Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Massive video blowout over at Gametrailers (not a ton of new gameplay footage from what I can tell):
Preview part 1

The most amazing part of this is the non-lethal solutions. You can have a person sentenced to a life of slavery in there own mine and get the "Pope" of the game's religion excommunicated. Its rare that stabbing someone in the face is the less satisfying conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another preview. Nothing particularly remarkable about it except that it's on this "The Verge" place which is making a big play to become one of the rising stars of game journalism or whatever.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Another preview. Nothing particularly remarkable about it except that it's on this "The Verge" place which is making a big play to become one of the rising stars of game journalism or whatever.

Never heard of The Verge. What's so special about it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They majority of their content consists of thoughtful, well-written articles, tasteful comments on interesting news, and so on, rather than the Kotaku standard of "look at this bullshit not-news story" or "this is a purposefully inflammatory argument meant to bring lots of views to our site" or "we did not follow even the basics of journalistic standards and have crammed this article with multiple mistakes."

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
The Verge has more than its share of dumb stories, but they also do pretty great coverage of new products.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tufty posted:

Never heard of The Verge. What's so special about it?

They were just a tech site then decided to hire on a bunch of journo luminaries like the McElroy brothers and the less creepy guy from Kotaku to launch a gaming thing.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They majority of their content consists of thoughtful, well-written articles, tasteful comments on interesting news, and so on, rather than the Kotaku standard of "look at this bullshit not-news story" or "this is a purposefully inflammatory argument meant to bring lots of views to our site" or "we did not follow even the basics of journalistic standards and have crammed this article with multiple mistakes."

That's not just true for Kotaku. It's endemic to almost every single facet of what is laughably called "gaming journalism" along with incompetence, thinly veiled advertising, gossip, rumour mongering, lovely writing and all the other hallmarks of what would be considered the lowest tabloid standards in any other form of journalism.

I guess RPS is ok, but even they occasionally do rumour lists and poo poo like that. Sometimes I just wish there were websites (or even paper magazines) with at least something that resembled a consistent level of academic writing and analyses and journalistic integrity.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Joda posted:

That's not just true for Kotaku. It's endemic to almost every single facet of what is laughably called "gaming journalism" along with incompetence, thinly veiled advertising, gossip, rumour mongering, lovely writing and all the other hallmarks of what would be considered the lowest tabloid standards in any other form of journalism.

I guess RPS is ok, but even they occasionally do rumour lists and poo poo like that. Sometimes I just wish there were websites (or even paper magazines) with at least something that resembled a consistent level of academic writing and analyses and journalistic integrity.
Yes, I called it the "Kotaku standard" rather than just singling out Kotaku. There is good games writing out there (RPS often links to it in the Sunday Papers) but any website that's also looking for views is necessarily going to have some level of crap. RPS and The Verge are two of the very few sites who keep that poo poo to the minimum.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Joda posted:

How about Gamasutra?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How about Gamasutra?

Isn't that more of an industry magazine though? I might be wrong but I always perceived a clear distinction between industry journalism aimed at other people in the business and "popular" journalism aimed at the general public with an interest in the medium.

E.g. most countries probably have industry journals for both economists and anthropologists which would be largely inaccessible to the general public. Time Magazine, however, has content with a high academic level in both those fields, whilst still being accessible and interesting to people who don't hold degrees in either field.

This might be too much of a tangent to go out on for this thread, despite how interesting I find the discussion. I think I'll look into starting a general "merits of gaming journalism" thread at some point, seeing as a search didn't yield any results. I have PMs if anyone wants to reply to what I wrote above before then though.

Joda fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 6, 2012

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Gamasutra is much more industry focused. They'll still have some occasional crossover with consumer media but I doubt they'd ever post "Check out this sweet Dishonored trailer!".

