opinions from airbrush users out there?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Suzaku posted:

That is the thing I started with when I started airbrushing, and it is a really great way to go. I used it for a few years before upgrading. A hood isn't strictly necessary with acrylics, but it's a really good idea so you should do it. And if you ever spray something other than acrylics, you will definitely want to have it. Plus a mask, if you're working with lacquers.

Part of my reasoning for getting an airbrush is that I can get a smooth finish with acrylics and that acrylics don't have all the nasty fumes that lacquers do. The hood is mostly so that vaporized paint does not float around and get on everything. I'll probably just get some paper masks to filter out the major stuff.

I can just clean the acrylics out of the airbrush with water, right? I was going to use an acrylic thinner for thinning the paints themselves since I've heard that it gives a slightly smoother finish.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

For most acrylics you can thin them just fine with water. Distill it if you want to be fancy.

If you're going to be airbrushing, though, you're probably going to be using Tamiya's alcohol based acrylics. As such, yeah, pick up some 90% + iso alcohol.

Don't the Tamiya acrylics smell horrific? Like "get a gasmask or prepare to hurl." level stench? :ohdear:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

The ones I've used didn't smell all that bad, just a sort of vague sick-sweet smell.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Yeah, it's the lacquers that have awful odors if I remember correctly. I always found the sweet smell of the acrylics mildly pleasant, actually. But I'm a weirdo.

You should be using a mask with lacquers anyway, though. It won't hurt with acrylics, but they're nowhere near as toxic.

Oh good. Thanks for the advice guys. :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

If you're spraying anything at all, do it in a well-ventilated area.

I don't think I actually need to tell you that, but a dude on /toy/ got on my case about not warning him to not spray paint in his basement, so.

What do you do during winter? Just build stuff instead of painting?

I'm planning to paint in my basement, but it has a door to the outside and one of those little basement windows on the other side so the ventilation ought to be decent if I open those up. Plus I was going to wear a mask anyway.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ethiser posted:

Gundam Guy has pictures of the kits for the main suits for season two of Build Fighters and I want all of them. So far in my modeling career I've built the R35 Gouf and recently ordered the Gyan and the backpack that makes it like the one from Build Fighters. The designs of the show are just so good. I can't resist.

How much work is a real grade compared to a standard HG? I really want either the Destiny or Mk.2 but I'm not sure if I'm ready to build them yet.

They are not really harder per se, they just have a lot of very small parts. The small parts can make stuff like nub removal more difficult and the tight fit of the parts can make painting a pain.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, me too. Some of them even have nubs visibly coming off about a milimeter because I just got them with nippers rather than sanding or using an xacto. My Char's Zaku as a bunch of these on his tubes. :emo:

gently caress those little tube sections. I swear I sand off more of my finger tips than plastic cleaning those up. :negative:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

If you want to really get those sanded areas looking nearly the same as the unsanded ones you can try wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Also look at the shape of your nubs and try to always cut from and angle that will minimize the amount of plastic you are cutting through, if you have a rectangular nub like this: [] You want to cut inwards from the sides, not from the top and bottom, this minimizes compression of the plastic in the middle and therefore minimizes stress marks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

Oh man, I wasn't particularly pleased with the Tamiya silver leaf I used on my test paint of my current project, so I went around looking for other options and I came across this:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome.htm

Assuming I prime properly, is this okay to use on a kit? I think it might just be perfect for one of my nebulous unicorn recolor projects.

It's sort of hideously expensive for spray cans. I mean $40 a pop and $130 for the set? It better drat well be flawless looking.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

peeNamaste posted:

Just finished this bad boy right here.

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/tUIMd

Edit: It's a robert.

Nice weathering work there!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Though if you mean online vendors in general and not just importing, Amazon is really great. If you're in America.

