Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
"and my income while working averages $1000-$7000 per day,"

uhu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Does anyone who's not trying to sucker people into those super scammy work from home schemes ever really discuss income in terms of per day?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

senrath posted:

Does anyone who's not trying to sucker people into those super scammy work from home schemes ever really discuss income in terms of per day?

Freelancers/contractors often get paid on a per-day basis.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

floofyscorp posted:

Freelancers/contractors often get paid on a per-day basis.

Hourly is more usual, though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

People who get really mad about their Internet connection being down will often use language like that to try to impress how crucial it is to the poor person on the other end of the line.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I had a friend that did Internet tech support and told me all sorts of stories of people getting pissed off.

"Fix my internet! I'm a business!"

"A business? Well then let me set you up with our corporation subscription plan!" (Which was like 10x the price)"

"Uh, hold on there."

"According to our terms, you're not allowed to run a business using residential plans."

"Uh, well, I don't do business here."

"So you're a businessman?"

"Uh, Yeah"

"So is everyone else, sir. Just wait for us to fix things on our end, we'll get to you eventually."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mirificus posted:

Now, getting back to scummy gaming Kickstarters. Maksym Pashanin of Confederate Express and Knuckle Club fame is apparently a squatter. Not a cyber-squatter but a literal squatter.

Squatter in Palm Springs also accused of duping online gamers

Airbnb Host: A Guest Is Squatting In My Condo And I Can't Get Him To Leave

Good thing my new truckload of popcorn was just delivered. :munch:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the last few developments regarding Confederate Express have been... weird. I guess the fact that all the pixel art was contracted out means the money he raised dried up pretty quick.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Dissapointed Owl posted:

"and my income while working averages $1000-$7000 per day,"

uhu

He's not lying, Confederate Express raised 1k - 7k a day :v:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

drat, this Confederate Express stuff just gets more entertaining by the day! What a total scumbag.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Between Confederate Express and the Untold Story of Japanese Game Developers or whatever it was, there has been some real hilarity in games kickstarters recently.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

AnonSpore posted:

Between Confederate Express and the Untold Story of Japanese Game Developers or whatever it was, there has been some real hilarity in games kickstarters recently.

Now I want a kickstarter to create a book ABOUT Untold Story of Japanese Game Developers, Confederate Express, Super Retro Squad, and Rainfall: The Sojourn. Something in the style of Game Over and The Untold History of Video games.

Stretch goals can be to make Star Citizen its own Trilogy.

So I need a pick me up, was any one able to play Hyper Plains Drifter at E3?

BexGu fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 23, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Crowdfunding Gamification Gone Wrong: AReal Story from Real People

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Darksaber posted:

IEdit: Also, can someone who's ran kickstarters speak about the whole 'no contact' thing? I know that KS won't comment to anyone else about the suspension, but will they really not tell the project creator anything either?
They will shut you down without notice, but also typically tell you why / you can send a message to them through their system and they'll respond. It's very likely they told him exactly why he was shut down, but he didn't like the answer, so he's playing it this way. They ARE kind of dicks about how immediately they act, but they kind of have to, since every second they fail to act is another second you're earning money despite <something that goes against their rules>.

EDIT: VV Yeah, that one's... yeah. I have no idea why it hasn't been shut down. I'm kind of expecting them to let it run until the end, THEN kill it. As in, "ok let the joke run but no you don't get that money."

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 23, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shalinor posted:

They ARE kind of dicks about how immediately they act, but they kind of have to, since every second they fail to act is another second you're earning money despite <something that goes against their rules>.

Unless your kickstarter is "funny", apparently.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicero posted:

OR, maybe they're a startup with a sound business model who make a product that a lot of people apparently find compelling?

