Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So I've been out of model building for about five months and looking to get back into it. What's the general consensus of the MG Qubeley/Qubeley Mk-II? Haman was one of my favorite characters from Zeta and ZZ, but I really like the color for Ple/Puru/Pull 2's Qubeley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Making the fin funnels for a HG Nu Gundam might rank as one of the most tedious things I've done for 'fun' in my life.

Oh good I have something to look forward to when my sister gets back. She went to the Gundam Front store and snagged me a Strike Freedom, RX-78, and Nu Gundam HG GFT editions. That being said, I am stupidly excited to get back into things since one of my friends is helping me buy my first Perfect Grade in a couple months. Any good suggestions? I was thinking the Strike but I'm up for almost anything that isn't ridiculously expensive (i.e. 00 Raiser, Strike Freedom, etc.)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ok, so I've been working on my HG Strike Freedom Ver. GFT and the drat thigh polycap is too big for the thigh piece itself and it won't stay snapped together. Any suggestions for how I can make stay together?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

As it turns out I was supposed to pretty much force the top of the polycap through the plastic part or some nonsense like that, thanks for the advice Blitz.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bird mode: Check
Mercurius and Vayate: Check
Spinny attack pose: Holy mother of check!

EDIT: This is something I've been wondering since I got my AGE-2 Double Bullet, does anyone know why MG boxes are getting squatter and wider? Is it something to do with different style runners or what?

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 1, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gah, you guys all suck, the closest hobby shop I know of that stocks Gunpla is in Duluth. All the ones that I frequent in the Twin Cities bailed out around SEED I think. Something about everyone buying the main character suits and never buying the grunt/rival suits. loving philistines.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm the kinda guy who likes grunt suits better than Gundams. Especially if they have mono-eyes. Evil robot cyclops nazis just look cool.

Exactly! Hell, after getting the Astray Blue Frame MG my next couple models planned are grunt suits from different parts of the franchise since the only ones I have right now are the regular Astray, Flag, GINN, and GM Sniper II.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

MASTER MOTHERFUCKING GRADE GUNDAM X

No words... Too beautiful :allears:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bimmi posted:

is there any color Astray hasn't been yet?

Sexy Pink, unfortunately.
So I finished up the GFT exclusive models that my sister got me when she was in Tokyo and while they were all pretty good models I was pretty disappointed with the Strike Freedom. Probably because it had the same problems that every other HG from Gundam Seed had, too many goddamn stickers. The only real difference for it is that it comes with a stand that you can use to make it a bust along with 1/144 scale Kira and Lacus figures. The RX-78-2's big difference was it also came with an action base that had the logo for Gundam Front Tokyo on it and a figure of Amuro. As far as I could tell the Nu Gundam didn't have any exclusive parts that weren't in the normal HG for it. Across all three sets, though there was a set of special decals, mostly small things, like a different insignia for the shield on the Nu. Overall a good set of purchases although now that I think about it I kinda wish I asked my sis to get me the Sazabi ver GFT instead of the Strike Freedom.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Also I think I might actually pick up Build Strike, if only to support Build Fighters getting MG releases.
If it means we'd get Wing Fenice complete with unicycle then I will buy the gently caress out of Build Fighters MGs.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I kinda love how you can kinda see the DX below all the parts looking super pumped up for them to dry. So I made my next two picks for models, Ball Ver Ka and Astray Blue Frame MGs. Next I kinda want to do a HG grunt suit, doesn't really matter which setting, any suggestions?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

muike posted:

If you like any of the AGE grunt designs I'd go for those, they're designed really well. Alternatively, GM Sniper II, one of the Jestas, or a Zogok, if you can find one.

BlitzBlast posted:

That's the GX actually. And I ended up loving up the final coat, so I had to strip all that off and try again. :suicide:

Anyways, the Jesta/Jesta Cannon are pretty drat great.

