Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Man, Star Citizen is shaping up to be impressive.

EDIT: Ok fine I'll link the real news too. Not sure what to think about this, but I guess this is one of the many vacuums that has sucked up their millions of dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUvwba4DMLY

So basically even Chris Roberts doesn't think a big budget space fighter game is viable in the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

So my copy of that Untold History of Japanese Game Developers book arrived today; I'll be reading it in more depth later when I'm not pressed for time, but there's about 520 pages of two-column interviews from what I've skimmed through so far, just to give an idea of how much content there is, and one of the last pages before the credits and glossary indeed make reference to future volumes. A couple of interesting things I noticed when skimming were interviews with ZUN, the guy who makes the Touhou games, as well as the developer of the Umineko VNs, which didn't seem to be in the scope of what he promised in the Kickstarter but I'm not complaining.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

No Gravitas posted:

Shadowrun is still going.

The base game was OK. I really loved the setting, but the plot wasn't great and the gameplay was easy to cheese. Some patches came out, but I never played them. The expansion came out, I never played it.

Now the director's cut to the expansion is coming out too, and I think backers get it for free. There will be an armor system?

Maybe I will play through things again. It seems like this may what shadowrun was meant to be from the start, finally.

Yeah, backers get it for free, as will anyone who purchased the Dragonfall DLC (which will be removed from the market once the Director's Cut comes out).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Original_Z posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1018579240/night-trap-revamped/posts/953471

Hah, after talking nonstop poo poo about the wii u and their crusade against Nintendo based on principal, they sure turned around pretty quickly! What a joke of a project.

Amusingly enough, The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers creator left a comment about how he wished that the Night Trap people had continued to hold on to their grudge.

John Szczepaniak posted:

I've owned and played various versions of Night Trap over the years, and sincerely enjoyed it. My backing of this was mainly for solidarity.

In update 2 you said:
"We simply have no interest in paying licensing fees to a company that once tried very hard to put us out of business."

I read this and thought, heck yeah, these guys aren't afraid to stand their ground, stick up for their principles, and make a public display of another's poor ethics. Now you've changed your minds. I understand money is money, but it's kind of sad to think some arms were twisted over this (especially considering what would only be a tiny percentage of buyers anyway).

I never backed enough to receive a copy of the game, but I just wanted to say that I really liked the sentiment of that earlier update - best served over ice.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So Chris Roberts is building his own Dust 514? How is he doing both that and the main game?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Yodzilla posted:

So Chris Roberts is building his own Dust 514? How is he doing both that and the main game?
By selling imaginary spaceships and saying $50 million isn't enough.

At least now we know why $50 million isn't enough. :shobon:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kibayasu posted:

So basically even Chris Roberts doesn't think a big budget space fighter game is viable in the market.

Star Citizen, when it's completed, will be every game you've ever wanted. It will be the best FPS you've ever played, the best RPG, the best space game. You'll see! You'll all see!

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Derek Smart delivered on that promise years ago.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Can't wait to get my shiny new STAR CITIZEN FIVE-GAMES-INN-ONE cart.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Star Citizen, when it's completed, will be every game you've ever wanted. It will be the best FPS you've ever played, the best RPG, the best space game. You'll see! You'll all see!

This guy looked at the original pitch idea for Spore and said "they're not thinking big enough."

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shalinor posted:

That CGI trailer that he put out for it probably didn't help much either.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JordanKai posted:

That CGI trailer that he put out for it probably didn't help much either.

I think you mean in-engine teaser trailer. :colbert:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The was actually FMV of Chris Roberts in his space suit shooting at someone in his real space station.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

The was actually FMV of Chris Roberts in his space suit shooting at someone in his real space station.

Livestream of him doing that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yodzilla posted:

Probably the same way CCP did it: poorly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

senrath posted:

Yeah, backers get it for free, as will anyone who purchased the Dragonfall DLC (which will be removed from the market once the Director's Cut comes out).

Do we have an eta on that? I own both and was going to start but now I'm thinking I should hold off.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

GreenNight posted:

Do we have an eta on that? I own both and was going to start but now I'm thinking I should hold off.

They have the release date set at September 18th.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Dragonfall was already a huge improvement in itself and made it a genuinely good cRPG, considering they're tarting it up even more for the director's cut you could do worse than giving it another shot.

Agreed. Dead man's switch was a pretty lousy campaign, but Dragonfall is excellent. Definitely give the game another chance once the director's cut comes out.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

By selling imaginary spaceships and saying $50 million isn't enough.

