Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

fez_machine posted:

The lead Sheldon Pacotti wrote Deus Ex and has programming chops at least from his website. He's made a game as well called Cell: Emergence, so at least its not a bunch of narrative designers without any experience in programming.
That wasn't really my point. They may be able develop the game they're proposing but nobody knows these guys. There's very few developers that I'd give $34 for the promise of a game. If I have to research who they are first they definitely aren't one of those developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So Shadowgate is getting released tomorrow. Get hype!

Hopefully, we can list this as another successful kickstarted game?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RadicalR posted:

So Shadowgate is getting released tomorrow. Get hype!

Hopefully, we can list this as another successful kickstarted game?

Oh drat, I didn't even know that was a thing. Looks pretty good.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I am going to buy SUPER III only so I can go the entire game without rescuing Phil Fish.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I never thought a Metroidvania about a transforming tetris piece would look this compelling. You unlock tetromino forms, each has an ability (the long one compresses like a spring for high jumps / fits in narrow gaps), you get effectors that let you reverse gravity et al on specific shapes... super dang cool looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaR9q_-gT8Y

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Already discussed :v: The $34 isn't just get-the-game, it's also soundtrack, wallpaper stuff, and "hall of fame" which means your name in the credits. I wonder if they just left out the basic tier by mistake, there haven't been many games that jumped from "thanks for the dollar" to "name in the credits."

I've actually seen this on quite a few Kickstarters. The idea is to maximize the donation amount for people who just want the product, and throw in garbage that most people don't want to make it feel like you're getting more value out of your backing. It's scummy, and I've declined to contribute to campaigns that do it. I once contacted a campaign that was doing it and asked about a "digital download only" tier instead of a DVD and various digital and physical rewards. He understood and agreed that, but soon after I got back

quote:

Thanks again for your feedback and interest. I apologize that I probably spoke too soon in my last email to you. In discussing our levels with my partner, we've decided to maintain the current structure, of course with the understanding that any reward can be waived. The $30 level is our sweet spot, and the most popular level for our backers. We don't want to potentially encourage backers to go lower. So I'd ask you consider backing at the $30 level, and we'd honor any request that you make to withhold rewards and recognition.

"Most popular level" meaning the lowest possible after a $1 "Thanks" tier. So, basically, "No we're forcing you to go at the $30 level if you want to watch our film." I don't really understand this logic - I would think you're losing more money by excluding potential backers than you are by jacking up your tiers artificially.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tetropolis looks half-baked. Not sure they'll be able to spin it into a real, lengthy game. I'll wait until it comes out.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, I got no desire to back a game like that when it's $34 to get the drat thing.
Good news! They've added a $25 pledge level which gets you less of the bells and whistles to go with your game!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shalinor posted:

I never thought a Metroidvania about a transforming tetris piece would look this compelling. You unlock tetromino forms, each has an ability (the long one compresses like a spring for high jumps / fits in narrow gaps), you get effectors that let you reverse gravity et al on specific shapes... super dang cool looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaR9q_-gT8Y

This is like the nottheonion equivalent of videogames.

Not-Molyneux. Seems fake but isn't :cheeky:

That gif is slick as hell, but tetromino castlevania? Shine on you crazy diamond.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sienna Storm got a new $25 tier to get the game. That's better, but I suspect a little too late.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Megazver posted:

Sienna Storm got a new $25 tier to get the game. That's better, but I suspect a little too late.
Pretty crummy pitch video.
Cool to see that apparently Katee Sackhoff is in the game based on the thumbnail.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JazzFlight posted:

Pretty crummy pitch video.
Cool to see that apparently Katee Sackhoff is in the game based on the thumbnail.

Crummy pitch? I think it sounds really interesting, it's just not something I'd preorder at any price.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Zaphod42 posted:

This is like the nottheonion equivalent of videogames.

Not-Molyneux. Seems fake but isn't :cheeky:

That gif is slick as hell, but tetromino castlevania? Shine on you crazy diamond.

The video goes on to combine and compare just about everything to the game too. "We combine platforming with puzzle solving, making tetris with a background like Wall-E while making it a metroidvania style game like a rogue like but with role playing elements and adventure, also it has ice buckets and rap music and you can make tacos".

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

I never thought a Metroidvania about a transforming tetris piece would look this compelling.

"Alucard Was Alone."

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I hope they don't run afoul of the company that owns Tetris (the Tetris Company, funnily enough). They're notoriously litigious.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 21, 2014

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sienna Storm posted its first wacky and hiii-larious update.

quote:

Well, my name is Sergei Filippov and “hello, world!” cause I remember i got similar headline when i just made my blog looong ago :)

First of all – massive THANKS to all of you, who backed our project! Its YOU, who really want to make a difference in contemporary gaming here, and for that – THANK YOU!