Scratch-O posted:

Nope, [person/group on internet] [did/said] [thing I don't like], therefore hipster

I like that we, as a socitey, made a word so broad in its meaning that it doesn't actually mean anything

Uh guess you guys never saw the "who we are" page. We made fun of it awhile back:

https://www.kickstarter.com/team?ref=footer

Also they make a website that skims money off some charity projects and some scams. That's a 'product' a lot of people find compelling? We find the individual products compelling, not kickstarter the service. In fact we constantly criticize Kickstarter the service's actions and (lack of) rules. If they didn't exist everybody would just use indiegogo or another of the dozen identical services and websites. Time and again they've proven they'll even ignore what few rules they have if it means they make lots of money. And they've barely done gently caress-all since launching the site, except collect that sweet sweet potato salad cash.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 23, 2014

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Kyrosiris posted:

Unless your kickstarter is "funny", apparently.

Unless your kickstarter is highly profitable and getting mostly positive press.

Kickstarter rather obviously makes their suspension decisions on the basis of a CYA risk analysis to themselves. A major recurring criticism is that they should take protecting backers into account, but presently Kickstarter doesn't stand to benefit financially from such a policy. They have no reason to care.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh guess you guys never saw the "who we are" page. We made fun of it awhile back:

https://www.kickstarter.com/team?ref=footer

Apparently my dad is a hipster now? They look like normal people to me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Zaphod42 posted:

In fact we constantly criticize Kickstarter the service's actions and (lack of) rules. If they didn't exist everybody would just use indiegogo or another of the dozen identical services and websites.

We aren't Kickstarter's customers. The people who post projects are.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Zurai posted:

We aren't Kickstarter's customers. The people who post projects are.
No, because part of the money goes to Kickstarter. It's the same as shopping at a store that doesn't manufacture their own goods; I doubt you'd deny being a Target customer because you bought some Charmin toilet paper there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Apparently my dad is a hipster now? They look like normal people to me.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Dude drinking from a bendy straw for a silly team photo: SOUND THE HIPSTER ALARM WHOOP WHOOP

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Orzo posted:

No, because part of the money goes to Kickstarter. It's the same as shopping at a store that doesn't manufacture their own goods; I doubt you'd deny being a Target customer because you bought some Charmin toilet paper there.

That's like saying that we're the government's customer because every store collects sales tax. We don't pay Kickstarter; Kickstarter acts as an escrow of sorts, holding our money until the project funds and the funding period is over and taking a percentage of the gross as their fee. Their actual customers, the people who they do actual business with, are the project creators. We're no more Kickstarter's customers than we're Google's customers when we use Google's search engine.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 23, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

Dude drinking from a bendy straw for a silly team photo: SOUND THE HIPSTER ALARM WHOOP WHOOP
Yeah, these guys aren't hipsters, they're techies. That is how most of the west coast looks. Especially that flannel.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Hipster is basically just a term like SJW where it literally can apply to anyone you don't like for any reason at all.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Shalinor posted:

Yeah, these guys aren't hipsters, they're techies. That is how most of the west coast looks. Especially that flannel.

If there were a little fatter and had bigger beards they'd be a perfect fit for Philly.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I can only imagine most goons have never left the house when 'wearing a shirt with a pretty normal pattern on it and having facial hair' qualifies as a hipster. OH NO I'M A HIPSTER TOO OH SHIIIIT

In KS-related notes, I picked up Mercenary Kings, which was an older kickstarter, the other day and I really enjoyed it, although it is somewhat of a flawed game. It's got that sort of monster-huntery loop that I enjoy, so really dug it. Kind of wish I had backed it back in the day.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Falcon2001 posted:

I can only imagine most goons have never left the house

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just as a heads up Unrest, the story-driven RPG set in a fantasy world ancient India is out. I played the demo some time ago and I liked it and my buddy on Steam gifted it to me so I'll see how it ends up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Falcon2001 posted:

I can only imagine most goons have never left the house when 'wearing a shirt with a pretty normal pattern on it and having facial hair' qualifies as a hipster. OH NO I'M A HIPSTER TOO OH SHIIIIT
Well, some things can indicate it since hipsters are a subculture built solely around being a particular type of consumer. Clothes not so much unless they're wearing something really obnoxiously obvious like a stovepipe hat or a yarmulke, but the biggest tells are when they start measuring the breadth of your experience in the number of microbrews you've tried, except only the ones they've never heard of count, and can only see the world relative to their favorite episode of Portlandia.

