Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I usually don't even play the video, just scroll through the page

Likewise. I think there's maybe been one or two that I've ever watched the video for, and that was because the text of the page made me interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I usually scroll through the pictures. If they interest me, then I might watch the video.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I usually don't even play the video, just scroll through the page

Yup. This is me. Especially for trad games stuff (which are basically the only stuff I've actually backed). I skim the description and the backer levels and then usually close the tab apathetically.

I don't really actively look for stuff to KS either. I get most of my info from places like this thread.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah I think there are basically two kinds of backers, those who go for the vid first and those who go for the text first, and ideally they should reinforce each other to make the backer feel good about the success of the project (& what they get out of backing it)

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Cyan's crowdfunded new game Obduction is now out on Steam, GOG and Humble Store for PC (Windows OS).

Oculus VR version has been delayed. And the Mac OS X build is available only for backers in an early access kind of deal, because they don't consider it stable enough yet.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction/posts/1663198

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of Adult Swim Games and Kickstarted games, they just announced they've picked up the new Toejam and Earl, which now has a Steam store page for the wishlisting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMURYkJO1s

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

Cyan's crowdfunded new game Obduction is now out on Steam, GOG and Humble Store for PC (Windows OS).

Oculus VR version has been delayed. And the Mac OS X build is available only for backers in an early access kind of deal, because they don't consider it stable enough yet.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction/posts/1663198

Backers, you should have your keys this morning.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Toejam & Earl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMURYkJO1s

Lookin good. Looks like Adult Swim Games is now publishing it too.

Did all the buzz around gaming Kickstarters die?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Harlock posted:

Did all the buzz around gaming Kickstarters die?

There's just not been one from a well known company in an underserved niche for a while. I'm pretty sure that if the right project came along it could still do Bloodstained-esque numbers.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Still waiting on an Arcanum kickstarter.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of, what happened to John Romero's game? Wasn't the kickstarter supposed to have relaunched by now?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

antidote posted:

Still waiting on an Arcanum kickstarter.

If you need your fix on steampunk RPG, there's an NWN2 PW run by non-dipshits that is a crazy TC that adds guns and a whole Elder Scrolls skill system, and it's launching this weekend. You'd just have to, you know, roleplay. They have a pretty heavily scripted tutorial which is pretty drat neat. No magic, though.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mordja posted:

Speaking of, what happened to John Romero's game? Wasn't the kickstarter supposed to have relaunched by now?

He's probably waiting for Chris Roberts to crash and burn so that the failure of Daikatana get slingshotted into the “mild miscalculation” bracket and people will find him hugely trustworthy in comparison.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
There is apparently a KS coming "soon" for Winter Voices, but it's been coming since December 2013, so the chances of that combined with the pretty sporadic releases of episodes for that game (not quite KRZ bad but still not great) probably means it will just flop.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

First foray into Obduction report: I've got some things half-done, others I don't have the info for, some I THINK I need to do (or think I just get an achievement for doing), a geometric number system to figure out (as someone who loved D'ni numbers this gets a non-sarcastic "yaaaaaaaaaaaay"), some clues that make no sense, navigating the areas is itself a puzzle I can't quite turn my brain off for... This is definitely a Myst-like of good caliber.

It's Riven-esque, in that I haven't found many "this is a puzzle" spots. The puzzles are instead getting around the place, figuring out what links up where, and trying to keep everything straight at the same time. The only downside I have so far is some "oh, I left X over on the complete opposite side of the map, and to open a shortcut back I need it on THIS side" but that's just the nature of the beast and exploration games. Movement feels a BIT more sluggish than I'd like in that respect.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mordja posted:

I think he's got a big problem since he was likely banking on Doom 4 being a high profile disappointment which would allow him to swoop in with the promise of a real old school shooter. Instead Doom was a smash hit and Bethesda has an increasing reputation of making shooters with old school sensibilities but modern production values which robs Blackroom of a critical niche and definitely leaves it in the dust in terms of pure razzle-dazzle.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

monster on a stick posted:

There is apparently a KS coming "soon" for Winter Voices, but it's been coming since December 2013, so the chances of that combined with the pretty sporadic releases of episodes for that game (not quite KRZ bad but still not great) probably means it will just flop.