Well, you probably ask yourself “and who the heck are you”?

I am original concept creator&owner, executive producer and blah-blah-blah of Digital Knights funded on my own “saved on breakfasts” money.

Sienna Storm is my beloved child, whom I love and care for since the time it was born on several sheets of paper to the time when we created a kick-butt teaser. And it really kick-butt, I am proud of us! Thanks for teaser music&sfx’s&animation&video editing goes to Vlad Isaev (also known as Scann-Tec (Ultimae records) and Aural Network. He did produced some fantastic stuff for Allods Online soundtrack together with Mark Morgan for example. Check his music if you like ambient and psychill!)

So.. back to me. Yep, i have a massive background in commercial management, strategic development (check my boring LinkedIn page if you cant fall asleep - this should help) – all this managerial bullshit that means nothing to the backers. I know how to gather a dream team together and how to manage them to deliver final product.

But backers need to see experienced game devs first. “Gimme Da Devs!” So I wasn’t after cheap fame like “from lead writer of Deus Ex and strategic marketing director of companies X, Y, Z”! How silly would that sounded, eh?:)

That said, having a Master’s degree in Modern History, I was thrilled to give you a story with deep geopolitical intrigues and fill it with betrayal, love and action. Targeted toward mature players (without excessive violence though,everything within reasonable boundaries), made how it should be done, with dedication and passion – without all this f2p bullshit!

Sounds great, but such a story required professionals to gather. So I approached those, who’s work I respect and whom i trust. They believed and fell in love with the project. We further developed a story+ gameplay and they agreed to dedicate their free time to help it launch on Kickstarter. Everything else was left depending on success of a campaign.

Blah-blah, and here we are!

Two days have almost passed! We got fantastic press coverage in day 2 despite somewhat slow poke reaction from some medias (thanks to our dedicated PR freelance manager Jackie Izawa! Chris pointed me to her. Jackie, you rocks!).

Just check these really favorable articles on:

And this list can go on and on!

Though – i will be honest with you - attention from public was way lower then expected. Not many people actually saw the articles or seen our project video.

Can we get this game produced? YES, and it depends on YOU! Spread the word, show our game to your friends, colleagues! We need to get noticed!

And now, lets address major commentaries and concerns we heard so far!

A John Doe, respectable farmer from Iowa questions us: “Why the hell you need $179k? It’s a huge pile of money, you greedy bastards! My nephew can make such a game for a $5k plus add a few bottles of beer and you get a full voiceover made by his fellas!”

Thank you, John. We are no way doubt the talents of your nephew and we respect your commentary. (all farmer thing was a joke of course). Sadly, whats not a joke is that a $179k ($161k if you deduct the Kickstarter and Amazon fees) is not at all a pile of money in a gamedev world. Not even if tripled.

But if you, all my dear fairytale dwellers out there, really believe in pink ponies living atop of a rainbow, I am sorry to frustrate you with saying that actual salary of lets say a some veteran senior designer is about $40/hour net.

Here’s the magic of pure numbers for you:

Yes, that means i still need to invest my own money. And quite a lot i must say (sure its a lot! my surname isnt Gates or Rockefeller, thats all my savings plus borrows!)

Wait! - you say.

$100k just for an art? Yep, and its optimistic price. If each scene is hand crafted (and again, each picture you saw is in-game scene or part of it waiting to be a bit animated), you gonna need about at least 1300-1500 pictures to make your game more then just 30 min long non-linear story.

Yeah, probably some fella might produce all these pictures for $10k, but we care about quality. And you saw our art. Its breathtaking! Wait. Breath out, i still have something to say!

As said before, no way such a game with highlighted quality level could be made in-house (or you’ll be bankrupt in less then 3 months). In our case apart from the core team i will be using small freelance development teams throughout the world (mostly in US) with in-house project management and quality control. That’s the only way it could succeed.

There was a demand from some determined backers who desperately want this project to succeed and we deliver it!

Its veeeery pricey (highest possible) but also very-very tasty one! Backer will get his likeness in game as a secondary-role character. And when I say a “secondary-role” I do not mean a policeman you’ll see for a 5 mins. No, its bigger then that. You give us ideas on personality, character background and we make sure that character with your visual looks (probably bit tweaked after you approve) will be a memorable one!

One note, though: you should agree that your character might be killed (not necessarily) throughout the game (we’ll discuss the details with you) .

Check the new reward description on the main page!

All of you are hungry for more details. And yes, we are currently preparing a gameplay update!

Sheldon prepare a description of our Decisions&Consequences system you’ll be experiencing in game plus some insights about locations you’ll be visiting in game (and there will be plenty of countries and cities to enjoy!)

