Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shalinor posted:

At last, someone has created a helpful rating system for Kickstarter risk. Though I feel like "is it an MMO" should be a whole other risk factor on its own.

"Is it an MMO (or promise persistent multiplayer with larger numbers of players than most games)?"

"4: Star Citizen"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BattleMaster posted:

"Is it an MMO (or promise persistent multiplayer with larger numbers of players than most games)?"

"4: Star Citizen"

From the comments:

quote:

Star Citizen falls straight into your "Certain Doom" category.

Let`s see how this goes...

You don't say :v:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
And Elite Dangerous scores a 1, so I guess it's pretty accurate.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think I missed all the hooplah over Star Citizen. Why is it the butt of jokes now?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

BattleMaster posted:

That's a really good addition to that chart.

GrandpaPants posted:

I think I missed all the hooplah over Star Citizen. Why is it the butt of jokes now?
Various reasons...
Imaginary spaceships that people have paid thousands of dollars for.
Post-Kickstarter custom private crowdsourcing mechanism, which is shady as gently caress and leads to...
Ever-expanding stretch goals, which leads to...
Lots and lots of promises, with little to show for it.

At least one team has done something sort of like this idea, yet has made a lot of progress with a lot less funding.

Going by that chart (with BattleMaster's suggested addition):
A pseudo MMO, with new tech, a new team of people, and these people haven't worked on this type of project before: Nope nope nope nope.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GrandpaPants posted:

There are people, goons included, who have literally spent thousands of dollars for virtual spaceships for a game that doesn't even exist yet.
I'm not remotely exaggerating, tons of people spent hundreds and several have spent literal thousands of dollars. On virtual spaceships. For a game that isn't even loving done being made.

Its like the old "I've got a bridge to sell you" times ten thousand. And people bought it hook, line, and sinker. :psyboom:

Its also promising everything imaginable that any gamer has ever wanted from any space game ever, so its never going to be finished.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not remotely exaggerating, tons of people spent hundreds and several have spent literal thousands of dollars. On virtual spaceships. For a game that isn't even loving done being made.
As someone who has thrown money hand over fist back during the "lifetime insurance" days, I've spent literal thousands of dollars on Star Citizen.

I don't regret it; it's going to be amazing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Its also promising everything imaginable that any gamer has ever wanted from any space game ever, so its never going to be finished.

It's already made so much money at this point that it doesn't really have to be finished. People are clearly willing to pay ridiculous sums of money for promises alone, why spoil it with an actual product?

I get that Kickstarter is built on paying money for the promise of something interesting, but why would you ever pay more than the cost of a pre-order for something like Star Citizen, which clearly doesn't need the help?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's already made so much money at this point that it doesn't really have to be finished. People are clearly willing to pay ridiculous sums of money for promises alone, why spoil it with an actual product?

I get that Kickstarter is built on paying money for the promise of something interesting, but why would you ever pay more than the cost of a pre-order for something like Star Citizen, which clearly doesn't need the help?

I assume because a. you want the fancy exclusive giant ships and b. giving the developer more money means they should be able to make a better product, regardless of how much money they already had

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mechaet posted:

As someone who has thrown money hand over fist back during the "lifetime insurance" days, I've spent literal thousands of dollars on Star Citizen.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

mechaet posted:

I really hope that you are joking instead of being the literal personification of the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

JossiRossi posted:

I really hope that you are joking instead of being the literal personification of the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

There's not a lot that can fail for $40 million, other than the dreams and hopes of a thousand nerds. At this point it's merely whether the fake nongoods appreciate in price or fall.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

That's not what that term means. The phrase you're looking for is 'rube'.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
They both apply :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

poemdexter posted:

Because potato salad got way more press and people pitched money because it was funny.

It's a little annoying that Kickstarter allowed them to bend the rules just because it became a meme.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Here is a secret: Kickstarter will bend any rule if it means they will make money.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Darkwood, the one and only project I've backed on Indiegogo to date, has sent out Steam keys to backers by email and goes on early access tomorrow. They got a bunch of undelivered emails returned too so if you remember backing it and didn't get a key today, go check the Indiegogo page for help

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hav posted:

There's not a lot that can fail for $40 million, other than the dreams and hopes of a thousand nerds. At this point it's merely whether the fake nongoods appreciate in price or fall.

