Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Strudel Man posted:

Art deco is purely an artistic style; 'dieselpunk' also contains setting implications, which appear in this case to be realized. Art deco, as well, is not suggestive of any gritty, ugly underbelly to the world, while dieselpunk most certainly is.

This is a bad definition for dieselpunk, because like steampunk it's trying to harken back to cyberpunk, which is supposed to be advanced technology and gritty life. Except steampunk is just victorian aesthetic with anachronistic technology, rarely having anything to do with setting tone. The same goes for dieslepunk (which I guess Bioshock is supposed to be?). If it's supposed to be early 19th century technology and gritty life, that's fine, but this game isn't that. It's some crazy sci-fi looking stuff mixed with some vague modern parallels set in a world that aesthetically is going through the turn of the century. That's not really what I would consider dieselpunk or steampunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Giggily posted:

It's some crazy sci-fi looking stuff mixed with some vague modern parallels set in a world that aesthetically is going through the turn of the century. That's not really what I would consider dieselpunk or steampunk.
I think you're throwing things too readily under the banner of "crazy sci-fi looking stuff," without considering that they might in fact be evocative of an actual historical era. If the 'crazy stuff' is aesthetically derived from Victorian or industrial designs, then what you have here is a fair description of most steam/dieselpunk.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Strudel Man posted:

I think you're throwing things too readily under the banner of "crazy sci-fi looking stuff," without considering that they might in fact be evocative of an actual historical era.

Ah, how could I have forgotten!

The giant bipidel stealth lightning archers, common in early 20th century Europe.

Tesla cannons, which saw wide usage in World War 1.

And of course, massive hydrofoil ships, the mainstay of shipping of the day.

But yes, there are cars which appear to be based off of old models like the model T (coincidentally housed in some Art Deco museums), normal boats, and they do shoot guns. You got me there.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Giggily, I'm not sure what you mean with: "Dieselpunk, known in some small subcultures as "art deco."

I don't know if you were joking, but Art Deco was a worldwide esthetic movement and I've never heard of dieselpunk or a connection between them. The car reminds me more of combine vehicles than anything art deco but I guess it shares the external wheel structure of the Model T (which stopped being in production at the beginning of said movement).

I think we can conclude that they basically just made poo poo up, stole art styles from wherever they saw fit, and made something cool looking. I'm going to avoid labeling it as some *punk style because it just seems like they're doing their own thing.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Giggily posted:

Ah, how could I have forgotten!

The giant bipidel stealth lightning archers, common in early 20th century Europe.

Tesla cannons, which saw wide usage in World War 1.

And of course, massive hydrofoil ships, the mainstay of shipping of the day.

But yes, there are cars which appear to be based off of old models like the model T (coincidentally housed in some Art Deco museums), normal boats, and they do shoot guns. You got me there.
You are an unpleasant person.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Giggily, I'm not sure what you mean with: "Dieselpunk, known in some small subcultures as "art deco."

I don't know if you were joking, but Art Deco was a worldwide esthetic movement and I've never heard of dieselpunk or a connection between them. The car reminds me more of combine vehicles than anything art deco but I guess it shares the external wheel structure of the Model T (which stopped being in production at the beginning of said movement).

I think we can conclude that they basically just made poo poo up, stole art styles from wherever they saw fit, and made something cool looking. I'm going to avoid labeling it as some *punk style because it just seems like they're doing their own thing.

I think Art Deco really is just post World War 1, it didn't really have a definitive beginning or end and did sort of coincide with with the Model T from what I understand. But yes, the car looks more sci-fi than anything, like almost every other piece of technology in the game. The game's aesthetic is really heavily mixed between the futuristic Combine style designs with pre WWI stuff. It's neat and definitely unique.

Also yes I was being sarcastic.

Strudel Man posted:

You are an unpleasant person.

I agree, that was a pretty dickish post but I wanted to make a point however poorly it ended up coming out. A lot of the technology we've seen doesn't have historical analogues and doesn't appear to have historical elements in the designs. It's straight up sci/fi fantasy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's true that this game's art style is more than can be summed up with any sort of "____punk" word. It's not as traditionally steampunk (in the sense of "not as many things run on steam") as BioShock or BioShock Infinite, and both of those games also have some dieselpunk elements (whatever the heck that means, because it seems like there's disagreement even about the term), and in any case the stuff in Dishonored is more a product of Victor Antonov's mind than anywhere else, but it definitely is inspired by 1940's London from what they've said, and that sort of aesthetic often gets lumped into steampunk (even if it has little to do with steam) when it's mixed with Victorian era stuff (which Dishonored is doing) so really unless you're one of those people who gets high blood pressure when they see the word "steampunk" because you can't separate crazy people who use hot glue guns to attach watch parts to their vests from the people who think The Difference Engine is a good book, "steampunk" is, I think, a fairly good shorthand to get people to picture a mix of Victorian stylings and modern-yet-not-quite-modern technology (bows and arrows, BUT THEY SHOOT ELECTRICITY, just like BioShock 2 has a shotgun, BUT IT SHOOTS ELECTRICITY, and so on).