Speaking of Amazon I just ordered an MG Turn X and MG Astray Red Frame along with some supplies and action bases. Anyone who wants the Red Frame at a nice price should buy it from Amazon now, it's on sale for only $47. :getin:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I just can't believe this year's big December release is an RG.

This entire year has just been a massive :psyduck:.

If they really want to mess with us they will announce, I dunno, RG/MG Kshatriya or something like that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

TARDISman posted:

The Qan(T) is something like 45 bucks on Amazon pretty frequently, the only real downside being it's the 00 Qan(T) and only has a swordgun and the funnels. I think the 00 Raiser is usually in the 60-70 range since it comes with the 0 Raiser and three fairly large swordguns.

EDIT: Also it comes with an LED.

Also, the 00 Raiser is more stable for posing, but good luck with the huge back parts, get a action base if you want to use the Raiser on the 00. The Raiser also comes with really nice effect parts and I think the big sword on it looks waaay better than the funnel sword, though that is subjective.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh huh, I totally forgot Bandai had an expo this time of year. Jesus is there anything else they could announce?

I hope they go completely insane and finish the year with MGPG Bearguy III.

Tune in this weekend I guess!

Fixed for true insanity. :getin:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Vahtooch posted:

I do really love how with each successive Astray the design process seems to be "Let's give it another sword. No wait, two. No wait... LETS MAKE IT SUPER POINTY!" It makes me so happy. I really need to pick up one of the Red Frame MG's, either the Sengoku or the one where the backpack turns into a huge bow thing.

I'd go with the Sengoku for the utterly ridiculous Oni Shield of Doom and general samurai styling. But I lucked out and got one for $45 on amazon so I'm biased. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Where do people get display printouts and poo poo for things like this http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-HGBC-Build-Custom/dp/B00F04QR8K/ or the little stands that go in the bigger bases like museum info plates? My handwriting sucks

That base comes with the little card that goes inside. The Action Base 3 just uses standard size post cards so you just buy/make one and stick it in. The little display thing that comes with the Action Base 1 is a do it yourself type of deal, you would have to make a label on your computer and print it on sticky labels or card stock and tape it on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ahahaha, holy poo poo, that thing it's going to be gloriously unstable, dear lord can you imagine the weight issues?

Also the GyaGya is looking sharp, it reminds me of some stuff from Five Star Stories.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Also Bandai likes to reuse RG inner frames as many times as they can get away with and this can lead to wonky proportions and scale being off. Just something to be aware of if you care about that kind of thing.

And oh man, that PG is looking hilarious, can you imagine having to fix it after it takes a dive into the floor with all the wiring for 30 loving LEDs? :laffo:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Given Unicorn's size and the fact that Bandai hasn't used wired LEDs for ages now, they can probably just put a bunch of MG LEDs in the frame for the lighting effect.

I figured that with the LEDs lighting up in sequence there would need to be wiring to make that work? Unless each one has a wireless transmitter I guess.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not insane enough.

Perfect Grade Sazabi :unsmigghh:. For when the Neo Zeong just doesn't take up enough space in your home.

1/1 scale Nightingale World Tour.

Ok, for something more plausible: RG Nu Gundam and Sazabi.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hey nerds make a decision for me: HG Unicorn Full Armor Destroy Mode, for the Zeong fight scene, or MG Turn A because it has a mustache? I'll do both eventually, which should I do first.

MG Turn A. That way the Neo Zeong can be the underdog by a hilarious margin.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I might be wrong, but I thought the HG Turn A has the same lining and stuff, but better proportions. No cow though.

What's wrong with the MGs proportions?

Also, the MG has better poseability and detail, along with the accessories being better.

Oh, and if he ever gets the MG Turn X he can pose them together without the proportions looking way off.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Huh, I'd been told that the HG can't put it's arms straight up due to the shoulder armor construction while the MG can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bimmi posted:

I do think the HG looks a little better than the MG, actually. Not too often that happens.

I like the proportions and detail on the MG better but I think the colors on the HG look better.

• Locked thread