When it comes to software and videogames there's a hell of a lot that can fail for $40 million. :haw:

JossiRossi posted:

Here is a secret: Kickstarter will bend any rule if it means they will make money.

This is overwhelmingly the case. Kickstarter is just a bunch of stupid hipsters who lucked into tons of cash, and they're gonna keep the gravy train rolling until somebody sues them otherwise.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

mechaet posted:

Pls don't troll.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

mechaet posted:

That's really cool. On an unrelated note, for most of last year I didn't have enough money to eat

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sinking belle posted:

That's really cool. On an unrelated note, for most of last year I didn't have enough money to eat

You should kickstart something. Apparently I'll throw money at a bunch of half-arsed ideas. Or dial down from your steak and lobster diet.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

sinking belle posted:

You should have made potato salad, duh. :rolleyes:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Peas and Rice posted:

You should have made potato salad, duh. :rolleyes:
If the resolution of the potato salad ends up being "I made potato salad for the poor population of new york by way of X homeless shelter, who now has potato salad for a year" - that would be loving awesome.

Stretch Goal: 100,000 - "Make enough potato salad to share"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

JossiRossi posted:

The fresh infusion of free advertising in cases like this is a nice bonus too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Evil_Greven posted:

That's a really good addition to that chart.

Various reasons...
Imaginary spaceships that people have paid thousands of dollars for.
Post-Kickstarter custom private crowdsourcing mechanism, which is shady as gently caress and leads to...
Ever-expanding stretch goals, which leads to...
Lots and lots of promises, with little to show for it.

At least one team has done something sort of like this idea, yet has made a lot of progress with a lot less funding.

Going by that chart (with BattleMaster's suggested addition):
A pseudo MMO, with new tech, a new team of people, and these people haven't worked on this type of project before: Nope nope nope nope.

I probably shouldn't defend anything about Star Citizen (and no, I haven't spent a cent on it) but it had its own private crowdfunding before they created the kickstarter and the private funding had already made more than the kickstarter did over the entire run. There's nothing really inherently shady about private crowdfunding as long as you don't start spending it before you can actually finish something. Bugbear, for example, did a kickstarter for Next Car Game, provided a demo, did everything they should have, and it failed. Then they started their own funding on their own website and got more money through that than they were asking for through kickstarter and development on the game seems to be at least continuing.

Everything else about Star Citizen looks like Certain Doom though.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
West Games has posted an official statement regarding the suspension of their Areal Kickstarter campaign to Areal's Facebook page. After their fiasco of a Kickstarter campaign, my natural inclination, is of course, to donate money to them directly. Thankfully, there's a way to do that through their broken http://areal.west-games.com/ link.

West Games posted:

We are restarting funding directly via our website, so please check it out and support us there: http://areal.west-games.com/

Official Statement:

Our Kickstarter was suspended without any warning. As per Kickstarter's policy, we cannot contact them to find out why. Areal is the spiritual successor to STALKER, in terms of our vision for it and in terms of the team that we have (which includes Alexey Sytyanov, the lead game designer and screenwriter for STALKER). You can find out more about us and our team on our website: http://areal.west-games.com/
From the very beginning, we showed what we have accomplished, and showed the atmosphere for what we want to accomplish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTMtpViPhhc&list=UU7j5-kx3Mk4rtG6q_SfsOYQ).

The fact is that there are a lot of companies that make their livelihood on STALKER, so when we showed up on the scene, they saw us as a threat and did everything that they could to stop us.

People also need to take into account that Ukrainians and Russians are in an information war right now, and as a Ukrainian developer, we were subject to constant hostility from Russian Kickstarter accounts (we even got death threats). There are over 16,000 comments on our Kickstarter, which is unprecedented for the amount of supporters that we have, and a lot of our comments are hate filled. Some sites, in light of this, chose to report based on sources from direct competitors or from the myriad of comments based on lies. Others chose a neutral ground, because of the confusing situation around us, and still others wrote positively about us. All in all, more than a 1,000 news results come up when you type in "Areal Kickstarter" on Google.