I actually picked up a Sniper II when it was first released mostly because of the little bugger that came with it. But other than that I'll probably get a GM, Zaku II, Jesta, and I guess Stark Jegan because that thing looks terrific.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ok so I just got the Astray Blue Frame Master Grade and I gotta ask, does anyone else with it have troubles keeping the arms in the sockets? Mine's arms keep popping off at the shoulder connection.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

What's the general consensus on the Shin Musha MG? I'm thinking of getting that one as a post finals thingy to myself if I can maintain my current grades by the end of the semester.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I got a Jesta Cannon for my birthday, it's still one of my favorite kits I ever built. Also I got really bored the other night with an HG GM and well...

I ended up drilling a couple holes in the backpack and gave it the SMG from the GM Sniper II because really there's no point to using any other weapons on that unit.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 18, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Full announcement list:

Unicorn:
HG FA Unicorn - Destroy Mode
HG Banshee Norn - Destroy Mode

00:
RG Gundam Exia
- RG Exia RI/RII/RIII are pretty much soft confirmed as eventual webshop exclusives too.
- A new RG frame is being made for it too, so expect to see the other Meisters.
Build Fighters:
MG Build Strike Full Package
MG Build Gundam mkII

HG Qubeley Papilion

Words can't describe the feelings I have for these announcements. On one hand I was going to get the FA Unicorn for Christmas from my sister (she thinks she's getting it for me ironically.). Now I'm just thinking of waiting it out because I love the green psychoframe effect so very much more than the red. The Qubeley's probably my favorite suit from UC so I'm super excited for that to be released, and my friend's favorite series is 00, so I guess I've got his next birthday present lined up. As for the MGs, well poo poo. I'm actually wondering if they're going to try to make the Build Booster compatible with other MGs or if they're just leaving that to the HG field.

Bimmi posted:

I'm not so sure that we'll never see a Kshatriya MG. It appears to be popular enough to support one and I doubt the weight issues are insurmountable. Some Bandai Hobby mook even implied a couple years back that it might happen if/when the economic situation allows for it.

This is the main reason I'm holding out on a Kshatriya model, I guess I have a slight soft spot for the funnel intensive suits thanks to how much I like the pilots.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bimmi posted:

Reborn's transform is about as simple as they come. I question whether the demand is there for an MG, though. The other Meisters will almost certainly come first.

If the next Meister Gundam made isn't Dynames I'll be severely disappointed, mostly because it actually brought some level of variety to the usual spectrum of Gundam protagonist suits.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So it doesn't look like the Unicorn Phenex is going to be an online exclusive, but it is going to be ridiculously expensive. From what I've heard, it's neck and neck with The O for most expensive Master Grade with an MSRP of 12,000 Yen. loving ridiculous for what's actually a pretty ugly looking unit in my opinion.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I actually really want that Red Frame sword, and I'm not entirely sure why...
Now I'm planning on getting a Master Grade around Christmas time, which would be a better purchase, Musha, Wing Zero Custom Pearl Gloss, or the Duel?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I am actually planning on importing Shin Gundam Musou for my Vita, so I may end up going for the Musha. Also that'll give me some color variation, since the last MG I picked up was the Astray Blue Frame and my head's a little weird like that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Well, I guess the Build Support pack for the Sengoku Astray is going to be just a crapton of shiny weapons. Which I'm entirely ok with. Also

:allears:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So I've been looking at the K9 Sniper for the past week and I was trying to remember where I've seen this gimmick before. Then it hit me. Crying Wolf from MGS4. Now I want this guy even more!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So I finished my Christmas shopping yesterday thanks to you guys and the reminders to check the sites, ended up getting Banshee Unicorn for my girlfriend, EDIT:Dynames (not Cherudim, I keep mixing them up) for my friend who's obsessed with snipers, and Nobel and the Guren Mk-II for someone who definitely isn't posting this right now...:v:

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 1, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Robot4Less' Cyber Monday sale is in effect, 30% off full order with the use of the coupon code CYBER30. That there SRC Alteisen is tempting me, the harlot.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Man I'm really glad R4L did the cyber monday sale. I got the EX-S, Freedom and Jesta for a steal.

You're one of the only ones I think, it's still crashed over here. I managed to sneak in at 2ish to do my order super fast but a friend is pissed because time's almost up and the site's being stupid.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Unicorn's final episode is coming out this year, so I expect to see a MG Jesta Cannon soon to add to 2014's all-star MG list.

