Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Caerus posted:

Republique did really well yesterday:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan/

Sadly, it most likely still won't make it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Caerus posted:

Still is. Their backers so far today are double what they were 2 days ago, and they still have half the day to go.

I still would be surprised if this one makes its goal.. it's got a lot of ground to make up.. but it'll be interesting to see if they can pull it together in time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yodzilla posted:

Fake. Phone. Call.

It's tradition.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's tradition.

"Oh, hi, didn't see you there."

macnbc posted:

it'll be interesting to see if they can pull it together in time.

No chance. It doesn't have all those Tacticlol Shooter spammers posting on every other kickstarter's comment section nor any more media coverage. It's over.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 4, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Saoshyant posted:

"Oh, hi, didn't see you there."

At least it's better than.

"Hello, I've been watching you. I've always been watching you."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Al! posted:

When did this ever happen?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Hm, I live in Arkansas (not exactly a bastion of creativity) and this small game popped up on the local projects list. Looks kinda like that Americana Dawn game where they're asking for a few thousand dollars for asset creation. The music is really nice - glad they intend to use the money they (might) get for sprite art, 'cause it looks placeholder right now.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

If I did a Kickstarter video I'd start with an "Oh hi, didn't see you there!" and then a fake phone call and then a fake package and/or pizza delivery during the fake phone call. Then I'd have a fake crazy uncle show up unexpectedly! I'd make like a jillion bucks. :smug:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

HondaCivet posted:

If I did a Kickstarter video I'd start with an "Oh hi, didn't see you there!" and then a fake phone call and then a fake package and/or pizza delivery during the fake phone call. Then I'd have a fake crazy uncle show up unexpectedly! I'd make like a jillion bucks. :smug:

Then put on Ren Faire armor and offer the camera a sword.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

It's like Kickstarter bingo.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

HondaCivet posted:

I'm guessing there's something in the terms and conditions that forbids you from submitting an annotated walkthrough of the demo with a gameplay trailer spliced in either at the start or after the end.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Al! posted:

At least it's better than.

Nah, that would actually be entertaining.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Battle Chess 1988 - Whoo! Animated violence!

Battle Chess 2012 - How about a YouTube video?

And I like fake phone calls :colbert:

e. Oh right, and I just paid $51 for Jane Jensen because she's the best video game writer ever and you should play Gabriel Knight.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg

Kennel fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 5, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HondaCivet posted:

Make sure to rant about how much publishers suck, have horrible camera work, faux gravitas in the importance of your project, and make at least one pun based on your project name.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Star Guarded posted:

It's like Kickstarter bingo.
Best idea ever. Though I also think we should CROWDSOURCE an actually funny Kickstarter video and then sell it to people who want to produce successful Kickstarters.

Rod Swigart's Portal just posted an update with what must, surely, be the best possible Kickstarter-joke-title (the secondary title, not the actual update title):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subgames/rob-swigarts-portal-1986-reborn/posts/219704?ref=activity

(only a good joke if you have played System Shock 2, but, well, clearly everyone here has)

(oh incidentally SHODAN VOICE ACTOR)

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Quarex posted:

Best idea ever. Though I also think we should CROWDSOURCE an actually funny Kickstarter video and then sell it to people who want to produce successful Kickstarters.

Rod Swigart's Portal just posted an update with what must, surely, be the best possible Kickstarter-joke-title (the secondary title, not the actual update title):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subgames/rob-swigarts-portal-1986-reborn/posts/219704?ref=activity

(only a good joke if you have played System Shock 2, but, well, clearly everyone here has)

(oh incidentally SHODAN VOICE ACTOR)

Argh, this project is killing me. I'll admit I never played the first Portal, but this project just sounds so goddamned amazing I had to throw in for it.

And it's currently trending towards 4%. :smith:

I guess that's to be expected for a game that's asking too much for a relatively unknown name with no gameplay videos or anything.

Although I really wish devs would stop putting up these pie-in-the-sky goals without putting nearly enough thought into the pitch. I think they're going to find out that a failed kickstarter is going to be worse for a project than no kickstarter at all, because the second publishers/investors find out that you've already put your idea out to the public and they didn't respond, it's going to really put you at a disadvantage when it comes to negotiating.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I love the concept that they're going for, but the pitch itself is kinda lacking and the abundance of physical goods in the rewards tiers tells me they didn't really think this one through clearly.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Caerus posted:

This is going to pull a Takedown and have 85% of the funds come in during the last week (and obviously from the creators).

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Quodio Stotes posted:

The game looks interesting (In that it looks like a better minecraft without the world's laziest snake-oil salesman at the helm) but I'm wary of pledging given that it is being run by two guys who have no experience in developing a game. What are the general thoughts on yogventures?

