Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sigma-X posted:

This video is loving amazing

Yeah, like, goddamn. If the game is as entertaining as the video I want these guys to succeed. Shame is that they are nowhere near close to their goal. I threw some money in, but I'm not seeing it happen unless it gets some serious exposure.

Metacell 2, you guys, go goonrush it or something. It's just $5 for the game and its prequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm crafting a thread about it, it should be up soon. The word should really be out about this game.

ed: Here. Zanmatto, if you can get that dude an SA account, it might help, he desperately needs it.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 28, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Chipped in $25, this game looks awesome.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

LumberingTroll posted:

I also don't see the need to "appeal to emotions" and create some kind of sob story.

No, but you need to "elevator pitch" it up, which might be what Occupation is getting at. The description is way too straightforward and boring. For example, the sentence "Increased size comes with costs" reads like a memo rather than an appeal that's supposed to get the reader excited about the project.

edit: ^^^ Now the Metacell page is a good pitch: Here's a video showing off how fun and creative we are, here's some pretty gameplay footage and a demo, here's a quote endorsing our game, and here's a humanizing explanation of who we are and why we're asking for your money (this is how you appeal to emotions without begging)

emoticon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 28, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

emoticon posted:

No, but you need to "elevator pitch" it up, which might be what Occupation is getting at. The description is way too straightforward and boring. For example, the sentence "Increased size comes with costs" reads like a memo rather than an appeal that's supposed to get the reader excited about the project.

Understood, we will look at making it read more exciting.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The word emotion does not automatically mean "sadness". Kickstarter is not a logic-based system, it's all about dreams and excitement and positive vibes and partying and such. Make people laugh or get excited or engage emotionally and then they donate. No one backs anything because it makes sense.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

mutata posted:

The word emotion does not automatically mean "sadness". Kickstarter is not a logic-based system, it's all about dreams and excitement and positive vibes and partying and such. Make people laugh or get excited or engage emotionally and then they donate. No one backs anything because it makes sense.

There's nothing logical about paying money for a video game that doesn't exist yet. Especially paying more than the game is worth! Why did I give Tim Schafer a hundred bucks?? Because he is the most exciting beardy dude ever.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HondaCivet posted:

There's nothing logical about paying money for a video game that doesn't exist yet. Especially paying more than the game is worth! Why did I give Tim Schafer a hundred bucks?? Because he is the most exciting beardy dude ever.

Why didn't I give Tim Schafer 100 bucks? Because the rich bastard can fund his own games and doesn't need to beg.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Boiled Water posted:

Why didn't I give Tim Schafer 100 bucks? Because the rich bastard can fund his own games and doesn't need to beg.

I'd post those joke photos of Schafer shoving $100 bills up his nose or whatever but I'm on my phone so it'd be kind of difficult, so please just pretend I did.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

I kind of doubt that Tim Schafer has nearly as much money as you think he does.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

Metacell 2

That video is loving incredible and the dev team appear to be awesome, I really hope they get funded. Shmup is a genre I care very little about though, so there is no way I can convince myself to fund a video game I have no intention of ever playing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
That video for Metacell 2 was very cool but after watching it and reading the Kickstarter page I still have no idea what the new game will be. Are they saying that it will be completely different from Metacell gameplay-wise? Shoot-em-up-roleplaying-game sounds like it could be really great or really suck and even the creators don't seem to know which it is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Seashell Salesman posted:

That video for Metacell 2 was very cool but after watching it and reading the Kickstarter page I still have no idea what the new game will be. Are they saying that it will be completely different from Metacell gameplay-wise? Shoot-em-up-roleplaying-game sounds like it could be really great or really suck and even the creators don't seem to know which it is.

From the video, it's made pretty clear that they're refining the gameplay from the original and adding in RPG elements like a "good story" (yeah, I'm nervous about its quality too). I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt since the writing in the pitch video was excellent, but I'm still worried.

Also, just to reiterate, I made a thread for this game. Really hope this KS can turn it around to get funded.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's a shame Class of Heroes 2's pitch is terrible and everything you're not supposed to do on Kickstarter (do they seriously want $500,000 to improve controls???). I liked the original game. It was the Might & Magic of handheld JRPGs where everything else was a Wizardry clone.

FTL ends very soon and it looks like one of the most badass space roguelike/RTS/RPG hybrids I've seen. I can't think of any other space game that simulated boarding parties... O.R.B. maybe? Anybody remember that Homeworld ripoff? Banner Saga is one of the coolest looking video games to come out of it.