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Giggily posted:

I think Art Deco really is just post World War 1, it didn't really have a definitive beginning or end and did sort of coincide with with the Model T from what I understand.

I wouldn't really classify the Model T, or the designs we've seen so far as Art Deco, or even Art Nouveau. They lean more towards modernism or even constructivism: Right/sharp angles everywhere, opting for function over form and lack of concern for aerodynamics. The only things that seem to contradict that are the extremely Art Deco mecha-stilts, which are almost all curves.

EDIT: VVV Yeah, that sounds about right.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 18, 2012

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
It's like if Modernism and Bauhaus had a baby and Stempunk kidnapped it for a ransom of 3000 impressionism.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Cinematic Trailer up at http://www.dishonored.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E1HlYTukh9A

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
Mind just got seriously blown if the game ends up being that good.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Trailer looks amazing. The archer walkers look a lot more menacing and less goofy in motion and the whole turn the bullets against them skill is pretty badass as well. The universe looks very Thiefy and HL at the same time and man, I can't wait to explore that universe.

Wish they could have shown more stealth skills but I already got this baby per-ordered none the less. Amazon shows this as coming out in December 12, but I'm guess that's just a placeholder? Was hoping for an earlier release.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
A release date has not been announced yet as far as I know, so it's more than likely a placeholder date on amazon.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'm going to sell this game to people with the claim that it is "Half-Life 2 meets Thief meets Assassin's Creed meets Pathologic meets Steampunk".

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ZearothK posted:

I'm going to sell this game to people with the claim that it is "Half-Life 2 meets Thief meets Assassin's Creed meets Pathologic meets Steampunk".

You left off Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah!

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
I know it's pre-rendered but god *drat* that art style looks amazing. :D

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I didn't even know this game existed until I saw the cinematic trailer today over at Eurogamer. Whenever I hear someone say "steampunk" I tend to walk in the opposite direction, but I can't really argue with the fact that seeing common rabble getting blown up by tesla coils is pretty spectacular. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Now that is a fantastic cinematic trailer.

Maybe this is why Prey 2 got cancelled/pushed back/whatever by Bethesda; the trailers (and the games themselves) are sorta similar and I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up running on the same engine.

Here's the Prey 2 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sYtVnyzVKc

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't know, doesn't seem much samey to me. Moreover, it has nothing to do with Prey and I feel games like that shouldn't have a sequel in the first place (not because I didn't like it - I did - but because it's that kind of a one time experience). I am aware that's the current trend of slapping a (in)famous tag on a new game just to boost its sales but I still feel like the game would do better presented as completely new IP like Dishonored.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

lordfrikk posted:

I don't know, doesn't seem much samey to me. Moreover, it has nothing to do with Prey and I feel games like that shouldn't have a sequel in the first place (not because I didn't like it - I did - but because it's that kind of a one time experience). I am aware that's the current trend of slapping a (in)famous tag on a new game just to boost its sales but I still feel like the game would do better presented as completely new IP like Dishonored.

Well, it's the overall storyboard of the trailers that are a little similar for me (combined with the whole first person open world and nifty gadgets/abilities thing). The ending especially stuck out to me.

And the whole piggybacking on an existing IP to improve sales has existed for far longer than just the last couple years. It isn't a current trend at all.

The issue with completely new IP's is that they are immensely, immensely risky in terms of whether or not you'll recoup the costs of development and marketing.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

This looks really cool (and also like it will kill my current computer). It's derivative as hell but there's nothing wrong with improving on something that already worked I guess? I just wish the protagonist looked a little more interesting. Oh he's a moody mysterious assassin, how long did it take the writers to come up with that?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Is that Billy Lush speaking to Corvo at the beginning? Also, this game looks awesome; I'm getting some serious Thief vibes here.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Atma McCuddles posted:

This looks really cool (and also like it will kill my current computer). It's derivative as hell but there's nothing wrong with improving on something that already worked I guess? I just wish the protagonist looked a little more interesting. Oh he's a moody mysterious assassin, how long did it take the writers to come up with that?

What exactly is it derivative of? I mean revenge stories have existed since time immemorial and the setting is pretty unique so do you mean the gameplay?

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice
Watched the trailer.

Massive thief 2 flashbacks. These are never a bad thing.

I need this game like the deserts need the rain.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You need flash floods?

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice
Someone clearly hasn't been listening to enough mid to late 90s dance classics.

The city very much reminds me of "the city" from thief... And the good kind of rooftop skulking - think life of the party, not assassins creed.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
For some reason I had thought that Corvo's supernatural abilities had been from his time as a guard, but the trailer makes it look like its related to the 'mysterious stranger' who visits him after he's been sentenced. Have they revealed much about how magic works in universe / how prominent it is? All I remember on the matter from the Game Informer magazine from last year was that their were talismans that culturally were believed to be good luck charms that, for Corvo at least, actually provided statistical benefit. At first I took this to mean that they functioned for everyone, and just as a player you knew how what statistical benefits they were providing you, but now I'm beginning to wonder if its all related to the mark on his hand...

