Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm a total Gunpla newbie, and was thinking of trying my hand at one of the HG Enacts. Are they decent starter kits, or is this a terrible idea? Any other tips? I have a pair of clippers and have assembled 40K miniatures before, but I'm no expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd recommend against the Enact. It's a fairly simple kit, but it has no polycaps. The limbs have a tendency to flop, which is not something you want in a transforming design.

If you want some simple kits to try, here's a few recommendations;
  • HGUC Jesta Cannon
  • Gunpla Starter Set Vol.2 (The G30th version of the RX-78-02)
  • Any of the modern Strike Gundams (HGCE Strike or Strike Rouge, or either of the Build Strikes)
  • Anything from the All-Gundam lineup, which is any Gundam with a HGUC box number higher than about 170. The Wing Gundam's the first of them.

I was thinking about the Jegan, then. When and where do the polycaps start showing up in the product line?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Polycaps have been around since the very beginning, they just sometimes do kits without them for some infathomable reason.

It never works out.

I see. I am a fan of the 00 mook-suits and Ali al-Saachez's machines - is it just the Enact that isn't capped?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Enact and Flags don't have polycaps. The Tierens are great kits, though the legs have a tendency to pop off if you don't position them right due to a weird hip design. They go back on just fine, just gotta take care in how you pose it.

I'm guessing it's because the Flags and Enacts are so skinny. Would that mean the GN-X is A-OK?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sweet. Guess I'll order a GN-X, then try my hand at the Throne Zwei.

As an end-goal, I'd like to do a MG Qubeley (best suit, best pilot :allears:), but I want to practice a bit first.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How are the Victory and Victory-2 as kits? I've always loved that show's mecha designs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For my future HG plans after the GN-X and Throne Zwei, how are the Arche Gundam and Kampfer Amazing as kits?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Arche Gundam is a bit plain looking, it's soooo red, and it's not broken up by much. Panel lining it improves it a great deal.

Well, I was planning to get into panel-lining from day one (all I need is cotton swabs and a mechanical pencil? Easy), so that's not a big deal. No glaring flaws with the actual kits, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad link.

• Locked thread