Tony or Darrell will explain soon about gameplay (with mockups) in both non-action and action scenes. Stay tuned!

JUST ONE FINAL WORD

To all you, who have not yet backed the project!
Dear soon-to-be backers!

I gathered these legendary devs to make a memorable spy-themed thriller. Not a common guest on our shooter/moba/generic mmo/paste other boring stuff oversaturated games market.

If you really want to make a difference and liked the Sienna Storm style - then SUPPORT IT, dammit! Together we can free the game from the deadlock! Otherwise, do not complain that “nowadays, games are all the same, where’s the creative spirit? *sigh”.

P.S. sorry for any possible typos and mistakes made - i am not a native speaker after all

Thank you, our dedicated backers! You trust in us, and THAT is what really matters!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Kickstarter Gaming - "And it really kick-butt, I am proud of us!"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Engauge looks like a promising 2D platformer: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/431842510/engauge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_sS8qhdeyE

Dat robot run :allears:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The people behind Hard West apparently have another game coming out, because they just sent out this update and linked to this unlisted YouTube video:

quote:

Dear backers,

The first project of CreativeForge Games, on which we've worked for, well, some time now, has just been revealed! It's a moment of great pride for our team. Hopefully, it will also give you an idea of our capability and get us a bit more streetcred :-)

Enjoy the trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbjCgwDkLKM

Apparently it will be out on Steam this fall.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Looks cute but I wish the platforming itself was a little more interesting.

By the way, do the pledge numbers seem...off? I don't think it's typical at all for a game project to have $27k pledged with only 123 backers, where only 47 people pledged to the 'get the game' tier. Seems like a bit of self-funding might be going on there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I'm not sure. But as to the platforming, I agree. There's something about that it seems kinda floaty and basic or...something. Maybe playing is different than watching though, hard to tell.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Orzo posted:

Looks cute but I wish the platforming itself was a little more interesting.

By the way, do the pledge numbers seem...off? I don't think it's typical at all for a game project to have $27k pledged with only 123 backers, where only 47 people pledged to the 'get the game' tier. Seems like a bit of self-funding might be going on there.

With those numbers, those 123 people would have to have pledged an average of $218 each. There are higher tiers, but no one has taken anything above $500. At their actual tier numbers, their funding should be at $6430.

Self-funding to boost numbers always conveys the stench of a scam, I'd avoid this one on that principle alone, never mind what the game looks like.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I'm not sure. But as to the platforming, I agree. There's something about that it seems kinda floaty and basic or...something. Maybe playing is different than watching though, hard to tell.
It's because they're optimizing for animation over controls. They have big drawn out landing and jumping animations, a big drawn-out run animation, etc. Makes for charming footage, but it means the actual controls will be somewhere in the neighborhood of dogshit. It's most common when you let artists or graphics programmers do your gameplay code / when you implement art first, controls second.

Anyone remember that Metroidvania ages ago, pixel art, that was being done by a solo artist, female protagonist? Same issue as there. Looks great, controls not so great.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Inspired by the presentation of Bastion and Dark Souls.

Nice.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Dish posted:

Inspired by the presentation of Bastion and Dark Souls.

Nice.
Here's a quote I like about this, from the dev of a hella solid WiiWare game called MaBoShi's Arcade:

MA: I once wrote an article about game design document writing. The first things I wrote were:
Do not describe your game by using some other popular/well-known title names.
You should explain the game first. Do not start the document from the story and characters.
Our focus always has been unique game concepts. We highly value originality. So we rarely draw our inspiration from other videogames.

Well, I can say we get inspiration from something other than videogames. Since we started working on pinball tables, we realized that software development usually happens in very closed space. I think it's hard to come up with new and fresh ideas if you just keep sitting in front of your PCs.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2008/09/mindware_interview_part_1_maboshi_the_three_shape_arcade

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Shalinor posted:

Anyone remember that Metroidvania ages ago, pixel art, that was being done by a solo artist, female protagonist?

I'd be willing to bet you could find several dozen kickstarters that fit this description.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:siren: :woop: :siren:Distance just went beta :siren: :woop: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IWDTeuukfc

I'm thinking of making a separate thread for this game, since it just opened up to a whole lot of people. Thoughts?

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Great Joe posted:

I'm thinking of making a separate thread for this game, since it just opened up to a whole lot of people. Thoughts?

Never seen this before, but it looks pretty rad, so I'd say sure, why not.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

quakster posted:

Here's a quote I like about this, from the dev of a hella solid WiiWare game called MaBoShi's Arcade:

MA: I once wrote an article about game design document writing. The first things I wrote were:
Do not describe your game by using some other popular/well-known title names.
You should explain the game first. Do not start the document from the story and characters.
Our focus always has been unique game concepts. We highly value originality. So we rarely draw our inspiration from other videogames.

