Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shalinor posted:

If we're calling Winterkewl out for failing to understand the scope of the project, we might as well also call Yogscast out for actively marketing a game that they were refusing to feature/market IN THEIR OWN VIDEOS. Which would have been free, and more effective. That kinda makes me chuckle.

Everyone involved in the kickstarter failed to grasp what they were doing, I don't think there's any doubt about that.

The Yogscast did try to promote the game in their videos (for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIod3ZUBpys) but it was clear that the game was very poor.

There is a noticeable difference between some of the game's artwork (such as the character models which are actually rather good) and the actual gameplay and game mechanics which look extremely simplistic.

The game is made in unity and I imagine the majority of the engine and visible mechanics are handled out of the box by that engine, although I am no expert.

That said, you can certainly see where someone who doesn't really understand what's involved in making a game can see some of those pretty high quality art assets and think "wow, these game developers are really good!" without realising they had no real game development expertise in house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Veotax posted:

Creating and shipping physical merch gets expensive fast (...)
Yeah, it's easy to forget that unlike with some things, shipping costs tend to rise dramatically with volume. Not just due to extra costs involved with the shipping itself, but also requiring extra staff to handle the packaging, the database management to know who gets what and when, and so on. It was a huuuge thing with early unexpectedly successful kickstarters to get hosed over by this, since someone prepared to handle 100 units likely quite swamped at 1000, let alone 10,000.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Has Jotun been mentioned yet? If so, I missed it and apologize.

I think it looks pretty fantastic, and love the artstyle.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682108903/jotun

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well they say at least one guy on their team can code, so that's better than some already!

I definitely like the premise.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

heavy liquid posted:

Has Jotun been mentioned yet? If so, I missed it and apologize.

I think it looks pretty fantastic, and love the artstyle.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682108903/jotun

This reminds me of the Myth cutscenes.

Someone needs to make a (good) Myth reboot complete with wicked animated cutscenes.

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009

Bel Monte posted:

Is it possible to create a kickstarter to kick out this guy by giving the landlord lady all the money she needs for legal fees? It would be amazing if it also somehow made more money than any of this guy's kickstarters.

How about a kickstarter to raise funds to have a bikie gang run him out of town? Stretch goals to include a documentary.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

heavy liquid posted:

Has Jotun been mentioned yet?

Looks pretty cool. I don't get the opportunity to play stocky chicks too often.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pavlov posted:

Looks pretty cool. I don't get the opportunity to play stocky chicks too often.

Oh wow that is some nice artwork :allears:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That is really good design. Also am I the only one who thinks Mark of Kri when I see this?

26k out of 50 already. I hope this gets funded.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 25, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I never played those games despite Sony's massive marketing push behind them and looking really nice. And wasn't there some famous animator on board for all of that? I can see what you mean though. It's got a great sense of movement even in still images.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Polygon wrote a story about recent Confederate Express developments.

Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games

Polygon posted:

Reached for comment Thursday afternoon, Andreas Inghe, who is listed as a team member on Confederate Express on the Kickstarter page, said he too hasn't heard from the brothers.

"I have had no real connection with the 'team' besides making one track for their game demo (and a few unreleased ones) that is up on the Kickstarter-page," he wrote. "I have been waiting for months for an update on when I could start making more music for them, considering that they had officially put me on the Kickstarter page. I am still waiting (have been waiting for almost a year), but I don't know what to think anymore. It all seems a bit fishy. But I could be pleasantly suprised in the end, or not. I hope it will go as planned!"

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Forever optimistic :ohdear:

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Oddly, there was an iPhone game made in 2011 called Awesome Chicken that's listed in most places as being made by "Dennis Logan", but elsewhere by Denys Pashanin. It's been removed from the store.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mirificus posted:

ConEx™ does seem like an increasingly appropriate name.

gently caress I'm starting to think this was all a scam from the start, and the name was a gag on it. Dude is a serious conman. :tinfoil:

That's just too obvious, right? But I fell for it :negative:

Note to self: "really good art and promising design" is no longer enough to back a kickstarter. Returning to my old stringent view of known-teams or playable proof-of-concept games only.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress I'm starting to think this was all a scam from the start, and the name was a gag on it. Dude is a serious conman. :tinfoil:

That's just too obvious, right? But I fell for it :negative:

Note to self: "really good art and promising design" is no longer enough to back a kickstarter. Returning to my old stringent view of known-teams or playable proof-of-concept games only.
He's appropriately named too: Maksym backwards = myskaM :3:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Mirificus posted:

Oh dear, this is the joke that keeps on giving. Sort of like the OUYA but fortunately in a much smaller scale.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mirificus posted:

:stare:

:doh:

At least I only gave him :10bux: :smith:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mirificus posted:

Hate to be That Guy, but I don't get it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Unlucky7 posted:

Hate to be That Guy, but I don't get it.