Atma McCuddles posted:

As has been said the revenge tale is hardly a novel technique, but it can be a highly effective one and the world their portraying it in is the lure for me. With any luck they'll make it unfold in an innovative way and it won't just be another stale revenge tale in the world of videogames.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anniversary posted:

For some reason I had thought that Corvo's supernatural abilities had been from his time as a guard, but the trailer makes it look like its related to the 'mysterious stranger' who visits him after he's been sentenced. Have they revealed much about how magic works in universe / how prominent it is? All I remember on the matter from the Game Informer magazine from last year was that their were talismans that culturally were believed to be good luck charms that, for Corvo at least, actually provided statistical benefit. At first I took this to mean that they functioned for everyone, and just as a player you knew how what statistical benefits they were providing you, but now I'm beginning to wonder if its all related to the mark on his hand...

quote:

The Outsider: "This supernatural being is the source of all magic in Dishonored's world, including the many powers at the player's disposal." It's described as being "part devil, part angel, and entirely ambiguous." They mention that you will meet the Outsider at some point.

Here's the game's world map

As far as I can tell there isn't really isn't supposed to be much magic in the setting, its just set in a hypothetical industrial revolution powered by whales where Tesla's ideas have much more grounding.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Giggily posted:

Here's the game's world map

As far as I can tell there isn't really isn't supposed to be much magic in the setting, its just set in a hypothetical industrial revolution powered by whales where Tesla's ideas have much more grounding.

Excellent link. Only makes me more interested in the game world they're building.

And I'd forgotten about the significance of the Outsider. Now I'm wondering if its somehow related to the Litany on the White Mount the Gristol overview mentions.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
:allears:

I think my favorite part of that trailer has to be Corvo just straight up murdering that guy. Not standing around to listen to his pleas/offers, just straight up, hi, slit throat, bye.

That does not happen nearly enough in games.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Also not a lot of first-person face-to-face throat slitting in games. Lots of back stabbing or back throat slitting, or even third person throat slitting while you twirl (I'm looking at you assassin's creed) but not a lot of games have the guts to have you look a guy in the eye as you're opening him up.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Al! posted:

Also not a lot of first-person face-to-face throat slitting in games. Lots of back stabbing or back throat slitting, or even third person throat slitting while you twirl (I'm looking at you assassin's creed) but not a lot of games have the guts to have you look a guy in the eye as you're opening him up.

That was pretty jarring! This is a game that really earns its M rating.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Rookersh posted:

:allears:

I think my favorite part of that trailer has to be Corvo just straight up murdering that guy. Not standing around to listen to his pleas/offers, just straight up, hi, slit throat, bye.

That does not happen nearly enough in games.

Indeed, it was very refreshing. No typical bargaining or talking long enough for the guards to show up and chase him off without his kill.

I was kind of taken aback by how Assassin Creed-ish and violently bloody it was. I'm hoping the action is played up for the trailer and there are other much more stealthy ways to get the kill done.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

fookolt posted:

That was pretty jarring! This is a game that really earns its M rating.

Killing is too easy and alienated in most games and it would be neat if this one really made every kill at least as revolting to make me not want to do it unless absolutely necessary.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Al! posted:

Killing is too easy and alienated in most games and it would be neat if this one really made every kill at least as revolting to make me not want to do it unless absolutely necessary.

I totally agree. Even Assassin's Creed always felt really alienated in its actual assassinations.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I guess actual gameplay was too much to hope for :sigh:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Cutscene kills: Revengineer(Corvo) leaps into the air in slow motion and kicks one of the stilt guys so hard his torso flies off of his stilts and explodes. (Into spiked walls)
Bonus pre-order DLC: ability to pick up barrels and rocks and bash people in the head with them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Farbtoner posted:

I guess actual gameplay was too much to hope for :sigh:
Yes, I think if you expected the pre-rendered trailer that Bethesda releases for their games before they release much gameplay footage to contain any actual gameplay footage, then you were hoping for too much. For example, if I go to a restaurant that always gives everyone a glass of water before they take drink orders, then a Coke is too much to hope for.

If you want gameplay footage you can check out some of the videos in the OP or just chill out a bit and wait for it. I actually like prerendered trailers because I can get an assload of gameplay footage when the game comes out and in the buildup to release, but high quality interpretations of the game's world aren't something we always get. For instance, even if Prey 2 is sadly canceled, at least we got that kickass trailer. Similarly, no matter how awesome or horrible Dishonored is, at least we got a neat trailer set in that world where we got to watch a stilt-guard shoot a napalm arrow at the hoi polloi.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million nerds cried out in horror, and were suddenly silenced--when they found out this wasn't Skyrim DLC.

I will probably play the poo poo out of this, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
Thief-like city and atmosphere is great. It will propably be a ton of fun, but I don't have hopes of it being like Thief gameplaywise.
Garrett was a unique hero in that he wasn't overpowered compared to other entities in his world. Guards were a serious threat to him on higher difficulties, so this looks more like AssCreed in first person to me.

I mean, why does he even bother fleeing from the guards in the end? Not like he couldn't kill everything in the mansion with his abilities and gadgets (just like Ezio).

• Locked thread