Well, I can say we get inspiration from something other than videogames. Since we started working on pinball tables, we realized that software development usually happens in very closed space. I think it's hard to come up with new and fresh ideas if you just keep sitting in front of your PCs.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2008/09/mindware_interview_part_1_maboshi_the_three_shape_arcade

I remember reading that one released document about one of Obsidian's possible future games (that got scrapped, at least for the time being) which kept mentioning Skyrim over and over. It made me uneasy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

I remember reading that one released document about one of Obsidian's possible future games (that got scrapped, at least for the time being) which kept mentioning Skyrim over and over. It made me uneasy.

It was the time traveling one, I think, right? yeah. That's a good quote from that dev, I think. It really cements the fact that you know what you're describing and building.

I mean, I'd love a movie like The Avengers meets Fargo, but there are so many interpretations, it isn't helping anybody.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Shalinor posted:

It's because they're optimizing for animation over controls. They have big drawn out landing and jumping animations, a big drawn-out run animation, etc. Makes for charming footage, but it means the actual controls will be somewhere in the neighborhood of dogshit. It's most common when you let artists or graphics programmers do your gameplay code / when you implement art first, controls second.

Anyone remember that Metroidvania ages ago, pixel art, that was being done by a solo artist, female protagonist? Same issue as there. Looks great, controls not so great.

Iji? Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils? Holdover? That's just off the top of my head. Iji's not quite metroidvania and I haven't played BMD though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Great Joe posted:

So they show 2-player splitscreen in the trailer. Is there 4-player splitscreen (yet)?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cicero posted:

So they show 2-player splitscreen in the trailer. Is there 4-player splitscreen (yet)?

All of these questions - and more - have been answered in the thread

yes there is

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Do you guys think it's a better decision to back games with a smaller scope and lower goals to match, or more ambitious projects that would be impressive if they could actually do everything they pitch?

Gryphon Knight Epic is a Medieval themed shmup where you ride a gryphon and can change directions. I found out about it because the Chroma Squad devs gave it a plug in an update (Chroma Squad Beta testing is going good, just as a heads up if the people who backed the game in this thread are still around). It's made most of its 18K goal with 9 days to spare. I guess that seems like a low goal to me, but I suppose shmups aren't the most complex kind of game to make. The team here seems like they have experience according to the Kickstarter, so you'd think they'd be able to estimate their needs better than a first-time development team. But then again it doesn't mention what previous titles they worked on.

What do you guys look for in order to get a good feel about whether a project is going to succeed or not?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Only small-size indie game I backed was Distance, and that was because the team behind it had made a good game before and was asking to make the same game but Bigger and Better, but in a way that seemed manageable by a small team. Yeah, them limiting their scope was part of it, but they also had pedigree, even if that was just student projects.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I look for in roughly this order:
-A really slick presentation that's had a lot of effort put into it, preferably starting out with a clear and concise description of the game (although Confederate Express had this covered and look what happened with that, so that's probably way less important than the next items)
-A track record of some kind for the developers
-A playable demo, or failing that, lots of good gameplay video
-Lack of stretch goals and physical reward tiers

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Great Joe posted:

All of these questions - and more - have been answered in the thread

yes there is
That's cool! What's less cool is that apparently now you can't buy into the current beta anymore, so I now have to wait until the public beta. I had been waiting until beta to buy the game. Welp.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cicero posted:

I had been waiting until beta to buy the game. Welp.
Not to be a dick, but buying into the beta had been open since the kickstarter started 2 years ago, at $15.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Keiya posted:

Iji? Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils? Holdover? That's just off the top of my head. Iji's not quite metroidvania and I haven't played BMD though.
No, it was a Kickstarter. When I said recent, I mean "in this thread."

Heh, "pixel art artist metroidvania" found it, first hit. Cute. Legend Of Iya. IIRC, testers were saying it had the same issue with platforming feeling chunky, and you can see why with how animation-driven it is.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Great Joe posted:

Not to be a dick, but buying into the beta had been open since the kickstarter started 2 years ago, at $15.
I was waiting until the beta because I figured then it would be in a more complete state and it'd be easier to gauge if it was worth it based on more extensive impressions/previews. I wasn't aware that they would be removing the option to get the beta once the beta launched, because I wasn't actively following its development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

CatsPajamas posted:

Gryphon Knight Epic is a Medieval themed shmup where you ride a gryphon and can change directions.

This doesn't look bad but why is it so slow? They're never going to appeal to even casual shmup fans with gameplay like that.