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I've been adding the Penny Arcade Report by Ben Kuchera to my "games journalism" reading. It's articles are well written and usually interesting. There is also a section called "the cut" where other well written articles are linked. I'm hoping that this better writing catches on and more sites start actually having content that isn't just regurgitated press releases and poorly written shock opinions.

I do read RPS for my minute by minute coverage, but I would rather they focus a little more on quality and a little less on funny. Still they are way ahead of the Kotaku-likes.

Edit: Oops, this is the Dishonored thread :-p

So, what do you guys want to see in the collector's edition box?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Dishonored releasing in North America on October 9th and throughout Europe on October 12th!

With a new cover box art.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, that boxart isn't great. Makes it look like an Army of Two sequel or something. Good to have a release date, though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Only 5 months to wait! In unrelated news, check out this gem of a comment on the Bethesda blog in reference to the picture of the box art they used being of the PS3 version:

quote:

Wow! Bethesda doing a headline about a game and using a PS3 box art cover for the image!?!? I thought you usually try to screw us PS3 fans over with your lack of support for your PS3 fans.

Besides that though, I might pick up the game. Need to see more solid gameplay though before I decide.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Is he being ironic? I cannot tell when it comes to gamers anymore :psyduck:

October sounds like a good date, hope it doesn't get delayed like Infinite.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
This sounds really cool, and Harvey Smith is awesome, but:

quote:

Victorian steampunk city inspired by London in the 1940's
:psyduck: This is rather like "Nazi cyberpunk city inspired by Berlin in the 1980s" or "Great Depression-era city inspired by New York in the 1970s"

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 10, 2012

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Zephro posted:

:psyduck: This is rather like "Nazi cyberpunk city inspired by Berlin in the 1980s" or "Great Depression-era city inspired by New York in the 1970s"

Because art has never once in its history reconciled disparate themes into a unique, unified vision.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
In this case they're not even particularly difficult to reconcile. Victorian society, 1940s architecture and industry, pretty much sums it up.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Leb posted:

Because art has never once in its history reconciled disparate themes into a unique, unified vision.
I'm not being 100% serious, but what brought me up on reading that is that "Victorian London in the 1940s" doesn't mean anything because Queen Victoria had been dead for getting on for half a century by that point. "America under Truman in the 1990s" is an exact equivalent. Not to mention that the two are pretty much polar opposites: 1940s London is bombed-out ruins, food rationing, demobilised soldiers and women's clothing made from cut-up old curtains; Victorian London is gaslit, hugely prosperous and hugely squalid, proud, imperial, world-bestriding and cosmpolitan.

I presume they mean 40s tech with Victorian attitudes but the way its written just looks kinda dumb.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 10, 2012

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It's Victorian classism with 1940s ravaging brought by the black plague instead of war. Though how you'd get that exact situation from the phrase is beyond me.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
This looks great!

I guess Arkane canned their other game in order to make this. While this is, as I said, great looking. It is a shame that the other game got canned. But they seem similar gameplay wise. All I remember is that it was set in the future (I think) and people could join your singleplayer game and take over the roles of the enemies. Which seemed neat.
Dishonored won't have any sort of multiplayer I take it?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Torabi posted:

This looks great!

I guess Arkane canned their other game in order to make this. While this is, as I said, great looking. It is a shame that the other game got canned. But they seem similar gameplay wise. All I remember is that it was set in the future (I think) and people could join your singleplayer game and take over the roles of the enemies. Which seemed neat.
Dishonored won't have any sort of multiplayer I take it?

Correct, no multiplayer.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Zephro posted:

"America under Truman in the 1990s"

Now there's an idea worth exploring. If I end up developing a story or video game from this I'll be sure to mention you in the credits, Zephro.:)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Torabi posted:

I guess Arkane canned their other game in order to make this.