For some reason, Super Retro Squad's story really gets to me. The guy screws his team by buying a house instead of paying them, complains when they don't work for free, and then makes a video crying about how, despite being the Lead Programmer, he still has no idea how to make floor hitboxes work after an entire goddamn year. I feel a little bad for the backers he screwed, but mostly I feel bad for his crew, and even then I feel bad professionally associating them with him like that.

Suspicious Dish posted:

that's a melodica ugh watch more ifc you uncultured neanderthal

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
My favorite part of the Super Retro Squad story was when the leader finally got around to having a discussion with his hired programmer after an entire year of not producing a single line of code.

e: or maybe everything about it is my favorite. waiting for Unity 4.5 to come out before starting any real work and then expecting to magically understand how Unity works without any prior experience was a highlight too

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

Well, some things can indicate it since hipsters are a subculture built solely around being a particular type of consumer. Clothes not so much unless they're wearing something really obnoxiously obvious like a stovepipe hat or a yarmulke, but the biggest tells are when they start measuring the breadth of your experience in the number of microbrews you've tried, except only the ones they've never heard of count, and can only see the world relative to their favorite episode of Portlandia.

Just fyi there is both a melodica AND a silly straw. And either way since their bios don't consist of anything of those things ( and I agree there are real hipsters, I live in Seattle, we certainly have them especially beer snobs), it's pretty silly to call them 'a bunch of hipsters that came upon money'.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I live in what is probably one of the hipster capitols of the world (West Los Angeles) and I still hear way more complaining about hipsters than ever actually see someone who could be described as one. Those are tech guys who don't dress like slobs or wear polos, hipsters! :argh:

More on topic, man I hope Frontiers is able to release. Their ambitions were really big and I love to see someone going for a Daggerfall like game, but with the delays their budget must already be close to breaking. I think tackling even limited multiplayer might be the feature that kills them.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 23, 2014

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Yodzilla posted:

My favorite part of the Super Retro Squad story was when the leader finally got around to having a discussion with his hired programmer after an entire year of not producing a single line of code.

e: or maybe everything about it is my favorite. waiting for Unity 4.5 to come out before starting any real work and then expecting to magically understand how Unity works without any prior experience was a highlight too

My favorite part was when he quoted me in his writeup as an example of the hostile community he was facing, after I suggested at least I could view my lost money as a ticket to an entertaining shitshow of self-destruction.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Look slightly to the left of the dude on the right :v:

It took me a second to see it too because the other thing also looks like a silly straw and is much more obvious.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Shalinor posted:

They will shut you down without notice, but also typically tell you why / you can send a message to them through their system and they'll respond. It's very likely they told him exactly why he was shut down, but he didn't like the answer, so he's playing it this way. They ARE kind of dicks about how immediately they act, but they kind of have to, since every second they fail to act is another second you're earning money despite <something that goes against their rules>.

Then that makes this exchange even more amusing. I'm also surprised it hasn't been deleted yet, because yesterday they were in full-on crackdown mode on their FB. Edit: Also 'Kindergarten' is not nearly as amusing as 'What an embarrassing witch-hunt.' so they should really step up their game.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Suspicious Dish posted:

The word is thrown around a lot but those two are hipsters.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's a true, Mario!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The word is thrown around a lot but those two are hipsters.
You're a hipster.

Seriously guys, move on, please. Find a Kickstarter. Let's talk about a Kickstarter. Unless someone is Kickstarting a bendy-straw whiskey drinking club, move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I'm not but I went to a school full of them and have several close friends who are.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)