The very last page of that thread fills you in on the why they've been waiting, though:

quote:

Given the current problem with Adobe AIR and our global dissatisfaction with this technology, we're investigating the opportunity of using another engine for the Season 2. This shouldn't affect the content of the Season 2 or the timing we planned. (early 2017 for the kickstarter)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man the combat in Winter Voices was dogshit. I actually ran a tanky build recommended by the dev and I still ran into an unwinnable fight in the penultimate episode.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a new KS that I can't quite wrap my head around: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1732149603/astro-boy-edge-of-time

Playism is pitching an Astro Boy game with designs by lots of high-profile Japanese designers and music by Giorgio Moroder... and it's a generic f2p CCG with a boring "dark" artstyle that has none of Tezuka's charm. I know their heart's in the right place but of all the directions they could have gone, with this universe and all the talent they've amassed, this is what they came up with?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 25, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

Man the combat in Winter Voices was dogshit. I actually ran a tanky build recommended by the dev and I still ran into an unwinnable fight in the penultimate episode.

I really like the atmosphere and desolation/loneliness in the world for that game. But the combat... :argh:

My first playthrough barely went anywhere before I quit from frustration. Several months later I made a second attempt and I think I actually got a pretty decent way in before rage quitting again.

If they completely rework the combat I'll look at the next one but a game of "kite all the monsters, forever" gets seriously repetitive even when it's not tossing you into 30 minute fights that you have to repeat if you muck up.

Nice music & art design though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Playism is pitching an Astro Boy game with designs by lots of high-profile Japanese designers and music by Giorgio Moroder... and it's a generic f2p CCG with a boring "dark" artstyle that has none of Tezuka's charm. I know their heart's in the right place but of all the directions they could have gone, with this universe and all the talent they've amassed, this is what they came up with?

I can't imagine going into a kickstarter for a CCG. The whole model is so exploitative, even if decades of games like it have gotten folks to generally accept the notion. But it's the kind of model I'd expect from F2P vultures, not some scrappy startup looming for a hand up.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Does make me wish more people made fake CCGs ie you buy the boosters with fake money you get through playing and you don't buy fake money with real money or anything of the sort. Like the handheld versions of YGO and Pokemon Card Game and such.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Most digital ccgs these days aren't that bad. They usually have a F2p model so that if you want to just play you can slowly amass cards.

The real reason I wouldn't Kickstart one is because between MTGO, Hearthstone and PTCGO they control like the entire market and you'll probably end up Kickstarting a multi-player game that no one plays.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Does make me wish more people made fake CCGs ie you buy the boosters with fake money you get through playing and you don't buy fake money with real money or anything of the sort. Like the handheld versions of YGO and Pokemon Card Game and such.

There's Card City Nights

Wezlar posted:

Most digital ccgs these days aren't that bad. They usually have a F2p model so that if you want to just play you can slowly amass cards.

The real reason I wouldn't Kickstart one is because between MTGO, Hearthstone and PTCGO they control like the entire market and you'll probably end up Kickstarting a multi-player game that no one plays.

U can technically do this with hearthstone but....the game requires money

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yea man, I wish the good concept of them was more popular, like Card City Nights for iOS as mentioned above me or Pokemon as you say (I e never played it though) or my absolute favorite: Capcom vs SNK Cardfighters Clash for NeoGeo Pocket Color :swoon: but it makes sense they'd be perfect for the p2w/freemium market

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I love fake CCGs but kind of wish they took a step back from the core game and looked at the meta behind it? Put more emphasis behind the fake world and characters, going to tournaments, and meeting all the colorful scumbags you normally do in the CCG scene.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DancingShade posted:

I really like the atmosphere and desolation/loneliness in the world for that game. But the combat... :argh:

My first playthrough barely went anywhere before I quit from frustration. Several months later I made a second attempt and I think I actually got a pretty decent way in before rage quitting again.