Anyways, reading all these comments gives me dejavu of when Kickstarter was pretty much exclusive to musicians and artists. I started scouring KS for board games because a lot of good poo poo came out of it (D-Day Dice, Flash Point, and Alien Frontiers to name a few) but Double Fine booted the site to a mainstream audience so all the old arguments are firing up again.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 29, 2012

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Occupation posted:

From the video, it's made pretty clear that they're refining the gameplay from the original and adding in RPG elements like a "good story" (yeah, I'm nervous about its quality too). I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt since the writing in the pitch video was excellent, but I'm still worried.

Also, just to reiterate, I made a thread for this game. Really hope this KS can turn it around to get funded.

It's not made at all clear what the gameplay will be. The only hint is the made up term "SRPG". Do I like SRPGs? I don't know I've never heard of one before (and it would appear neither have the creators of Metacell).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

As I noted in the thread for this, they really need to let this go and then come up with something a little better realized. Just waving your arms and saying you like shmups and RPGs isn't really terribly convincing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's not made at all clear what the gameplay will be. The only hint is the made up term "SRPG". Do I like SRPGs? I don't know I've never heard of one before (and it would appear neither have the creators of Metacell).

Strategy RPG? Like Final Fantasy Tactics and such?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

al-azad posted:

Strategy RPG? Like Final Fantasy Tactics and such?

No they mean S(hoot-em-up)RPG.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Sigma Star Saga is the only one game that can be called a shmup rpg that I know of, so maybe something like that?

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Trying to get a hold of him, he'll probably get an account here.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Nighteyedie posted:

Sigma Star Saga is the only one game that can be called a shmup rpg that I know of, so maybe something like that?

Knights in the Nightmare is another one, sort of.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Urdnot Fire posted:

Knights in the Nightmare is another one, sort of.

If someone made Knights in the Nightmare but with most of the obscure pointless mechanics removed, they would definitely get my money. That game has a really cool core concept covered in too much needless complexity.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

If someone made Knights in the Nightmare but with most of the obscure pointless mechanics removed, they would definitely get my money. That game has a really cool core concept covered in too much needless complexity.

I still enjoy it for the fact that there's no other game like it (which as you said is sort of a good thing, given some of the elements). I'm supporting this Metacell game because it seems like it would provide such a unique experience.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not a game per se, but anyone want to have dinner with Sid Meier, Will Wright, or some other dudes for $300?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

zanmatto posted:

Some close friends of mine actually set up a Kickstarter for a game they are producing, Metacell II. Here is the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/slowkid/metacell-2-beyond-the-gate?ref=search

They knocked their promo video out of the park, but they have had issues with getting people to notice it, sadly.

:stare: Don't really care about the game (yet), but still pledged 25 bucks because of the video.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

Not a game per se, but anyone want to have dinner with Sid Meier, Will Wright, or some other dudes for $300?

All 5 of John Romero's dinners have sold out with another 2 for his double Mexican dinner with Brenda Brathwaite, and 3 people want to dine with Peter Molyneux, but loving 0 buyers for Sid Meier?

I want to believe that these people signed up just to be able to punch Romero and Molyneux in the face.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

KariOhki posted:

So MonkeyPaw Games and Gaijinworks have jumped on the bandwagon and are doing a kickstarter to get a physical deluxe edition of Class of Heroes 2 made.

I find the whole thing kind of not well done. None of the donation tiers have the digital version (which is coming out no matter what) as a gift. The description text starts off talking about how JRPGs aren't coming out anymore blah blah, but then segues into how it's all about getting a physical deluxe swag pack. Plus the giant wall of text with no good description of what's in this swag pack, only one screenshot of the game, and it seems to not be a game people were clamoring to get localized in the first place (apparently the first game that Atlus brought over wasn't too good)

It just seems to miss the point somehow.

It is a wonderful example of "doing it wrong". It's a charity drive rather than an actual Kickstarter. If you want the game you have to donate and then you can buy it. Or you can pay $59 now for a box of shite and a non-digital copy of the game.

Also, half a million? Really? To localise a pre-existing game? If you need that much case to put together your special edition junk then don't bother with it.

Apparently they've responded to the whole "why aren't you giving a digital download at an acceptable price" with comments on rights issues for the PSP/Vita between physical copies and download copies:

quote:

Slow and steady wins the race (we hope).

I've been answering emails and interviews all day...I finally made it back here.

At the current rate we should fund in less than 20 days, but we have to maintain the level of interest and pledges.

There have been some *great* suggestions about stuff we completely overlooked that the digital support tiers should have like wallpapers (first two levels) and a digital copy of the soundtrack (at the $20 level). We were so focused on the physical part of it that we kind of glossed over the digital. A few fans also suggested we offer a choice of plush one level up from the first plush level as part of the next reward. That was a great idea, too. We're working to revise reward levels now.

Unfortunately, with a portable console game (or any console game at this point) the system is structured so that a digital and physical release packed together is still counted as two copies of the game and hit for 4x the royalties (2 each from the console maker and the original IP holder). I think we can change that over time, but we have to start somewhere and this we where we jumped in.