It's almost a complete shot in the dark. The only thing that the involvement of the Yogs guys guarantees is that it's got a chunk of e-fame backing it from the start, and marketing in the form of Youtube following, which is certainly better than nothing.

However, it worries me greatly that the Yogs guys seem to be inserting themselves as designers with this really grand, aimless, untenable vision for the end result. Also, with them using words like "chunks" and "biomes" throughout all their videos, it's really hard not to assume the project is fueled largely by the attitude that they feel like they could "make Minecraft better themselves," which is a sort of a dubious foundation for a massive undertaking like game development. "I can do it better than you!" as the entire design philosophy for a game is not a great sign, especially since Minecraft -- even with all its failings -- was first-to-market by a long shot. They claim that they're not aiming for a Minecraft clone, but given their history and the look/feel of the game, the burden is really on them to prove that it's any different. With the videos they've shown so far it could really go either way.

The number one thing that will kill it is the Yogs guys playing at being designers without any concept of realistic scope. If they leave it to people with some experience making games, and just play support/marketing roles, it might be a pretty neat little product someday -- if everyone doesn't lose interest before then. That's the other looming insecurity about KickStarters -- what happens after? A year later, two years later, when the product is slowly becoming vaporware...

speng31b fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 5, 2012

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I wish the best for Republique.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 5, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Matlock posted:

Instead of being a Dream Game or an indie game that's gotten ignored by publishers, it feels like a shameless and cynical grab for preorders on something that's already destined for a publishing contract.

If I recall correctly, someone said that the entire kickstart for Republique is just to prove that there is enough interest to venture capital guys so they can beg *them* for money next.

If I'm remembering that right, gently caress those guys and gently caress Republique.

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

macnbc posted:

I love the concept that they're going for, but the pitch itself is kinda lacking and the abundance of physical goods in the rewards tiers tells me they didn't really think this one through clearly.

I agree this looks like an interesting project though. If it fails (most likely) I hope they take what they learned and try again especially if they could get some kind of mock game play video to show. With a bit more momentum the project would at least have a fighting chance to meet its goal.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Legends of Eisenwald seems to have lost a little bit of their funding. :ohdear:
I hope it's not a trend and that they will hit their goal. I'll probably pledge a little their way.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If I recall correctly, someone said that the entire kickstart for Republique is just to prove that there is enough interest to venture capital guys so they can beg *them* for money next.

If I'm remembering that right, gently caress those guys and gently caress Republique.

Kinda sorta. If you look at their Kickstarter page, they have a goal of $500k, but they explain that the game itself is likely to need well over $1 million to complete because of motion capture work, professional voice acting, etc.

So the Kickstarter is basically the seed money to get the ball rolling on the project and also to demonstrate market potential to other investors/publishers.

I don't see a problem with that, because if they put up a goal of $2 million or whatever the final budget is going to be there'd be no chance in hell for ANY original IP without a major name behind it (like Ron Gilbert) to succeed on Kickstarter. You'd need additional support.

The way I see it, if you donate $10-15 you're still going to get the finished product, regardless of whether it was 100% Kickstarter money or 50% Kickstarter and 50% investor money that went into it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

macnbc posted:

The way I see it, if you donate $10-15 you're still going to get the finished product, regardless of whether it was 100% Kickstarter money or 50% Kickstarter and 50% investor money that went into it.

That's totally true, but at the same time, the end result is like those scammy "even if it fails I'll keep all your money" things, because even if they don't get enough money to make the game, they're still keeping your KS payment.

Plus it just seems jerky to me.

In much more important news:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald

Eisenwald is 70% funded with 16 days to go! Will they make it? I hope so!

e: did they raise their goal? I thought it was something tiny like 9k?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

That's totally true, but at the same time, the end result is like those scammy "even if it fails I'll keep all your money" things, because even if they don't get enough money to make the game, they're still keeping your KS payment.

That's a risk with ALL Kickstarters though. There is no legally binding guarantee that Banner Saga or Wasteland 2 will ever see the light of day either. They might find out later in development they underestimated what they'll need, or they made some poor design decisions early on and the whole thing needs to be scrapped.

If that happens, you're likely not getting your money back then either.

Kickstarter by definition is a gamble. You're gambling not just that the project will succeed, but that you'll get what you paid for.