If they completely rework the combat I'll look at the next one but a game of "kite all the monsters, forever" gets seriously repetitive even when it's not tossing you into 30 minute fights that you have to repeat if you muck up.

Nice music & art design though.
One of the major problems too was that character-building was a lot more convoluted than it needed to be and made it way too easy to screw yourself over.

I did have fun playing it for a while, and as you said it was mainly the atmosphere that got me through. (Though I did have some fun with the fights here and there.) The writing tended to be either okay or just pretentious though.

It really had a lot of neat ideas that would have been served with a more experienced team or even a team that just willing to make an adventure game instead of an RPG.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pathologic's been pushed back to Q3 2017. Not really a surprise, to be honest. They say it's in part because the scope's expanded further than they originally planned.

They're going to polish up a side-story mini game they made for Gamescom and release it to alpha backers in the meantime.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Card City Nights did it, though I'm not sure how much I liked it. I just wish there were more such games because they can be a lot of fun. I'd play Gwent but I don't know if I've got the energy to play the Witcher 3 on the side. Evoland 2 had a fun little CCG sorta but only as a side thing, it wouldn't be able to carry a whole game by itself.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MikeJF posted:

Pathologic's been pushed back to Q3 2017. Not really a surprise, to be honest. They say it's in part because the scope's expanded further than they originally planned.

They're going to polish up a side-story mini game they made for Gamescom and release it to alpha backers in the meantime.

Yeah, it's been looking since the start of this year like they weren't going to get it out before Christmas. They just haven't had that much to show.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wezlar posted:

Yeah, I think that's the biggest flaw with the pitch - they're heavily pushing the story elements but who's going to want to back an open-ended project when there's a very real risk it'll never go anywhere because the game isn't bringing in any money?

I think they were counting on the Tezuka IP for cut-through but it won't work because they're not using modern redesigns instead of the traditional designs/art (at the behest of the Tezuka estate, apparently, so I guess they had no choice).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

al-azad posted:

I love fake CCGs but kind of wish they took a step back from the core game and looked at the meta behind it? Put more emphasis behind the fake world and characters, going to tournaments, and meeting all the colorful scumbags you normally do in the CCG scene.

So you want Phoenix Wright but with a dumb card game instead of court?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actually like the idea. Sort of like Pro Wrestling carreer mode, only with CCGs instead of wrestling. You customize a character and give it quirks and a gimmick, and half the game is pushing your brand to get fame fans and money. If you're popular enough you can even get a custom card set based on your character.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, I've wondered why there isn't a JRPG/Earthbound inspired game about creating some wrestler/super hero and making a media career out of that personality while still doing your job of fighting evil in and out of the ring.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Crabtree posted:

Honestly, I've wondered why there isn't a JRPG/Earthbound inspired game about creating some wrestler/super hero and making a media career out of that personality while still doing your job of fighting evil in and out of the ring.

Clearly you need to start a Kickstarter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crabtree posted:

LISA at least has the wrestling sidequest.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's a new KS that I can't quite wrap my head around: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1732149603/astro-boy-edge-of-time

Wow, that's a bunch of cool designers and artists that I'd love to see working together on pretty much ANYTHING else. I'm not even mad about dark Astroboy, since it has worked before (and if it sounds vaguely interesting to anyone, just read Pluto by Naoki Urasawa), but I'm not sure the world needs yet another f2p CCG.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fuzz posted:

So you want Phoenix Wright but with a dumb card game instead of court?

Pretty much. Real life card games aren't complete without taunting your opponent, rubbing shoulders with greasy neck beards, and getting ripped off in bad trades. And you can't play the game fresh, you have to spend a ton of time and money building to that point then still get crushed by someone who spent thousands more dollars than you. And test the player's morality as well. Some kid left his binder unattended, do you slip away a card or two? Someone at your local store is offloading some rare cards and the owner is lowballing them, do you damage your relationship with the owner by making a personal offer? You could end this encounter right now or spend 30 minutes slowly milling this guy's deck to troll them, what do you do?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize the YGO anime was based on true CCG scene interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

People get stabbed at YGO tournaments, that poo poo is serious.