That's why you need to help raise more money and buy this add-on, a grand piano for your ship hangar. Yes, seriously.

On the other hand, some of the video shown during the GamesCon presentation suggests that the game might not be 100% guaranteed to crash and burn. It's still wildly overambitious (they want to include a complete FPS, space sim, mining, exploration, fish collecting, shipping/trading, etc), but it looks like they're making actual progress on parts of the game that aren't "more space ships to sell to gullible gamers." I'm cautiously hopeful, but I'd still suggest no one spend money on it yet, or at the most pick up the cheapest pre-order pack they offer, plus the $5 pass if you want to play the dog fighting module. DO NOT get overly excited and buy some $400 ship, no matter how shiny it is or how nice its hot tub looks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Goredema posted:

That's why you need to help raise more money and buy this add-on, a grand piano for your ship hangar. Yes, seriously.

Is this game also The Sims?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Honestly, The Sims-style space ship decorating, while incredibly stupid, sounds kind of fun...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Keiya posted:

Honestly, The Sims-style space ship decorating, while incredibly stupid, sounds kind of fun...

There will be fifty million identical 'variants' of the Millennium Falcon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keiya posted:

Maybe Spacebase DF9 will get an 'engines' expansion pack.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Maybe Spacebase DF9 will get an 'engines' expansion pack.

They did mention wanting to do stuff with the planet you orbit, maybe an away mission or something, but that's also far-far future.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is this game also The Sims?

When I said this game was trying to be every game, I was only half-kidding.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Keiya posted:

It certainly has The Sims-style pricing model and DLC. :v:

Honestly I don't want to be so harsh on it but the whole pricing scheme and cash shop just feels so scummy.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 16, 2014

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Not a day passes by that I regret not backing Elite/give thanks for not backing Star Citizen.

At least with Elite you know exactly what you are getting. Plus the geometric spaceships look 80s as hell.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Keiya posted:

Night Trap remake

Five Nights at Freddy's

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ImpAtom posted:

Now more people will donate, right! Come on guys, we're almost at $20,000! Please donate to us...

Yeah the dudes behind it seem to be going into overdrive on the info-front trying to keep the project in the spotlight now that it seems pretty clear it's not going to reach any sort of goal.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jotun hit its funding goal with 3 days to go. I wasn't interested enough to back it, but I'm glad it'll get made regardless. Could be cool.

EDIT: Speaking of Star Command, they're hosting a party this Tuesday at their offices that I'm going to. Might get to play SECRET NEXT GAME. I wonder if it's Galaxies? Huh.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 17, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that looks pretty. They're based out of Montreal, which is neat too. I like that they address the issue of asking for too little in the FAQ as well. Gonna keep an eye out for that one.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Star Command project a while back was to port their mobile game to PC/Mac. Many months later...

Now they've feature-creeped it into Star Command: Galaxies. Or it's a new title, they still claim to be porting the mobile version and will have that out Real Soon Now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Drifter posted:

There will be fifty million identical 'variants' of the Firefly.

Star Wars is the wrong crowd. Star Citizen is all about living out Malcolm Reynolds fantasies in the 'verse.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
If I receive $100 in donations I will record and post 1 hour of gameplay from a barbie game, amen.

Best Regards,
RG

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Star Citizen is all about living out Malcolm Reynolds fantasies in the 'verse.

Flying around with a bunch of cargo and no weapons trying to avoid government patrols?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
As opposed to Elite, which is about flying around a bunch of cargo with not enough weapons, trying to avoid pirates.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Keiya posted:

As opposed to Elite, which is about flying around a bunch of cargo with not enough weapons, trying to avoid pirates.

Hey, that's unfair.
Elite is also about not being able to afford a docking computer and then mismatching your rotation with a space station and slamming side-first into the back wall of the docking bay.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Tippis posted:

Hey, that's unfair.
Elite is also about not being able to afford a docking computer and then mismatching your rotation with a space station and slamming side-first into the back wall of the docking bay.
This could be ALL Elite was about, and I'd still buy it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tippis posted:

Hey, that's unfair.

This actually sounds like a DLC that Kerbal Space Program should be looking into releasing.

Or else a Surgeon Simulator *~in spaaaaace~* dlc where you do surgery in zero-g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, I hear all you need to make docking easy is an Oculus Rift DK2. Peons.