My Skam

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mirificus posted:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kickstarter Gaming - $10,000 buys you My Skam's False2D-engined ConGame.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I wonder if in his head he really isn't a scammer. He's just so oblivious to the way the world works that he thinks that he is justified in everything he is doing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's a shame because the dude does seem to be a genuinely talented pixel artist, he just too wrapped up in being a terrible person to do anything useful with it.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 25, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Talorat posted:

I wonder if in his head he really isn't a scammer. He's just so oblivious to the way the world works that he thinks that he is justified in everything he is doing.

I hate playing Internet Psychiatrist but this sort of deliberate planned fraud seems like psychopathy. It takes a certain kind of mindset to pull these kinds of planned shenanigans.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hate playing Internet Psychiatrist but this sort of deliberate planned fraud seems like psychopathy. It takes a certain kind of mindset to pull these kinds of planned shenanigans.

You act as though its some elaborate planned scam, when what probably happened was that he quickly got bored making ConEx, and just decided he would instead work on this new totally awesome game idea he came up with.

The AirBnB thing was also probably him just suddenly deciding he didn't want to leave.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The AirBnB thing was also probably him just suddenly deciding he didn't want to leave.

I think filing the counter-lawsuits and deliberately reserving a 30-day time period argue for advance planning. He knew he was reserving a period just long enough to trigger California's laws, and nobody files a lawsuit casually or on a spur of the moment whim.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You act as though its some elaborate planned scam, when what probably happened was that he quickly got bored making ConEx, and just decided he would instead work on this new totally awesome game idea he came up with.

You can be a psychopath and a childish flake at the same time.

The AirBnB thing seems to indicate he knows enough about renter laws to purposefully exploit them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Not to mention it's at least the third time he's filed a lawsuit for sketchy reasons against a landlord and tried to profit off of it. And there's still the question of who actually owns Kilobite because it sure sounds like the brothers do even if they're now denying it!

e: lol http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2702908/Squatters-refusing-leave-apartment-got-Airbnb-horror-story-complain-THEY-ones-harassed.html

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 25, 2014

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Seems like it's hard to serve an eviction notice to Salarian councilors.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, Unrest was extremely depressing and ended very abruptly. Not really sure what to make of it other than its WELP THAT'S THAT ending reminded me far too strongly of KOTOR 2. Anyone else been playing it? As Shyman I think I dodged an assassination attempt during the defence of the city by ignoring the messenger's summons and going out into the slums to keep the peace and I think I spared wedding girl's life by having the soldiers turn her loose. The abrupt ending did feel really poo poo though, I think they just ran out of cash but the entire lack of closure to the drought and ethnic tensions kinda makes the whole thing feel pretty pointless except as a guided tour of a demographic no-win scenario. Still, I appreciate what these guys were trying to do and I'd love to see what they make in the future, hopefully with a more substantial budget.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Except he dumped ConEx right after he got the cash to start up on knuckle club aka if the scam worked once lets try it again on other folks.

Between two bullshit kickstarters and having squatted people and abused Californian law for years, its pretty clear he's a willful con-artist and he knows full well what bullshit he's doing.

I wonder if the people "working for him" are his friends or if they're being conned too :ohdear:
Ugh some people are so lovely. He may be a psychopath, that would explain it, but we don't have doctorates and even if we did you can't do that poo poo over the internet. But regardless, shitheel.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Yodzilla posted:

Not to mention it's at least the third time he's filed a lawsuit for sketchy reasons against a landlord and tried to profit off of it. And there's still the question of who actually owns Kilobite because it sure sounds like the brothers do even if they're now denying it!

e: lol http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2702908/Squatters-refusing-leave-apartment-got-Airbnb-horror-story-complain-THEY-ones-harassed.html

Give the guy a break, he's obviously been laid off from his Azkaban job since Voldemort died and he's just trying to get some new projects started.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wow, he hid his face so the eviction notice couldn't be delivered. I hate this guy so much!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I choose to believe that he's not wearing a cap under the hoodie, but it is in fact a plague doctor mask as I thought it was when I first glanced at the picture.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Man, if only this dude put all that creativity into actually doing something worthwhile instead of researching new and exciting ways of being a huge dick.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Wendell posted:

Wow, he hid his face so the eviction notice couldn't be delivered. I hate this guy so much!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if your face is hidden or not. If you're there, you're getting served.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RadicalR posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if your face is hidden or not. If you're there, you're getting served.

Yeah, but he hid his face so that he could claim not to be there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RadicalR posted:

It said the guy has to hand deliver it to a person who identifies as the defendant. I'm not sure how that works normally, but there you go :shrug::iiam:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Knuckle Club comments, July 17:

Kilobite posted:

What an embarrassing witch-hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Comment relevant because he looks exactly like the Witch-King from LotR, right?