Honestly it's way more scammy to me to see Kickstarters like Tempus Chronicle which say that they're going to make the game anyway even if the Kickstarter fails. If a group has the capability to complete the project without help anyway, why are they asking for it? I think Kickstarter should be a make-or-break last resort for funding when all other options are exhausted.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I thought the point of Kickstarter was to give a boost to funding for a project, not fund it entirely.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
There's never a guarantee with Kickstarter, but I'd rather give my money to people who have thought about the budget and are confident they can get a game out. I refuse to give money to anyone who is just using Kickstarter as some kind of "get paid for marketing exposure" scheme and crossing their fingers that someone is willing to give them the big bucks after their name gets out.

The basic idea of Kickstarter is that somebody either gets enough to make their product or they get nothing at all, and while there's obviously no way to enforce that, I see no reason why we should support people who flagrantly violate it.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

In much more important news:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald

Eisenwald is 70% funded with 16 days to go! Will they make it? I hope so!

e: did they raise their goal? I thought it was something tiny like 9k?

Nope, it's always been 50k.

e: Which is a pretty small amount compared to what other games are asking for, so relatively speaking it is tiny.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So, I've been watching the Zombicide kickstarter - haven't actually pledged anything - and there's something that's bugging me more than a little.

All these people are pledging $100 or more, and they keep making more and more stretch goals, but... What if the game comes out, and it just totally blows? Like, it's incredibly unfun, slow, unbalanced, and no one actually wants to play it? I've bought a number of boardgames that sounded awesome in concept but turned out to be real turds.

I dunno. I pledged for Wasteland, Banner Saga, and Shadowrun, but now it's bugging me about those games too. I'm hesitant about pledging anything else because of this.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Thats kinda the way boardgames go, Ive got near 200 boardgames, many of them cost $80 - $100 new. I pledged $150, if for nothing else, the miniatures are nice, decent material and good sculpts, for $150 Im getting something like 130 miniatures, that alone is a pretty good deal. The fact that it's a coop zombie survival boardgame just makes it better!

Fresh Cool Fails
Apr 22, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, I've been watching the Zombicide kickstarter - haven't actually pledged anything - and there's something that's bugging me more than a little.

How does this have almost 600k?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Fresh Cool Fails posted:

How does this have almost 600k?

Boardgame players are fanatical. Here is my example.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

LumberingTroll posted:

Thats kinda the way boardgames go, Ive got near 200 boardgames, many of them cost $80 - $100 new. I pledged $150, if for nothing else, the miniatures are nice, decent material and good sculpts, for $150 Im getting something like 130 miniatures, that alone is a pretty good deal. The fact that it's a coop zombie survival boardgame just makes it better!
But you can have all the cool components in the world - if the game mechanics are no fun, what's the point? I've been burned by that a number of times - in particular, actually another zombie board game: Zombies!!!. It's got a million expansions, and each one only serves to extend an already tedious and confusing game.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But you can have all the cool components in the world - if the game mechanics are no fun, what's the point? I've been burned by that a number of times - in particular, actually another zombie board game: Zombies!!!. It's got a million expansions, and each one only serves to extend an already tedious and confusing game.

How is this different from any of the video game kickstarters? There's no guarantee that the end product will be fun or balanced there either.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
When we give money to a kickstarter, we are not buying a game - we are donating for an idea we think is credible and cool. Every idea is potentially a flop or a scam. So donate wisely unless you are rich and enjoy throwing money around. (can I have some?)

And hey, when a project pans out well, you can feel drat good about placing you left trust and judgement in a worthy creative cause.

As a side note, definitely look into comics and animation kickstarters - there are some really exciting short films and comic books people are using this to get published and funded. There was even one that Neil Gaiman got involved in that is an animated fan adaption of one of his stories.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 5, 2012

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...
The problem is that there is competition between Kickstarter projects for money, and in order to get funding, Kickstarters has to promise certain "rewards" (like, say, a copy of the game). However, once every Kickstarter offer 'rewards', those donating to Kickstarter gets spoiled and view Kickstarter as a preorder system as opposed to a donation system.

But no Kickstarter is going to try to reverse this trend by offering no rewards whatsoever for the project, because doing so will reduce the amount of donations they'll receive.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Personally I think that kickstarters tend to draw in their own niche fanbases who would not be donating were it not that the project were something that appealed to them personally.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
We'll know a year down the line. Some projects will inevitably fail or not be good enough, and if people get really angry and start posting about being ripped off then it'll be clear they viewed it more as a preorder than a donation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mill Village posted:

I thought the point of Kickstarter was to give a boost to funding for a project, not fund it entirely.

Hence the name, "Kickstarter". You know, to kickstart a project? That's exactly what Republique is asking help for. Obviously there's a wide range of other uses for KS but an actual kickstarter is a pretty valid use of Kickstarter, I'd say.