I already have an HGUC of the Cannon but I will be fully loving willing to buy a Master Grade of it, that thing is such a work of art.
Is there any sort of weapons rack thing made for HG weapons? Because I have a ridiculous amount of unused weapons lying and I think it'd look pretty loving rad if they were displayed.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sigh, too expensive, and too "in the US", though I'd really like one of the Unicorns with the green psychoframe. Maybe I'll paint the HG.

Next year they're releasing a HG Full Armor in Destroy Mode, so at the very least that'll have the green frame, from the looks of things there won't be a green frame Banshee, though.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I kinda hope that they actually have some of my items in stock, I think I read somewhere that they listed all their items as in stock for this sale, and a couple of the sets I bought are usually out of stock elsewhere.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Holy hell that thing's massive... drat shame my neurosis demands that I get the HGUC of the Sazabi.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

HLJ's shipping fee for the Sazabi vKa is 5000 yen. :allears:

For perspective, the actual kit costs 7200.

That's beautiful.
So my friends and I are all doing a big modeling night next week, but we need to decide on what to watch/listen to. Anyone have a show of choice to watch while building?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Monaghan posted:

I love documentaries so I have them in the background when I'm working on gunpla as documentaries are pretty much all audio anyway. Besides, it makes me feel like at I'm at doing something somewhat productive, because at least I'm learning something :v:.

Yeah, when I watch stuff while building stuff it's usually something more audio focused like The West Wing or something, otherwise it'll take me something like 6 hours to finish an HG. Thanks for the suggestions guys! We'll probably listen to some podcasts or something.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I finally got my Robot4Less order, turns out my free Cyber Monday gift was a shiny red stand. Perfect timing since one of the new sets I bought was a RG GP01 Fb. Super excited for this semester to end so I can get to building!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So thanks to the Zaku II HGUC being weird and incompatible with the Amazing Booster set, I think I'm going to try experimenting with some damage detailing, any tips for how I could pull this off?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hmmmm guess I'll give it another shot and get back to you. It's entirely possible I was hallucinating, as this week has been rather odd like that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Robot4Less' New Year Sale is going on, 25% off orders with the proper coupon code. Part of me is considering taking the plunge and finally buying the PG Strike...

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

I paid extra for the hobbyshop exclusive Full Armor version. Like every FA kit, all the pieces fly off as soon as you turn your back
I think I'll wait for the Destroy Mode next Spring.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm a little surprised they haven't announced a Zaku Amazing or something along those lines yet.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The only problem I have with GundamGuy is my computer occasionally loses its poo poo when I load it up and plug ins start crashing. It's kinda hilarious and annoying at the same time.
EDIT: Ok, my Blue Frame's really pissing me off, the goddamn thumb on the right hand keeps popping off, now it's somewhere in the carpet and I can't find the little bastard. This happens every time I move the drat thing so I'm just going to put it in an arms crossed pose and shove it near the back because goddammit.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 30, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Incidentally, due to the nature of RG, the announce of RG Exia pretty much soft confirms RG Dynames, maybe RG Kyrios, and maybe RG Nadleeh/Virtue. And if that scale doesn't suit your taste, well most of the NG 1/100 00 kits were actually pretty drat good.

I was already planning on buying a RG Dynames because goddamn Dynames is the coolest :allears:, but it will be a glorious day if the Virtue is announced and it has Nadleeh as an included transform gimmick. Not quite sure how they'd hide the hair in Virtue but eh, Bandai's currently staffed by magical elves hell bent on fulfilling everyone's dreams so I believe in them.

Also that Tallgeese is sexy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly the iffiest part about RG Virtue is that there's just too much stuff going on. Nadleeh alone could make a solid RG, but the Virtue parts are big and bulky and could very easily push the price tag over what's acceptable. It's not exactly a guaranteed seller either.

They could go full cheapskate and release RG Nadleeh and then make the Virtue parts web-exclusive/another RG I suppose.

I would be 100% ok with this because I'm just really interested on how they'd do the hair. I'd probably still buy both because I'm a sucker for S1 Gundam Meisters, same with one of my buds who I build with. This is of course dependent on whether or not they do it at all, as you said.

• Locked thread