Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Once again I must call upon your collective infinite wisdoms to identify a font (or one similar):

While I'm at it it seems most of these are "default magazine fonts from the 1990s"; does anyone have any hints as to where I can find more of these kinds of fonts? Thanks!

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

I think thats Dom Casual.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

korusan posted:

Once again I must call upon your collective infinite wisdoms to identify a font (or one similar):

Textile, from Apple.

korusan posted:

While I'm at it it seems most of these are "default magazine fonts from the 1990s"; does anyone have any hints as to where I can find more of these kinds of fonts? Thanks!

WhatTheFont? and the forum is an excellent resource.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is there any remotely easy and free-ish way to output from Illustrator and make an actual damnm font file? Everything on the low end of the market looks like "scan your handwiriting for rad font action!" and Fontlab seems way out of my league from both an expertise and cost standpoint.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

qirex posted:

Is there any remotely easy and free-ish way to output from Illustrator and make an actual damnm font file? Everything on the low end of the market looks like "scan your handwiriting for rad font action!" and Fontlab seems way out of my league from both an expertise and cost standpoint.

Not that I'm aware of. You could make the glyphs in Illustrator and assemble them into a font with FontCreator maybe?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

qirex posted:

If you love tedium, http://fontstruct.com/ is another option!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Does anyone happen to know the name of the main font is in You Don't Know Jack? I can't find it anywhere. I'm inclined to believe it's a custom font made by Jellyvision just for this game.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm pretty sure it's Franklin Gothic Condensed.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Textile, from Apple.

Most definitely not. It's not Dom Casual either. Upon closer look, the G is different.

compared with

HighClassSwankyTime fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 5, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, I'm bad. It seems that some digitizations of Dom Casual Italic had the looping "g" (like this one), so perhaps they tilted the italic font back? I don't know...

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh, I'm bad. It seems that some digitizations of Dom Casual Italic had the looping "g" (like this one), so perhaps they tilted the italic font back? I don't know...

It appears you are correct. Why someone would skew a font backwards to undo italic, I have no idea.

Irilly Dunnoe
Jan 13, 2010

But when turning her head at an extreme angle fails to produce a life-altering epiphany, she usually just short-circuits and rolls on her back.
After you read it so many times, the words "coming soon" start to look like "comic sans." :gonk:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Fayez Butts posted:

Forza is another good one, basically an updated Eurostile.
Since I don't really know that much about fonts, are those prices normal for fonts? Or is it because they're high quality fonts?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Kgummy posted:

Since I don't really know that much about fonts, are those prices normal for fonts? Or is it because they're high quality fonts?

It's because you're usually getting unlimited commercial use out of them (unless the license specifies otherwise) and even if you aren't, they're like the one thing in the US which doesn't have incomprehensibly strong copyright protection if you can find a look-enough-alike.

Readblood
Nov 9, 2005

qirex posted:

The free way of doing it is by using the program FontForge. It is an ugly program. Difficult to install and use, but will do what you are looking for.

FontLab is the industry standard, but the cheaper Glyphs and RoboFont are also popular. Most of these have a limited time demo.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Kgummy posted:

Those prices aren't even high. Some packages can go up into the few thousands for a single license. Font production is extremely hard to pice, some typefaces take years to complete, the amount of hours put into the finishing touches (which can take years, while the main design can be done in a few weeks).

And that's not even talking about custom ordered typefaces...

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Readblood posted:

The free way of doing it is by using the program FontForge. It is an ugly program. Difficult to install and use, but will do what you are looking for.

For what it's worth, FontForge is basically the Gimp, but for fonts. Glyphs looks fantastic, and I've heard good things about it—I'm slowly saving for a copy.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

Visitor -BRK-

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 8, 2013

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Does anyone know of a font at least vaguely similar to the SGT PEPPERS / CLUB BAND on the drum here?

I am trying to do my own version (so need extra letters too), and have fought with moving the letters around in Gimp, including drawing shadows in on the opposite side after cutting/pasting from the bottom words, and tried making new letters with what's already there (like R to D), but it looks rubbish. I am also pretty sure (though not certain) that the drum from the album cover (above) was hand-painted, in which case I've looked for a best match.

There are two very similar typed versions that look close to the original (but don't quite seem to be the same - look at the B in BAND). If anyone knows what these are, or knows of a better match to the original, I'd be very grateful:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Since it was originally hand lettered you're never going to find a perfect match. Maybe take one that's close and tweak it in Illustrator?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'll give it a go. I've never edited a font before, though.

If anyone recognizes the font on the two bottom images in the post then that'd work too

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm digging this Quadon font that was posted on Behance:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Quadon-Typefamily/7582855

Pretty good introductory pricing deal too.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

e: All the fonts you'd ever need!

EMILY BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 23, 2013

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

What's this font called? I see it on all sorts of stuff from Asia, and it's been bugging me.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Number Two Stunna posted:

What's this font called? I see it on all sorts of stuff from Asia, and it's been bugging me.

FangSong. Comes with Windows.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Suspicious Dish posted:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Holy poo poo that is the China go-to font. Everything we import from there has that loving font.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

I always thought it was Ming Liu, never bothered to check though. Learn something new ever day!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well, Asian languages are traditionally fixed-width, so it's probably just the combination of fixed-width and serif, of which there are very few designed in a Western context. Even when they don't use special fonts, they'll use the fixed-width unicode variants¬

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I feel like I'm seeing electronic device installation instructions when I see that font.

I didn't realize it was so ubiquitous.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

A modified LCD Regular.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat

simplefish posted:

Does anyone know of a font at least vaguely similar to the SGT PEPPERS / CLUB BAND on the drum here?

Lost Type's OIL CAN might work: http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=oilcan

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ah, that would have been lovely. Seems like a pretty good match.

As it was I took a font and offset the letters in Paint, so for example the C is just typing C twice, and then overlaying with a horizontal offset. Then I did the same thing with a horizontal and vertical offset to create the "shadow"

I can't remember the font I used, but I think it was a standard Windows one, and I think I used the Bold version.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Can you do type along a path in Gimp? Cause that will treat you a lot better than Paint

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fayez Butts posted:

Can you do type along a path in Gimp? Cause that will treat you a lot better than Paint

Why not Inkscape? Because in that you sure can.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

I used Gimp (you can't rotate things other than 45 or 90 degrees - I forget which - in Paint), and I've used typing along a path in the Corel equivalent of Photoshop (but after learning that, I sadly no longer have access to it).

But the way Gimp seems to handle both fonts and paths irritates me - I read several guides and couldn't get it to work. I'm sure I was just missing something glaringly obvious, but the quickest and most stress-free way for me to sort it was: create the letters in Paint in two colours, open each as a layer in Gimp (sorting out transparency), position them over each other with the adequate "drop shadow" offset, --> merge down, select individual letter and paste into drum image as a layer, rotate and space by hand.

As you can tell from the text, it didn't need to be flawless in execution.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
lol gimp

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

please, anyone know the font? Is it a Helvetica variation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
Looks like some kind of condensed Haettenschweiler, if such a thing exists.

I only have regular so I had to squash this a bit.

Electric Crayon fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 12, 2013