However, as a kind of half-measure bridge to what you're talking about. Some fans have noted that they won't have trouble selling the Deluxe Pack UMD at launch because the run is extremely limited and won't be at retail, and just getting the DD on PSN with the money. That way you can still get what you want in the end, and you might even come out ahead.

I quite liked the first Class of Heroes (I've got a horrible mental problem that makes super grindy JRPGs appealing) and I've heard that CoH 2 and 3 are both significant improvements on the original. Of course, these guys want to dick around with the game mechanics in unspecified ways if you pay them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Occupation posted:

4) Companies who don't opt in will be bitched out for not opting in.

Stoic is already being criticized on its page for not "Kicking it Forward". I see that trend continuing, and it'll obfuscate the point of what Kickstarter is meant to accomplish. Personally, I feel like Stoic has a great pitch video and an awesome reward system in place, and they shouldn't be detracted for, essentially, not buying into a charity system.

I've been following Kickstarter for a little over a year now, and been a backer a number of different times, for many different projects. I don't want it turned into a charity where people feel bad for doing what they site is meant to facilitate doing, and doing it well.
Tough tits, dude. They already have this thing, it's called "conscious capitalism", and nobody's dropping their monocle over the possibility of rinkydink food co-ops putting Wal-Mart (which in this analogy are... publishers, I guess) or even run-of-the-mill grocery stores out of business. There's plenty of money out there for Objectivist Game Developers (whatever they're doing on Kickstarter), there's plenty of money out there for hardcore Statists who are all about sharing. If holdouts are failing, maybe they ought to bend to the whims of the market and add the sign value of "doing good deeds" to their pledge. But they won't, because it won't be an issue.

I mean yeah, Brian Fargo has taken the success of W2 to let his freak flag fly and just run his mouth about all sorts of questionable stuff, but... We'll see if this is even a thing in the next six months.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 29, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

:stare: Don't really care about the game (yet), but still pledged 25 bucks because of the video.

How can these guys have so few backers? Even as someone who hasn't played the earlier games, Metacell seems completely awesome and the vid is great. Did someone forget to advertise?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

evilmiera posted:

How can these guys have so few backers? Even as someone who hasn't played the earlier games, Metacell seems completely awesome and the vid is great. Did someone forget to advertise?

I suspect 69K is a little high. It looks like a feasible project but for that goal they need more buzz for sure

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They should probably shop their game around, get in contact with RPS or some other major gaming blogs.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

evilmiera posted:

As was pointed out before, the video is cool and all but they didn't give us a real description of the game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

As was pointed out before, the video is cool and all but they didn't give us a real description of the game.

I don't know, seems pretty self-explanatory after the portion showing Metacell 1.

Anyway, another game to throw on to the kickstarter pile:
Valdis Story, a pretty sidescrolling action-RPG that looks rather anime.

I don't think I can spend any more money on games I won't get to play for a year :cry:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

I don't know, seems pretty self-explanatory after the portion showing Metacell 1.

I don't think I can spend any more money on games I won't get to play for a year :cry:

They specifically say in the video that the new game will be different.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Count Uvula posted:

Hey, I'm digging this art style, the idea isn't bad, and they were the guys who made Legend of Fae which I remember being well received. This has all signs of being a good project. Their goal is just $8000, and $10 gets you the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Count Uvula posted:

Despite the IRL catgirl this does look pretty decent and Legend of Fae was a good game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, I'm digging this art style, the idea isn't bad, and they were the guys who made Legend of Fae which I remember being well received. This has all signs of being a good project. Their goal is just $8000, and $10 gets you the game.

Wow, I might just give them money simply because they have a reasonable goal. This just makes $69,000 for that Metacell game even more retarded.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wendell posted:

Wow, I might just give them money simply because they have a reasonable goal. This just makes $69,000 for that Metacell game even more retarded.

I dunno why people keep on saying this as a valid complaint when Auditorium 2 asked for 60k and Banner Saga asked for 100k.

I mean, for just 5 bucks on the Metacell 2 KS you get copies of both it and Metacell 1; that's a pretty good deal imo.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

Does it? Metacell was a bejeweled-type thing, they seem to want to make a hybrid Shooter/RPG now. But there are no details.

Good video, but not enough content to attract money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Occupation posted:

I dunno why people keep on saying this as a valid complaint when Auditorium 2 asked for 60k and Banner Saga asked for 100k.

I mean, for just 5 bucks on the Metacell 2 KS you get copies of both it and Metacell 1; that's a pretty good deal imo.

It's a valid complaint because either they're making a puzzle game the likes of which there are countless free versions of on Flash game sites, and in that case why do they need so much money, or they're making something else entirely but they don't indicate what exactly it will be so in that case why do they expect to get so much money?