After vice news wrote an article about us, people started contributing every minute, but Kickstarter was afraid of the controversy surrounding our project, so they suspended funding. We set our base goal at 50K; even with 2 days left, we raised more than 64 thousand dollars, and our competitors were doing everything that they could to stop that. Kickstarter is a business, and that was their decision. We were not warned, we do not have a say in the matter, we cannot notify our backers, we cannot message our backers, and we can't post updates anymore. That is how Kickstarter chose to act.

We are the creators of STALKER, and we know that we can make Areal even better than that series, because of advances in technology, gameplay mechanics, and story. We need your support to make that happen, so we have opened up a website wherein we will continue to raise funds. We ask all supporters of Areal who read this, to please head over to our site and contribute there. PayPal is used for safe checkout, but you do not need a PayPal account to donate. Thank you for your understanding.

http://areal.west-games.com/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is overwhelmingly the case. Kickstarter is just a bunch of stupid hipsters who lucked into tons of cash, and they're gonna keep the gravy train rolling until somebody sues them otherwise.
OR, maybe they're a startup with a sound business model who make a product that a lot of people apparently find compelling?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I mean if someone told me to go check out this great new thing at facebook.com/areal.game, that totally wouldn't set off any scummy alarms in my head, nope. They're doing a nice full-court press on deleting comments there too.

Edit: Also, can someone who's ran kickstarters speak about the whole 'no contact' thing? I know that KS won't comment to anyone else about the suspension, but will they really not tell the project creator anything either?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mirificus posted:

West Games has posted an official statement regarding the suspension of their Areal Kickstarter campaign to Areal's Facebook page. After their fiasco of a Kickstarter campaign, my natural inclination, is of course, to donate money to them directly. Thankfully, there's a way to do that through their broken http://areal.west-games.com/ link.

This is so goddamn bizarre. It feels like someone trying real goddamn hard to sell you a used car with a blown engine.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

You do realize they were shut down for being incredibly shady, right?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

InShaneee posted:

JOKES

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

InShaneee posted:

Help what is sarcasm

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Maybe if I beat my chest and yell louder people will start to believe me.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

InShaneee posted:

I was actually the one who announced the suspension of Areal in this thread. Quite a deserved suspension I might add.

Now, getting back to scummy gaming Kickstarters. Maksym Pashanin of Confederate Express and Knuckle Club fame is apparently a squatter. Not a cyber-squatter but a literal squatter.

Squatter in Palm Springs also accused of duping online gamers

Airbnb Host: A Guest Is Squatting In My Condo And I Can't Get Him To Leave

Maksym, in response to notice of impending cessation of utilities posted:

Hi Cory, this is Maksym. I have consulted my attorney. As I have said multiple times already, I am LEGALLY occupying the domicile (E104). My nature of work from home is dependent on having electricity, and my income while working averages $1000-$7000 per day, involving over 2000 customers in the U.S. alone. IF THE ELECTRICITY GETS CUT OFF I WILL BE LOSING MONEY EVERY DAY. I am pressing charges for blackmail and damages caused by your negligence and malicious misconduct, including $3800 PID Espresso machine as well as medical bills for my brother's hospital visit after he got sick here drinking unfiltered tap water (Ulcer). Not only what you do is illegal, it is also extremely discriminatory in nature and has caused me and my brother a lot of stress in suffering.

-Maksym

Edit: fixed typos

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 23, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That unfiltered tap water will definitely gently caress you right up. He's got an airtight case.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That unfiltered tap water will definitely gently caress you right up. He's got an airtight case.

Yeah, that poo poo is vile. It has illuminati corpse worms sent by the new world order reptilian bitcoin masters.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

quote:

Rather than letting her quaint condo in Palm Springs sit empty during the summer, Cory Tschogl, a therapist working for blind veterans in San Francisco, used the popular rental site 'Airbnb' to make some cash.

quote:

Tschogl's legal council said it could be a months-long, costly eviction process.

Holy poo poo.

His sudden need to get a pile of cash in a hurry release a new title suddenly makes a lot more sense.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Sounds like he and the game writer dude who's allergic to wifi might get along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Cicero posted:

OR, maybe they're a startup with a sound business model who make a product that a lot of people apparently find compelling?

Nope, [person/group on internet] [did/said] [thing I don't like], therefore hipster

I like that we, as a socitey, made a word so broad in its meaning that it doesn't actually mean anything