In an interview they said it was put on hold until they decide what to do with it, so I guess it's not lost yet, although this is literally the only piece of information I know about it so I am not sure why should even care :v:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zephro posted:

Victorian steampunk city inspired by London in the 1940's

Literally right after that part of the OP is a link to a video that explains everything, but to sum it up for you, the city is a Victorian-esque one with steampunk technology inspired by 1940's London.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Steamworks confirmed.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Should I buy Thief: Deadly Shadows for $20 on Steam? I really enjoyed Deus Ex, Dark Messiah, and Hitman: Blood Money.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Deadly Shadows is worth it, yes. It's closer to Thief 2 in play style (though not quite as good).

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If it's going to be your first experience of thief I'd loving skip it and go straight for thief 2 which is pennies on gog.com. Deadly Shadows is a poor inheritor to the first two games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Thief: Deadly Shadows is $10 DRM-free on Gog as well. I cannot think of a reason to buy the Steam version since I'm sure adding it to the client will work just fine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Oberleutnant posted:

If it's going to be your first experience of thief I'd loving skip it and go straight for thief 2 which is pennies on gog.com. Deadly Shadows is a poor inheritor to the first two games.
If it's going to be your first experience of Thief I'd just start with Thief 1 and 2 from gog.com then pick up Thief 3 when it's on sale sometime for like $2.50.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Thief: Deadly Shadows is $10 DRM-free on Gog as well. I cannot think of a reason to buy the Steam version since I'm sure adding it to the client will work just fine.

I'm pretty sure it won't. The overlay doesn't even work on the Steam version, so I don't see how it could work through a short cut.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo I am excited for this.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I have to admit while Dishonored looks great, that Prey 2 trailer linked earlier has me even more interested. Prey didn't do it for me but an open world sci-fi city bounty hunter game piques my interests.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ZombyDog posted:

I have to admit while Dishonored looks great, that Prey 2 trailer linked earlier has me even more interested. Prey didn't do it for me but an open world sci-fi city bounty hunter game piques my interests.

I have some bad news for you, right now Prey 2 is in development limbo with a good chance that the studio that was working on it is going to be dumped, and who knows what it will turn into after that.

Ungrateful Dead
May 13, 2012

Knocking at Paranoia's Poision Door

Al! posted:

I have some bad news for you, right now Prey 2 is in development limbo with a good chance that the studio that was working on it is going to be dumped, and who knows what it will turn into after that.

Truly a shame. The conceptualization of playing a bounty hunter in an open-world has a lot of potential, and even though it's been done before, I feel the concept had never really been used to it's fullest extent. Figures. Along comes the game that might change that, and it ends up going into limbo :/

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Al! posted:

I thought I heard something somewhere that Prey 2 is going forward in development, but everything we've seen so far has been changed.

Or some other bullshit.

I wish it was otherwise and hope I'm wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Teledahn posted:

I thought I heard something somewhere that Prey 2 is going forward in development, but everything we've seen so far has been changed.

Or some other bullshit.

I wish it was otherwise and hope I'm wrong.

The only thing we *know* is that Prey 2 is in development and Bethesda isn't particularly happy with Human Head Studios' output so far. Anything else you hear is just speculation. We don't know if the game was unacceptable to Bethesda on a conceptual or design level, or just unacceptable on a technical level. I will say that all the feedback from the fanbase and press have been really positive and Bethesda knows this, so they probably don't want to deviate from the proposed formula too heavily.

We also have no idea if Human Head is going to continue working on the game or not. No one at Bethesda or Human Head have said anything on the matter. If anything, the silence tells me that Human Head isn't going anywhere, otherwise we'd have heard about a replacement. Bethesda is pretty insistent that the game is being made, so somebody has to be working on it.

Whatever the case is, it's an unfortunate and bad sign for the game and its dev studio. The end product never ends up being very good after this kind of drama.

On topic, Dishonored is on schedule and looking pretty amazing, so we at least have that to be grateful for.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Can't wait to see more footage of this. The descriptions of how that one level was played really made me want to see a video demonstration. Also interested in how fun the possession power is going to be to dick around with.

• Locked thread